New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Assistance building a character

So I'll be playing a campaign in a month or so, using this class:Cavalier Base Class

I've already got DM approval, and rolled these stats:

We're starting at level four, and I've already been informed it'll be a mix of underground and overworld fighting, so I don't want to focus too much on one or the other. I'm leaning towards human, but I'm open to suggestions.

My equipment list, so far anyway:

Full Plate
    Light Steel Shield
    Heavy Warhorse
    Scimitar
    Lance
    Military Saddle
    Saddlebags
    Explorer's Outfit
    1954gp

Which leaves me some cash for magic items.

And as far as I know there are no banned books.

Unrelated question: The SRD states that weapons not primarily of metal cannot be Adamantine or other materials, but it lists ammunition. Are adamantine sling bullets possible?
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Assistance building a character

Since there is actually a price listing for sling bullets made of adamantium, I would say yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why would you want adamantine sling bullets? There aren't that many...

I'd say yes. Sling bullets can be made of metal. I think arrows are another story by the rules...though, really, they use metal in real life for arrows so...
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

"mix of underground and overworld fighting"

This screams Gnome and tunnel fighting that way you can use your mount underground.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd consider a Halfling of any variety simply to fit in Dungeons. Unfortunately, Horses are Large and thus simply don't fit in most underground locales, so unless your DM specifically convinces you there will be a chance to stay mounted underground, I'd consider a smaller race - not fitting around sucks (although I recall there are feats around this - allowing you and your mount to squeeze without penalties).

Anyways, you'll obviously want the Mounted Combat-feats not included in Cavalier - Spirited Charge and perhaps Trample. Also, I found the feat, it's called "Tunnel Riding" from Races of Stone and requires Tunnel Fighting. It would be fairly awesome for you - most of your class abilities are related to using a mount anyways so being denied that makes you a spiffed up Warrior.

I'd pick up Power Attack too - when off the horse, you'll probably want to dual wield a Morningstar (á la the actual Knights of the past), Greatsword or similar. Shield is very handy on a horseback as you can use Lance one-handed, but off the horse, two-handed Power Attacking is the way to go.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    So I'll be playing a campaign in a month or so, using this class:Cavalier Base Class

I've already got DM approval, and rolled these stats:

We're starting at level four, and I've already been informed it'll be a mix of underground and overworld fighting, so I don't want to focus too much on one or the other. I'm leaning towards human, but I'm open to suggestions.

My equipment list, so far anyway:

Full Plate
    Light Steel Shield
    Heavy Warhorse
    Scimitar
    Lance
    Military Saddle
    Saddlebags
    Explorer's Outfit
    1954gp

Which leaves me some cash for magic items.

And as far as I know there are no banned books.

Unrelated question: The SRD states that weapons not primarily of metal cannot be Adamantine or other materials, but it lists ammunition. Are adamantine sling bullets possible?
    If you are getting slings, wouldn't a halfing work best?

You can get as Riding Dog (meduim) if you are small.
    Then, you can fit in almost any dungeon while riding.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The sling question is because those rare occasions I've used one, stones were the ammo of choice.

Arrows get in under the fact that only the head is doing damage, though this shouldn't then preclude Scythes. *shrug* I was just curious.

---

I think I'll go human and fight on foot. The extra feat is worth it. So I'll pickup Ride-by and Spirited Charge, which leaves me with two to go. Power Attack is always a worthwhile choice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The sling question is because those rare occasions I've used one, stones were the ammo of choice.

Arrows get in under the fact that only the head is doing damage, though this shouldn't then preclude Scythes. *shrug* I was just curious.

---

I think I'll go human and fight on foot. The extra feat is worth it. So I'll pickup Ride-by and Spirited Charge, which leaves me with two to go. Power Attack is always a worthwhile choice.
    Someone in one of our games is playing a short human. She claims to have fey blood, but she might just have dwarfism of some sort. Basically wanted a small size human, and we figured it isn't exactly overpowered.

9. - Top - End - #9

If you went with Halfling you could always take some Halfling Outrider levels. I don't have the book in front of me so I forget how good it is.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

While it's setting specific, Strongheart Halfling could get you small size and bonus feat. The only real option though.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

My real problem with Halflings is the loss of strength for my Lance. That said I could see an Outrider mounted on a spider with a bow shooting from the walls.

+1 to hit, and +1 to AC? (WoTC would give out +3 LA ) Nah, not too overpowered.

12. - Top - End - #12

My real problem with Halflings is the loss of strength for my Lance. That said I could see an Outrider mounted on a spider with a bow shooting from the walls.

+1 to hit, and +1 to AC? (WoTC would give out +3 LA ) Nah, not too overpowered.
    I thought mounted combat worked by charging the foe every turn (thanks to the feat who lets you continue your movement) and then you'd use the horse Str in place of yours.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing it as Heavy Cavalry. Which means I charge at the biggest guy with my triple damage lance, and then use my sword to beat a path back out. Or overrun for another charge attempt. If I were going light cavalry, I'd be using Mounted Archery and Ride-by to shoot at them as I charged past.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

From human to SH halfling you lose:
    1-2 dmg (depending on your previous strength)
    Skill points (3+CL)

You gain:
    +1 AC
    +4 hide
    Small Size (fit in dungeons while mounted)
    Qualification for Halfling Outrider

I think that is worth it.

Also wild plains outrunner is a good class for mounted archery I believe.

I'm playing it as Heavy Cavalry. Which means I charge at the biggest guy with my triple damage lance, and then use my sword to beat a path back out. Or overrun for another charge attempt. If I were going light cavalry, I'd be using Mounted Archery and Ride-by to shoot at them as I charged past.
    Why not spirited Charge+Rideby for 4x damage, and repeat next round?
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2008-09-25 at 06:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

You might also want to consider the Wardog from Heroes of Battle as a mount, if you take the path of the halfling.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    You might also want to consider the Wardog from Heroes of Battle as a mount, if you take the path of the halfling.
    A Fleshraker, any number of Dragons, quite a few Devils, and quite a few others can be broken to the saddle through a combination of skill checks and abuse of Planar Binding. Why ride a vicious dog when you can ride a fire-breathing guard beast ripped out of the bowls of hell and magically bound to bear you into combat and rip the throats out of the Devils that were it's former allies and masters? Teach them to call you short.

In other news, I think this board needs a devil-horns smirking smiley.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    A Fleshraker, any number of Dragons, quite a few Devils, and quite a few others can be broken to the saddle through a combination of skill checks and abuse of Planar Binding. Why ride a vicious dog when you can ride a fire-breathing guard beast ripped out of the bowls of hell and magically bound to bear you into combat and rip the throats out of the Devils that were it's former allies and masters? Teach them to call you short.

In other news, I think this board needs a devil-horns smirking smiley.
    Fleshraker is too eberron for my tastes, I hate dragons and "fire-breathing guard beast" sounds too close. Plus probably >medium. Also what happens when its magical binding wears out in the night? Coup de'grace ftl.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Fleshraker is too eberron for my tastes, I hate dragons and "fire-breathing guard beast" sounds too close. Plus probably >medium. Also what happens when its magical binding wears out in the night? Coup de'grace ftl.
    the fleshraker is a dinosaur from mm3 and doesn't have any firebreathing or require any bounding (just taming), I think the "fire-breathing guard beast" was referring to the bound demon

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Hell Hound is core and medium, and a properly worded Planar Binding should last for as long as you need it to.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I see your point. I'm avoiding Archery on purpose though. Outrider would also require I take a level in tracking.

Because the class I'm using doesn't get that ability until 13. I think I'll go with the Strongheart Halfling, and if it doesn't work out, I'll die and get reincarnated until I get Human.

I'll probably pick up a flying mount later on. I think the DM would kill me if I asked for a Dragon, so I'll see about a Wyvern.

So, going Strongheart and laying out the stats like so:

STR 16 (18)
    DEX 15 (13)
    CON 12
    INT 12
    WIS 12
    CHA 14

I can snag Spirited Charge, Ride-By, Power Attack, which leaves me one feat free.

I know I'll be putting Max Ranks in Handle Animal and Ride, and reserve the rest until I see what the DM has planned for the world.

Is it better to use the Lance one-handed with a shield? Or Two handed for the Strength Bonus?

I qualify for Improved Smiting or Extra Smiting, but I don't know if those are any use. Thoughts on my last feat?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

While I'm often alone in this belief, I would call a "I'm fresh of out feat ideas" situation on a big multiplier setup a weapon focus time. +1 with a lance. Whoop-de-crap. But take away that one with power attack, apply lance/spirited charge whatever other crap (someone mentioned x4 damage I think) and that +1 is +8 damage. -1 attack = +2 damage x4 is 8. Uber optimal? Probably not, but an extra +1 isn't going to hurt either. If absolutely nothing else seems remotely usable at all...ever... maybe possibly consider it.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Good Point. Plus I can pick up Power Critical later on for confirming my newly keen lance.

Do I need small size weapons for this character? I don't usually play with Halflings.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2008-09-26 at 10:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but dropping from a d8 to a d6 isn't a huge issue.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.