New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default gnomes or halfings?

i like both the same but, i want to know witch you think is better.

What i say is each have its own ups and down.

halfing
    pros:
    are sneaky
    plus in dex
    cons:
    nines in str.

gnome
    pros:
    have spell like abilities
    plus in con
    cons:
    nines in str.

ps. i did not have the book on me at the so my info may not be right.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Please ignore my speling.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: gnomes or halfings?

Kobolds.

After all, they're lawful, so they probably listen to the rules of grammar and spelling.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gnomes. That is all.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

yah. i do like kolbalds but my dm never lets me play as them because they're evil.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Please ignore my speling.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Too many variables. In terms of classes, halflings are better rogues(unless you count whisper gnomes) and gnomes are better wizards. Both have melee potential with splatbooks, though the halfling is easier to realize(halfling outrider PRC). Just considering the races in isolation(which serves no purpose, but its the only thing we can do with this setup), I'd say the halfling is better dues to racial abilities that are useful more often.

Oh, and you can find most core information in the SRD

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Whisper Gnomes and/or Strongheart Halflings. The regular ol' Gnomes and Halflings can't compare.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Halfling Outrider is awesome. I played a Devoted Tracker (Paladin/Ranger muliclass) that wanted to take levels in it, but the campaign ended prematurely. One day I'd like to play a Gnome Giantslayer, btw.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnomes. I love gnomes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Duh, Strongheart halfling (the one with bonus feat, yeah?) are freaking broken.

Of course, not game breaking broken, but ridiculously good for many classes
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ridly View Post
    i like both the same but, i want to know witch you think is better.

What i say is each have its own ups and down.

halfing
    pros:
    are sneaky
    plus in dex
    cons:
    nines in str.

gnome
    pros:
    have spell like abilities
    plus in con
    cons:
    nines in str.

ps. i did not have the book on me at the so my info may not be right.
    Halfings are Sexy.

Gnomes are dirty.

You can tell which ones I think is better, right?

11. - Top - End - #11

Halfling all the way (unless you have the option to play the only True Gnome - A Whisper Gnome)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Gnomes.
    No doubt or question.

They just get bad PR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Halfling all the way (unless you have the option to play the only True Gnome - A Whisper Gnome)
    Right. Because the only true gnome is a half-breed halfling.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I prefer diction elves.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ridly View Post
    Yeah. I do like kobalds but my dm never lets me play as them because they're evil.
    Not so. Kobolds are usually lawfull evil. It wouldn't be a suprise if there was Chaotic good kobolds running around. I belive the "usually" part means that the somewhere around 50% are that alignemnt, but it's fairly common to see exceptions.
    trill in da playground

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
    It wouldn't be a suprise if there was Chaotic good kobolds running around.
    Oh, that's it, I'm so totally playing an angsty Kobold ranger who dual-wields scimitars one of these days.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's hard for me to decide on this one; halflings are darker than gnomes, but I do like the playful aspect of gnome psychology... halfling are the butt of racial stereotyping while gnomes are construed not to be serious... plus, Paladin and Rogue are my two favorite classes, and they each do exceptional in those respective roles (if Dire Badger mounts are allowed.)
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Duh, Strongheart halfling (the one with bonus feat, yeah?) are freaking broken.
    Um, you know that you give up your +1 to all saves for that, right? It's like your playing a small human.

Anyways, like others have said, each race has it's own bonuses. Halflings hit better with ranged attacks, while Gnomes survive easier. Halfings can multiclass for some Evasion/Sneak Attack, while Gnomes can multiclass for ranks in Use Magic Device. Whisper Gnomes are small but don't suffer a movement penality, while Strongheart Halflings get... the Human bonus feat? Alright then...

Anyways, either can work. I prefer Gnomes myself, because you never really know what they're thinking.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

I try to play my gnomes seriously. It's a bit hard, though, with any small race. It generally takes a good bit of angst and/or determination in order to balance out the "Aww, look at the cute little guy" factor.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Um, you know that you give up your +1 to all saves for that, right? It's like your playing a small human.
    Right, so you get the biggest advantage to being human, plus you also get small size and trade a useless ability score for a useful one, as bonuses. That sounds like a pretty good deal, to me.

And there's no reason gnomes should have an "aw, cute" factor. Think of them as dwarves, but with better senses of humor and cooler toys.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #21

Gnomes definitely.

The fact that gnomes have an ambiguous role in the world make them all that more versatile and dynamic. They fit all of them. Inventor. Prankster. Merchant. Nature-lover.

Halflings get two options: Fat & Happy or Skinny & Happy.

(Also, are people seriously answering this based on mechanics? Seriously?)
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Gnomes definitely.

The fact that gnomes have an ambiguous role in the world make them all that more versatile and dynamic. They fit all of them. Inventor. Prankster. Merchant. Nature-lover.

Halflings get two options: Fat & Happy or Skinny & Happy.

(Also, are people seriously answering this based on mechanics? Seriously?)
    Why do you think I went with Kobolds? They're swarms of clever boops who have massive disadvantages and still manage to be overpowered.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Oh, that's it, I'm so totally playing an angsty Kobold ranger who dual-wields scimitars one of these days.
    Who has a dire weasel instead of a panther.

Gnomes invent things, and halflings do everything else better. Halflings definitely come in second, after kobolds.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm playing a Strongheart Halfling right now, and loving it. The RP for him is.... well, there's quite a bit of "Gollum" in him. He's sniveldy, submissive, but also surprisingly capable when necessary. Good fun.

In general, my Halflings are homeless outcasts, usually because their homeland was destroyed by cataclysm or war... or because they never had one. Either way, they tend to be a scattered and oppressed people, with few places of refuge. At best they're brave survivors striving to restore their people, at worst they're desperate or apathetic loners who've ceased to care and just do whatever it takes to get by. This explains why they often resort to theft and general roguery to support themselves, but also gives them a hint of desperation and melancholy that, to me, makes them a more interesting species.

Gnomes are interesting too. My Gnomes are a little like the Halflings, except instead of having their homelands crushed, they went "underground" (more figuratively than literally, but a bit of both). Where Halflings are the fugitives, Gnomes are the resisters, using their whits and illusions and anything else at hand to undermine the invaders and, on the whole, do a pretty good job of it. My Gnomes are master pragmatists and tacticians, who will use nature, arcane magic (usually illusions), and technology with equal willingness and aptitude.

To use a WWII analogy, Halflings are gypsies while Gnomes are french. To round out the list, Dwarves would be British (entire nation under heavy attack, bit of a siege mentality going on), Human might be the rest of the Commonwealth (engaged, but not on the front lines), and the Elves are.... well, there's no perfect real-world parallel, and not to start a history debate, but possibly they'd be the USA prior to Pearl Harbor (they know it's going on, but are insulated by geography and politics, and for the most part couldn't give a flying patootie).

Now, stretch that out over a few hundred years, ramp the speed of physical and psychological evolution up tenfold, and that's my view of how the D&D races got to be the way they are.

Corollary: I guess that'd make modern Canada full of half-elves? o.0

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I'm playing a Strongheart Halfling right now, and loving it. The RP for him is.... well, there's quite a bit of "Gollum" in him. He's sniveldy, submissive, but also surprisingly capable when necessary. Good fun.

In general, my Halflings are homeless outcasts, usually because their homeland was destroyed by cataclysm or war... or because they never had one. Either way, they tend to be a scattered and oppressed people, with few places of refuge. At best they're brave survivors striving to restore their people, at worst they're desperate or apathetic loners who've ceased to care and just do whatever it takes to get by. This explains why they often resort to theft and general roguery to support themselves, but also gives them a hint of desperation and melancholy that, to me, makes them a more interesting species.

Gnomes are interesting too. My Gnomes are a little like the Halflings, except instead of having their homelands crushed, they went "underground" (more figuratively than literally, but a bit of both). Where Halflings are the fugitives, Gnomes are the resisters, using their whits and illusions and anything else at hand to undermine the invaders and, on the whole, do a pretty good job of it. My Gnomes are master pragmatists and tacticians, who will use nature, arcane magic (usually illusions), and technology with equal willingness and aptitude.

To use a WWII analogy, Halflings are gypsies while Gnomes are french. To round out the list, Dwarves would be British (entire nation under heavy attack, bit of a siege mentality going on), Human might be the rest of the Commonwealth (engaged, but not on the front lines), and the Elves are.... well, there's no perfect real-world parallel, and not to start a history debate, but possibly they'd be the USA prior to Pearl Harbor (they know it's going on, but are insulated by geography and politics, and for the most part couldn't give a flying patootie).

Now, stretch that out over a few hundred years, ramp the speed of physical and psychological evolution up tenfold, and that's my view of how the D&D races got to be the way they are.

Corollary: I guess that'd make modern Canada full of half-elves? o.0
    So are the Kobolds Russia? Or are they one of the South Asian nations?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    So are the Kobolds Russia? Or are they one of the South Asian nations?
    I'm leaning towards South Asia; they get thoroughly pwned but wind up being technological leaders in some areas.

Goblins could be the miscellanious continental europeans, since they exist purely to get pwned repeatedly by whichever side is currently rumbling through. Hobgoblins could be either Germany or Russia... or Japan, really. That leaves Orcs as either Africa or South America, and Gnolls as whichever ones Orcs don't take.

Or we could just abandon this whole analogy before we offend anyone, but that wouldn't be any fun now would it? =P

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Having played EverQuest, I now associate all Halflings with the Hamburglar.

Therefore, I'm with the Gnomes.

28. - Top - End - #28

How do you want to role-play it?

If you want to go more for sneaky, nomadic, tricky, very-mildly-evil type, then go for halfling.

If you want to go more tinkering, playing, light-hearted goofball type, go for the gnome.

If you don't care... Then roll a d2.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I've never played either - I really don't like the little people.

Conversely, I'm a total dwarf fanboy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

In regards to Crunch, I'd say Gnomes...

Personally though, I don't like the 'feel' of Gnomes so I've never played one while I've found Halflings a lot more open to different character styles. That and the names.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran