New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default The Pirate Contest!

Pirate Contest

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum! Gather round y'bilge rats and beauties and put down yer grog long enough to make yer' entries! In honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day later this month (Sept. 19), I present to you -- The Pirate Contest.

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until midnight, October 1st (Eastern US Time, which makes it 4 a.m. GMT October 2nd). Please remember, as always, to follow the general contest guidelines.

The Rules:

1.) You will be creating a pirate, his sidekick, his booty, and if you like, his ship & crew.

2.) Your entry must include the following:

1. A pirate (be sure to give your pirate a “trademark” pirate phrase!)
    2. The pirate’s sidekick, who may be an animal companion, henchman, follower, or whatever really.
    3. The pirate’s treasure.
    4. (Optional) The pirate’s ship (including crew)

3.) Entries should be for D&D only and not specific to any particular setting (e.g. Forgotten Realms or Eberron.) Try to avoid referencing non-core books if at all possible, but do what you have to do. For those statting out the ship and crew you may find texts such as Stormwrack helpful, if not downright necessary (that's why it's optional). All items will need to list the relevant details as per standard descriptions, including magical aura, CL, feats & spells required for construction and cost as appropriate for the item.

4.) The character and creature descriptions should include, in addition to the description and history, a stat block containing all relevant details per standard descriptions.

5.) Each new entry should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that set of items and the discussion of it. Put the tag [Pirate] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.

6.) Post a link to your entry on The Entry Thread to let the mods know that you have completed your [Pirate] entry. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference.

7.) If this is your first time entering a design contest here and you say so, you're eligible to win the First Timer's Entry Award.

8.) Categories of voting and judgment will include the following:
    • Best Overall
    • Best Pirate
    • Best Sidekick
    • Best Ship (Optional!)
    • Best Booty
    • Funniest Overall Entry
    • Funniest Single Item (The single item you found most amusing; having this a separate item allows you to include a single amusing element without going for a whole funny concept.)
    • Best First Timer's Entry
    • Roland’s Choice Award (Staff Award).

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread.

This should provide plenty of opportunity for both serious and not-so-serious designs with a balance of crunch and fluff. Good luck!
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Pirate Contest!

4.) The character and creature descriptions should include, in addition to the description and history, a stat block containing all relevant details per standard descriptions.
    Is the format of these stat blocks strictly standardized as well? I know that's been important in the past when Gorby has run Contests.

Awwww, this time there's a First Timer's Prize? Why, why didn't I wait one more Contest to start entering?? Can a second-timer who has won nothing still get this prize? ;)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74

Is the format of these stat blocks strictly standardized as well? I know that's been important in the past when Gorby has run Contests.

Awwww, this time there's a First Timer's Prize? Why, why didn't I wait one more Contest to start entering?? Can a second-timer who has won nothing still get this prize? ;)
    Yes, the stat block should be standardized. If I need to spell that out somewhere I can, but I thought a standard was already established.

As for the first-timers thing, well, I just thought of it. :P
    Forum Rules

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

If you could just spell it out that would be fabulous, as I suddenly find myself with extra time on my hands I would quite like to enter the contest, but with no easy access to the CRB making a full and accurate character sheet from memory is going to be impossible. However just assigning a few relavant feats and skills shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
    The Giant: Are you actually arguing with me about my own strip?? It\'s a freaking black dragon. End of discussion.

5. - Top - End - #5

Do what I'm going to do -- just look at someone else's entry (someone who knows what they're doing because they've entered many contests) and copy & paste their format.

On a side note -- ARRRR MATEY! 'Dis be da bestest Contest Theme ever to grace da Seven Seas! Wind to the sails!
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

This is gonna be interesting ;D

What amuses me is today is my sister's birthday and she's having a pirate-themed party.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74
    Same here, man. Same here.
    -Robbie

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A. A. Milne

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

How much of this can/should be homebrewed? Can we give the berk homebrew items, feats, PrCs, or the like?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    How much of this can/should be homebrewed? Can we give the berk homebrew items, feats, PrCs, or the like?
    As much as you like. Just be sure to give the underlying items, feats, PrCs, etc. appropriately complete descriptions.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Psymon
    If you could just spell it out that would be fabulous, as I suddenly find myself with extra time on my hands I would quite like to enter the contest, but with no easy access to the CRB making a full and accurate character sheet from memory is going to be impossible. However just assigning a few relavant feats and skills shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
    Use this one @V, note that variations may be necessary, if so do your best to put them somewhere that makes sense. ;)
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Yo. Anyone spots any errors or ambiguities in this, just drop me a line.

Name
    Gender, Race, Class
    Size/Type:
    Hit Dice:
    Initiative:
    Speed:
    Armor Class: ( ), touch , flatfooted
    Base Attack/Grapple: +/+
    Attack:
    Full Attack:
    Space/Reach: ft./ ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Challenge Rating:
    Possessions:
    Alignment:
    Spells per Day (If Applicable):
    Spells Prepared/Known (If Applicable):
    Spellbook (If Applicable):
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Try to avoid referencing non-core books if at all possible, but do what you have to do.
    What counts as core books for this?
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awesome

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lemmer

What counts as core books for this?
    At a guess, I'd say the PHB, the DMG, and the MM1. You know - the core.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames the Light

At a guess, I'd say the PHB, the DMG, and the MM1. You know - the core.
    That is the core. I would suppose that, while not core, the SRD is within reason, too.

And it's not a hard and fast rule, do what you have to do.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

A million thank yous!

I, uh, may have some positive feelings towards making pirates as NPCs. And PCs. And, um, in my spare time.
    Wearing the Headpiece of FrInN, it only rarely adheres to flesh.

17. - Top - End - #17

If I had time I could probably look this up somewhere, but ...

More than one entry per person is allowed in these Contests, right?

Not that I plan to flood the contest or anything. But I might want to do, say, two entries. Because I have one idea that I feel obliged to enter, but I'm not sure I want it to be my primary entry.

If one per person is encouraged, I just won't link the one entry to the "Contest Entry Thread," and that will be fine.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I checked to make sure because I entered 2 as well.
    But I am also curious about the "allowed" versus "discouraged" line.
    Wearing the Headpiece of FrInN, it only rarely adheres to flesh.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

What guidelines for character are to be followed here? -- e.g. ability score distributions.
    "If Merlin had seen what you had seen, Merlin would have died, and Merlin would have died without regret, for Merlin receives facts reasonably." -- James Branch Cabell, Jurgen

Also known as Oaz or Cantankerous on other message boards.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'd assume elite array or roll like a PC. I chose roll like a PC; makes the character more personal.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Carmichael
    What guidelines for character are to be followed here? -- e.g. ability score distributions.
    Do whatever you like for things like ability score generation, level, etc. It's meant to be kind of wide open.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #22

Zombie

Hey, first timer here. i was wondering, can it be two shiops, a large one, and a smaller companion? I'm working on a Father/Daughter Team, and wany to know ahead of time.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Rama_Lei
    Hey, first timer here. i was wondering, can it be two shiops, a large one, and a smaller companion? I'm working on a Father/Daughter Team, and wany to know ahead of time.
    An entry must include: a pirate, a sidekick/companion, a booty. It may include a ship & crew.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Can the daughter be the sidekick? Can she be on her own ship? Sure.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #24

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude

An entry must include: a pirate, a sidekick/companion, a booty. It may include a ship & crew.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Can the daughter be the sidekick? Can she be on her own ship? Sure.
    Yes, I was asking if it could be two seperate ships. Thanks.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Does the ship have to be a ship? Or could it be a monster? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy938 View Post
    Drow of the Underdark is a misnomer. We all know there are no drow in the underdark, they're all too busy on the surface rebelling against themselves.
    my strong suit clashes
    Current stocks: 128 LIGD, 104 gp cash
    DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I say/do seriously! Especially this!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by jenga joe
    Does the ship have to be a ship? Or could it be a monster? ???
    Given that ship & crew are optional, I'd say you could take an expansive view of what qualifies as a ship. I'd leave it up to the judges to sort out if they prefer an animal ship or a ship ship.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

First-timer here, too. Should our entries be added to the completed entires thread when we've initially posted all details, or when we've made whatever changes the crtiquers have mentioned and are ready to finalize things, as it were?

As a corollary, are we allowed to edit our entries once they've been critiqued? I haven't seen anything barring that, but I don't want to be accidentally disqualified, you know? :E
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    Spinning as it leaps, the beer mug nicks your nose for 1 point of bludgeoning. You raise your warhammer to shatter the attacker ... but pause. How many times have you slammed a few back at a pub? How many times have you struck mugs with a friends?

"Alright, that makes us even cup. I'll not ..."

**THUD**

The barstool's long legs sweep you to the ground. The moment of doubt passes, continuing the most bizarre bar fight of your adventuring career.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dareon
    First-timer here, too. Should our entries be added to the completed entires thread when we've initially posted all details, or when we've made whatever changes the crtiquers have mentioned and are ready to finalize things, as it were?
    You post it when you yourself think its done. Everyone probably adjusts after comments, which can continue until the last day. So I say put it in done, and let the comments roll 8)

As a corollary, are we allowed to edit our entries once they've been critiqued? I haven't seen anything barring that, but I don't want to be accidentally disqualified, you know? :E
    You can edit to your heart's content until the cut-off time.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Btw, how about mentioning the Pirate contest in Homebrew. Everyone has probably seen the Organization results by now ;)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Btw, how about mentioning the Pirate contest in Homebrew. Everyone has probably seen the Organization results by now ;)
    You read my mind. That's on my to-do list for the day.
    Forum Rules