New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Banned

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by brilliantlight View Post
    Elan is CG not LG. A bard can't be LG.
    And only someone munchkin ing would change alignment just so they could abandon their original class for another.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FatJose View Post
    He did Gust of Wind for a reason. People disappear at sea. It happens. Kubota goes on a stroll on the deck, a wave hits a little too hard and..."trip"

Know what I mean?
    Pretty much.

"After murdering his loyal henchperson, Kubota tried to escape via boat. The boat sank."

3. - Top - End - #663
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Of course you realize what this means...

Elan could have hit him a lot harder and still gotten away with it!
    Wik

: Change of plans. Let's get involved.
    : I just want to be clear on the rules here since I'm just a big dumb fighter.
    : Well, I do feel more intimidating...
    : Wow, that is such a stupid idea, I feel dumber just hearing it.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    i'm talking about evil acts, IE crimes against good, not crimes against a society, the latter which are totally subjective
    from
    EE
    But your stance is entirely predicated on "Follow the law == Good". You quote selectively from BoED where that statement is true and avoid sections that say otherwise.

If you kill a billion insects with "Death Spell" that are swarming and merely wanting lunch, they had no chance to surrender, no malice and comiting no crime.

And for you this act would be evil.

And taken to the extreme, the Evil Overlord with the doomsday device isn't *actually* pressing the "boom" switch *right this instance* so is only a POTENTIAL threat. So shooting that SOB in the head when their hand goes toward it MUST be evil. Yeah?

What about Carcer? Never intended to surrender. When he said "I surrender" it was only to get you off your guard and stab you to get away. And how does V know this is not going to be the case? One Ninja is still unaccounted for and Elan isn't a tank to take a mid-level (especially poisoned) sneak attack. How does V know this isn't going to happen?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

that was a brilliant episode! hehe.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Remember that Elan said, "Dun Dun DUN" when V gave indications that his personality has shutdown.

Elves need to rest, even if they don't sleep. How long has it been since V took the time to rest? His body is failing, and now his mind is being affected.

Insane, powerful Elf who literally allows himself to die in the pursuit of power, with a Powerful Cleric trying to keep that powerful Elf alive and in the world...

What's positive Elf Lich called again?.. Baelnorn?
    Last edited by Jorrath_Zek; 2008-09-23 at 01:48 PM.
    ~Jorrath Zek
    I live in my own little world,
    But it's okay, they know me here!!!

7. - Top - End - #667
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pjackson View Post
    Because it is evil.
    You are causing unnecessary suffering to that orc.
    Nope, if you captured the orc, tied them up, made them wait to find out if they could get mercy (from those round-eyes? Pfft yeah). Making them walk to their doom with no way of changing it. Worse, what if it was an air sprite or other agoraphobic monster? Putting it in prison is TORTURE.

Shooting straight in the head kills instantly. A coup-de-gras does in D&D terms. No pain, no suffering.

And in Japan, only those without honour surrendered. And those without honour were not humans and were not deserving of life.

Don't put western culture (which has been broken COUNTLESS times anyway) on another culture's moral system.

It could be that V's actions are, to the nobles, EXACTLY the right thing to do. His actions cannot be proven, he's won his aim. He's right. And that's a viewpoint that HAS been accepted in literary fiction many times. Read "Daughter of the Empire" for one example.

8. - Top - End - #668

The usage of gust of wind was to save debates with the (at this time) non-present young family. So far only Elan and V know about what happened.

The comment of V was clearly a statement for TN because it simply doesn't bother him wether life or death, law or chaos is needed to reach his/her/its goal: to find Haley and get a grip on Roy, both good friends.
    A really good show of TN imho.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by entropomorphic View Post
    YAY!

I say clearly Chaotic Neutral for V's action... Chaotic because V was blatantly ignoring law and order for the sake of expediency
    But a creature of pure law would KNOW that Kabuto deserved death. Would KNOW that death was the only answer. And so carry out judgment.

Immediately.

Where a purely chaotic person may have decided that Kabuto had lost his scheme and maybe he'd learned a lesson. That there's a law against it doesn't matter. And since they lost and continue to lose, why waste time on lawful prosecution?

You can argue either way and it still fits.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're talking about Japan now?

Should we discuss WWII-era Japan's treatment of prisoners based on their concept of how "dishonorable" surrender was?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It could be that V's actions are, to the nobles, EXACTLY the right thing to do. His actions cannot be proven, he's won his aim. He's right. And that's a viewpoint that HAS been accepted in literary fiction many times. Read "Daughter of the Empire" for one example.
    Now THAT would be a golden solution to this arc. The Paladins angry... But the Nobles backing off (albeit temporarily) because they were bested by their own rules. Kudos to you, sir Eric!
    There are thousands of good reasons magic doesn't rule the world. They're called mages. - Slightly misquoted Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

To reiterate my point, EE, look at page the latter half of page 73 of the book of exalted deeds, keeping in mind that assassination is murder.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Pixie in the Playground

This is not PHIL 101. V is clearly not evil. Get over it. As for the whole "murder" cries, you kill things in D&D. A lot. That applies to Good, Neutral, and Evil. Some chaotic good would have done what V did, most true and chaotic neutrals would have, and yes, same goes for evil. Just because a lot of alignments WOULD do the same thing in this one instance doesn't throw away V's entire record.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I love this bit of speculation. If Kubota died because he incorrectly categorized V as "effectively a Paladin," it'll be interesting to see what happens if the other nobles now start treating V as a rival (and bloody dangerous) noble.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Barbarian in the Playground

V is awesome and the strip is awesome, but his visage full of cracks and with oversized eyes scares the crap out of me...
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was unexpected.

I do believe V is walking down the road of Vecna, Szass Tam, Kel'Thuzad, and Xykon. I don't think of him/her (I'm neutral in that issue, thank you) as evil (but killing Kubota was probably evil), but judging by his/her condition, it doesn't bode well...

17. - Top - End - #677
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taljen View Post
    This is not PHIL 101. V is clearly not evil. Get over it. As for the whole "murder" cries, you kill things in D&D. A lot. That applies to Good, Neutral, and Evil. Some chaotic good would have done what V did, most true and chaotic neutrals would have, and yes, same goes for evil. Just because a lot of alignments WOULD do the same thing in this one instance doesn't throw away V's entire record.
    There are two bits of speculation here, which have to be kept separate:

(1) Was frying Kubota an evil act?

(2) Is V an evil character?

It's very clear that the answer to (2) is no, at present--V is fighting to save the universe, and is driving Vsself into the ground out of anguish at not being able to save friends. Those aren't the actions of an evil being. On the other hand, V couldn't care less about the dirt farmers, so neutrality seems more likely than good.

I think it's a stretch to claim that the act itself was anything but evil. That's not necessarily a problem for a neutral character, unless V starts making a habit of roasting every obstacle. V has always had a justifiable but dangerous streak of arrogance that could easily lead V downwards from neutrality.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

But a creature of pure law would KNOW that Kabuto deserved death. Would KNOW that death was the only answer. And so carry out judgment.
    I must disagree.

A creature of pure Law would be bound to operate within a lawful framework. A creature of Law would not condone unlawful punishment. Unless the creature of pure Law was itself a magistrate, given legal power to prosecute, condemn, and punish, it would have no right to exact punishment from the guilty.

A creature of Law, therefore, would be required to bring Kubota before the nearest competent authority and work for his conviction and punishment within the legal system.

To a creature of pure Law, Law = Good. To such a being, an unlawful act is automatically a wrong act, and this they will never do.

The reason She Who Must Not Be Named could do Detect Evil + smite was because she was a commissioned officer of the law -- divine law -- to execute evil whenever and wherever she found it. Most law officers do not have a writ nearly so broad.

For most people the powers of the law are broken into four: the power to arrest, the power to prosecute, the power to condemn, and the power to carry out the sentence. A being of pure law would summarily slay Kubota only if it possessed all four of those powers. Absent such powers, the most a being of pure law could do would be the equivalent of Citizen's Arrest.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Dwarf in the Playground

V is all sorts of awesome.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Frazer View Post
    This sort of ending doesn't only destroy a promising future plotline, it also actively taints and spoils everything leading up to it - Burlew is in effect openly conceding this entire sub-plot's ultimate irrelevance with such a perfunctory ending that directly admits the plot's incidental nature. This corrupts the memory of several dozen comics with a deflating sense of purposelessness.(
    To me this sort of ending makes everything leading up to it 10x more hilarious at least. And it is SO DnD.

21. - Top - End - #681

PaladinGuy

Wow, great strip. I haven't read all the comments, but who thinks that this will affect V's alignment?

I kid, I keeed . . .

Although the way K got zapped like that in the middle of his monologue did remind me of a great moment in the Heroes premiere last night:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sylar had broken into Claire's house, and trapped her in the closet. He then proceeded to spent several minutes talking about power and how He Was Different and all that jazz, getting so caught up in monologing that he failed to notice Claire sneak up on him, right until she stabbed him in the heart with a kitchen knife. I cheered. Of course, things didn't go so well for Claire after that, but still . . .

I just about cheered out loud. Since I didn't see the update until this morning, it made me a great birthday present!

22. - Top - End - #682
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I am pretty sure I would consider that a Chaotic GOOD action. I know killing someone without a trial seems evil but he just explained graphically why he can NEVER be brought to justice. A paladin wouldn't have done that but I can't blame V at all. He doesn't believe in the system. And I wouldn't either considering all they have learned about that society. I sure hope he doesn't come back.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malakim2099 View Post
    Well, there are definite advantages to being True Neutral/Unaligned.

Don't think so. They need to be said to the right person at the right time for the wrong reasons. I don't think, from a neutral standpoint, that this would be considered "wrong". Depends on Elan and Durkon's reactions.
    Well, as I see it, Kubota WAS the right person (the person that at that moment deserved it) at the right time (If V didn't do that at that moment, Kubota would have got away again) AND for the wrong reason (kill an unarmed, dominated and willingly surrendered enemy just because he has a plan to escape is still wrong and not a good act at all)

Just my opinion, but malakim2099 may actualy have a point.
    -"And the giant dwarf is the good guy..."
    -"That's an oximoron".

Spoiler
    Show

-"And each one would drive you MAD! MAD!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I must disagree.
    Ye, I know you must

A creature of pure Law would be bound to operate within a lawful framework. A creature of Law would not condone unlawful punishment. Unless the creature of pure Law was itself a magistrate, given legal power to prosecute, condemn, and punish, it would have no right to exact punishment from the guilty.
    Why? You make this assertion. But the absolute Law (Mechanus) has each cog determinedly doing its thing. No free will, nothing other than the inevitable. And if the perp IS guilty and death IS the only answer and exection IS the method that will be applied, Lawfully, kill them now.

***GOOD*** would be "I can't tell for CERTAIN, so we must have proof" (not in this case). Or "It is better that a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be punished" (again, natch).

But that's not LAW. That's LAWFUL GOOD.

To a creature of pure Law, Law = Good. To such a being, an unlawful act is automatically a wrong act, and this they will never do.
    Nope. LAW==LAW. There IS no good. Good is bad because it encourages "mercy" which is (from another fantasy book, "Wizards First Rule" series, I think) injustice to the innocents who pay for your mercy. Evil is bad because it wastes time and resources (torture is a terrible way to get information). See the Eddorians in the Lensman series (Second stage, where they are with the Eich, who ARE evil).

So LAW == LAW.

[/QUOTE]

25. - Top - End - #685
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by dcviana View Post
    (kill an unarmed, dominated and willingly surrendered enemy just because he has a plan to escape is still wrong and not a good act at all)
    Kabuto had not surrendered. He'd just avoided a fight. He's just fighting with finessing the rules, rather than poison weapons.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is why every good party needs one neutral member. To do the dirty work.

Awesome comic. I wonder how big the thread will get with this debate raging? I'ma guess 31 pages before the next comic; any takers?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llelldorin View Post
    I think it's a stretch to claim that the act itself was anything but evil. That's not necessarily a problem for a neutral character, unless V starts making a habit of roasting every obstacle. V has always had a justifiable but dangerous streak of arrogance that could easily lead V downwards from neutrality.
    I agree. V has let her obsession with her goals begin to turn her. There is no doubt that she performed one evil act here. Also it is undeniable that her behavior has become decidedly less kind recently.

I can't wait to see how Durkon will react when he hears about this. Of course he will cause Elan can't keep secrets. (Does he even know what a secret is?)

28. - Top - End - #688
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Llelldorin View Post
    I think it's a stretch to claim that the act itself was anything but evil.
    Is it evil to kill another who killed your family in front of your face?

Only if you enjoyed it. Only if you do to them WORSE than they did to you.

If V'd danced for joy or said "Booyah, biatch!". Yes.

Like when Sam Vimes killed Angua's brother in "The Fifth Elephant". Sam knew if he'd said "Fetch" then what he'd done WOULD be murder.

And there are VERY FEW people as LAWFUL GOOD as Sam. Esmie is about the only other. Both have them watching themselves, afraid they'll LIKE the power and turn to the bad. Sam is so lawful he defeats an unkillable demon of pure chaos because HE WILL NOT.

V's just done a Sam.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Orc in the Playground

Is this like a record number of posts for a discussion thread for such a recent comic?

30. - Top - End - #690

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir13 View Post
    Definitely a neutral act. True neutral, perhaps.
    While part of me is quite glad that V nipped that trial in the bud, the other part is cringing at what is to come and poor Elan is going to be caught in the middle.
    You know how I know that V is still Good-Aligned?

She said "please."