New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Flumph

Default Ecosystem in a bag of holding

This idea was formed from a discussion in my D&D group, about keeping a halfling in a bag of holding for longer than the 10 minutes of air would allow. This lead to keeping plants in the bag to provide oxygen, which lead to animals to provide CO2 for the plants. I thought the idea of carrying a small ecosytem in a bag was pretty cool, especially if that ecosystem was large enough to support carnivores.

I'd like to use this idea for my next character and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to accomplish this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ecosystem in a bag of holding

Cast genesis into the bag of holding?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Cast genesis into the bag of holding?
    Quote Originally Posted by D20 SRD
    This spell cannot create life (including vegetation)
    A Bag of Holding already IS a demiplane, so all genesis would do would be to possibly enlarge it. Also, you will need a source of energy for the plants. The daylight spell might do so, though since it doesn't affect Vampires and creatures with similar weaknesses, it is debatable. Still, if I was DM, I would allow it.
    I think there is an item that provides fresh air though, so just sticking one of those in their would probably be easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    A Bag of Holding already IS a demiplane, so all genesis would do would be to possibly enlarge it. Also, you will need a source of energy for the plants. The daylight spell might do so, though since it doesn't affect Vampires and creatures with similar weaknesses, it is debatable. Still, if I was DM, I would allow it.
    I think there is an item that provides fresh air though, so just sticking one of those in their would probably be easier.
    Ooh. Bottle of air and a permanencied daylight spell. Maybe some sort of contingent darkness too, to suppress the daylight every 12 hours for12 hours to provide night and day.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Flumph

Since plants in the real world can be grown using artificial light, it should work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Ooh. Bottle of air and a permanencied daylight spell. Maybe some sort of contingent darkness too, to suppress the daylight every 12 hours for12 hours to provide night and day.
    Hehe, it's good to kill cat girls.
    Or does biology kill something different?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Even better: Make them Vampire plants. No need for sunlight, and they can feed off the Animals.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Hehe, it's good to kill cat girls.
    Or does biology kill something different?
    Since physics kills catgirls, which are bilogical, it only makes sense for biology to kill black holes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Even better: Make them Vampire plants. No need for sunlight, and they can feed off the Animals.
    Yeah, but what do the animals eat? The plants? That is a thermodynamically untenable situation. Besides, the whole reason for the bag o' holding terrarium, is to hold the people inside indefinitely. You don't want your oxygen supply feeding on your passengers, do you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Or just give the halfling an necklace of adaptation so hes always got fresh air to breathe.
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

funkyodor, they COULD do that, but that would be too easy and far less fun!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

First, you need to go with a Portable Hole. The largest BoH is only ~7x7x5. Not big enough for a real ecosystem. I'd see if you can increase the cost to increase the size. 900 cubic feet is nice, but really, an ecosystem requires more if you don't want to be re-introducing plants every few days.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

it's taken THIS LONG for a Bag Wars post?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

how about if you just grow some fungus in there something? technically it would be an ecosystem.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    how about if you just grow some fungus in there something? technically it would be an ecosystem.
    Fungus don't make oxygen, and need a something dead to break down. Seriously, they are more like land based sponges then plants. I read in Discover magazine that on the GENETIC level, fungus are more like animals then plants. They would be important in any ecosystem, but they can't do the whole job. When I said terrarium, I was half joking, but actually, that is what this is, a terrarium with its own light source, and they can be quite small. Google them up for some ideas on designing this place.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2008-11-12 at 12:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

This reminds me of the "There is a town in one of my PC's tummy" thread. That was WIN.

You could always stick the corpses of your victims enemies in there and put some fungus to degrade it...

It would actually be a really good deathtrap for gnomes !

"Hey look ! I got a whole ecosystem in my BoH ! Wanna check it out ? *bluff check optional*

Gnome: Sure !

5 minutes later: Cant breathe, air filled with spores..."
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It's actually been done, minus the bag of holding. Still needs a light source, though, and I don't think they live forever.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

This might be more feasible if the character could create or discover an existing pocket plane. I vaguely recall something about gray circle druids from a FR campaign I played in, but it might have been non-canon. I'm not familiar enough with the setting to know, but I think pocket planes are universal in most campaigns anyhow.

Alternatively, Flesh to Stone and Stone to Flesh are win for hiding people in bags of holding and portable holes indefinately, assuming you've got a wizard or someone who can use the scrolls.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    This idea was formed from a discussion in my D&D group, about keeping a halfling in a bag of holding for longer than the 10 minutes of air would allow. This lead to keeping plants in the bag to provide oxygen, which lead to animals to provide CO2 for the plants. I thought the idea of carrying a small ecosytem in a bag was pretty cool, especially if that ecosystem was large enough to support carnivores.

I'd like to use this idea for my next character and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to accomplish this.
    Plants produce a net of approximately +/-0 carbon dioxide, because they release carbon dioxide during the night and when they rot. Even while active, I really doubt the filtration is anywhere near 100% oxygen returned. (Edit: And I really doubt people exhale as much oxygen in carbon dioxide as they inhaled, for that matter.)

As Ravens cry points out, you're basically fighting the second law of thermodynamics here. You're trying to make a closed system inside the bag of holding (closed systems can actually exist when you've got magic), but you can't sustain one of those, on account of entropy.

So sorry, but no. Go with the necklace of adaptation (or the appropriate ioun stone) instead, if you really want to keep people inside extradimensional spaces.
    Last edited by Tsotha-lanti; 2008-11-12 at 01:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Well, with a magic light source providing energy (like the ones already mentioned) it might be possible, though you would need to really expand the bag of holding extradimensional if your going to produce enough net oxygen for even just a halfling. It technically isn't a closed system with a light source. There must be a way to rig it so you get net oxygen, as on Starship Earth, because without it, we 02 breathing animals wouldn't survive.

NASA is doing some similar experiments, though without the bag of holding.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

We once used a necklace of adaptation to keep a minotaur in a portable hole. We were found of saying "I choose you, minotaur of doom"

Then we forgot about him for a month, and the necklace of adaptation ran out of air.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kbk View Post
    We once used a necklace of adaptation to keep a minotaur in a portable hole. We were found of saying "I choose you, minotaur of doom"

Then we forgot about him for a month, and the necklace of adaptation ran out of air.
    There's nothing quite like being able to drop a Gelatinous Cube in your path to slow pursuers.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    This reminds me of the "There is a town in one of my PC's tummy" thread. That was WIN.
    That... I'd like to see.

Also, you're gonna need a Decanter of Endless Water in there too, well, either that or lots of Create Water spells. Using Genesis to increase the size of the demi-plane helps a lot as well.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    That... I'd like to see.

Also, you're gonna need a Decanter of Endless Water in there too, well, either that or lots of Create Water spells. Using Genesis to increase the size of the demi-plane helps a lot as well.
    Unless you keep the bag of holding the whole time, once you have the initial water supply, (if done right) you only need to add more water at very irregular intervals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_ecological_system

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but you need to get some water in there to begin with.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

That... I'd like to see.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94358

It was actually an island. In one of the PC's tummy. And the other PC's are trying to found a city on it.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but you need to get some water in there to begin with.
    Do rivers exist on your planet? Not everything has to be solved with magic, especially when it can be done cheaper without.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, you can put it in a river, but that's not half as fun as a Decanter of Endless Water.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

It might be easier if you use a bunch of everburning torches as your light source.

Once you have that, supporting the halfling may be actually be possible if you consider the following:
    1) In a typical ecosystem, amount of oxygen generated is limited by the fact light comes from only one direction. So although a tree has many leaves, only the top few are most productive.
    2) Light is only available half the time.

A tree in the BoH with multiple light sources from all over via many EB torches, will recieve much more net light than a typical tree in the forest. It also recieves a continuous supply of light 24 hours a day. I don't have any hard numbers, but a EB torch filled forest in a fair size BoH might be able to generate enough oxygen to support a Halfling.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    It might be easier if you use a bunch of everburning torches as your light source.

Once you have that, supporting the halfling may be actually be possible if you consider the following:
    1) In a typical ecosystem, amount of oxygen generated is limited by the fact light comes from only one direction. So although a tree has many leaves, only the top few are most productive.
    2) Light is only available half the time.

A tree in the BoH with multiple light sources from all over via many EB torches, will recieve much more net light than a typical tree in the forest. It also recieves a continuous supply of light 24 hours a day. I don't have any hard numbers, but a EB torch filled forest in a fair size BoH might be able to generate enough oxygen to support a Halfling.
    Is a terrestial system the best option? I'd think it would be easier to balance an aquatic system.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!