New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Summer Organization Contest ENTRY THREAD

It's summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, and it's been a really hot one (at least in North America). So, both in honor and because of the brain-cell killing temperatures, and also of our recent board reorganization, I present the Summer Organization Contest.

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until midnight, September 1st (Eastern US Time, which makes it 4am GMT Sept 1st). Please remember, as always, to follow the contest guidelines.

The Rules

1) Your organization cannot be an adventuring party. It should also have enough power or influence that it represents either something a PC would be interested in joining, or a reasonable adversary or ally for a party. (Note that this means you can make an organization that wouldn't be open to the majority of normal PCs).

2) Your organization must have some sort of relationship to heat or the summer. It can be in the name, the background, they could be connected to fire or a being of fire in some manner, they could oppose fire beings, anything. Get creative! (Note: Avoid references to the Silver Flame, or copying material created for that faith for the Eberron Campaign Setting. I'm very familiar with Eberron, and I will catch it, so don't try.)

3) Your entry must include the following
    • The name of your organization (preferably in big, bold letters at the top)
    • Flavor text - whatever you feel is appropriate. Please italicize.
    • General description
    • Purpose - a one or two sentence mission statement, describes goals and methods. The goal need not be some world-spanning scheme, just a reason the organization got together in the first place.
    • Alignment - the alignment of the organization as a whole, followed by acceptable member alignments in parantheses (if only those with the same alignment as the organization are admitted, just list organization alignment; if any alignment is allowed to join, put "All" in parantheses).
    • GP Resource limit/economics - how much the organization has available to it in regards to gear, hiring professionals, and so forth. Also, any speciail economic benefits for being a member (cheaper access to spells, for example).
    • Membership Requirements - how to become a member, what is required to remain a member, and any particularly noteworthy requirements to advance. Please include even if the organization would not normally be open to PCs. Birthright (eg. "must be a noble" or "inherited position") is a reasonable requirement.
    • Authority Figures (Name, Class(es), Levels) - the people who are ostensibly in charge. Please include a brief description.
    • Other Important Figures (Name, Class(es), Levels) - include a brief description
    • Racial Makeup - generally, break it down in percentages. For an organization that accepts only one or two races, put "<race(s)> only" (eg. "Ellves and Half-elves only"). For those that bar one or two races, put "<race(s)> barred" (eg. "Gnomes and halflings barred"). If it's simply very unusual for a race to join - such as a goblin joining a knightly order - and not actively banned, don't list it as such.
    • Class make-up of other followers - Percentages, generally. For organizations that are exclusive to particular classes, follow the same pattern as with races.
    • Origins/history/lore - how the organization came to be, important events of their past. Preferably, include Knowledge check DCs for players to find out more specific information.
    • Adventure hook - please include at least one adventure hook for a party
    • The crunchy bit - each entry should include one piece of new "crunchy" content; please select from the list below. You may make more than one of these, but only one may be used for judging.
      • A feat (or a tree of up to three)
      • A spell or psionic power (or a set of up to three)
      • A magic, psionic, or mundane item (any gp value; may include artifacts owned, protected, sought, etc. by the organization)
      • An organization exclusive prestige class (3, 5, or 10 levels), if you're feeling particularly ambitious
      • OPTIONAL: You may also include Affiliation stats for your organization, as described in the PHB2. You may include these stats and another one of the "crunch" items since the PHB2 is not available for everyone.

4) Start the subject line of your entry with [Org], followed by the particular crunchy category your using - {Feat}, {Spell}, {Power}, {Item}, or {PrC} - followed by the organization name. If you're including Affiliation stats, put a "/A" after the other crunchy category.

5)When your entry is complete (and not before!) please post it to this thread, and note which "crunchy" category your entering.

[hr]
    Judging Categories
    • Best Overall
    • Best Articulation of the Theme
    • Funniest Organization
    • Best PC Organization (must be open to PCs joining up easily)
    • Best Ally Organization
    • Best Adversary Organization
    • Best Adventure Hooks
    • Best <Crunch>
      • Feat (or Feats)
      • Spell (or Spells)
      • Power (or Powers)
      • Item
      • Prestige Class
      • Affiliation Stats
    • Gorby's Seal of Approval (Staff Award)

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread.

This will hopefully give a nice mix of fluff and crunch for all you designers out there. Good luck!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Summer Organization Contest ENTRY THREAD

Introducing the fantastic /B/rotherhood, complete with their magical item of fabled power, the 'Fro Wig of Pool Closing.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Because two is better than one*, the Mindfire Knights are here to save the day!

*Especially one is an in-joke that about three people, tops, are going to get.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Order of the Hidden Fire is basically done. I may tweak it a little bit, but it's pretty much finished. I welcome, nay, encourage feedback, comments, constructive criticism, and suggestions.

I hope everyone finds it interesting and I apologize for its reliance on specific campaign setting content.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Sect of the Burning Feast: a fringe organization of druids who cook and eat people to divine the future and hunt down apostate druids. Featuring the dark side of druidic practices and creepy sympathetic magic (you know, voodoo dolls and such).

And it's complete now!

Meet and vote for the Sect of the Burning Feast!
    "If Merlin had seen what you had seen, Merlin would have died, and Merlin would have died without regret, for Merlin receives facts reasonably." -- James Branch Cabell, Jurgen

Also known as Oaz or Cantankerous on other message boards.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Doom the Daystar:
    Your Low to Epic Level, nature wrecking, god hating, sun destroying organization of doom! Enhanced with Psionics, Arcane magic, and tentacles.

Basicly, a large organization that is designed for players to interact with differently at different character levels, each time still providing a potent threat.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1155489166
    This entry is for the Organization, the Optional Affiliation rules, and the prestige class. "Daystar Innovator*"

Will be doing some spellchecking and grammer checking in the next few days, as well as adding some additional bonus content that isn't part of the material being judged.

*Not to be confused with Arcane Innovator, provided for all you non-psionics users.
    Kravas avatar created by Mephibosheth

8. - Top - End - #8

The Callers of the Summer Rain, my second entry in this contest, is officially finished. As with my other entry, I can't promise I won't make some minor tweaks, but it's mostly finished.

Again, I apologize for the setting-specific nature of this organization. Hopefully the adaptation section I've included will help make up for that. This one should be a bit easier to adapt. I hope everyone likes it.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

9. - Top - End - #9

The nefarious Ones-with-trees are finally finished, and are up and ready for judging, entering in the {Item} category.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The Soulfire Knights are complete.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Batter up! Take your swings in the Fireballers' League.

Now with a prestige class for extra crunch. Feel free to comment, criticize, or mock mercilessly.

And while it's done, I'll probably continue to add plot hooks (and tweak flavor text... one of the sections of text drives me nuts...) right up to the deadline.
    Ahthankya, thankyaverymuch.

12. - Top - End - #12

The Flame Speaker Academy is now enrolling!

Constructive critisim and/or comments are wellcome!
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

13. - Top - End - #13

The guild of Pyrotransitionists has been unleashed, and entered in the {PRC} category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Yes! CLEARLY your personal experience is a better, more accurate source of statistics than a nationwide survey! Man, it rocks to be you!
    (Not referring to me)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ilidan by Were-sandwich. Drenai Tieflings and Human by me.

Owner of a Darkcoraxatar.

14. - Top - End - #14

Here's the Loatuo Firewalkers, submitted for your approval. First contest, so go easy on me. Hope you like it.

I'm entering the Prestige Class category, just cause it's the best I got...
    -Robbie

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A. A. Milne

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've now proofread my entry, the many-layered
    Steamscorch Guild.

Best used to design a whole group of adventures around -- it won't be very interesting as a one-time encounter.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Edit: Hrmmm, that looks a bit tasteless. Ho hum.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this is my first contest entry. Connection to summer is a bit random but hey, it's what came to mind. Here goes:

The Vintners
    A secret society

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1156888956

Any advice on future entires is much appreciated.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

18. - Top - End - #18
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Order of the Rusty Kettle

“Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

[glow=orange,2,300]The Cinderborn Sentinels[/glow] - Burn, baby, burn! Now with pics!

Featuring a cruncheriffic PrC, the Cinderborn Acolyte. Burn, baby, burn!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Cult of SummerKin Entry

Please take a look at my entry, a cult of sun worshippers:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1156973936

Comments most welcome.
    Cayzle
    Cayzle's Wemic Site -- dishing liontaur stuff since 1999, a D&D blog since 2004, and a Web comic since 2007.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rassafrassin' writer's block...

The Children of the Burning River are as done as they're going to get. Their item, Coldflame, is up for judging.
    Ahthankya, thankyaverymuch.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Catalysts are ready to burn down the house. I've also chosen the Golem Cube as my judged item.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The bluescale order is done and ready to be critiqued. (And hopefully voted for). Not to mention just in time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Order of the Desert Orchid is now ready for review!

Whew...barely made it.
    D&D: Libra Edition
    An update to the core 3.5 system

Currently posted
    Barbarian (Updated- Table completed)

Coming soon...
    Bard

25. - Top - End - #25