New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Cuthalion's Creatively Created Cranny for Random Banter #192

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I love you. Honestly, I love how it seems like only we nords know how this thing works. It doesn't help that here in the UK they teach the kids that all the Nordic countries are Scandinavia. *facepalm*
    Huh. I'd been taught that Nordic = Scandinavian = Iceland, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, except for in terms of Geography in which case Iceland no longer counted.

...Granted, I was also taught that Finns aren't White or even technically Caucasian, so there's probably something wrong there.

Y'all can call me nordic/northener, though. Or just a fancy lil' Finn. *flutters eyelashes like a pretty lady*
    How do you feel about Northlander? And what do you mean *like,* eh? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    This is primarily the reason why there's no book on programming things like Android. The book would be out in stores three OS's later.
    Ah, the speed of development...

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    It is not a smiling face with bushy eyebrows, then. I have been misled!

I feel similarly toward the word "Asian." Many peoples encompass this region of the world, with cultural and language differences. Calling me "Asian" is hardly meaningful.

This post has me worried over my own language acquisition. What if the Russian I am learning is outdated? If I go to Russia and speak, will they mock me?
    All according to plan. 3:D

True. I imagine everyone is far more familiar with the regional cultural distinctions of where they live... I'm fairly familiar with American (and to a lesser degree, Canadian and European) cultures and such, but I can't say I know much (along those lines) about say, the Middle Earth East, or Asia.

...Also, now I'm confused as to where you live. I first thought it was in Thailand, then you mentioned East Coast, which made me think eastern US, but now I'm second-guessing myself again. (third-guessing?). *narrows eyes*

I promise you, your Russian is better than mine.
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Huh. I'd been taught that Nordic = Scandinavian = Iceland, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, except for in terms of Geography in which case Iceland no longer counted.

...Granted, I was also taught that Finns aren't White or even technically Caucasian, so there's probably something wrong there.

How do you feel about Northlander? And what do you mean *like,* eh? :P
    I've been taught almost nothing about geography! FIGURING OUT MYSELF WAS FUN.

... Why the hell did... whoever taught you care about race so much?

I second this. And by "this", I mean both statements.

@Amidus: I assumed 'Murican, because posting time seems to coincide nearly enough. I thought West coast, though.

And at TL's actual statement, I find "asian" generally refers to anything east of India, south of Russia. It's about as accurate at describing culture as Latin American culture is at... Describing Latin American culture.xD
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-05-05 at 09:03 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    All according to plan. 3:D

True. I imagine everyone is far more familiar with the regional cultural distinctions of where they live... I'm fairly familiar with American (and to a lesser degree, Canadian and European) cultures and such, but I can't say I know much (along those lines) about say, the Middle Earth East, or Asia.
    Ah. My American, Canadian, and European cultural knowledge is lacking, unfortunately.
    ...Also, now I'm confused as to where you live. I first thought it was in Thailand, then you mentioned East Coast, which made me think eastern US, but now I'm second-guessing myself again. (third-guessing?). *narrows eyes*
    Pf ha ha ha! Why would you think that? I've never even been to Thailand! As Dudebro Ship has stated, I reside in the United States of America.
    I promise you, your Russian is better than mine.
    Doubtful. My Russian is really pitiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I've been taught almost nothing about geography! FIGURING OUT MYSELF WAS FUN.
    Yay!
    And at TL's actual statement, I find "asian" generally refers to anything east of India, south of Russia. It's about as accurate at describing culture as Latin American culture is at... Describing Latin American culture.xD
    Personally, if I am referring to the region, I just call it Eurasia for ease of use.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

@Amidus: I assumed 'Murican, because posting time seems to coincide nearly enough. I thought West coast, though.

Well, Latin American culture is fairly homogeneous. It's just that the immigrant groups staunchly refuse to adopt local culture. But in general the locals customs are fairly uniform across the region and the immigrants resemble the culture from their origin country around the 1900s and 1850s.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. My American, Canadian, and European cultural knowledge is lacking, unfortunately.

Pf ha ha ha! Why would you think that? I've never even been to Thailand! As Dudebro Ship has stated, I reside in the United States of America.

Doubtful. My Russian is really pitiful.
    Hehehe
    Stop tormenting the guy, man.
    You ruin all my fun.

...How would you not know much in the line of American cultural things, if you live here?

You know, I'm not really sure when or how I came to that conclusion, but there we go. I'm just going to point the blame at my Wis score of 6 and try to remember this.

If you know more than two words in Russian, yours is better than mine.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Da, Niet, Kafeshka, tufta, torgash, jarmarka zhizni, cabbage!

You probably know at least four.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-05-05 at 09:28 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Hehehe
    Stop tormenting the guy, man.
    You ruin all my fun.
    Ah. We meet again, Amidus Drexel's splintered personality. Have have you all been?
    ...How would you not know much in the line of American cultural things, if you live here?
    Well, it never really interested me - much of my American knowledge comes from school educators; I've never researched it myself.

Perhaps our definitions of 'a lot' and 'a little' are different.
    You know, I'm not really sure when or how I came to that conclusion, but there we go. I'm just going to point the blame at my Wis score of 6 and try to remember this.

Ah, I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post

Hm. I understand the first two, but not the rest. Perhaps if it were in the Cyrillic alphabet instead of those transliterations...

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. I understand the first two, but not the rest. Perhaps if it were in the Cyrillic alphabet instead of those transliterations...
    Кафешка, туфта, торгаш, ярмарка жизни?
    Cafe, specious reasoning, Merchant, World Market.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

I know two; three if cabbage translates to cabbage.

Interesting... I've always seen it spelled Nyet when written in this alphabet.

Ah. We meet again, Amidus Drexel's splintered personality. Have have you all been?

Well, it never really interested me - much of my American knowledge comes from school educators; I've never researched it myself.

Perhaps our definitions of 'a lot' and 'a little' are different.

Ah, I see.
    Awesome.
    Amidus ****ed up and had to retype this whole post, but otherwise damn fine.
    I've committed several petty acts of spite of which I'm proud, so not bad.
    Cynical, as usual. Way to go with the whole copy/paste thing, Amidus.
    *hides*
    Amidus hasn't killed anyone, so I guess that's a good thing. I haven't been kicked out yet.
    Totally not pretty cool.
    Invisible. Also, you stuttered your haves, there.

Hrm... I suppose having grown up in a place that made a big deal out of culture and history (I'm pretty sure some people here are still fighting the civil war in their heads. ) gives me a bit more knowledge on the topic, but I would expect your average American to know at least the different accents and stereotypes of different regions in the US...

Quite possible.

Yeah, I only know the words for yes and no.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

I know two; three if cabbage translates to cabbage.

Interesting... I've always seen it spelled Nyet when written in this alphabet.
    Nyet kinda should be Net; kinda...
    And yes it should be a "y".

As for cabbage... nope, cabbage is not in Russian it's just randomly there.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Кафешка, туфта, торгаш, ярмарка жизни?
    Cafe, specious reasoning, Merchant, World Market.
    I only knew the first one, which displays my lack of Russian knowledge.
    Awesome.
    Amidus ****ed up and had to retype this whole post, but otherwise damn fine.
    I've committed several petty acts of spite of which I'm proud, so not bad.
    Cynical, as usual. Way to go with the whole copy/paste thing, Amidus.
    *hides*
    Amidus hasn't killed anyone, so I guess that's a good thing. I haven't been kicked out yet.
    Totally not pretty cool.
    Invisible. Also, you stuttered your haves, there.
    Excellent, excellent! So, what are your favourite types of tea?
    Hrm... I suppose having grown up in a place that made a big deal out of culture and history (I'm pretty sure some people here are still fighting the civil war in their heads. ) gives me a bit more knowledge on the topic, but I would expect your average American to know at least the different accents and stereotypes of different regions in the US...
    Well, I know that there's a Southern accent and a New York accent. Is that enough?
    Yeah, I only know the words for yes and no.
    I see. Well, your knowledge of any other language will surely blow mine away. I've taken classes in Spanish, Italian, and Latin, and I only remember trace bits.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

Nyet kinda should be Net; kinda...
    And yes it should be a "y".

As for cabbage... nope, cabbage is not in Russian it's just randomly there.
    I think the cyrillic character vaguely resembles an H or a K...

Excellent, excellent! So, what are your favourite types of tea?

Well, I know that there's a Southern accent and a New York accent. Is that enough?

I see. Well, your knowledge of any other language will surely blow mine away. I've taken classes in Spanish, Italian, and Latin, and I only remember trace bits.
    ...Sassafras, as it's the only tea I like. I haven't had any in quite a while, actually.

Well, do you know what cajun food is? Are you familiar with any new jersey stereotypes? What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say "out west"?

My English is pretty good.

Eh, I'm fluent in English, and I know enough French to read it without much trouble; I'm far enough out of practice that I can't speak or understand it with the same degree of proficiency... I know a smattering of Spanish, Latin, German and Russian words (just a handful of each, really; even less in some cases), and I read phonetically well enough to parse Middle English without too much difficulty. I don't think my language skills would blow anyone away...

Take someone like August or Teddy, though; they can write (and I would assume speak, too) at least two languages with a high degree of proficiency, and both of them have significant knowledge of other languages (German comes to mind, and August just posted a handful of words in Russian (and I know he knows some Latin)).
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

... Why the hell did... whoever taught you care about race so much?
    Well, I am a product of my environment. I might be misremembering a throwaway comment from a discussion about Finnish being completely unrelated to the Indo-European family of languages as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

I think the cyrillic character vaguely resembles an H or a K...
    Yes, the word is нет.
    ...Sassafras, as it's the only tea I like. I haven't had any in quite a while, actually.
    Now that I think about it, I have not drank tea in a while, either.
    Well, do you know what cajun food is? Are you familiar with any new jersey stereotypes? What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say "out west"?
    In order: no, no, and Texas.
    My English is pretty good.
    Of course!
    Eh, I'm fluent in English, and I know enough French to read it without much trouble; I'm far enough out of practice that I can't speak or understand it with the same degree of proficiency... I know a smattering of Spanish, Latin, German and Russian words (just a handful of each, really; even less in some cases), and I read phonetically well enough to parse Middle English without too much difficulty. I don't think my language skills would blow anyone away...
    I have no experience with the French language. Your ability to read that blows me quite a far distance.
    Take someone like August or Teddy, though; they can write (and I would assume speak, too) at least two languages with a high degree of proficiency, and both of them have significant knowledge of other languages (German comes to mind, and August just posted a handful of words in Russian (and I know he knows some Latin)).
    Oh, very impressive! I have been blown around the world!

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

He has a point, though. To have a meaningful conversation, you have to have meaningful answers to statements and questions; responding to everything with 3:) or potato (or a good deal of other things, for that matter) doesn't accomplish anything.

And I enjoyed the logic notation.
    Well, we weren't discussing the concept of meaningful conversation.

I didn't. I was tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, mine was only a reflection on the longevity of nuclear fallout, so there's that...
    The contentiousness derives from where the nuclear fallout originated from. It's best not to risk it.

I actually haven't; check google searches, I haven't mentioned the term pony, ponies or equine or MLPFM at all except this one time.
    You didn't have to. You've made your opinion quite clear in the past.

Invasion, when talking about trends, has no negative connotation at all and is a perfectly acceptable manner of speech.

Looking for invasion of any trend will yield you a myriad of news article most of which won't have any negative spin on the spread.
    Unfortunately for you, you assume that everyone does things the same way. I am Australian, to us, invasion is a negative word. It is not acceptable to describe something harmless as an invasion, invasive or other variation.

Propositional Logic is not obfuscating math, it's formalising what is being said in an orderly manner. And I've already said and accepted that if any statement can be an answer than an emoticon even if completely unrelated to the question will also be an answer. In which case saying the last isn't saying anything new or interesting. While postulating that emoticons can be a meaningful answer would be much more interesting because it doesn't trivially come from that expectancy.
    It's obfuscating when not required and someone happens to be tired. I'd have preferred you used words other than symbols.
    Then if you agree with me, then why are you continuing?
    Never mind. I don't care, I am too tired for this.

I love you. Honestly, I love how it seems like only we nords know how this thing works. It doesn't help that here in the UK they teach the kids that all the Nordic countries are Scandinavia. *facepalm*

Y'all can call me nordic/northener, though. Or just a fancy lil' Finn. *flutters eyelashes like a pretty lady*
    I knew that, it just never came up.

Unfortunately... Northerner is far too vague. After all, most country's have a North.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    You misuse polio!? :smallgasp:

Good thing I'm inoculated...
    You know... I really have no idea if I've been vaccinated against polio... I haven't contracted it, but that's hardly an indication one's been vaccinated. After all, I've never been vaccinated against rabies, and I've never had that. But that hardly counts because we don't have rabies in Australia.

It is not a smiling face with bushy eyebrows, then. I have been misled!
    That's perfectly alright. That was simply how I interpreted it.

But I thought you were from China! Or you still are from China but do not live there... Damn immigration... It makes these things so much more complicated...

I know three. Do I get an award?

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, I am a product of my environment. I might be misremembering a throwaway comment from a discussion about Finnish being completely unrelated to the Indo-European family of languages as well.
    You are. It's not an Indo-European language.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    This information was unknown to me.
    Unfortunately for you, you assume that everyone does things the same way. I am Australian, to us, invasion is a negative word. It is not acceptable to describe something harmless as an invasion, invasive or other variation.
    If I may ask: how so?
    But I thought you were from China! Or you still are from China but do not live there... Damn immigration... It makes these things so much more complicated...
    Oh, definitely. Passports and citizenships, oh my!
    Of course!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunately... Northerner is far too vague. After all, most country's have a North.

You know... I really have no idea if I've been vaccinated against polio... I haven't contracted it, but that's hardly an indication one's been vaccinated. After all, I've never been vaccinated against rabies, and I've never had that. But that hardly counts because we don't have rabies in Australia.
    True. But not having to doesn't mean he can't. Of course, doesn't mean you can't lodge a complaint against his complaint, but then... *circular logic train, all aboard!*

It is a word with rather negative connotations, yes. I have heard it used in reference to immigration, for example, and... Yeah. Totally not a positive usage.

Heh. Not all have an Outback, /for some reason was gonna put a Canadian "Eh" here

You have bigger worries than what happens after you deal with your weekly Random Encounter with nature's finest.

That's perfectly alright. That was simply how I interpreted it.

You are. It's not an Indo-European language.
    I just had no idea what it was.

.... You Australians, considering your amount of immigration, are clueless, aren't you? You can generally say "Are from *country of origin*", because the usual phrasing is "you're from *blahlandia*", but it doesn't really matter. Though goodness...

Yay!

It's a halfbreed halfbreed!
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly enough my search also manages to throw off articles from Australian sites which use the word with a non-negative connotation.

And in any case, context that I'm not Australian and come from a place where invasion isn't a negative word should make it rather plausible that the word was not being used with negative connotation. As was repeatedly pointed out before; several times. And yet for some reason you are claiming it is inflaming even when I've already pointed out it need not be and in the case I used it I had no intention of doing so.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-05-06 at 12:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

True. But not having to doesn't mean he can't. Of course, doesn't mean you can't lodge a complaint against his complaint, but then... *circular logic train, all aboard!*
    Do we have to pay for the tickets?

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

Oddly enough my search also manages to throw off articles from Australian sites which use the word with a non-negative connotation.

And in any case, context that I'm not Australian and come from a place where invasion isn't a negative word should make it rather plausible that the word was not being used with negative connotation if. As was repeatedly pointed out before; several times.
    Entirely true, but the word is used much more often negatively than in a nuetral manner. "Invasive species", for example, is a nice scientific term for "Oh god these bees actually STING oh god why, the one thing Australia didn't have." "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", bad Sci Fi stereotype, the usual context of military invasions...

@Tai: Entirely free, because it doesn't exist in the physical plane, which is why it's free, due to not...
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-05-06 at 12:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Entirely true, but the word is used much more often negatively than in a nuetral manner. "Invasive species", for example, is a nice scientific term for "Oh god these bees actually STING oh god why, the one thing Australia didn't have." "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", bad Sci Fi stereotype, the usual context of military invasions...
    Hm. That's usually not my experience, but I suppose I do have odd experiences.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. That's usually not my experience, but I suppose I do have odd experiences.
    I'll quote Phantom Menace at you! /A comm block could mean only one thing... Invasion!
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

I'll quote Phantom Menace at you! /A comm block could mean only one thing... Invasion!
    Hm. To a communist, would that not have a positive connotation? That quote is very subjective.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. To a communist, would that not have a positive connotation? That quote is very subjective.
    He butchered the original quote.

"A communications disruption can mean only one thing; invasion."

Though considering the movie it happened in... butchering is perhaps too severe; perhaps it could even be called a partial improvement in terms of the general script.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-05-06 at 12:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry for not remembering something that came out when I was three... Or less. It was Bubble saying comm block means invasion, then Portman said her robo-lines and off we went to talking!

@V Yes, the Phantom Menace is a bad mov-[Font=Annoying Spawn of Doom}Now this is pod racing![/Font]
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-05-06 at 12:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

He butchered the original quote.

"A communications disruption can mean only one thing; invasion."

Though considering the movie it happened in... butchering is perhaps too severe; perhaps it could even be called a partial improvement in terms of the general script.
    Ah. Is it a bad movie?

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. Is it a bad movie?
    You know what, just Lookit this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry for not remembering something that came out when I was three... Or less. It was Bubble saying comm block means invasion, then Portman said her robo-lines and off we went to talking!

@V Yes, the Phantom Menace is a bad mov-[Font=Annoying Spawn of Doom}Now this is pod racing![/Font]
    Yesterday was May the 4th.

You were supposed to watch all the movies in chronological order and make a Mickey in Luke costume effigy while praising "A New New Hope"
    Ah. Is it a bad movie?
    Yes and no. It's entertaining, but it's not a good movie, there are a lot of incongruous just plain dumb-ish stuff and there is Jar-Jar.