New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #603 - The Discussion Thread

When I saw the title, I immediately thought it would involve Belkar recognizing Hank the Halfling Accountant as someone from his village/caravan/whatever-community-OotS-halflings-live-in and lazily throw a dagger in his eye.

But it turned out to be much better.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey, Celia really does draw both eyes the same size accidentally! Please don't kill her, Giant. Cut Roy a break for once.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I reckon that Celia's going to end up destroying the staircase with lightning- forcing any thieves guild members without ranged attack to fall 6-10ft to land flat on their faces... I mean, since Pete sold them out, they have no good reason to worry about looking after his house for him, do they?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Personally, I reckon that Celia's going to end up destroying the staircase with lightning-
    But then how do they get out? Celia would be an easy target if they tried to fly. I suppose the cleric can Food and Water them ok, but they are doomed if they stay in the basement.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hy, do you know what I am waiting for? DING!!!

C'mon, they have been fighting for about 300 strips and no levelup. It is really time now!

Ah, how mutch arrow Haley has? No big deal... I suggest they should use Belkar as a weapon. Make him think anything seriously evil and the Mark of Justice will wipe out all thieves with one 'wawe'

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think we've actually seen every time the group has dinged. The last time we did see it, it was Belkar...who, looking back at the post-Dungeon of Dorukan strips, was a little behind the rest of the group in XP, leading to his need for a roleplaying bonus. Ergo, Haley either dinged before him or at the same time, but we didn't actually see it happen.

Then again, OOTS seems to have some strange XP rules, so maybe not. For instance, there was poor Shelby the Dragonslayer in the bonus strips for Book 2; he managed an extremely lucky crit and thus received all the XP for the kill, even though others were present and involved in the battle. The others were displeased.
    "Thus, we are all composed of stardust, or if you're feeling a tad more cynical, solar excrement." -- Dr. James Kakalios

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

I laughed for the first time in a long time at this strip.
    A big thank you to Mysticaloctopus for the avatar.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice strip this one. I like Mr Unamed Cleric Man already.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think this is Haley's equivalent of the Scouring of the Shire. When she left she was low level, but now she's a pretty powerful adventurer. The rank and file of the thieves guild don't know this as they remember her when she was a kid and will underestimate her. Haley herself hasn't quite realised how much more powerful she is either.

As someone else said, Haley won't be threatened till she faces Crystal.

Now the action has been turned up, it's unlikely that any major slowdowns will get in the way of the action, I think. Whether the sending works or not, I see much of the party reuniting fairly soon.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovak View Post
    I don't think we've actually seen every time the group has dinged. The last time we did see it, it was Belkar...who, looking back at the post-Dungeon of Dorukan strips, was a little behind the rest of the group in XP, leading to his need for a roleplaying bonus. Ergo, Haley either dinged before him or at the same time, but we didn't actually see it happen.

Then again, OOTS seems to have some strange XP rules, so maybe not. For instance, there was poor Shelby the Dragonslayer in the bonus strips for Book 2; he managed an extremely lucky crit and thus received all the XP for the kill, even though others were present and involved in the battle. The others were displeased.
    Since Belkar leveled up in Azure City, I would assume Haley has done so at least once in the same period, probably more. However, she has lost at least one level on screen, here. Possibly more off screen by other wrights.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aenghus View Post
    I think this is Haley's equivalent of the Scouring of the Shire. When she left she was low level, but now she's a pretty powerful adventurer. The rank and file of the thieves guild don't know this as they remember her when she was a kid and will underestimate her. Haley herself hasn't quite realised how much more powerful she is either.
    Crystal knows in details Haley's level. She is her nemesis, and levels everytime Haley does. Ding!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovak View Post
    I think the xp was probably shared between him and Red Cloak and Xykon - but since Shelby was so much lower it dinged him.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Interesting comic! I must say I do like Haley's sudden "seek and destroy" attitude we can see near the end!
    Patiently waiting for Belkar to give up the ghost... even if I'm starting to give up something else, namely my hope for such an event!

...told you so!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    When I saw the title, I immediately thought it would involve Belkar recognizing Hank the Halfling Accountant as someone from his village/caravan/whatever-community-OotS-halflings-live-in and lazily throw a dagger in his eye.
    I would be surprised if Hank dies here, considering that he helped Haley out back in OtOoPCs...admittedly, ISTR them saying they were even back then, so it's possible that won't stop it.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    But then how do they get out? Celia would be an easy target if they tried to fly. I suppose the cleric can Food and Water them ok, but they are doomed if they stay in the basement.
    Not necessarily. As things would stand, they have all the terrain on their side, meaning that even the toughest guild thieves are going to have difficulty on the way in. With the staircase destroyed, there's room for people to either drop to the floor and provoke an attack as they stand up again OR snipe from the exit, not both. There's no point in Haley and co trying to leave via the only exit until all of Bozzak's people have bitten the dust, because there's probably an ambush set up the other side of the doorway in case she does exactly that... They'll have to wait until after everyone's gone down before escaping in any case, at which point flying becomes a moot point (apart from Celia refusing to carry Belkar out so that he can't puke all over her).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Can anyone tell me where we're getting "same casting time as spell" from?
    In the 3.5 version DMG, on pg 213, second paragraph under the heading USING ITEMS:

"Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description states otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, whether it's a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise."

This means that it takes ten minutes to cast sending from a scroll, and a quickened action to cast a quickened magic missile from a scroll, not a standard action for both.

Sorry for the delayed response: didn't have my DMG handy until this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    As things would stand, they have all the terrain on their side, meaning that even the toughest guild thieves are going to have difficulty on the way in.
    The Guild can always try to smoke them out. Even if the cleric has enough protection from fire spells to go around, that still offers no defense against asphyxiation. Sure, there are spells to deal with that problem as well, but I've never seen a cleric prepare them that wasn't expecting an encounter with bad air. (A guy on healing duty at the temple has little reason to expect it would be handy "just in case".)

It's not like Pete's going to want to gripe too loudly about property damage to the people that kept him from regenerating his eyes for all those years.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    The Guild can always try to smoke them out. Even if the cleric has enough protection from fire spells to go around, that still offers no defense against asphyxiation. Sure, there are spells to deal with that problem as well, but I've never seen a cleric prepare them that wasn't expecting an encounter with bad air. (A guy on healing duty at the temple has little reason to expect it would be handy "just in case".)

It's not like Pete's going to want to gripe too loudly about property damage to the people that kept him from regenerating his eyes for all those years.
    Can they? Smoke rises, so I don't think they could get smoke into the basement without actually going down there and setting a fire.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

what stops them dropping flaming sticks or shooting down fire arrows?
    Spoiler
    Show

I prepared Explosive Runes this morning
    Sexy Shoeless God of War worshiper
    Proud member of the reformed church of Banjo and the Elan Fan-Club
    Warning: Don't Click this link!!! Don't click it!!

Thanks to Ceika for the fantastic avatar!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Bozzak probably figured he could surprise Haley and have everyone file down the stairs and set up in the basement before storming the secret rooom. Of course, he sends down the expendable people first just in case, but he probably wasn't planning on fighting down the stairs.
    Bozzak(aside) : Ok, Hank, who's next?
    Hank: um...Toby . Seems the profits from dog-fighting have dropped the last quarter..
    Bozzak (aloud) :Toby! You get the honor of first kill today!
    Toby: Gee, thanks, Boss! I won't let you down!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Can they? Smoke rises, so I don't think they could get smoke into the basement without actually going down there and setting a fire.
    Smoke also follows the path of least resistance. Seal the exit, and the smoke has nowhere to go. Sure, the fire will eventually consume all available air, but that also kills the defenders.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Progress !!

Thank you Giant, for that small step forward.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I have a feeling V's gonna come in the nick of time to save the day

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solmi View Post
    I laughed for the first time in a long time at this strip.
    Ha, same here!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

is anyone else glad we've got back to hayley? it was starting to drag a bit. Like no-name Loki cleric do you think he joins band now V has flown off?
    Avatar by me...yup that's how good my drawing is. As in not very good.

Crack-Pairings, Not Dead Just Moved. Someone Hasn't Been Looking In The Right Places.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleniel View Post
    Taekwondodo - your nick and your avatar are terrific. I want to award you something... how about enough melons to see you through the next ice age?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Smoke also follows the path of least resistance. Seal the exit, and the smoke has nowhere to go. Sure, the fire will eventually consume all available air, but that also kills the defenders.
    By the time the smoke start filling the bottom part of the house, he already polluted the air enough to choke the fire.
    But anyway, do you really want to try to smoke a sylph? Because there is some relative chance that she has some air spell of sort. Likely.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    By the time the smoke start filling the bottom part of the house, he already polluted the air enough to choke the fire.
    Mundane fire, possibly. Either way, the air has been polluted enough to be trouble, especially if you then seal the entrance entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    But anyway, do you really want to try to smoke a sylph? Because there is some relative chance that she has some air spell of sort. Likely.
    Considering how few core sorcerer spells allow targets to breath polluted air (limited wish and wish), it's not likely at all.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description states otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, whether it's a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise."

This means that it takes ten minutes to cast sending from a scroll, and a quickened action to cast a quickened magic missile from a scroll, not a standard action for both.
    And the description for spell completion items does specifically state otherwise: "Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does." (From the SRD as previously quoted; don't have my books on hand to look up page references.)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nleseul View Post
    And the description for spell completion items does specifically state otherwise...
    Doesn't matter. The passage I quoted states that it has to be the item that specifically states otherwise -- not the category of the item.
    Last edited by Shatteredtower; 2008-10-24 at 10:11 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, looking more closely at the admittedly contradictory rules here, you're probably right. Never mind.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

i wonder just how many crimes the ******* guild commited...

anyway, great job rich
    behold the king...the king of kings...it's time to play the game...TIME TO PLAY THE GAME

Thanks to Nevitan for the pb&j sandwich crustless awesome avatar