New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Large Dice

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Large Dice

Hi all,

So I have several sets of large dice. They are perhaps between 2 and 3 times the size of standard dice. They are very easy to read, and hard to lose.

However, one of my players recently said that because they are larger, when you roll them they get less rotations, and as such you're more likely to roll the same thing you rolled the previous time.

This made no sense to me, but I was wondering if there was any truth to this. I rolled like 4 twenties out of 8 rolls last session, which brought this discussion up.

Anyone know?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Large Dice

There's some level of truth to this, but then you just shake them more vigorously and with a wider cupped palm. (Two hands if you need.)

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    However, one of my players recently said that because they are larger, when you roll them they get less rotations, and as such you're more likely to roll the same thing you rolled the previous time.
    The amount of rotations would not affect the randomness of how they turn out. You can already "drop" dice of any size to get the number you're holding in your hand (your player also seems to assume that the dice are not, in fact, rolled in your hand).

Even four 20s in a row is not so unlikely as to be impossible.

The only thing you might have to consider is whether you're dropping the dice or not - do you roll them in your hand, and do they roll when they fall? If they do roll, the size isn't actually affecting anything significantly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I would just try to argue it is the "pimp factor" innate to all large dice that causes them to roll those 20's. 20's are "how they roll." In politically correct circles, substitute "crunk factor."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hairb View Post
    I would just try to argue it is the "pimp factor" innate to all large dice that causes them to roll those 20's. 20's are "how they roll." In politically correct circles, substitute "crunk factor."
    If that fails, you may have to resort to arguing the "Smack" factor. That factor is based off of how much they hurt upon smacking into the other player's face when thrown across the room. Larger dice normally have more weight in that argument, with the exception of D4s.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    If that fails, you may have to resort to arguing the "Smack" factor. That factor is based off of how much they hurt upon smacking into the other player's face when thrown across the room. Larger dice normally have more weight in that argument, with the exception of D4s.
    And of course, the optimum use of D4s as weaponry is to turn them into a trap for those who wear not shoes.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

7. - Top - End - #7

I guess that having the guy next to you roll four 20s would make people suspicious of whatever dice they were using.
    Dice size is not relevant as long as they roll enough. They would be slightly easier to set on a given number if you were actively trying to do so though.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

8. - Top - End - #8

I roll sideways, rather than dropping it after shaking it, so the die rolls visibly on the ground. I also use a cupped hand to block runaway dice. This combination ensures randomness while keeping the die under control.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I roll sideways, rather than dropping it after shaking it, so the die rolls visibly on the ground. I also use a cupped hand to block runaway dice. This combination ensures randomness while keeping the die under control.
    I use a TI-89 with an RNG function.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have one oversized d20. It's somewhere between golf ball and tennis ball sized. I haven't noticed it rolling any differently than any other die, but I only use it for big important rolls. Not because I'm superstitious, but because the giant die makes things that much more dramatic.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate giant dice, because while normal dice go: "ClickRollrollrollrollrollrollroll"

Giant dice go: "CLONKTHUDAThudathudathuda."
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Its not the size of the dice that matters anyways...its how much you Power Attack with it!

Sorry, I just had to...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    I hate giant dice, because while normal dice go: "ClickRollrollrollrollrollrollroll"

Giant dice go: "CLONKTHUDAThudathudathuda."

They make those large plush dice, if noise is really an issue.

Although I have a tough time imagining a game where it wouldn't devolve to a game of dodge-ball by the end of the 2nd encounter.

14. - Top - End - #14

The dice is random, you can assure your player thus. If he/she thinks that he knows something about physics and probability, remind him/her of a couple things whenever he/she cries foul:
    - The Law of Large Numbers, that overtime things average out to be fair.
    - The "Other Law of Large Numbers" namely, that is, unlikely things happen if you give it enough chances. It may be a 1 out of 400 chance to roll two 20s (or two 1s) in a row, but players roll 400 times.
    - Double Blindness. You may throw the die the same way every time, but it is a different random value every time you pick it up, you will get perfectly random results.
    - The pattern-finding tendencies of humans. We identify false positives. We remember unusual responses more than ordinary ones especially if (rather than despite the fact that) we are looking for it.

This skeptic is skeptical of your skeptic.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-09-22 at 02:49 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    This skeptic is skeptical of your skeptic.
    Congratulations. You win at skepticism. Or do you?...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have a golf-ball sized D20, and my roommate has one slightly smaller than a clenched fist. I use both for dramatic rolls, depending on the level of dramatism called for.

Head of a band of bandits who have waylaid the party, rolling to see if he makes his reflex save to catch himself before he tumbles off a cliff, said tumble being PC-inflicted? Roll the golf ball.

BBEG needs to make a saving throw against Disintegration? KATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUNKATHUN... I use the giant d20.

I also roll sideways.
    Current D&D characters: None
    Currently GMing: "The Last War of Outremer", Pathfinder/D&D 3.5
    The Crown and the Ring: Blog where I ramble and muse about elements of gaming culture, game mechanics, the philosophy of Dungeon Mastery (at least as it applies to me), and chronicle, step by step, the creation of a campaign world.