New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Broken Dragon Feats

I'm curious, what are your favorite broken feats from Dragon, that only the most reckless or obtuse DM would let you get away with.

My favorite two are

Improved Combat Reflexes - lets you make a two AoOs against a foe that provokes once, the second one at a -5

Greater Combat Reflexes - lets you make three AoOs against a foe that provokes once, the second is at -5, and the third is at -10.

these two are SO exploitable with Rolibar's gambit/Karmic Strike, and even more so factoring in Double Hit....insanity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Broken Dragon Feats

I'm a fan of Customize Domain.

3. - Top - End - #3

Chicken Infested

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

care to list their descriptions, to those unenlightened?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Customize Domain lets you remove spells from one of your domains and replace them with equally-leveled spells off of any list that are thematically appropriate. It's an interesting feat, but it can also be horrendously broken.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Keen Intellect was a feat that let you use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom one for Will saves and a few skills. There's also Faerie Mysteries Initiate - I think this was supposed to add your Int bonus to your HP but due to some bad writing, ended up sounding like 'use Int instead of Con for HP every level'. Both are munchkin magnets.

And then there's Easy Metamagic, which lets you reduce the level adjust of a metamagic feat. As a general rule, anything that allows you to get metamagic without paying the full price for it has enormous abuse potential.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keen Intellect was a feat that let you use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom one for Will saves and a few skills.
    I want that one. Which Dragon is it from?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A player wanted to use Faerie Mysteries Initiate in my game. That was a no.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    I want that one. Which Dragon is it from?
    Can't remember. I think it was suppposed to be a Kitsuki family ability from the Legend of the Five Rings Rokugan setting.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't there a splatbook feat called Mind over Matter, that does the int bonus to hp?

and you get +1 hp for every metamagic feat you learn
    Last edited by zerombr; 2008-12-11 at 07:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Keen Intellect was a feat that let you use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom one for Will saves and a few skills. There's also Faerie Mysteries Initiate - I think this was supposed to add your Int bonus to your HP but due to some bad writing, ended up sounding like 'use Int instead of Con for HP every level'. Both are munchkin magnets.
    1) Keen Intellect also uses Int for several previously Wis based skills.

2) I'm pretty sure that replacing Con with Int is exactly what FMI was intended to do. Since the actual wording is: "Use your Int bonus in place of your Con bonus to calculate HP."

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord View Post
    2) I'm pretty sure that replacing Con with Int is exactly what FMI was intended to do. Since the actual wording is: "Use your Int bonus in place of your Con bonus to calculate HP."
    Yes, but that's so obviously broken that you need a further explanation. My guess is that they meant it to be like the old 3.0 Mind over Matter feat, where it replaced Con with Int for level 1 only, but someone didn't get the memo.

Edit: Oh, and it's apparently a Greyhawk regional feat. Well, that gives a second reason to say no to it, like you need one. :P

- Saph
    Last edited by Saph; 2008-12-11 at 07:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    A player wanted to use Faerie Mysteries Initiate in my game. That was a no.
    Interestingly, this one and a few others are extremely frequent suggestions in any character creation thread, with the apparent implication that they are commonly allowed in a game (which I'm reasonably certain they're not, for a variety of reasons).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

A fellow player's character has Fearie Mysteries as a feat. The condition the DM put was that she should take it as her first level feat, but it will take her from one to three character levels to find another person to perform the ritual with.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

What does Faerie Mysteries Initiate do? Except from sounding exquisitely girly.

Keen Intellect is from Dragon #318. In addition to letting you use Int for Will saves it also let's you do the same for Heal, Spot, Sense Motive and Survival.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

FMI ,eakes you use your int bonus instea of your con bonus to calculate Hp
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd feel the need to take a shower if I made serious use of Easy Metamagic.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I really like the feat that replaces one of your casting stats with another stat, only because I find the idea of casting magic with your Dexterity to be awesome.

Breakdancing for magic? Sign me up.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    What does Faerie Mysteries Initiate do? Except from sounding exquisitely girly.
    It has a few ritual things you can do for various benefits, one of which is an, uh, "act" with another person with the feat that lets you use Int rather than Con for HP.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    I really like the feat that replaces one of your casting stats with another stat, only because I find the idea of casting magic with your Dexterity to be awesome.

Wich feat allows you to do that?
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Yes, but that's so obviously broken that you need a further explanation. My guess is that they meant it to be like the old 3.0 Mind over Matter feat, where it replaced Con with Int for level 1 only, but someone didn't get the memo.

Edit: Oh, and it's apparently a Greyhawk regional feat. Well, that gives a second reason to say no to it, like you need one. :P

- Saph
    I'm sorry, how is replacing one stat with another broken? You don't need a further explanation. It's called:

Hey, Elven Wizards have Con penalties and that sucks because con is needed by everyone, let's give them a feat that changes it to Int.

And then they did, that was their intention, you don't need further explanation, they already had the old Mind Over Matter feat, so if they had wanted it to be like that they could have.

Which is more likely: A huge error, somebody had no idea what they were writing.

WotC decided to give Wizards a super cool option to reward them for high Int because they were under some mistaken impression that Wizards had low HP and that mattered.

The only complaint you have is: "It makes Wizards have too much HP." Which is precisely the point, it's supposed to give them more HP.

I mean, toughness is better then Mind over Matter in most cases. Some feats aren't balanced on Weapon Focus. They are balanced on Quicken Spell or Shocktrooper.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So, a Wizard who takes Keen Intellect and Faerie Mysteries Initiate doesn't need Con (because of FMI), doesn't need Wis (Because of Keen Intellect) and doesn't need Cha (because he's not the face). He needs Dex (AC, reflex, Initiative), Str (for ranged touch only, really). Say, isn't there a feat that lets you use Int for some Dex things?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

insightfull reflexes allows you to use int rether than dex to calculate your reflex saves. And str is not used on ranged touch attacks, dex is for that.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    So, a Wizard who takes Keen Intellect and Faerie Mysteries Initiate doesn't need Con (because of FMI), doesn't need Wis (Because of Keen Intellect) and doesn't need Cha (because he's not the face). He needs Dex (AC, reflex, Initiative), Str (for ranged touch only, really). Say, isn't there a feat that lets you use Int for some Dex things?
    Ranged touches use Dex, not Str.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Ranged touches use Dex, not Str.
    Oh, that's right! So, our Wizard only needs Dex and Int, eh?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Oh, that's right! So, our Wizard only needs Dex and Int, eh?
    Pretty much, yeah.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry, how is replacing one stat with another broken? You don't need a further explanation. It's called:
    Hey, Elven Wizards have Con penalties and that sucks because con is needed by everyone, let's give them a feat that changes it to Int.
    A wizard isn't going to have more than +5 modifier to constitution, even with a bonus item. That gives +100 HP.
    The same wizard is going to have a +12 modifier to intelligence. That's +240 HP.

Effectively, Faerie Mysteries Initiate means +140 HP for wizards plus no longer needing to pay 36.000 GP for constitution boost item. Does the +140 HP and 36.000 GP for a single feat seem balanced to you?

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

With the right feats, wizards are so SAD.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belial_the_Leveler View Post
    A wizard isn't going to have more than +5 modifier to constitution, even with a bonus item. That gives +100 HP.
    The same wizard is going to have a +12 modifier to intelligence. That's +240 HP.

Effectively, Faerie Mysteries Initiate means +140 HP for wizards plus no longer needing to pay 36.000 GP for constitution boost item. Does the +140 HP and 36.000 GP for a single feat seem balanced to you?
    I dunno. Why don't you do a similar cost comparison to the potential benefits of, say, Power Attack?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post

If that's an actual feat, I now have an excellent character concept to apply it. In two words: Barbarian Batman. In more words: an orc who casts spells by hitting reality with his axe so hard that it conforms to his will.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2008-12-11 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.