New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default An Overview of Tome of Battle

I've heard a fair number of opinions about this book, some good, some bad. It seems to be a love or hate thing. For people curious about Tome of Battle, or the popular opinions about it, I give you this thread, which highlights some of the major points brought up about it, and adds in a few of my thoughts on the matter.

Spoiler
    Show

Comments are appreciated.

P.S. - this is the next in the series of my DnD emote comics. The other two comics can be found here:
    Wizard and Fighter class fight.
    The purpose of a fighter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: An Overview of Tome of Battle

hee hee hee

I like the book, but my grudge against Anime has more to do with way they usually animate mouths than anything else.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Did you draw that? If so, its pretty good. Kind of hillarious, if taken as satire too. I really hope you aren't being serious though, especially about the whole anime thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wahahahahaahah! I had a huge grin on my face that grew with each panel I looked over. So awesome! Did you draw it yourself too?
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I really hope you aren't being serious though, especially about the whole anime thing...
    I can see where people are coming from, but it definitely doesn't have to be that way. I do like my satire, so no, I'm not serious about everything.

And yes, I do draw these. They take maybe half an hour with inkscape.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This was frankly amazing! You are to be congratulated! Also, your drawing style rocks! Head and hands for all expressions indeed!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sandra v. Abrajin was the best part, for me.

Brava, Vael. Brava.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Awesome. Good work.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd give you an internet for that, but a warblade beat me up and took all of mine.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I approve, and refuse to be drawn into another anime argument on this subforum.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, being a reject from Exalted is still cooler than 75% of non-Exalted stuff. </fanboi>

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I love people using disintegrate for such comparisons. For one, it's a stylisticly wonderful spell. For another reason, it kinda sucks as far as offensive wizard spells go. (Check out the same level transmutation, Flesh to Stone, which is far better. Sure, Disintegrate also does some insignificant damage if they succeed on the save, but it also requires a ranged touch attack, while Flesh to Stone, which operates on the same DC and saving throw, does not. Admittedly, disintegrate has many additional uses that Flesh to Stone does not, but as a purely offensive spell, I don't like it much.) So a wizard using suboptimal attack choices still pwned her. :)

Of course, being a reject from Exalted is still cooler than 75% of non-Exalted stuff. </fanboi>
    Exalted is a lot of fun. It is, however, unquestionably "Anime-styled." That it rises above that and manages to be good anyway is truly amazing. ;)
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-10-23 at 03:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I can see where people are coming from, but it definitely doesn't have to be that way. I do like my satire, so no, I'm not serious about everything.

And yes, I do draw these. They take maybe half an hour with inkscape.
    Don't you mean serious about anything?

But yes, very good comic.
    I like the Fighter Vs. Wiz but Fighter by itself while had it moments is less funny (though props for the G.I. Joe quote).

14. - Top - End - #14

Sandra needs moar optimization. Killed by a disinitrigate? Shame on her for making con her dump stat.

The core defender needs moar optimization. Killed by a warblade? Shame on him for also using con as his dump stat.

The wizard needs moar optimization. Not magically dominating Sandra? Shame on him for wasting a perfectly good slave.

The drawing style doesn't need moar optimization.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Exalted is a lot of fun. It is, however, unquestionably "Anime-styled."
    You say that as if it was a bad thing.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I love people using disintegrate for such comparisons. For one, it's a stylisticly wonderful spell. For another reason, it kinda sucks as far as offensive wizard spells go. (Check out the same level transmutation, Flesh to Stone, which is far better. Sure, Disintegrate also does some insignificant damage if they succeed on the save, but it also requires a ranged touch attack, while Flesh to Stone, which operates on the same DC and saving throw, does not. Admittedly, disintegrate has many additional uses that Flesh to Stone does not, but as a purely offensive spell, I don't like it much.) So a wizard using suboptimal attack choices still pwned her. :)
    A gal I used to play D&D with when I lived in Boston LOVED to cast disintegrate. Except that she seldom used it offensively (except vs undead). No, she lovingly refered to it as her "Greater Open" spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

A gal I used to play D&D with when I lived in Boston LOVED to cast disintegrate. Except that she seldom used it offensively (except vs undead). No, she lovingly refered to it as her "Greater Open" spell.
    If the plan requires access to a Masterwork Dustpan, it probably needs to be rethought.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

18. - Top - End - #18

My cleric likes to use Cometfall in a similar fashion. Really, droping giant meteors on things FTW!

19. - Top - End - #19

The only thing that bothers me when someone talks about something being "anime" is that they always conveniently forget all about wuxia. C'mon guys, give credit where credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    Listen to Lemur. He's a wise guy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Whatever you may think of the ToB's anime feel (otaku that I am, I love it), it's pretty hard to deny the affinity between the two when the authors themselves list it as one of their major influences on page 6.

Also, all three of these comics are quite amusing. I especially like that the Fighter in the third comic has the Buster Sword.
    Last edited by NephandiMan; 2008-10-23 at 04:24 PM.
    The Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards: Being Batman

Solo’s Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Stratagems

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    (The rum cake is too delicious for any mundane to have baked. Take 50 san as you realize Martha Stewart is not of this world.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Compare Sandra vs Abrajin to Harlowe vs Harkaitz for in-joke rofls.

Your emote comic is very funny, well done.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    The only thing that bothers me when someone talks about something being "anime" is that they always conveniently forget all about wuxia. C'mon guys, give credit where credit is due.
    (Scrubbed} I generally do not care for Wuxia either...it's usually quite weird. You have to disregard all laws of physics without any explanation for why.

That said, I've liked a few of them. House of Flying Daggers had such a neat story that I could even look past the silliness.

Edit: This is not a reflection on Tome of Battle. "Anime-styled" or not, the book is awesome. Exalted is undeniably "Anime-styled," (I'd say "or Wuxia" but the pictures are all Anime) and I like it anyway.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2008-10-23 at 07:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

{Scrubbed}. I generally do not care for Wuxia either...it's usually quite weird. You have to disregard all laws of physics without any explanation for why.
    Here's why Wuxia films break the laws of physics: The Chinese Audience knows what real life Shaolin Monks are capable of. Feats like running on walls, doing handstands on the top of a balanced 10' pole, breaking bricks with your forehead, dragging boulders with your testicles... that's not the product of amazing fantasy... that's what Average Viewer Chan's second cousin can do. To impress a Chinese Audience, people have to fly.

Watching people who are truly proficient at their arts, whether it's martial arts or Olympic Diving... people can perform feats that you would swear were impossible if you weren't seeing them with your own eyes.

D&D is a world where those who are experts can routinely perform supernatural tasks just by having lots of Hit Dice or ranks in Diplomacy, Climb or any other example you want to think of, but as soon as you call it "Sapphire Nightmare Blade" it's unrealistic.
    Last edited by Gorbash Kazdar; 2008-10-23 at 07:05 PM.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so tempted to ask for an explanation, but I'm sure I'll be sorry if I do...
    And that's why you got an 8, not a 0.

@^: What is your avatar, above the sign? Simple curiousity.

@OP: I was amused, since I missed your request for comments. I liked the evasion at the end too, though for maximum satire some angry blush in that last panel would serve what's her face well (Make it look like *yes*, she really is an Exalted reject)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Needs a panel or two devoted to the "more options" aspect of the book. Perhaps one panel for spellcaster VS. core fighter (I power attack for full again) and another for spellcaster VS. ToB, or perhaps all three in one panel. You could also, of course, choose option C (something I haven't mentioned).

B+
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

These comics are great, very lulzy. nice work. I love how everyone can agree to hate the monk.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Hilarious, and the head and hands drawing style works well. Also as far as the average viewer chan's second cousin, hardly. What shaolin monks are capable of is impressive, but they are not a large group, and most can't do that.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Those were some funny comics. Kudos Vael
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Here's why Wuxia films break the laws of physics: The Chinese Audience knows what real life Shaolin Monks are capable of. Feats like running on walls, doing handstands on the top of a balanced 10' pole, breaking bricks with your forehead, dragging boulders with your testicles... that's not the product of amazing fantasy... that's what Average Viewer Chan's second cousin can do. To impress a Chinese Audience, people have to fly.

Watching people who are truly proficient at their arts, whether it's martial arts or Olympic Diving... people can perform feats that you would swear were impossible if you weren't seeing them with your own eyes.
    I've watched real martial arts experts. They don't look like that.

D&D is a world where those who are experts can routinely perform supernatural tasks just by having lots of Hit Dice or ranks in Diplomacy, Climb or any other example you want to think of, but as soon as you call it "Sapphire Nightmare Blade" it's unrealistic.

As I said, I have no issues with Tome of Battle, or Exalted (in fact I love them both). I was just commenting that I don't like Wuxia any more than I like Anime. It's not an overall hatred in either case, I can count on one hand the number of Wuxia films I found enough redeeming qualities in to like, and there's even some anime that I've liked (Robotech -- yes, I'm a girl who grew up in the 80's -- and Appleseed come to mind.) They're just few and far between. (Appleseed Ex Machina sucked, though. :( Very disappointed.)
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-10-23 at 07:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

These cookies have been in my sig through many threads. Bear them well.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2008-10-23 at 07:44 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.