New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: OOTS #595 - The Discussion Thread

In #20 Belkar said "In the future remind me to wait until late afternoon before insulting Vaarsuvius"

I don't think there is a proper time anymore.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

desperate times call for drastic measures

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Now I would judge it was better that Kubota stand trial, but this is an outsider’s view, and is certainly a rebuttable view. So let us consider the “sin”.
    Let's not, because it's not Kubota's actions or future actions that are important. After all, one could simply wait to see how the trial went, and if Kubota walks, THEN kill him. V has the power to kill Kubota - kill anyone in the fleet, quite possibly - at any time, it seems. But killing him while he's helpless and in custody? Certainly not ethical, and certainly not moral, either. There's no way out of that.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I think V just voiced an underlying current of opinion in the community.

Also, loved Elan's face of pure shock/horror.
    QFT thought I wans't all that annoyed I do prefer that they just... go kill the damn snarl thing. I mean, how many other side-quest-y problems they have to solve:

a) The Linear Guild (because it WILL show again)
    b) The Whole Harley & Cia problem on Greysky
    c) Roy Ressurection, agravated with the "b" situation
    d) And of the Azure City thing (or lack of azure city)
    Pround Founder and Master Teamancer of the The Outstanding Banjo Teaparty Club!

Hate-a-miko-mancer of the Miko Anti-fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    You can now make a will save.

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    There's a little part of every one of us that doesn't care exactly what we're humping.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Certainly not ethical, and certainly not moral, either. There's no way out of that.
    Depends on your ethical and moral code, now, doesn't it?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #216

DrowGuy

V has certainly never been accused of being lawful. However, it appears that he is shifting toward evil.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Absolutely! The "cop out" alignment is Chaotic Neutral. You can do anything and find any reason to justify it as long as you don't do the same thing too many times in a row.

V's days are numbered anyway. I don't think s/he survives much longer. (In game time not real time)

8. - Top - End - #218

GnomeWizardGuy

Even if V's only motivation was expedience, it was still a good act (a chaotic act, but still good). When the fate of the world is literally at stake, and every second counts, you don't have time to offer due process to someone who has admitted to you their crimes, their plan to play the courts, and their intention to continue with their evil schemes, all of which impede your ability to SAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD.
    Last edited by Finwe; 2008-09-22 at 08:37 PM.
    Real wizards use staves

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. That sure is a quick and tidy way to tie up a story line. I guess we'll just sweep all that under the rug and call it resolved.
    It will be funny to see if the characters reflect back on the incident.
    Awesome avatar by Lanky Bugger

10. - Top - End - #220

About todays comic:
    Can I just say that Vaarsuvius is my favorite character from now on?

(And a big thank you to Rich Burlew for the amount of updates lately.)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Actually, it depends on Mount Celestia's ethical and moral codes, and it's not hard to see this doesn't fit them.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, I think that was awesome. I was thinking "You know, it'd just be much more efficient to kill him now. Too bad Elan would never do that." Then, "Disintegrate." Something about the death seemed anti-climactic, too. He was just hit and...died.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

13. - Top - End - #223

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    Wow. That sure is a quick and tidy way to tie up a story line. I guess we'll just sweep all that under the rug and call it resolved.
    It will be funny to see if the characters reflect back on the incident.
    Actually, V swept the remains out to sea rather than under a rug...
    Real wizards use staves

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    You are jumping to conclusions here. V has much better motive than that.
    I'd point out that you're jumping to conclusion about V's motives yourself, since the only thing V has said on the subject so far is "Now can we PLEASE resume saving the world", but then I remember that when the comic doesn't match the evidence in your head, you just make up the evidence you need.

By the way, if V killing an unarmed, defenseless captive, (who was not even a warrior or someone who was capable of defending himself in battle) without any warning is a good act, then why was Roy attacking Miko post fall such a bad act again that you were swearing up and down that Hinjo and the deva must have been tearing him a new one between comics, so that we convienently never saw it? You know, aside from the fact that Miko was a favorite character of yours.

David continues to remind me of a Shakespeare quote. "Faith, here's an equivocator who could swear in both the scales against either scale".
    Wandering, but not lost

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me

Whenever someone is complaining about the comic violating D&D rules, just open this spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show

If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading. You are guaranteed to be continually frustrated and disappointed, because I don't care about that at all.
    -The Giant

Rules lawyers: rules only matter in a campaign, not a story!

15. - Top - End - #225

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lira View Post
    But V got rid of all the evidence and Elan is the only other witness (I think), so who's going to know?
    V will know. Ethics are what we do when no one is around.

16. - Top - End - #226

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Frazer View Post
    Ugh, what a dismal cop-out.

I dreaded this sort of outcome over the last few strips, and now that it's arrived, it's as drearily anticlimatic as expected.

This sort of ending doesn't only destroy a promising future plotline, it also actively taints and spoils everything leading up to it - Burlew is in effect openly conceding this entire sub-plot's ultimate irrelevance with such a perfunctory ending that directly admits the plot's incidental nature. This corrupts the memory of several dozen comics with a deflating sense of purposelessness.

A very bad call, and a very disappointing strip. :(
    No. It's only a cop-out if nothing comes of it. (See: Willow the Flayer from Buffy. Her vigilante justice only led to greater trouble.)

17. - Top - End - #227

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The arc is OVAH!
    Is it?

I remember the Futurama episode in which Leela wished she were a little more impulsive...

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh wow. Now that was just badass.

Awesome strip.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Is it evil to kill a murderous wizard with his arms tied but his mouth free and bragging about how many non-somatic spells he has prepped? Is it evil to kill a ancient tyrant, who poses no physical threat but whose armies pillage and burn across the world as he gloats how his armies will scourge your homelands?

Is it evil to kill a prisoner whose abilities are in no way bound?

Kubota's threat was never physical (Therkla might disagree but meh). Kubota had just taken lethal action against V and many others. Minions count, guys.

Chaotic Good. Albeit irritable from "sleep" deprivation.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't believe it... I almost agree with David Argall!

I would not class it as a good act, but V's disintegration of Kabuto certainly seems practical. Kabuto was more than a minor inconvenience; he summoned imps and unleashed ninja and demons on Hinjo's people. He then openly boasted about how he could easily abuse and manipulate the legal system to ensure that justice could not be done, and could in fact use it to make the situation even worse for the good guys.

After hearing that boast, killing Kabuto on the spot cannot be good, but how can trial be an ethical choice? If you believe Kabuto's very credible boast, choosing to go to trial becomes utterly naive.

What Rich Burlew seems to have done here is a OoTS version of Kurt Busiek's Kingdom Come, in which Magog executes the Joker after he has been captured. When Superman brings Magog to trial, he is disgusted when Magog's position receives acceptance and the justice system lets him go.

But Magog's points are not easily refuted - he's no straw man: the Joker killed dozens, and he has killed dozens in the past. Every time he is captured, he escapes again and again, and kills again and again. How many times can this happen before people realise that the idealised idea of the Joker's imprisonment and possible rehabilitation was not worth as much as the lives of all the people whom he was killing, time and time again. Magog killed the Joker not out of evil, but out of frustration, and in the wake of a monstrous massacre that the Joker had engineered.

Given the power and resources that Kabuto had, and the scale of the murders that he had in mind, a very similar argument can be made regarding V's decision-making. So I would not be so quick to write V off as evil; while not good, her utter frustration with the situation is understandable.

21. - Top - End - #231

V IS #1!!! <--- For the elf who killed the only villains in the plotline.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

22. - Top - End - #232

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eraniverse View Post
    Is it evil to kill a murderous wizard with his arms tied but his mouth free and bragging about how many non-somatic spells he has prepped?
    Check out Identity Crisis, and get back to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Crisis_(comics)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ha! I knew Kubota had it coming.
    My last breath... is also my mintiest- Thieve's Guild Guy
    Tear down creation just to see if you can- Jephton the Unholy
    Punish the Dragon-Bitch- Ganonran, Terror of a Tousand Planes
    Hey! My purse!- Kobold Theif
    Thank you for so generously healing the sunburn I only had because of you-

24. - Top - End - #234

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Person View Post
    I can't believe it... I almost agree with David Argall!

I would not class it as a good act, but V's disintegration of Kabuto certainly seems practical. Kabuto was more than a minor inconvenience; he summoned imps and unleashed ninja and demons on Hinjo's people. He then openly boasted about how he could easily abuse and manipulate the legal system to ensure that justice could not be done, and could in fact use it to make the situation even worse for the good guys.

After hearing that boast, killing Kabuto on the spot cannot be good, but how can trial be an ethical choice? If you believe Kabuto's very credible boast, choosing to go to trial becomes utterly naive.

What Rich Burlew seems to have done here is a OoTS version of Kurt Busiek's Kingdom Come, in which Magog executes the Joker after he has been captured. When Superman brings Magog to trial, he is disgusted when Magog's position receives acceptance and the justice system lets him go.

But Magog's points are not easily refuted - he's no straw man: the Joker killed dozens, and he has killed dozens in the past. Every time he is captured, he escapes again and again, and kills again and again. How many times can this happen before people realise that the idealised idea of the Joker's imprisonment and possible rehabilitation was not worth as much as the lives of all the people whom he was killing, time and time again. Magog killed the Joker not out of evil, but out of frustration, and in the wake of a monstrous massacre that the Joker had engineered.

Given the power and resources that Kabuto had, and the scale of the murders that he had in mind, a very similar argument can be made regarding V's decision-making. So I would not be so quick to write V off as evil; while not good, her utter frustration with the situation is understandable.
    Lois Lane gave her life so that the Joker be captured. She revealed herself so the Joker wouldn't get away. Magog killing him made her sacrifice a waste. Read the novelization by Maggin. Oh, and Magog's zeal for justice atomized Kansas.

Oh, and again, Elan is Lawful Good. What is V going to do to make sure he doesn't talk? Hm?

There's the quick and easy way, which always gets people in trouble.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2008-09-22 at 08:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Kobold

There's an old saying: two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Question: If V has been getting as little sleep as has been implied, then how is (s)he been preparing new spells?
    Sleep isn't required for Wizards, only meditation while reading their spellbook, as of v3.5. I haven't kept up on v4.0 to know if there was a change
    Last edited by wyattbatman; 2008-09-22 at 08:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Kobold

I just wonder if V just caused the deaths of more innocent people.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

8 pages already? Wow, important comic. I'm very glad Kubota didn't live to see comic #600, though - at least now we know nothing really important will happen involving him in that.

It would be funny if Vaarsuvius's ancient elven god of secrets drained away her/his wizardry next comic, but that would be ridiculous and it won't happen. Oh well.

I just wish that now that Kubota's dead, the mass of people spelling his name "Kubuto" or "Kabuto" or "Kabota" (I've seen all three) would stop spelling it that way. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything.

Edit: Jonah, Elan is Chaotic Good.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2008-09-22 at 08:57 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

(8 pagers after, but...)
    WORD.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    O

M

G!!!!!!
    My reaction exactly. WIN!

Don't know about Lawful-Chaotic, but to me this was a clearly Evil act. Evil is defined in DnD essentially as killing people, and, well, s/he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 PHB
    Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

Evil implies harming, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient or if it can be set up. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some malevolent deity or master.
    Emphasis mine. Aside from the actual killing by V, Kubota's death this way was much more convenient than a full trial would have been and saved lots of time, effort, and whatever else. Hence, evil.

Also, I agree with the people who say these are V's four words.