New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default So how was your first character?

I just watched dorkness rising not too long ago and the LG fighter reminded me of my first character. I told everyone I was new and wanted to play a holy warrior. So I spend hours on the phb trying to learn the rules. During my research phase I decided to the local gaming store after looking for one online. I graned complete divine thinking it would help my paladin and the campaign setting book (FR).

So I started to look through the book and noticed many of the feats paladin could use. I then start to compare the two classes and decided cleric following tempus. The other players were upset that I picked a healing class when they said they needed a tank. With divine power and divine favor active 24 hours I was rocking.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: So how was your first character?

The first character that I actually played was an egotistical Goblin Rogue/Ranger gestalt who actually proved to be quite timid in the face of danger.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Dead within 2 sessions. Farewell 1st level elf. I hardly knew ye.

Getting to 9th level (the highest ever from 1st) was quite an achievement, but I have this suspicion we ran more lethal games than most.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A half orc barbarian who I rolled three 18s for.
    His name was Crunch. He was pretty badass.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't recall my first character, but it's likely to have been a fighter in a D&D Basic game And he would have died in the tunnels in The Keep On The Borderlands!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mine was a 3.5 illusion-happy human sorcerer. Made real good use of his tricks, too -- I think I've already told the story about how he ordered a bunch of dreadguards to destroy each other. He eventually focused more on firepower spells out of sheer necessity. He was impulsive, brash, and arrogant, taunted the badguys during battle, made light of everything, and was hella fun to play. Somehow he survived a whole campaign and made it to 20th level before retiring.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The first character I ever played was a Fighter (the "human" part was simply understood). I rolled an 18 Strength, with the "3d6, six times, in order" method. And then we went and cleared the dungeons near, yes, the Keep on the Borderlands.

We later upgraded to AD&D, converted our characters, and I rolled percentile for my (by then about 10th level) fighter's exceptional strength. And got 00s.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Dwarven Druid. The DM didn't have the faintest idea of how to measure an appropiate challenge, so on the third session we ended up fighting a Naga that overpowered us by a lot - my cousin's characters were doing pretty bad, and I was most likely next in line. So my character decided to take it for the team: grappled its tail... and jumped off the nearby cliff while screaming "**** youuuuuu...", while taking it behind him. Not exactly the world's most awesome heroic sacrifice, but technically heroic nonetheless.

9. - Top - End - #9

Human Druid. We were playing The Hobbit, but we were all really green. We got to the end of the campaign at about 7th level and tried to take on Smog. Smog was a Gargantuan Elder Red Dragon. The encounter went like this: Breath weapon - party gets rocked. Orc Fighter throws a plate at smog, and runs like hell. And escapes. the only one of our party not caught in the flaming blast, and the only one to survive.

The DM was new too..

Our next game was way more fun. Unstead of being way underpowered, we were way overpowered. Two-headed dwarves, dual wielding epic dwarven waraxes, while riding on a magic carpet.. oh god it was awesome. That wasn't even my character.
    Last edited by Seatbelt; 2008-11-06 at 05:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

First Character: Elvan, the Cleric, in AD&D 2nd Edition, who's name I don't even recall now. He ended up dying horribly around three times (first time, he fell off a cliff, and was later bound to another player's character, who's character we shared. The second time that "character" died, he was ripped into little chunks by TWO dragons. He was later resurrected, and promptly died when the DM had to stop DMing and we all lost interest. Read: rocks fall, everyone dies.)

First REAL Character: Hextoler Alier Abakaar, elven Archmage. I took him from level 1-20 in core-only 3.5 D&D. He eventually retired when the players reached level 20 and defeated the enemy. A youthful version of him is the guy in my avatar.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

My first character was a Basic D&D Fighter. Everyone else used pregenerated characters that came with whatever module we were playing, but I insisted on rolling my own and ended up with decidedly substandard stats as a result.

Then I tried to be clever and parry a statue that automatically swung its sword at anyone who came to close, hoping to jam it or break it or something. Instead, it just killed me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

My first character was an elven orphan, who wanted to be a knight someday.

I was really young at the time, my Mom was my first DM.

Unless you count HeroQuest, because my parents started me out on that before graduating up to D&D. In which case my first character was Barbarian.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

First DnD character was a Redbox fighter named Melonial. I had actually rolled a 18 on str!

I was 10 and my dad was Dming. I've had few characters since then since I tend to Dm.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

My first character was Ruk-ruk, the 1st level half-orc cliche barbarian who roared at everything.
    I don't really have anything to put here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My first character... would have been an Elf from the D&D Black Box set. I can't remember him at all, though we kept the module (Zanzer's Dungeon) and used it for pretty much every group thereafter, no matter what edition or what starting level. (Yay taking dragon PCs into a 1st level dungeon!)

The first character I can remember is a 2ed Elf Fighter/Mage. Beleg Cuthalion. He was totally ripped off Tolkien, right down to the name.
    Come to think of it, for the first 6 or so years of playing D&D, all our group's characters were ripped off Tolkien. We like Tolkien.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

My character tried to backstab an keeper, unsuccessfully I might add, went back to his room, awoke to the innkeeper setting fire to the door, my character smashed the door, which in turn smashed the inkeeper.

Good times. Of course, that's the only thing I remember about my first character.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

10th level Elven Wizard with pitiful spell choices. My only SoD/S/L was Dominate Person, and it never worked on anyone. The DM had a poor grasp on WBL, so he didn't have any money either, and just ended up going around casting Wall of Ice. Damn, that spell had a lot of utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Generic first level human Fighter! I think I called him something ridiculous like Blade Strongman.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

My first character was Rungler the Rogue. Lawful neutral.

He had a backstory and everything.

Rungler worked for an evil wizard, doing his bidding, robbing and killing his enemies and most importantly, maintaining his evil castle.

This regime went on for years but eventually the wizard, who was already old, died of old age. Rungler continued to maintain the castle after his master's death.

Until one day a shiny paladin called Hermocrates showed up to kill the wizard. Rungler informed him he was already dead. Hermocrates talked with Rungler and Rungler was convinced to become his squire.

Rungler treated his new master as if he was the wizard often suggesting contempable actions but after some months of the paladin's influence and teachings Rungler ceased to be evil and became lawful neutral.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

20. - Top - End - #20

A dwarven fighter that my friend, who was teaching me the game, said I roll d20's for stats. I got like three twenties. Also I multicalssed to sorcerer, and thought that I could cast level three spells with my resounding 13 charisma. Proceeded to grapple a choker. That was a fun character.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A Wood Elf in the German The Dark Eye RPG. When I switched from The Dark Eye to a fantasy RPG of my own creation, I carried him over. I play him to this day; due to me being the gamemaster pretty much all of the time, and us playing many other systems as well, often with multiple characters per system, he is not even all that far advanced experience-wise. Still one of my most favourite characters.

In terms of D&D I suppose he would be a chaotic good elven ranger, or something like that.

His byname is Winterwind, by the way.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2008-11-06 at 05:58 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first real character I played was a neutral evil Bard called Jack. I played him as a very self-centered, excessively pragmatic bastard. I kept all the outright evil stuff off-screen, though. For instance, he claimed to have made the strings of his violin out of someone's small intestine, and was the designated guy to suggest the unethical solutions to our problems. He wasn't very effective mechanically, but he made a Paladin fall (literally and metaphysically), and sprung the party out of prison a few times (after getting them in there in the first place, of course), so he still contributed.

I ended up having a really hard time justifying his evil alignment until right at the end of the adventure, when he made off with the MacGuffin after collapsing the dungeon on the rest of the party.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

I was a physically weak, fairly charismatic dwarven cleric of Moraden that got kicked out of dwarfdom so he didn't mess things up where any dwarves would be threatened but was told to go forth and show the strength of the dwarven god to the snickering humans. He was also a quarter human (he himself was unaware of this, but he looked...weird because of it) and ended up getting very funny looks for all of the diplomacy rolls he had to make that he did well on. I don't think I actually killed anything except for a single kobold with an enchanted sling-bullet, but I did act as a fairly brave combat medic, once charging into a darkness spell to drag two of our dropped people out of it despite a demon that was trying to (unsuccessfully) gnaw on my butt the whole time. And despite my lack of dwarven strength I at least knew enough tactics to actually lead the party in battle once the paladin mysteriously vanished...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24

Elven Male Fighter/Wizard named Tamariel Amakiir. He's still alive and kicking (although expended one half-party's-wealth True Resurrection thus far). Incredibly intelligent, strong and quick with decent Wis and Cha (and lowish durability). He used a mix of ranged and melee combat with magic to buff himself up.

Sort of a Blood Knight-personality, always seeking opponents worth testing himself against, preferring martial opponents and thinking of pure spellcasters as wussies who don't dare to face the steel. Adventures for that very reason - to test himself against worthwhile foes.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-11-06 at 06:49 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I think my very first was some generic fighter, in my defense I was six. My first real character, when I was eight, was Tekail, a human who was extremely altruistic, and tried to avoid killing, except for when they really deserved it. Died trying to escape from a castle, after killing the evil leader, but only knocking out all the guards. Turned out the guard captain was also an evil bastard. Took him down with me though, so it was a pretty good end.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Goblin

1st DnD? A rather clichéd CG shifter barbarian, who liked the (heroicly) violent approach

1st in any system? A nerdy paranormal-obsessed student in CoC. He got torn apart by a certain Mr Corbett

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

absolute first character was a half-elf ranger with a wooden flail and a dagger, second edition.

After that was a dual wielding half-fiend Blade, still second edition. After that was my introduction to 3rd edition with a dwarven cleric, then a dwarven mage, then a warforged fighter.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

hmmm... as I recall, my first D&D character class was Dwarf, alignment lawful, though I'll be durned if I can remember his name.

The first in any system was a Celt with some magic ability in the old TSR Conan RPG.
    Kungaloosh!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The first game I ever played (pen and paper style, I'd played plenty of PC games before that) was a 3.0 game. The campaign had already started - the PCs had broken into a tower inhabited by goblins that were led by a barghest. The 2 players who were joining (myself included) would be amongst some rescued prisoners, hence we'd have no equipment at the start.

I thought about this and considered the available classes before deciding I'd try a monk since he wouldn't be bothered by the lack of a equipment. Bad idea, really bad idea. Even though he was level 3 (and after we escaped he got access to a decent amount of equipment) he had the one critical problem that all monks have - armour class. Between his DEX, WIS and +1 from starting equipment he only had an AC of 16 IIRC. This meant he didn't do too well in a standup fight as he kept getting whacked.

Heck, on the very first battle we had the barghest coming in one side of the room and a conga line of goblins coming in the other. The party wizard botched his roll for an acid arrow spell and hit my poor monk. He was down to one hit point when the party cleric finally cast create water to wash off the acid.

30. - Top - End - #30

2nd Edition
    roll 3d6 in order
    roll hp at first level
    18/98 str
    11 dex
    12 con
    9 int
    13 wis
    8 cha

CN Human Fighter, 1 hp
    18/98 str, 1 hp

Specialized in dual-wielding 1h bastard swords

1 hp

1 hp...
    obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2008-11-06 at 10:32 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.