New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Oh, god. My new dice RULE!

Long story short, I've owned these dice for nearly 5-6 months, and just opened them. Rolled them all in one go and...

D4=4
    D6=6
    D8=8
    D10=0 (read; 10)
    D12=12
    D20=20
    D00=90

If these dice continue like that, they may TPK my party 10 times in one encounter.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Oh, god. My new dice RULE!

Gartz?

You've just rolled all of the luck out of that particular dice set. Put them back in the box, and bury them in your backyard with a sandwich to apease the dice spirits. They will never roll max numbers again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I find that the only way to ensure good behavior on the part of my dice is to give them each names and play them music every night. Timmy-Twelve likes euro-techno, but Tommy-Twenty is a hard rock fan.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Just as likely as any other set of numbers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Just as likely as any other set of numbers.
    Ah, wrong, I'm afraid. The rules of chance, data, and logic don't actually apply to dice. Some dice are lucky, some aren't lucky. It's a simple as that, I seem to have gotten lucky dice. Or, as previously mentioned, I've rolled all their luck away!

Actually...just rolled:

d4=4
    d6=1
    d8=8
    d10=6
    d12=10
    d20=20
    d00=20

Maybe now they're merely slightly lucky?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

oh no. youre rolling away all your twenties. Quick, get an unsuspecting person to roll some ones so that the luck will return. Its the only way.
    -Squidmaster

Thanks to Sanzh for the awesome squidatar. It will use its evil psionics on you. ZZZZAAAAAPPPPPP, munch munch

Spoiler
    Show

He also gave me this shot of our group. I am a mercy-less, evil DM. They will all die.
    Nakedatar byThe Neoclassic

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually its proly because of the slight indent in the bottom of each die has a slightly tilted axis that causes its center of gravity to pul it towards the higher numbers. (For realz. They fill this small gap with paint, but its still lighter than the rest of the die.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Squidmaster View Post
    oh no. youre rolling away all your twenties. Quick, get an unsuspecting person to roll some ones so that the luck will return. Its the only way.
    and fours and eights!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

You've clearly got a set of dice that really want to do well. You have to show them that you're really grateful for what they do by thanking them every time they roll high. They will probably roll low soon, just to test you, but you can't get angry. Encourage them, and tell them that they'll do better the next time. It's very important that you make a good impression now, because the dice will remember it for as long as they exist.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no such thing as lucky dice. One might believe that rolling 20s multiple times is lucky, but each time the chance of rolling a twenty is 1/20. The scenario is similar for the other dice as the probability for each number is nearly equal.
    d4: 1/4
    d6: 1/6
    d8: 1/8
    d10: 1/10
    d12: 1/12
    d20: 1/20
    d00: 1/10

Now if you excuse me, the laws of probability dictate that there is no such thing as lucky dice and therefore *stabs illogical mathematics*
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2008-12-16 at 10:16 PM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Do you and your dice want a private room so you can be alone together? If so, why did you invite us to the party?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    There is no such thing as lucky dice. One might believe that rolling 20s multiple times is lucky, but each time the chance of rolling a twenty is 1/20. The scenario is similar for the other dice as the probability for each number is nearly equal.

Now if you excuse me, the laws of probability dictate that there is no such thing as lucky dice and therefore *stabs illogical mathematics*
    Blasphemy!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Blasphemy!
    The Random number god is a vengeful god!

Sounds like you've got some nice dice. Be kind to them.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, I hope all these disbelievers in this thread don't upset the dice gods.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

15. - Top - End - #15

You're assuming, of course, that the dice were made correctly. There's a good chance that these dice were created poorly, so their center of gravity pulls more towards rolling max that anything else. In other words, the dice might seem amazing, but that's because they weren't made well and are actually defective, as the dice are supposed to roll randomly.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    You've clearly got a set of dice that really want to do well. You have to show them that you're really grateful for what they do by thanking them every time they roll high. They will probably roll low soon, just to test you, but you can't get angry. Encourage them, and tell them that they'll do better the next time. It's very important that you make a good impression now, because the dice will remember it for as long as they exist.
    Trust a weak man to bow to his dice.

Conquer your dice. Make them cower in fear every time you draw them. When they are being particularly uncooperative, decimate them. Force the d10s to make the choice.

If there is one dice that is a leader among the rebels, scar him. Take a knife to his faces, and scratch ones over them. Then hang him in a place where the other dice can see the consequence of failure.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

This is only true if the dice a perfectly uniform. They are not. Not now, not ever. The only way I can think of to make a perfect die would be to mill them in the deep, dark recesses of space, where there is not gravitational influence on the material and can be tested with an eight point gyroscope.

Otherwise the die will favor a set of numbers. If you don't believe me, roll each of your dice 50 times and record the outcome. You'll get a bell-curve where the lightest side is.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is no such thing as lucky dice. One might believe that rolling 20s multiple times is lucky, but each time the chance of rolling a twenty is 1/20.
    Technically, rolling 20s n-times consecutively has a probability of (0.05)^n.
    Assuming the definition of lucky is "reaching a rare and fortuitous outcome", and that 20s are good, then rolling 20 multiple times is, indeed, lucky. While 20s are as rare as all other numbers, luck is defined by the positive effects of the outcome. Since 20s are generally defined by the gaming community to be a good outcome, a result of 20, is lucky.
    Sig'd

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post

Conquer your dice. Make them cower in fear every time you draw them. When they are being particularly uncooperative, decimate them. Force the d10s to make the choice.

If there is one dice that is a leader among the rebels, scar him. Take a knife to his faces, and scratch ones over them. Then hang him in a place where the other dice can see the consequence of failure.
    I heard about a guy suggesting the microwave treatment.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    I heard about a guy suggesting the microwave treatment.
    Only if the dice can see the treatment. The objective to to make your dice so afraid of ticking you off that they will go into the fetal position and cry if they come up as a one.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

21. - Top - End - #21

Pshaw. All this illogical banter and superstition. There is only one dice god...

THE DICE OF IMPROBABILITY!

Yeah. I have a dice that rolls 20's and 1's at only the most dramatically appropriate or inappropriate times... And I'm the GM. So yeah. It's led to some interesting scenarios to say the least.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

My friends, your all mistaken, the luck isn't in the dice, it is in you.......

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trizap View Post
    My friends, your all mistaken, the luck isn't in the dice, it is in you.......
    believe in the heart of the dice too!

Last edited by Random NPC; 2008-12-17 at 01:44 AM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post

Me, personally, I keep a large set of dice around. One low roll (a 1 or a 2 on a d6, d8, or d10, a 1,2,3,4 or 5 on a d20) gets them a warning. If they get a second warning (or if they're a d20 and they roll a failure on something I had greater than a 60% chance of success on) they go to the bench for the rest of the encounter, and are replaced by the next dice in line.

Except on initiative rolls... a single roll below a 10 on an initiative roll gets you automatically placed on the bench. That being said, it's been about five sessions since I've not placed a dice on the bench after rolling initiative.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

what you need to do for all these new dice is show them whose boss. take an old delinquent dice, lecture it in front of all the new dice, and then as punishment for rolling bad, execute it by smashing it with a hammer. that oughta put the fear of god into the rest of them, and make them obey you.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    This is only true if the dice a perfectly uniform. They are not. Not now, not ever. The only way I can think of to make a perfect die would be to mill them in the deep, dark recesses of space, where there is not gravitational influence on the material and can be tested with an eight point gyroscope.

Otherwise the die will favor a set of numbers. If you don't believe me, roll each of your dice 50 times and record the outcome. You'll get a bell-curve where the lightest side is.
    Even if this is true, the change in the average over time will be very slight, probably not even noticeable. If the dice was deformed enough to roll 20s every time, it would be very visibly deformed.

Except that everyone knows that dice follow their own twisted logic and fate. Regardless of what anyone else on this thread says, DO NOT let anyone else touch your dice! They'll steal all the luck.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

I think you ought not be too nice to your dice, lest they begin to think they can get away with ones and such mischief. But on the other hand, don't be overy cruel, otherwise they may mutiny, thinking its better to die free dice than to live as cowardly, forced 20's. I suggest you do this: treat them like they're in the army. Be stern. Be strong. Don't be a tyrant, but let them know who's boss and don't let them forget it for a second. If they fail, reprimand them, punish them, or even court-marshal them if it's serious enough. If they succeed, promote them and otherwise reward them. If normally awesome dice start to fail, give them an honorable discharge.

c'mon admit it: superstition CAN be fun!
    Last edited by Falconer; 2008-12-17 at 02:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    Technically, rolling 20s n-times consecutively has a probability of (0.05)^n.
    Assuming the definition of lucky is "reaching a rare and fortuitous outcome", and that 20s are good, then rolling 20 multiple times is, indeed, lucky. While 20s are as rare as all other numbers, luck is defined by the positive effects of the outcome. Since 20s are generally defined by the gaming community to be a good outcome, a result of 20, is lucky.
    Just out of curiosity, if I pull out a coin, show you the heads and tails of it, flip it 50 times and each time it comes up heads, are you willing to bet even money on tails against me for the next flip?

Assuming your answer is "no", how would you say this is different from your above argument (technically speaking)?

29. - Top - End - #29

You know.
    There's a guy I play warhammer with
    Good guy
    Nice guy
    Very smart guy
    He insists on this thing called "probability"
    He swears that each number on a die has an equal chance of being rolled
    then, he rolls a hand full of dice, and while he plays he rolls FAR less than he should mathematically

his mistake was saying it in front of the dice

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mroozee View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if I pull out a coin, show you the heads and tails of it, flip it 50 times and each time it comes up heads, are you willing to bet even money on tails against me for the next flip?

Assuming your answer is "no", how would you say this is different from your above argument (technically speaking)?
    I can get a coin to flip heads or tails at my leisure. It's a skill. People can get dice to roll a specific number every time.

Even if this is true, the change in the average over time will be very slight, probably not even noticeable. If the dice was deformed enough to roll 20s every time, it would be very visibly deformed.

Except that everyone knows that dice follow their own twisted logic and fate. Regardless of what anyone else on this thread says, DO NOT let anyone else touch your dice! They'll steal all the luck.
    Not really, All you do is with a good rag and "polish" all the sides except for the "1" side. Do this for about 250 hours (broken up as necessary). The die will look no different but will be more likely to roll 20's because you've changed the shape of a die.