New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default How Would You Stat Grand Admiral Thrawn in 4E?

Well...Look at the title.

I want to know how you would stat that most devious of art connisieurs, Thrawn, were he to be picked out of Star Wars and unceremoniously dropped in a D&D setting.

Why? No reason. No reason at all.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: How Would You Stat Grand Admiral Thrawn in 4E?

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    Well...Look at the title.

I want to know how you would stat that most devious of art connisieurs, Thrawn, were he to be picked out of Star Wars and unceremoniously dropped in a D&D setting.

Why? No reason. No reason at all.
    A high intelligence character of any class you choose. I'd honestly pick something that can provide bonuses based on line of sight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hellishly intelligent Tactical Warlord.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Admiral Thrawn is hard to represent in 4E terms, as he really doesn't fit any of the Player's Handbook classes.

3E, though? Easy.

He's an Factotum or Expert X with: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 30, Wis 30, Cha 26.

EDIT: Or Tactical Warlord makes sense, for 4E.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2008-10-13 at 04:12 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: 4E is not suitable for statting complex characters or importing characters from other places for 2 reasons; it so far has little avialable material and as an edition it focuses too much on balance that loses flexibility and complexity.

Admiral Thrawn might have been a Warlord/Rogue IF the warlord abilities worked on more than a couple of people or from more than a few feet away-which very few of them do.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

As a PC or an NPC? Because as a PC, it would indeed be pretty difficult (at best) to find a fit for him. However, as the BBEG, you aren't constrained by character classes the way you are in 3e, so you can make a more perfect fit than 3e could imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Hmm...

I agree with the Tactical Warlord being the go-to class. Skill focus in... knowledge (history) I'd think.

But, that's if you want him as a standard PC/NPC... looking for something else Leliel? Btw, that last 'stat out a guy from fiction' thread get you what you desired? (I ask only for my own ego's sake )

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belial_the_Leveler View Post
    Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: 4E is not suitable for statting complex characters or importing characters from other places for 2 reasons; it so far has little avialable material and as an edition it focuses too much on balance that loses flexibility and complexity.

Admiral Thrawn might have been a Warlord/Rogue IF the warlord abilities worked on more than a couple of people or from more than a few feet away-which very few of them do.
    Better Answer: All editions of D&D I've seen have been piss-poor at mechanically representing war at the strategic and grand strategic level, possibly because it's not a wargame and most of those focus at the tactical/strategy level anyway.

Because Thrawn would have to be high level to represent the amount of power in his tactics, but on the other hand, I don't think he's going to survive a round in lava like most mid to high characters in 3.x.

So I think the real answer is just to try to stat up a character that most closely evokes the feel of Thrawn rather than trying to go for his exact capabilities, and a Warlord/Wizard with Rituals makes sense to me here, especially due to his almost supernatural (cough plotsense/willoftheauthor cough) intuition.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-10-13 at 04:21 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Better Answer: All editions of D&D I've seen have been piss-poor at mechanically representing war at the strategic and grand strategic level, possibly because it's not a wargame and most of those focus at the tactical/strategy level anyway.

Because Thrawn would have to be high level to represent the amount of power in his tactics, but on the other hand, I don't think he's going to survive a round in lava like most mid to high characters in 3.x.

If you want to state a complex character well in a d20 system, use Mutants & Masterminds.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Admiral Thrawn is hard to represent in 4E terms, as he really doesn't fit any of the Player's Handbook classes.
    I'd honestly build the guy as a customer creature then with appropriate abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    If you want to state a complex character well in a d20 system, use Mutants & Masterminds.
    True dat. He'd be easy to use, a reasonable intelligence score, knowledge skills, and you can't forget the Master Plan feat. Yay!

In fact I think he might lookw something like this: Linky
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2008-10-13 at 04:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, as I said, I have no reason for throwing this out.

This is a "just for fun" exercise in mental jockeying.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Well, as others have said, it'd be rough if you try to stick exactly to what he is. As a BBEG, I'd turn him into an Elite Solider (Leader) or Controller (Leader) give him powers as appropriate, and make sure he's a hard encounter so I can put as many minions/standards in with him as possible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

He can't be a TacLord, because of the short range on commander's strike (and indeed, any other power in 4E).

This really needs a different system. I recommend TORG, it's quite good at uber-scaling things.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14

Make him a Controller-role monster with the Tactical Warlord template. Very high Intelligence and Wisdom, and an ability that replicates the Skill Focus (Insight) feat.

He's a very mediocre warrior in personal combat, so he wouldn't be all that high-level. Perhaps Level 10, since it's the highest he can get before being Paragon Tier?

Then, either:
    • homebrew some Monster Powers (appropriate to his Controller role) that give his allies nasty bonuses or abilities over unlimited distance as long as he has electronic communication with them
    • just roleplay all of his minions as ridiculously clever in tactical situations (requires a lot of skill from the DM)
    • make all encounters with his minions bigger than they would otherwise be -- bigger than the recommended standard encounter for the protagonists' party -- to represent Thrawn's skill in always allocating his troops in a fiendishly clever way
    • some combination of the above

The third bullet point in the above list is a pretty intriguing idea. Perhaps to simulate strategic warfare, there could be a system where the strategic commanders of each faction have a Skill Challenge before each battle, using Insight and perhaps a new Tactics skill and occaisionally Bluff. Depending on the results of the skill challenge, the Encounter would be built differently. For example, if the party is about to encounter some Thrawn minions and doesn't have any orders coming down the chain, so they are responsible for their own actions (Karde's crew of smugglers?), they use their own stats to do this skill challenge, with their Bluff or Tactics checks opposing Thrawn's Insight skill. If they fail abyssmally, for example, they could have to face 2 standard level-appropriate Encounters at the same time -- and even if they win, they only get XP for one standard encounter.

Another issue is that, since skill bonuses are dependent on level, high-level characters would be able to beat Thrawn's Insight bonus all the time. To combat this, I guess his Wisdom would just have to scale at the same rate as the characters' level.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Another issue is that, since skill bonuses are dependent on level, high-level characters would be able to beat Thrawn's Insight bonus all the time. To combat this, I guess his Wisdom would just have to scale at the same rate as the characters' level.
    Or the fact that by and large Thrawn doesn't play at the local combat scale level. He tells his guys what to do, and issues orders to his commanders secure in the knowledge that they know how to implement that order.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Very badly.

What? He is a strategic character and trying to fit him into a tactical game is kind of nonsensical. I'd almost say a high level NPC class with extreme intelligence and some insightful abilities. Fact is he would (And books never show him doing much at a tactical level) probably be a pushover in hand to hand combat but Thrawns real skill is being good enough to make sure it never comes to that.

The man is an artist and a general, not a ground pounder. D&D just does not have the mechanics to support that as a PC.

17. - Top - End - #17

Id make him a tac warlord, but with the additional ability that all his powers have range: Line of sight.

Then give him probably 50 int, 50 wis and 40 cha.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

He's not a PC.

He is a very highly intelligent Controller type monster, that the PCs never really fight. Super BBEG.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing View Post
    He's not a PC.

He is a very highly intelligent Controller type monster, that the PCs never really fight. Super BBEG.
    I'd go further and say that since/if he is never fought in person, he needs no stats at all. (That's one of the things I find liberating in 4E. You will not need stats for something that isn't fought. Most NPCs are just a description, now.)

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    I'd go further and say that since/if he is never fought in person, he needs no stats at all. (That's one of the things I find liberating in 4E. You will not need stats for something that isn't fought. Most NPCs are just a description, now.)
    Agreed, but what if they DO find a way to fight him? Make him similar to that goblin that moves people around a lot. Also, Chiss are rather proficient fighters, from what I gather.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Hellishly intelligent Tactical Warlord.
    Don't forget hellishly charismatic and hellishly wise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

He has to have rogue levels, as he can obviously detect traps.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    He has to have rogue levels, as he can obviously detect traps.
    Not nearly as well as Ackbar.

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

I've read all the Thrawn books, I'm a big fan of Thrawn's tactical abilities. But still I gotta say it's a matter of putting a good player/DM behind him to make use of his abilities (and people) as well as possible. There are no rules for tactics on a grand scale, (heck the command rules in SW pick an edition don't come close to having rules for the stuff thrawn pulls) but from some of the stories Thrawn is moderatley competant at combat of a more personal scale as well so I'd stat him as follows.

Tactical Warlord level 18
    Either some rogue multiclass or some wizard multiclass feats/powers depending if he somehow picks up magic along the way.

Not sure what paragon path to take (away from book) but probably the most marshall like (from3.5) for group leadership powers.

Stat wise give him a 20 starting Int (18 plus racial +2) and have it topped off
    So total I'd say Str 14 Con 12 Int 24 Dex 16 Wis 18 Cha 20 or so after mods for level and race.

Keep his powers focused on helping/leading/inspiring troops as opposed to a@@kicking himself... throw in a few rogue surprises to unbalance/finish off the enemy (or wizard ones if he somehow learns magic).

The most important thing would of course be running him intelligently(not the stats). He'd try to be with a competant group of people, get support from some powerful group to get himself some pull in the local area/kingdom and generally act like a brilliant bastard. He has a sense of honor, so even if the PC's run afoul of him he'd be reasonable and offer them an out (or recruit them) unless there's no way around it (or the PC's start something) in which case he'll be well prepared. Kind of the hope for the best but plan for the worst scenario.

But yeah to get the feel of Thrawn you'd really need a player/DM with a bit of game to pull it off. Not easy but a fun challenge.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

For 3.5, a Monster Entry

Chiss Singularity - there is only one of these. Ever.

Traits
    +20 racial bonus to intelligence
    +100 racial bonus to Sense Motive
    +100 racial bonus to Knowledge (art)
    +100 racial bonus to Profession (Grand Admiral)
    Level Adjustment +19

That ought to do it.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2008-10-14 at 07:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

He's been statted out (Admiral Thrawn, not yet Grand Admiral) in The Force Unleashed campaign setting. Most of his startegic acumen is't built into his statline: Chiss Noble/3/Soldier/4/Officer/1.

He does have talents like Battle Analysis and Born Leader.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, personally I don't think D&D as a system is truly capable of defining me very well.

I'd much prefer you assisting me in stopping such an attempt than having to turn your planet to slag with turbolaser fire. It would be so wasteful.
    Last edited by Thrawn183; 2008-10-14 at 10:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I assume you're leaving out other d20 games, like Star Wars Saga Edition, which could do a decent job with Thrawn thanks to a very flexible character design system with a lot of options for the leader who doesn't play a direct role in combat.
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-10-14 at 10:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    I assume you're leaving out other d20 games, like Star Wars Saga Edition, which could do a decent job with Thrawn thanks to a very flexible character design system with a lot of options for the leader who doesn't play a direct role in combat.
    I was speaking specifically of D&D. I've never gotten to explore SW d20 or SWSE very much.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Have read, but not got, several SWd20 books. Have got Saga Edition books. Its like 4th eds brother: both are descended from d20, in slightly different directions.