New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Bizarre Character Concepts

What are some really bizarre character concepts you've seen, had, or played?

Here are some that I've haven't yet played:
    -A halfling who is insistent that it is his mission in life to become a Frost Giant (specifically, the king of them) when he has never met a Frost Giant before and has no reason to believe this. I haven't decided (and more importantly, the halfling hasn't decided) how he will go about achieving said goal, but the fairly obvious thing is that it will be a best a bizarre charade and at worst a complete failure.
    -A construct originally designed as a sexbot for a now-dead wizard. Robbed of her prime directive, "she" now tries to integrate into society as a normal person. She has only been trained to speak in sexual phrases, and therefore adopts these phrases to communicate nonsexual comments. For example "Oooh, yeah" would be her typical response for "yes", "Do you think you can handle me, big boy" might be an attempt to threaten someone, and "Hold me, now" would indicate fear or caution. Now I'm not a pervert, but I think this character concept would be a) amusing to say the least b) a surreal contrast to any situation c) ironic in that many people would think she is always being sarcastic when really she is being quite literal. Of course, I don't know if I could actually play a character like this and be taken as the source of amusement rather than the subject thereof.
    -A large ooze that behaves more like flubber than the blob. Literally with the mind of a child, the ooze is carefree and playful even as it is too large to fit anywhere and burns things at its touch. Deep inside, he just wishes someone could learn to love a thing like him. Awwww everyone says at the hideous muck with disintegrating bones hanging off the sides.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-09-22 at 04:31 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Bizarre Character Concepts

I'm playing a Harlequin-like character in a DnD campaign. A bard that kills people while/by dancing, destroys things, commits robbery, and sings, all in an unnecessarily over the top fashion.
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-09-22 at 04:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

It might have been someone on here, but I've heard someone describe a halfling rogue who ran around pretending to be a human child, just to pull off some wicked shenanigans. With a high enough bluff score, it'd be easy to pull off.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I have a great idea for a Paladin who has rejected his faith in his deity and has instead become an atheist trying to figure out where his power comes from. His best guess so far is nuclear fission.

Obviously this would have to be in a system without ridiculous rp restrictions. 4E could work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A monk with an afro that acted like a bag of holding. So when they ever got into troble he pulls a latter or wepons out of his hair ><
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I want to play as a Cleric who worships himself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'm impressed. The best one I ever had was a large phoenix who had a series of escapades, and was just ancient, with a somewhat childish personality. He didn't know caution, was still hopelessly naive, and had a slight attachment to the modern world, as well as a penchant for telling stories, such as that time this cart dealership ripped him off with the fine text, and he had to replace their cart with some nearly magical cart made of far better materials because it fell in the water after he didn't realize that the logs on what looked like the dock weren't actually attached together with ropes or anything. He eventually managed to get himself stuck in a sword, although he can come out fairly often. Plus there was the time he got stuck in the bottom of an ocean when trying to talk to a mermaid and not seeing the wave in front of him due to being distracted. At age 1300. And he learned nothing from being stuck at the bottom of the ocean for a few hundred years.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2008-09-22 at 07:21 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaje View Post
    I have a great idea for a Paladin who has rejected his faith in his deity and has instead become an atheist trying to figure out where his power comes from. His best guess so far is nuclear fission.

Obviously this would have to be in a system without ridiculous rp restrictions. 4E could work.
    That WOULD explain why 'Detect Evil' can be blocked by a lead sheet. . .
    I have rolled up, though I haven't gotten a chance to play as her, a half-orc sorceress, raised by halflings, who worships Yondalla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

bizarre character concepts you say? I could probably come up with some.....

a wise, and devoted cleric who is a bit eccentric and/or insane, who believes in a non-existent deity

a fighter that believes his sword is alive, nuff said.

maybe a wizard who has a theory that magical arcane energy somehow comes from some ridiculous source, and comes up with the weirdest explanation about magic works

a bard, a goth bard.

a half-elf who constantly has an identity crisis over whether hes human or an elf.

a dwarf who wants to fly, nuff said.

a catfolk who is constantly paranoid about the existence of a dogfolk race, when none exist.

and to think this is all those I came up with just right now....

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Trizap View Post
    a bard, a goth bard.
    One of my friends has an idea for a bard who sings hardcore punk music. Calls it bardcore.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Dwarven, alcoholic, Fist of the Forest hobo. Lives in a wooden box he carries around with him, and goes into taverns and beats up patrons to take their drinks since he can't buy them for himself.

12. - Top - End - #12

Someone with a high bluff score who wears a hat of disguise, and disguises themselves as someone who is not wearing a hat. They then go into town and insist they are wearing a hat, and see how many people argue with them....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

A dwarf that hates the earth, to the point that he doesn't walk on it, choosing instead to float. Really ought to find a game where I can actually play him, I've had the idea for a while now.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I want to play a dragonborn cleric who was raised by fundementalist religious humans who taught him that dragons and dragonborn were evil, and so he ends up with huge amounts of self-loathing, to the point that he tends to absentmindedly scratch the scales off the backs of his hands, leaving raw and bloody skin. Perhaps by the time he becomes an adventurer, he's gone through a lot of therapy and isn't quite so messed up, and perhaps even realizes that everything he taught as a child was crazy, but deep down he still hates himself.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm currently playing an Exalted NG Female Half-Ibixian Half-Minotaur Cleric turned Saint after being turned to stone for the greater good. Whew, that's a mouthful. She's pretty fun.

I would like to some day play a character who dual wields spring-loaded gauntlets.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

bizarre character concepts you say? I could probably come up with some.....

a bard, a goth bard.

a
    Kind of reminds of Josh's second character in the short lived web comic Chainmail Bikini
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

well, i once came up with an idea of a thri-kreen running away from the love of his life. why? well, you know what happens when praying mantises mate...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You could do that in 3e, too. Nothing in the paladin's code says anything about piety: As long as you stay honorable and Lawful Good, you can doubt the gods as much as you'd like.

Personally, I've been toying with the idea of a cleric who worships Pelor, Manwe, Or, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, and Ra, collectively. He often carries on personal conversations with them (which everyone else can only hear half of, of course). Fortunately, they usually advise him well. He wields a Legitimate Sword, which is an exotic one-handed weapon that requires 13 Str (or a martial two-handed weapon), and does 1d10 damage, 19-20 x2. What's that you say? Of course not! How dare you question the legitimacy of a weapon of the gods!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Personally, I've been toying with the idea of a cleric who worships Pelor, Manwe, Or, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, and Ra, collectively. He often carries on personal conversations with them (which everyone else can only hear half of, of course). Fortunately, they usually advise him well.
    Odin: Well that's some good killing for the day, whose up for some drunken debauchery?
    Jupiter: I am!
    Zeus: Only if there are wenches.
    Pelor: No no no! Those killings were regrettable not good...
    Odin: The only thing that was regrettable was that your weak-butt wasn't pulling your weight when we all were smiting.
    Jupiter: High Five!
    Odin: Up top!
    Zeus: Down low! (if you know what I mean...)
    Manwe: Does anyone know what you mean anymore?
    Pelor: The sun of Pelor does shine its light into the darkest places and it is the opinion of this diety that one should act according to the high standards set by the sun.
    Ra: AKA me! Seriously folks, how awesome is the sun anyway?
    Zeus: Not as awesome as thunderbolts!
    Odin: We are losing focus from the very important things!
    Jupiter: Like drunken debauchery!
    Odin: Exactly...
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-09-22 at 08:57 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Call of Cthulhu:

A 2nd generation Japanese immigrant in the 1920's who followed the Way of the Samurai. His dad had been a high-ranking samurai, and had also been friends with an American businessman. Turns out that the businessman was a mobster. So the PC learns Bushido from his dad, and then gets hired by the mob boss to be his daughter's bodyguard.

The daughter was also a PC. She was also Japanese - her mom had been a courtesan, and the mob boss had decided to raise her and effectively spoil her to death. She ended up as a singer at a local speakeasy...

But I digress...

The samurai guy was named Mitsumoto, but he went by "Bushido Joe" on the streets. I was feeling nice, so I actually made up a Samurai occupation for him. I gave him the Sword skill, and put most of his occupation skills in History, Foreign Language, Martial Arts, and other stuff.

Well, somehow...

He ended up with 99 points in Katana, and 99 points in submachine gun. Before he'd put those points in submachine gun, I'd said that the mob boss would probably give him a Tommy Gun, because I assumed that a katana would get him NOWHERE fast.

Well, turned out he became the teams tank, and he ripped through everything that even twitched in a threatening manner.

I felt rather... moot... when the WWI vet with PTSD had a shell shock fit and ended up blowing Bushido Joe in half with a double-barrel 20 gauge after several turns of gunplay and amazing dodge and luck rolls.

Sometimes I can't help but love and hate my group at the same time...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Well, In my group's current game I'm playing a Kung-fu velociraptor Swordsage, if that counts.

In fact, I'm keeping a journal of it on this board. You can find it in my sig, if you're curious on more info.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

a bard, a goth bard.
    Spoiler
    Show

As for my own concepts:

- A Paladin of Kelemvor, the god of the dead. I actually ran this guy.

- A gestalt Sorcerer/Bard with multiple personality disorder. Basically, I'd roll each day to see if he woke up with the antisocial Sorcerer or hyperpacifist Bard personality.

- An awakened skeleton Rogue.

23. - Top - End - #23

We made a Necron at one point. Also, The entire crew of the SS Powersquid our Spelljammer powered by a warlock Thri-kreen. A drug addicted Peter-Pan Bard who could Fly while High. A pixie using magical Powered Armor and a mermaid that in her true form was morbidly obese. We we're a very strange crew.
    Last edited by black dragoon; 2008-09-22 at 10:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    - A Paladin of Kelemvor, the god of the dead. I actually ran this guy.
    That's not exactly crazy. I've played paladins of Kelemvor, Jergal, and Wee Jas. Of course, I do kind of have a thing for death-obsessed paladins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

The Dirgesinger prestige class is your goth bard. I'm liking the nuclear fission Paladin. Although...this gives me an idea. Someone design an Ur-Paladin PrC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #26

Can't be that hard.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

• An awakened abacus that talks with math, you need to make Int checks to figure out what he’s saying.
    • A warforged urban druid… that’s right, a transformer
    • I recall someone on these boards had a pixie paladin that road a sparrow into battle.
    • I also recall someone else with an awakened psionic goldfish that lived in a bowl carried by another character’s warforged. I think they were in the same game as the pixie.
    • Orc exotic dancer… a very male orc exotic dancer.
    • Orc barmaid… she doubled as the tavern’s bouncer. (actually played this one)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, right...

Somebody played as Hitler in a training session I ran for my best friend so he could see what 4e DnD was like.

What was hilarious was that even though Hitler had NO offensive capabilities, he had INSANE charisma and related skills. I think he had +23 to Bluff and Intimidate.

I lol'd when he convinced a bunch of Kobolds to slit their own throats...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

29. - Top - End - #29

A hyper-intelligent wizard so determined to understand the underlying nature of the world that he's seriously dented the fourth wall. Most NPC wizards started calling him crazy after he delivered a speech on the quantum nature of luck and the platonic solids, complete with a battleaxe demonstration.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

1. A neurotic, paranoid, and schizophrenic paladin. Of course, I made him before I got Unearthed Arcana, so I got to write up how schizophrenia actually works.
    2. A half-elf who despises humans, yet is absolutely fine with his own half-human tendencies.
    Last edited by lordofthe_wog; 2008-09-26 at 05:14 PM.
    Avatar (and one of the coolest things in the world) Made by Ava. Or was it....