New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Do all topics run off topic?

Hi, as you can tell by my join date, i'm fairly new around here. But one thing that's stuck out to me is that every thread i've read seems to have at least two, usually more regular posters on their that start really just talking about something totally irrelevant, then seem to spark up a conversation within the topic that has nothing to do with what the OP had in mind. What i wanted to know was, does this always happen, or am i just looking at all the threads that do this?

P.s. please don't start talking about how a wizard/cleric/druid/whatever is the best choice for powergaming or something similar. I know i've probably asked for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Either way, I prefer characters who tend to stick to the tried and true methods, including alignments. This, however, implies a lawful alignment. So is it actually lawful to play a chaotic character from a usually chaotic race? It's like, a paradox.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do all topics run off topic?

Well, sometimes they ...

Ooo! Look! Butterfly!

Seriously though, most topics do generally drift or die.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2008-12-16 at 04:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Immutep View Post
    Hi, as you can tell by my join date, i'm fairly new around here. But one thing that's stuck out to me is that every thread i've read seems to have at least two, usually more regular posters on their that start really just talking about something totally irrelevant, then seem to spark up a conversation within the topic that has nothing to do with what the OP had in mind. What i wanted to know was, does this always happen, or am i just looking at all the threads that do this?

P.s. please don't start talking about how a wizard/cleric/druid/whatever is the best choice for powergaming or something similar. I know i've probably asked for it.
    All threads decend in to how overpowered magic is
    OR
    Posters going on and on about there 13 doctorates in every subject that could possibly be related to the thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You know who could stay on one topic and get his point across? Hitler.

Seriously, though, the problem is that in any logical discussion lots of assumptions are made. Sometimes people disagree with those assumptions and so they effectively start a new topic in that thread to talk about that. Or they bring in baggage from other threads (see: Monk v Wizard).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it could be reasonably said that this happens to all threads which don't die within fifteen posts. On every forum I've ever encountered, in fact. The signal-to-noise ratio is regrettably pretty low here, but it's apparent all over the internet.

And this probably ought to go in Board/Site Issues.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Really, I look at topics as a conversation between the posters, and when was the last conversation you had that stayed on the same topic it started on?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #7

Threads are like real life conversations. They won't stay on topic unless you have someone very forceful holding them there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm not saying by any means that this is solely happening on this forum, just that it is a bit more annoyingly done here. On other hobby forums i've joined the topic isn't RPG so it's much less distracting i think. Some of these posts could really shine if the OP's question or idea is adhered to so to see it debase into other topic trivial matters is much more upsetting i think.
    Either way, I prefer characters who tend to stick to the tried and true methods, including alignments. This, however, implies a lawful alignment. So is it actually lawful to play a chaotic character from a usually chaotic race? It's like, a paradox.

9. - Top - End - #9

Topics are often resolved to the satisfaction of the Latter Poster, and so he makes a minor point that hasn't yet been addressed.

Often this minor point sparks a longer conversation because it's simply more interesting than the OP's point / question.

And others post to prove some people wrong or answer their unassociated questions.

Batman makes a frequent appearance. And so do people who think it's still clever to throw tired old memes around.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not saying by any means that this is solely happening on this forum, just that it is a bit more annoyingly done here. On other hobby forums i've joined the topic isn't RPG so it's much less distracting i think. Some of these posts could really shine if the OP's question or idea is adhered to so to see it debase into other topic trivial matters is much more upsetting i think.
    This forum is actually pretty good with staying on-topic compared to a lot of others. You really need to check out 4-chan. Or don't, if you value your sanity.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. Sometimes topics do end up derailed by other discussions or just plain silliness (like the Snuggles thread). However, I've also seen topics that stay mostly on point for as many as 10 pages if the topic is particularly contentious and complex.

Personally, I tend to just skip the off topic comments unless they are really funny or interesting.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    You know who could stay on one topic and get his point across? Hitler.
    I see Godwin's Law has been invoked.

I think the problem is that people are deceived. They believe there are infinitely many topics. In reality, there are only a finite number of meta-topics.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

13. - Top - End - #13

That is because everyone is in ur topic, off-topicing ur posts...
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

14. - Top - End - #14

Speaking of meta-topics, there are really only four types of dramatic theme. This seems appropriate to a roleplaying board, so here goes:

Man vs. Man
    Man vs. Elephants
    Pac-Man vs. Elephantitis
    Ms. Pac-Man vs. Internet Memes

15. - Top - End - #15

How often do you wander into a conversation that's exactly what you want to talk about? Don't you usually find that you have to nudge a discussion one way to make it fit what you want to talk about.

Within a certain limit, I consider it sort of the OP's responsibility to keep a thread on topic, if they want to keep a thread on topic. If the OP has further questions or isn't satisfied with their answers, they should ask more specific questions or refine their question. Keep in mind, you're asking your questions to a forum that's a bunch of unpaid bored people who love to discuss D&D and RPG's in general. If they weren't like that, they'd be reading about Hello Kitty's new releases or macrame or whatever. They answer your questions because it amuses them, and if they bend the thread to be more amusing, that's the price of admission.

Obviously, you can't start doing 180's on every topic so there are limits, but once the OP has been addressed, and the question answered I don't see a compelling need to stay exactly on topic. Sometimes the interesting context will be the hijack itself.

For example, an OP asks 'Hey, what's the best 1st level spell for a wizard?' and get's answered 'Sleep, duh' then a hijacker comes on with a rant about the Logic Ninja's Batman Wizard stereotype being overused and someone else asks where they can find more Batman Wizard information. If they had stayed on topic, the OP might never learn there was a spell by spell guide for Wizards, with save or die, save or suck, and no save spells detailed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

If you want to learn more about how forum topics operate, the best source I found was here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

You know whats awesome? Pie. I want to go into a resturant and order Pi meals with e sides and -i^2 drinks.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    You know whats awesome? Pie. I want to go into a resturant and order Pi meals with e sides and -i^2 drinks.
    Just make sure you get square meals. Because, you know, pi r^2.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

19. - Top - End - #19

Whereupon the waiter brings you just about three meals, a crumb of a baked potato on the side, and throws a pitcher of ice water on you.

Roll for Sense Motive to see if he's upset.

20. - Top - End - #20

I give this topic my seal of approval.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

21. - Top - End - #21

That seal of approval is hideous. It gets my club of disapproval (+1).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

@OP: You were asking for this.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I see Godwin's Law has been invoked.
    Godwin's requires comparing a poster to Hitler, not just saying his name. He's not Hastur. Now Hastur, that's a guy with class. If you want something done, all you have to do is call up Hast...
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Glory Unto Good Cat,Who Shoveth rex's Heads Dost Where Hence The Suns Rays Dost Not Be Visible Verily Upon his Native Anatomy."
    Neener Unto The Rexites 17:56
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2008-12-16 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
    Whereupon the waiter brings you just about three meals, a crumb of a baked potato on the side, and throws a pitcher of ice water on you.

Roll for Sense Motive to see if he's upset.
    The number e is actually approximately equal to 2.17

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I give this topic my seal of approval.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    The number e is actually approximately equal to 2.17
    [mathgeek]An approximation to three significant figures would be 2.72, actually.[/mathgeek]
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

28. - Top - End - #28

Question: Do all topics run off topic?
    Answer: Yes.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Some do, some do not. Saph's campaign report thread seems to have been pretty much on topic for five pages or so. Sometimes you can stop a derailment by starting another thread on the topic that is suddenly dominating the thread. Honestly, though, the topics tend to run in cycles with the same ones coming up time and again.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I used to have a dog named Segue. Speaking of dogs...