New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default feats that grant darkvision

I'm looking for a way to do this that isn't bloody awkward. So far I've only found 2 ways to gain continuous darkvision through feats.

Draconic Senses is way too high an investment, since 99% of characters will have to utterly waste a feat on Dragontouched and it's very likely the third draconic feat neccecary to upgrade Senses will be suboptimal too. The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

Is there anything out there that isn't such a hassle?

(I don't want a wand, class dip, or a wizard cohort. An item might be ok if it's cheap provides a continuous effect but really I want a feat)
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-11-29 at 08:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: feats that grant darkvision

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    I'm looking for a way to do this that isn't bloody awkward. So far I've only found 2 ways to gain continuous darkvision through feats.

Draconic Senses is way too high an investment, since 99% of characters will have to utterly waste a feat on Dragontouched and it's very likely the third draconic feat neccecary to upgrade Senses will be suboptimal too. The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

Is there anything out there that isn't such a hassle?

(I don't want a wand, class dip, or a wizard cohort. An item might be ok if it's cheap provides a continuous effect but really I want a feat)
    Well, if you're okay with being a mage yourself, Sunlight Eyes (Complete Mage) gives you a one-round Swift-Action ability to see regardless of conditions of illumination - including through magical darkness - with a range based on the level of the spell held in reserve. Umbral Shroud (Complete Champion) gives Darkvision-10 as a secondary benefit.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warlock 1 gives you a Least Invocation. Take See the Unseen, you get Darkvision 60 and Continuous See Invisibility. It's At Will, 24 hour Duration.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

If you're a high Wis type, you might invest in Blindfight, and then go into Blindsight 5ft

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSepp View Post
    Warlock 1 gives you a Least Invocation. Take See the Unseen, you get Darkvision 60 and Continuous See Invisibility. It's At Will, 24 hour Duration.
    he didn't want a dip.

do you need darkvision or light?

For darkvision, just buy goggles of ultravision (?)

if you can accept light, buy a ring of [insert color of choice here]
    trill in da playground

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

A scroll of darkvision plus a scroll of permanency would give you permanent darkvision.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Bind Vestige (Amon) will give you useless horns and darkvision. Also, it'll make you irritable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Draconic Senses is a pretty solid feat, if you're a Sorcerer... Other than that, buy a torch or Goggles of Darvision.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Bind Vestige (Amon) will give you useless horns and darkvision. Also, it'll make you irritable.
    Bingo! This is probably the easiest 1 feat solution you're going to find...

10. - Top - End - #10

Irritable cause you're horny all the time?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there's this whole part of the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

I don't think there are any feats that GIVE darkvision, but there're a bunch that improve it. The goggles that someone mentioned might be the only way, short of offing yourself a hoping for a good reincarnate. (That should grant darkvision, right?)
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There is another way, but it requires two feats, and making a pact with a devil.

Fiendish Codex II lets you get Devil's Sight, which grants darkvision 60ft and blindsight 30ft for 5 rounds 1/day per Devil-Touched feat you possess. It does require, Devil's Favor though (+2 on attack save or check 1/day per DT feat, prerequisite pact with a devil. Two feats means 2/day for both blindsight and favor bonus. Penalties for DT feats are 1) cannot take or use exalted feats, and 2) -1 to Cha skill checks to interact with good creatures and animals.

Only other feat chain I could find.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lords of Madness has Inhuman Vision, which has Aberration Blood as a prerequisite. It gives Darkvision to a range of 5 ft. per Aberrant feat you have, many of which are really good for certain characters, or just to spend an extra feat on for more versatility such as Starspawn or Waterspawn.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lert, A. View Post
    There is another way, but it requires two feats, and making a pact with a devil.

Fiendish Codex II lets you get Devil's Sight, which grants darkvision 60ft and blindsight 30ft for 5 rounds 1/day per Devil-Touched feat you possess.
    Eyes of the Abyss + any other Abyssal Heritor feat would also work, but only 5' per abyssal feat. Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Vision might be a bit better.

Otherworldly gives you Darvision 60', +2 on diplomacy, and alter self cheese.

Orc-Blooded (Dragon #315) gives you Darkvision 30' and adds barbarian to your favored classes (good for that pounce dip).

Shape Soulmeld: Basilisk Mask can give you Darkvision 30' per essentia invested, but you'd need a source of essentia... probably from another Incarnum feat. There's another soulmeld you can bind to your brow with Open Lesser Chakra for Darkvision 60'.

Dragonborn of Bahumant only costs 100 gp, doesn't require any feats/templates/LA, and starts with Darkvision 30', goes up to 160' and Blindsense 30'.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Homebrew 'Ebon Eyes' item. Perm'd 60 ft Darkvision and can see through magical darkness. Second Level Spell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

How would that be any cheaper the Goggles of Darkvision?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

yeah. I'd just go with bind vestige, even though that isn't what you want.

A thought if you change your mind. the best way to use the feat is to keep it empty until the you need a given power. Then go ahead, assuming you have the down time, and bind a vestige normally. If you don't have the time, you can rush a binding attempt as a full round action with a -10 penalty to your check....which means next to nothing when using this feat since, not being a binder, It's pretty likely that you'd fail the check anyway.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Eyes of the Abyss + any other Abyssal Heritor feat would also work, but only 5' per abyssal feat. Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Vision might be a bit better.
    Eyes of the Abyss actually grants 30ft darkvision on taking it. The only thing improved by taking other feats is the bonus on spot checks it grants.

One other Abyssal Heritor feat as a prereq for Eyes of the Abyss, then Eyes of the Abyss will net you 30ft darkvision. And there are some GOOD feats in that series.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If the OP isn't thrilled about having a pair of horns, he's probably not that chuffed about being part aberration, demon or dragon, either...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Otherworldy turns you into an Outsider, and all Outsiders have DV 60'...right?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wih View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Otherworldy turns you into an Outsider, and all Outsiders have DV 60'...right?
    pre-requisite: deep imaskari, elf (evermeet or sildeyuir) or ashane
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Incarnum or becoming a Dragonborn is probably your best bet.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing the OP can't retcon his race, but for people who want to play (near) humans and get darkvision, there's always Underfolk.