New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4th Edition Question

Hey all,

So I had recently posted to a thread where someone responded and told me that only PCs and major NPCs can be brought back to life in 4th edition. I'm scouring both rulebooks and can't find this rule in either...can someone site a source?

<3
    Raven's Worlds

The World of Ramarian (2.0)
    The World of Denzar (2.0)
    Atlantis, The Traveling Island (2.0 3.0 3.5 4.0)
    The World of Trance (3.0)
    The World of Tasuan (3.0 3.5)
    The World of Gaian (3.0 3.5 4.0)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: 4th Edition Question

I don't recall seeing anything like that. However, the rules do give second wind / healing surges to PCs only, and action points to PCs or Elite/Solo monsters only. That may have been the source of the idea. Also, monsters die at 0 hp, instead of -(bloodied).
    In any case, the 4e books do encourage you to change any rule you dislike.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's no such rule, but there was an article before 4ed's release in which WoTC suggested that NPCs shouldn't be raised unless it's dramatically appropriate.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    There's no such rule, but there was an article before 4ed's release in which WoTC suggested that NPCs shouldn't be raised unless it's dramatically appropriate.
    Raise dead ritual as well. Its sort of says as much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine it's something like 3e, most souls find their place in the after life(for good or for ill)and either don't want to, or don't have the willpower to come back.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    To me, the text of Raise Dead seems to indicate the more levels you have, the harder it becomes to raise someone. So non-adventurers would be some of the easiest people to raise. But that brings up an interesting question - what's the cost if you want to raise a monster (especially one intended to be fought by paragon/epic level PCs)?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenknight View Post
    To me, the text of Raise Dead seems to indicate the more levels you have, the harder it becomes to raise someone. So non-adventurers would be some of the easiest people to raise. But that brings up an interesting question - what's the cost if you want to raise a monster (especially one intended to be fought by paragon/epic level PCs)?
    Monsters have levels too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

resurrect is a powerful spell. and its very costly. I doubt someone would use such a spell to bring back a low leveled soldier or a gate keeper that died. It gets to the point that only important NPCs and PCs are worth such a cost... because otherwise It'd be super easy to bring people back.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    resurrect is a powerful spell. and its very costly.
    It's only costly for NPCs. High-level player characters could easily resurrect an entire village without batting an eye over the price.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    No, it doesn't.

It says that sometime the gods, or whoever, can stop someone from being raised, but with the way it is phrased I read it as an exception, not as the rule. Something like "%HERO% pissed off the god XYZ so much that he stop him from being resurrected".

And by logic if the more powerful you are the more expensive it is to be raised, it follow that the less powerful you are the cheaper it is. you should be able to raise a peasant for 50 GP or less *special offer* only today, raise the whole village for 500 gp. :) .
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eorran View Post
    Also, monsters die at 0 hp, instead of -(bloodied).
    Die or get knocked out, at the whim of the player whose character scores the final hit. (Of course, I think we can assume that creatures that have a death-related effect are intended to die.)

NPCs shouldn't be raised unless it's dramatically appropriate.
    Nothing should happen, in any RPG, unless it's dramatically appropriate.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Nagora If you disagree totally then you are saying only dramatically inappropriate things should ever happen in any RPG...
    Which while amusing might get a bit old after a while.

They have tried to put some more control into the hands of the DM over who gets raised and who doesn't. If it ruins your plot that when they find their patrons body they just raise him from the dead and go home for tea then Lo and behold you get to say it doesn't work not a massive big deal, but it allows the DM a bit of extra leeway on plot devices.
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-10-15 at 04:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    They have tried to put some more control into the hands of the DM over who gets raised and who doesn't. If it ruins your plot that when they find their patrons body they just raise him from the dead and go home for tea then Lo and behold you get to say it doesn't work not a massive big deal, but it allows the DM a bit of extra leeway on plot devices.
    I don't think the amount of control has changed significantly. The DM always had the power to say that the subject, PC or NPC, was not willing to return or had no compelling reason to return, being that they were in paradise. (Or that, say, their soul has been snatched up by fiends. That happens a lot if you were evil, I hear, and fiends don't tend to let the dratted things go.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Eck View Post
    As you know, I'm saying that dramatic appropriateness should not enter the equation once play starts - what happens should follow logically from previous events. Otherwise the DM is railroading.
    There will almost always be almost infinite equally valid and logical things that might happen. The most dramatically appropriate (interesting, fun, good for gameplay and the continuation of fun and gameplay) should happen.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

As you know, I'm saying that dramatic appropriateness should not enter the equation once play starts - what happens should follow logically from previous events. Otherwise the DM is railroading.
    Yeah, just giving you some gip, you know you love it... and I think it would be hard to pull off even in a one off.

Well, the issue is that the DM is being arbitrary which leaves the players with no clear idea as to what actions will or will not work on a day-to-day basis. Which is not a good thing, IMO. If there's an in-game reason for raise dead to fail (worshipper of Odin or Wee Jas, for example) then that's fine and the PCs can investigate and discover that for themselves. But just overruling a PC's power because it makes a "better" plot just means your plot stank to begin with.
    Not giving out that power in the first place =/= overruling it.
    As you the DM arbitarily decide the 'in-game reasons' when envisioning your plot, I don't really see what the difference is, you can just tack a bit of plot on if the PC's decide to pursue the whys and wherefores.

When players find short cuts through the plot, let them have them and do a tighter plot next time; never punish them because you screwed up.
    The logical conclusion to this line of reasoning is undesirable to me, if as a DM you have to armourplate your plots so you can use the adventure you just spent time/effort/money on it seems quite restrictive and likely to make folk reticent about DMing.
    Also losing a loved one is a staple of fantasy plot devices, not being able to use that after x level would be a poor show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    I don't think the amount of control has changed significantly. The DM always had the power to say that the subject, PC or NPC, was not willing to return or had no compelling reason to return, being that they were in paradise. (Or that, say, their soul has been snatched up by fiends. That happens a lot if you were evil, I hear, and fiends don't tend to let the dratted things go.)

I never implied it had changed significantly, in fact I said it was "not a massive big deal, but it allows the DM a bit of extra leeway on plot devices."
    So er, I agree
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Nagora If you disagree totally then you are saying only dramatically inappropriate things should ever happen in any RPG...
    Which while amusing might get a bit old after a while.
    Odd, I don't see a post by Nagora in this thread...

But disagreeing with the idea that only dramatically appropriate things should happen in games does not mean that he thinkgs that only dramatically appropriate things should happen in RPGs... it means that both dramatically appropriate and dramatically inappropriate things should happen; This implies that the person believes that the dramatic appropriateness or lack thereof should not have any control over what happens in the game.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2008-10-15 at 09:20 AM.
    Kungaloosh!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

His exact words... and indeed post was

"Disagree totally" I was just lampooning his words not his stance, I can sort of understand your confusion as all his posts have vanished... prob because he's just been making sockpuppet accounts to get round a ban or some such (and not being very subtle about it).
    I am of course just Rawhide's sockpuppet account but don't tell
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-10-15 at 09:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Nothing should happen, in any RPG, unless it's dramatically appropriate.
    Unless, of course, dramatic tension isn't a priority. Sometimes "it makes sense" is much more important. In my games, preety much always, in fact. In the end though, raising the dead doesn't look any different in 4ed than it does in 3ed. If it makes sense for a villain or NPC to come back, nothing in the rules stops them from doing so.
    Also, it looks like few posts disappeared.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-10-15 at 09:50 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless, of course, dramatic tension isn't a priority. Sometimes "it makes sense" is much more important. In my games, preety much always, in fact. In the end though, raising the dead doesn't look any different in 4ed than it does in 3ed. If it makes sense for a villain or NPC to come back, nothing in the rules stops them from doing so.
    Also, it looks like few posts disappeared.
    In which case you'd probably be raising or not-raising the same people anyways. It doesn't matter if raising Joe Q. Redshirt only costs 50 gold when you can replace him for the same amount (or less) AND get that much more use out of the time your casters otherwise would've spent on the ritual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    In which case you'd probably be raising or not-raising the same people anyways. It doesn't matter if raising Joe Q. Redshirt only costs 50 gold when you can replace him for the same amount (or less) AND get that much more use out of the time your casters otherwise would've spent on the ritual.
    Well yeah, sure, redshirts don't get raised because they don't have the means to do this. The "making sense or drama" dillemma appears when some big fish who's able to get a cleric to cast a spell or ritual gets dead and while it'd make sense for him or her to come back, it'd be also non-dramatic. What I agree with is that there's no difference between editions here.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There's plenty of reason: the cleric wants the BBEG's job instead! Heck, if you're working with an evil cleric, do you really think his promise to raise you if you die is worth much?

Also, there was never a rule that you couldn't raise NPCs. I believe you're thinking of the pre-4e splatbooks, which said something to the effect of "the DM should not generally raise NPCs, because raise dead is generally reserved as a PC privilege." It was never restricted to PCs only.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayabalard View Post
    Odd, I don't see a post by Nagora in this thread...
    You also no longer see any posts by Flipping Eck - a mystery!