New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default the perfect wish

this thread is to help make good uses of wish by having others break it and refine it until it is perfect. i'll start:

i wish i could live forever with eternal youth, but not be sent into another plane or put in stasis.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: the perfect wish

Quote Originally Posted by starburst98 View Post
    this thread is to help make good uses of wish by having others break it and refine it until it is perfect. i'll start:

i wish i could live forever with eternal youth, but not be sent into another plane or put in stasis.
    but not so much youth that I'm actually an infant

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Very well, you are now a Golem under the command of a wizard somewhere. The body cannot age, and you will live forever unless you are destroyed. So sorry about that "free will" thing, though.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a whole forum devoted to this, if I recall correctly. The problem with D&D wishes is the phrase "partial fulfillment". That means you can write a perfect Wish in legalese, using several hours to say it, but it can ignore any part of that it wants. The best Wishes in D&D terms are ones that abuse the "normal" abilities.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure being a golem qualifies as being eternally 'youthful.' Even if you ARE a golem, you will age, even if it doesn't affect you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I'm not sure being a golem qualifies as being eternally 'youthful.' Even if you ARE a golem, you will age, even if it doesn't affect you.
    Well, if you are an Elan, you still age, though it doesn't affect you. Same for Warforged, etc. If you really wanted to not age at all, that would mean stasis.

Spoiler
    Show

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by starburst98 View Post
    The perfect wish is whatever would put the DM's "Robert Jordan/R.A. Salvatore is a HACK, *this* is how you write epic fantasy" novel he's been trying to shove down the players' throats back on track, which they've completely ruined up to this point. If you can work in that +5 Souldrinker/Holy Avenger Sword That Is Totally Not Stormbringer/Excalibur/Anduril for your character, so much the better.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    The perfect wish is whatever would put the DM's "Robert Jordan/R.A. Salvatore is a HACK, *this* is how you write epic fantasy" novel he's been trying to shove down the players' throats back on track, which they've completely ruined up to this point. If you can work in that +5 Souldrinker/Holy Avenger Sword That Is Totally Not Stormbringer/Excalibur/Anduril for your character, so much the better.
    Wow. Just a little bit cynical, are we?
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-12-08 at 01:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

There is a whole website dedicated to getting the perfect wish. I think it is PerfectWish.com or something
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

10. - Top - End - #10

A turkey sandwich

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lisiecki View Post
    A turkey sandwich
    *Ding* Win.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Create a Simulacrum of a Efreeti, Solar, or anyother creature with wish as an SLA. Then wish for a +9x10150000000 Vorpal, Flaming, Flaming burst, Abberation Bane, Animal Bane, Construct Bane, Dragon Bane, Elemental Bane, Fey Bane, Giant Bane, Aquatic Humanoid Bane, Dwarf Bane, Elf Bane, Gnoll Bane, Gnome Bane, Goblinoid Bane, Halfling Bane, Human Bane, Reptilian Humanoid Bane, Orc Bane, Magical Beast Bane, Monstrous Humanoid Bane, Ooze Bane, Air Outsider Bane, Chaotic Outsider Bane, Earth Outsider Bane, Evil Outsider Bane, Fire Outsider Bane, Good Outsider Bane. Lawful Outsider Bane, Water Outsider Bane, Plant Bane, Undead Bane, Vermin Bane, Brilliant Energy, Dancing, Defending, Frost, Shock, Icy Burst, Shocking Burst, Ghost Touch, Keen, Ki Focus, Merciful, Mighty Cleaving, Spell Storing, Throwing, Distance, Thundering, Vicious, Wounding, Medium Spiked Chain of Speed

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Efreets? FTW?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Well, the perfect wish is the one where you get what you want. Well, what you want is the key factor.

"I wish to be shielded from the life sapping attacks of the undead" would be a perfectly reasonable wish to have Death Ward cast on you. Reasonable in power, and execution.

"I wish that John Eric, the healer of our group, were alive again." Sensible for a wish to replicate a Raise Dead spell.

15. - Top - End - #15

A turkey sandwich
    make sure to say that the turkey can not be dry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    make sure to say that the turkey can not be dry.
    You know the way i see it, the universe only try's to mess with you, if you get greedy.
    If you spend 10,000 gp on a sandwich, im going to assume it will be tasty

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Well, the perfect wish is the one where you get what you want. Well, what you want is the key factor.

"I wish to be shielded from the life sapping attacks of the undead" would be a perfectly reasonable wish to have Death Ward cast on you. Reasonable in power, and execution.

"I wish that John Eric, the healer of our group, were alive again." Sensible for a wish to replicate a Raise Dead spell.
    True. Said spells are well within the usual power of Wish. Only a real sadistic and/or unreasonable DM would twist those.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know the way i see it, the universe only try's to mess with you, if you get greedy.
    If you spend 10,000 gp on a sandwich, im going to assume it will be tasty
    And that is why you will have a live turkey between two french rolls and be pissed. Enjoy your 10k gold lost and 5k exp drain.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    True. Said spells are well within the usual power of Wish. Only a real sadistic and/or unreasonable DM would twist those.
    My wish earlier in this thread was within the defined power of the wish spell, how many DMs would try to twist that?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wish for total anonymity."

The "Universe" (That is, the GM) twists my wish by making everyone forget me.

Joke is on him, it's what I actually wanted.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    My wish earlier in this thread was within the defined power of the wish spell, how many DMs would try to twist that?
    Sorry. Clarification: i meant within the spell's parameters such as it applies to the bullet-pointed list of things Wish can do flawlessly. Death Ward is laughably easy for Wish to duplicate, as it is a 4th level spell, and ressurections are another explicit category of things Wish can do (in fact, it has the strength of Resurrection, not Raise Dead.

The wish for immortality falls outside these parameters, and in fact is the given example of a twistable wish.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-12-09 at 01:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    And that is why you will have a live turkey between two french rolls and be pissed. Enjoy your 10k gold lost and 5k exp drain.
    Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value (turkey sandwich) + Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower. (Create Food and Water)

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

Man... I have no idea what level of value is placed on deli sandwiches in your game world...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value (turkey sandwich) + Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower. (Create Food and Water)

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

Man... I have no idea what level of value is placed on deli sandwiches in your game world...
    You try finding a deli in a pseudo-medieval swords-and-sorcery world.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The DM shouldn't pervert a sandwich-style Wish. Even if you explicitly wanted a sandwich worth20k+, that's still within the bounds of the Wish and should be granted in it's entirety, true to both meaning and intent. That is the RAW(one of the few situations in which it applies to Wish).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Sorry. Clarification: i meant within the spell's parameters such as it applies to the bullet-pointed list of things Wish can do flawlessly. Death Ward is laughably easy for Wish to duplicate, as it is a 4th level spell, and ressurections are another explicit category of things Wish can do (in fact, it has the strength of Resurrection, not Raise Dead.

The wish for immortality falls outside these parameters, and in fact is the given example of a twistable wish.
    Yes but my wish for a massively broken item was within the defined parameters of the spell. It would cost twice as much XP to make than it would normally, but creatures with a wish SLA don't pay XP for the ability it doesn't apply. Meaning any magic item can be created for free.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My DM overrules that. ANY wish can be perverted, even if it's in the bounds of the "mundane" Wish abilities.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    My DM overrules that. ANY wish can be perverted, even if it's in the bounds of the "mundane" Wish abilities.
    Houserules have no place in a RAW discussion.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

"I wish to be immortal and eternally young without any harmful and/or unintended side effects"

"I wish nothing bad will ever happen to me ever again"

there.
    Last edited by Trizap; 2008-12-09 at 01:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

You try finding a deli in a pseudo-medieval swords-and-sorcery world.
    Well the deli thats thought to be the worlds oldest, Salumeria Gusti, is at least 400 years old. So it falls in the right time period for the end of the age.

I'd make a joke about if there are pseudo-medieval Jews there's going to be a pseudo-medieval deli, but im afraid my mom will find this post...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Houserules have no place in a RAW discussion.
    I know, I just felt like complaining.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff