New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default truth-spells and word paradox's

I was just thinking to myself:

if there are truth spells that make people tell, y'know the truth, and if some one said an oxymoron or something while under its power like "this sentence is false"
    or "this is a lie", what would happen? I mean those kind of statements are both falsehood and the truth, so how would truth spells work if someone said
    some kind of paradox or oxymoron? this has confused

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: truth-spells and word paradox's

A little known effect--known commonly as Russel's Paradox--divides them by zero. I'm an authority on paradoxes, being one myself, and as such you should just take that at face value.

In all seriousness, this is a case where it's open to DM interpretation. I personally would say that since--at one point--such a statement is false (which causes it to immediately be true, but meh) such a statement would just be treated as false.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont know about that but any time i am in a zone of truth and I want to lie I just say it a diffrent way. No I didnt not see the killer run away (I was the killer ><)
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

when that happens, an npc kittengirl (the linguistics-related cousin of the catgirl) stumbles in suffering from a fatal neck wound, and dies on the floor.

even in the deepest, darkest dungeon, with the place heavily guarded, warded, and protected.... a kittengirl will come. And die.
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, this one is up to the DM. By default, though, I would say that the spell wears off because zero was the dividend. If you wanted to be funny, have him make a will save to avoid head explosion, or have them make a bunch of funny noises and pass out. There is no right or wrong way to go about this.
    "Who's carrying the idiot ball this week?"
    -Hank Azaria

Thanks to Ninja Chocobo for Avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd look at the player and say "You realize you just forced the magical and linguistic equivalent of dividing by zero, right?" They're physics majors, they'll back off.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd say that the person can say it, but it comes out at exactly half normal volume.

By default, though, I would say that the spell wears off because zero was the dividend.
    That would make Zone of Truth pretty useless, if all the suspect had to do to get rid of it was to speak one sentence. Although I would allow an epic DC Spellcraft check to construct the magical version of Gödel's string, which would probably result in a Disjunction effect.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8

"As you start to speak, your left eye begins to twitch and you develop a slight nose bleed. Somewhere in the distance, you hear a high-pitched wail, like the voices of a thousand catgirls cried out and were suddenly silenced."
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You might look into some Wittgenstein for a solution to this one. He divided various statements into truth, lies, senseless statements and nonsense statements. "John is married," is a statement that could be true or false. "a equals a" is literally senseless. It's a tautology, not relying on the senses to be true or false; but could be proven true or false. "John is a married bachelor" is nonsense - neither a truth nor a lie, it's a meaningless sentence. As a DM, I would allow it to be said within a Zone of Truth. Zone of Truth prevents lying; it does not prevent nonsense. (I would gladly allow a "Zone of Law" spell to prevent nonsense statements).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

If you are compelled to speak the truth, then you cannot make the statement "This statement is a lie", or variations thereof. It is not the truth, so you cannot make the statement.

If it allows the caster (or subject) to identify falsehoods, then it will not identify that statement as a falsehood.

What I would love to see is a high-level divination spell that lets you know the absolute truth of a given statement. Stating "Count Murderous is dead" would tell you if he was alive or dead... you'd know you'd spoken a falsehood, even if you'd seen the body, fired the final bullet into his brain, and burned the corpse yourself.

It would utterly break the game, but it would be a spell within the power of at least 9th level spells.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    You might look into some Wittgenstein for a solution to this one. He divided various statements into truth, lies, senseless statements and nonsense statements. "John is married," is a statement that could be true or false. "a equals a" is literally senseless. It's a tautology, not relying on the senses to be true or false; but could be proven true or false. "John is a married bachelor" is nonsense - neither a truth nor a lie, it's a meaningless sentence. As a DM, I would allow it to be said within a Zone of Truth. Zone of Truth prevents lying; it does not prevent nonsense. (I would gladly allow a "Zone of Law" spell to prevent nonsense statements).
    Zone of Contracts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zone of Contracts
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Clr 2, Pal 2
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Creatures within the emanation area (or those who enter it) can only speak in statements which are impossible to misinterpret. Each potentially affected creature is allowed a save to avoid the effects when the spell is cast or when the creature first enters the emanation area. Affected creatures are aware of this enchantment. Therefore, they may avoid answering questions to which they would normally respond with evasions, however, they may not be evasive, other than simply remaining silent. Creatures who leave the area are free to speak as they choose.
    Zone of Nonsense:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zone of Nonsense
    Level: Clr 2, Bard 2

Creatures within the emanation area (or those who enter it) can’t speak any anything that is understandable without being either high or a philosophy major. Each potentially affected creature is allowed a save to avoid the effects when the spell is cast or when the creature first enters the emanation area. Affected creatures are aware of this enchantment. Therefore, they may avoid answering questions to which they would not be able to be appropriately obscure, or they may be evasive as long as they are never coherent. Creatures who leave the area are free to speak as they choose.
    Zone of Lies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zone of Lies
    Level: Clr 2, Blkgrd 2

Creatures within the emanation area (or those who enter it) can speak only deliberate and intentional lies. Each potentially affected creature is allowed a save to avoid the effects when the spell is cast or when the creature first enters the emanation area. Affected creatures are aware of this enchantment. Therefore, they may avoid answering questions to which they would not normally respond with a lie, or they may be evasive as long as they remain outside the boundaries of the truth. Creatures who leave the area are free to speak as they choose.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12

Think about it, "This statement is a lie" can never be (definitively) true or (definitively) false, so it depends on whether the spell says "can only speak truths" (excluding these statements) or "cannot tell a lie" (not excluding these statements from what can be said). In the case of Zone of Truth, it's the later, so you can say paradoxes. Similarly we would expect the speaker to be able to speak random gibberish.

I think there may be a way for a character to exploit this by adding ambiguity. They could preface their statements, with, "I'm just a lying liar aren't I?...let me tell you some lies, because apparently that's all I'm good for..." or "Well, for the record I don't think the magic is working right and everything I'm telling isn't right but..." and than say whatever they like. One of two things would happen: a) The first part of their sentence would either become a separate statement which would have no effect on the second part of the sentence ("This is a lie, but I killed the guy" -> "This is a lie. I killed the guy.") or b) the first part of their sentence refers to the second part of the sentence ("This is a lie, but I killed the guy." -> "I didn't kill the guy."). Because the sentence is grammatically ambiguous, one of the meanings of the sentence is always correct (so the player can always mean it that way) but it can always be taken another way. This would fall under Zone of Truth's "they may be evasive as long as they remain within the boundaries of the truth".
    Of course, what the meaning conveyed to the questioner can be ambiguous as well, especially if the questioner is trying to figure out how this all figures out into the spell they had cast. More likely than not, its going to be clear that you are working on technicalities and you are more likely to leave your questioner's confused than to mislead them. You are probably better saying nothing unless you get sick delight out of watching the questioner's pull out hairs.

EDIT:An alternate method would be to slur your words so that you don't make sense (passes the Zone of Truth), but are taken for the nearest phrase that does make sense. For example, the phrase "I didn't kill the guy" could be conveyed by saying
    I didn't kill the gay (true, unless the guy happened to be gay),
    I didn't kilt the guy (true, unless you dressed him in traditional Scottish attire),
    Id didn't kill the guy (true, if you didn't get carnal pleasure from the task),
    or I diditny kill the guy (diditny has no meaning, and therefore your statement is saying anything at all).
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-10-14 at 10:25 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Smullyan to the rescue!

A lie is, according to Smullyan, not a statement which is false, but a statement which one believes to be false. A character that believes that the world is flat can stand in a ZOT and say that the world is flat - even if this happens to be factually false. What matters here is the intent to deceive.

This makes the spell fun to use on the terminally confused, or the insane. If a person has bizarre beliefs, well, those will show up as truth. If the creature lacks the skill in logic to spot the paradox in "this is a lie", and really believes that he is lying, then he can speak the truth that he is lying.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    I'd look at the player and say "You realize you just forced the magical and linguistic equivalent of dividing by zero, right?" They're physics majors, they'll back off.
    You mean to say that the spell just goes, "Can't be done" ?

Well, that certainly sounds horrible.

Seriously, Mark Hall nailed it.

Kurald Galain is also right, in that the spells (generally) don't detect objective falsehoods and can't compel someone to speak objective truth - it's all subjective. It threatens to get a bit more complicated if you consider this, but I suppose that if the person speaking the paradox knows it's a paradox, they also don't believe it to have a real truth value.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post

Sigged.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

See that isn't nessisarily a good quote...
    For example

Spoiler
    Show

See
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    See that isn't nessisarily a good quote...

See
    You're just upset about me and your mom. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you any idea how much I had to pay that portrait artist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean to say that the spell just goes, "Can't be done" ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I had to divide by zero to pass Calc 1... and I got a sensible, correct answer. You just need to take limits.