New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #597 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Yes, but since Elan is going to tell Hinjo, V is going to Plan B.

Anyway, V is annoyed at having to deal with finding Haley and rezzing Roy in the first place, since that was getting in the way of the entire mission to kill Xykon in the first place. (Forget the lich already?)
    No, V is obsessed with finding Haley. Saving the world is second, and s/he's not in the mood for any third place goals.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Oh dear...

This is not cuddle toy territory...

Now I will hold out hope for temporary insanity here. Because there is little sense to this collection of behaviors.

But I get the impression this the author trying to beat a point in with a stick.
    For V to be "cured" "in the nick of time" would be Bad Writing.

Back to the Kobold Oracle, shall I remind you no one is assured of having a happy ending save Elan. In fact, Haley may survive because she would be part of any "happy ending" for Elan.

Unless Rich is twisted and the "happy ending" for Elan is a dreadful ending, but told beautifully, since Elan loves good writing.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. New prediction: Comic #600 will be V finally snapping, and our heroes have to deal with him.
    Credit to Mauve Shirt for the avatar
    Spoiler
    Show
    THAT HAS NO NECK!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    WMG theory: The Exalted Games of Divinity are actually a game of FATAL, and all the Incarnae had the bad luck of rolling Clerks as their class.

4. - Top - End - #94

Interesting turn of events.

I wonder how V is getting spells replenished without going into a trance.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

I really can't see anything new in Vaarsuvius acting. Intimidation against mates? Done. Losing control? Done and done again. Lose against Elan's stupidity and/or naivety? Done, and bought a shirt. Still, nice page.

Elan trying to act mature: fail.
    Vaarsuvius trying to act badass: fail.
    Belkar wins, and not really present too.

(by the way, what really scares me is Elan arguing with his own illusion...)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

This really isn't that out of line with past V comments.

See for example the final panel in:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Unless Rich is twisted and the "happy ending" for Elan is a dreadful ending, but told beautifully, since Elan loves good writing.
    "...and as Elan looked upon the final Gate, warped with evil magics, he reached out his hand, stretching past the blasted corpses of his friends and allies whose souls had been devoured by the Snarl. With the last of his strength, he activated the Rune of Sealing that would pull himself and all of Redcloak's forces into the prison dimension of the Snarl, locking themselves inside forever. As the blinding light of the magics flowed past and through his battered body, Elan smiled and said the last three words he would ever utter in this plane of existence:

Best. Death. Ever."
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #98

PaladinGuy

While the obvious inclination is to think that Elan is genuinely clueless here, there's one point against it--Elan is the most genre-savvy character around: he *has* to know what "red eyes" means. Combine that with the fact that we know he has a decent Bluff rank (from the attempt to scam a ride on the airship in Cliffport before Thog gave the game away), and he might just have been faking his cluelessness.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Sorry v-haters, but intimidation != evil.

Shifting topics, wasn't the reason behind the disintegrate to *avoid* a whole bunch of pointless strips? Just sayin'.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juliwen View Post
    And don't judge V. so quickly. I still believe he/she's good, just tired/hurt/cursed - he/she might have been hit with some spell or some of his efforts to find Haley had unexpected side effects - he/she should be healed, not damned!
    When was V ever Good? Always pegged me as True Neutral.

Edit @ EtherealStrife: Threatening to kill your teammates sounds pretty evil, though.

11. - Top - End - #101

Response to some comments in this thread:

"Self" buddy is not a typo, since they are talking about Belkar, the illusion reacts to it and pats himself on the back for not being an outright obstruction to the main quest.

V's behavior is pretty much what's been foreshadowed ever since the wedding. He's going insane with his quest not to find Haley, but to satiate his ego by proving that his power is supreme. Still upsetting to see him finally cross the line though from slightly aloof magical ally with a sense of camaraderie to obsessive, petulant **** with the power to blow up the world.

Prediction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elan is faking stupidity in an attempt to defuse the situation.
    Last edited by busterswd; 2008-09-29 at 02:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

V's acting like a guild leader (or interim one) for an MMO guild that's going through a severe rough patch. Though nominally dedicated to keeping the group together while key members are away, V's showing remarkably little in the way of remembering that it's important to keep the current members around, too. Frustrated and exhausted, V's patience is incredibly short. After a rest, V may apologize for what happened here and earlier, but for now is a danger to everyone around. Both Elan and especially Durkon are showing this stress, too, but not at the cost of doing the right thing. V's so convinced that V and V alone can save the day, that nobody else's problems matter, assuming V can be convinced that other people even have real problems, too.

I've been there, and I was just as ugly. No excuses for me, either. V's behavior is at best misguided neutral here, concerned (vaguely) only with personal friends, and far less so with the consequences for personal behavior.

It's also worth remembering that one of the major themes we've seen so far is the high price of self-delusion and obsession. It enslaved Redcloak and led directly to the slaughter of his people, it broke up the Orders' predecessors, it bound Eugene Greenhilt to the mortal plane, it keeps Nale from greatness, and it damned Miko. The only people so far to escape have done so because they eventually realized the cost was too great: Roy twice (with the bandits and with Miko), and Haley with Elan.

We've known V's going down the wrong path since meeting the Oracle. Even if V's not evil, the behavior's destructive and short-sighted.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

That seriously scared me... wow.

I like to think that Elan was being dense on purpose in this instance.

+= <3
    Hinjo Fanclub

Dwight Schrute: I have been Michael's number two guy for about five years, and we make a great team. We're like one of those classic famous teams. He's like Mozart and I'm like Mozart's friend. No, I'm like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart, you're gonna get a bullet in your head, courtesy of Butch Cassidy.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground

More than ever it piques my interest to know what happened to V after s/he casts the invisiblity during the battle at breach and the time he is next seen hiding among the crowd at ship.

Seems to have some... extreme physical and psychological differences for a reason... or unother... (typo intended)
    "one who has no light to give, loves the darkness"
    Legends of Istanbul 1 - Tulip Warriors

Spoiler
    Show
    "in arenam logicae, pugno inarmatus"
    Red Mage - nuklearpower

15. - Top - End - #105

This was just awesome. That's all.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by marquiz View Post
    More than ever it piques my interest to know what happened to V after s/he casts the invisiblity during the battle at breach and the time he is next seen hiding among the crowd at ship.

Seems to have some... extreme physical and psychological differences for a reason... or unother... (typo intended)
    That's a good point -- survivor's guilt may be a heavy contributor here, particularly given the direct and pointed proof that V's power was not great enough to save as many lives as would be hoped. V may have once been generally inclined to be good (V did feel guilt about being cruel to Elan, and seems opposed to Belkar for moral reasons), but such an incident would prove trying.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

I read this completely differently. I read this as a message from the Giant saying, "All those making predictions that V's cracking up and about to say those four famous words - well it isn't happening yet."

I seem to be in a minority here, so I'm probably completely wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well V is going over the edge (more and more) and Elan is getting more and more reasonable (and i dare to say noble). The absence of Roy is actually good for Elan. But the absence of Harly is destructive for V.

Well i am happy for some heavy character development in recent times.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Super_slash2 View Post
    Ignorance is his class power source.

It's truer every strip.

Even V can't compete with that.
    V is more vulnerable to said power source than anyone else in the comic. Sorta like how the gods are more vulnerable to the snarl.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I'm waiting to hear folks justify V as "good"
    Well, people do make the case that Belkar isn't chaotic Evil from time to time. We probably don't have to wait long!

Elan promising to tell Hinjo what happened will have consequences. With so many possible plot twists I await the big 600 with bated breath.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

V is definitely becoming Sith Lord material. Now he not only has veiny cracked skin, but glowing eyes of doom to go with it. He's even going so far as to threaten his own teammate.

I don't think Elan is practicing Obfuscating Stupidity; nor do I think he's being an idiot. I just think Elan's still idealistic enough that he just cannot comprehend V seriously threatening to kill him. With that possibility cut off from Elan's mind, he's just trying to come up with some other interpretation in the last few panels.

Really hoping the Order gets back together soon, or they might have to deal with another potential Big Bad before long.

22. - Top - End - #112

I don't think Elan was bluffing. Nor is it entirely a manner of stupidity. I think his faith in the virtue of his companions is just so unshakable that he can't fathom that V would actually threaten to kill him.

Also, I would say that Roy is likely the most intimidating of the OOTS. Elan may have a far higher charisma, but Roy's is pretty decent, and Elan doesn't have Intimidate as a class skill.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a note, but quid pro quo, which means "something for something" and refers to exchanges of goods and services (especially informal or illicit ones), has nothing to do with this. I think the Latin phrase you were looking for is quod erat demonstrandum (QED), which means "that which was to be proven" and indicates the completion of a logical proof.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2008-09-29 at 02:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Speculation for #600:

Spoiler
    Show

V will turn into a lich, eaither directly before or directly after he/she kills (either unintentionally or intentionally) some important character. He/she will then leave the party (the others will be pretty angry at him/her at the time) to pursure an independent career.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Just a note, but quid pro quo, which means "something for something" and refers to exchanges of goods and services (especially informal or illicit ones), has nothing to do with this. I think the Latin phrase you were looking for is quod erat demonstrandum (QED), which means "that which was to be proven" and indicates the completion of a logical proof.
    Follow the link, good sir, for he masterfully paraphrased a most appropriate quote, but left in the punchline

EDIT: Interestingly, while "quid pro quo" is the improper turn of (latin) phrase for the ending of a proof, when one is talking about the inevitability of a counterattack, using the phrase "quid pro quo" is strangely appropriate
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-09-29 at 02:44 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

A cookie for the Giant

Nice one, especially the last panel^^
    At least somebody told V his oppinion. But V.... well is just too smart to understand Elan and his simple mind somehow.
    I am scared that V becomes the new Miko

And.. gogo Elan vs V Threads

27. - Top - End - #117

Well -- V is doing all this for Haley. Elan has already proven to be unfaithful in spirit in the past with the leader of the bandits -- at least in V's mind. Hence V is reading more into things than V should. If anything V has always been very protective of Haley.

Maybe V has already given something very important up in this search and that grated on V.

Also the first real threat was from Elan here.

28. - Top - End - #118

Wow, V is really looking more and more LG with each strip!

Killing tied up people who he doesn't even know who they are, asking if they get exp for the death of other important NPCs, and threatening his own allies of obliteration.

Yep, clearly LG. A paragon of virtue and honor.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    V is definitely becoming Sith Lord material. Now he not only has veiny cracked skin, but glowing eyes of doom to go with it. He's even going so far as to threaten his own teammate.
    As someone else pointed out above, this isn't the first time V has threatened his teammates, as per strip #186, and giving the black dragon permission to eat them if they did not obey V's wishes in strip #185 wasn't exactly nice either.

Then again, there was something a lot more direct and personal and out of proportion about this time around. Whether that represents a permanent personality shift or simply a continuation of the 'hasn't tranced in a while' situation remains to be seen.

30. - Top - End - #120

Strong in V the Dark Side is, hmm...
    Fi onio duo rena!