New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: 7d6 damage/level? No save??

Quote Originally Posted by angry_bear View Post
    Unless you put it onto something that is capable of holding it, but can be brought down fairly easy. Technically it's still supporting the weight.

Although I still don't see this working. Just that, you probably can build the right platform, able to hold the blocks, and still be used as an effective trap.
    As long as some secondary/external action is needed to bring it down I'm okay with that. But if it collapses on its own, it was never "capable of supporting it" to begin with.

So if you summon/create the object on a balcony and then use lightning bolt or Mountain Hammer to shatter the balcony that is fine. If the balcony collapses simply due to the weight of the object - not fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As long as some secondary/external action is needed to bring it down I'm okay with that. But if it collapses on its own, it was never "capable of supporting it" to begin with.

So if you summon/create the object on a balcony and then use lightning bolt or Mountain Hammer to shatter the balcony that is fine. If the balcony collapses simply due to the weight of the object - not fine.
    So what happens if you summon a celestial monkey and it is caught off guard so that it falls down? It could not support itself so does that mean the spell fails? It collapsed on its self.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    So what happens if you summon a celestial monkey and it is caught off guard so that it falls down? It could not support itself so does that mean the spell fails? It collapsed on its self.
    1) The rules say that the surface has to support the thing you're conjuring, not the thing itself.

2) Where are the rules for "catching something off guard so that it falls down?"
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

1) The rules say that the surface has to support the thing you're conjuring, not the thing itself.

2) Where are the rules for "catching something off guard so that it falls down?"
    As I have been saying this is about summoning something that can not support itself...it has nothing to do with the surface (you were the one who said that if it collapses then the ground was not stable enough for it). There are no specific rules for it but what if the monkey collapses itself perhaps from grease or it being icy or even just lazy.

5. - Top - End - #35

As I have been saying this is about summoning something that can not support itself...it has nothing to do with the surface (you were the one who said that if it collapses then the ground was not stable enough for it). There are no specific rules for it but what if the monkey collapses itself perhaps from grease or it being icy or even just lazy.
    The OP was talking about summoning a solid osmium block from what I can see.

Summoning a creature on ice would not cause it to fall immediately - it would only have to make a Balance check if it moves. So it comes into existence properly supported, with the falling etc. only happening later.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Does the description of the Conjuration school kill those stupid orbs?
    They are instantaneous creation, therefore non-magical once created, and yet are created in mid-air. Which means the spell fails.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldizog View Post
    They are instantaneous creation, therefore non-magical once created, and yet are created in mid-air.
    No, they seem to be created in your palm. Then they shoot out at an enemy. Also, whether that rule applies would depend on whether the orbs created are objects in the D&D sense.

Plus, y'know, specific trumps general and all that.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-09-23 at 09:43 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Aldizog View Post
    They are instantaneous creation, therefore non-magical once created, and yet are created in mid-air. Which means the spell fails.
    As Karnith correctly stated they form in your palm and only then go to "mid-air."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ouch I see I was late:

Sure the surface can support it...the item just can't support itself. The ground underneath it isn't collapsing or shifting and therefore it is stable enough to support the object.
    Basically that's my suggestion. Use surface that totally can support the object, just make the object unable to support itself.

10. - Top - End - #40

Creating something that has the necessary built-in flaw in just the right place that it will fall in exactly the way you want would require one heck of a Craft (and possibly architecture/engineering) check to pull off.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Creating something that has the necessary built-in flaw in just the right place that it will fall in exactly the way you want would require one heck of a Craft (and possibly architecture/engineering) check to pull off.
    Creating big cube "supported" by a hair-thin "pillar" is that difficult? Seeing as all skills you named are INT-based shouldn't be a problem

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What's the craft check for thin gauge wire? That's all you would really need.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

Not...necessarily. "I create a block over his head, held up by four legs that are solid enough at the bottom, but which narrow to hair-fine thickness at the height of his head." At best, that's K:Architecture and Engineering or Craft:rickety objects DC 5.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Osmium would be just fine, just have it next to your target instead of on top. Just make sure it is currently in a plasma state though.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Osmium would be just fine, just have it next to your target instead of on top. Just make sure it is currently in a plasma state though.
    you want to commit suicide?
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That is beginning to look like a lot of efforts for something that will do 7d6 damage on a failed DC 15 reflex save.
    Last edited by Macros; 2013-09-23 at 10:39 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

A thing that's a solid block of osmium with a hair-thin leg can't be supported by the ground. It could, however, be supported in an appropriately-shaped cradle. So if you happen to have such a cradle available, you can summon your deathtrap into it... But then, by definition, it's supported, and doesn't fall.

You can create something that's just barely supported, but then you'd need to take a separate action to knock it down. And getting exactly the amount of "just barely" you want might require a skill check or two.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A thing that's a solid block of osmium with a hair-thin leg can't be supported by the ground. It could, however, be supported in an appropriately-shaped cradle. So if you happen to have such a cradle available, you can summon your deathtrap into it... But then, by definition, it's supported, and doesn't fall.

You can create something that's just barely supported, but then you'd need to take a separate action to knock it down. And getting exactly the amount of "just barely" you want might require a skill check or two.
    Sounds like two castings.
    1) Create ice cradle over the bad guys on turn 1. Rest of party does the wall thing to keep targets under cradle.
    2) Create HOT Metal on cradle. Cradle holds, but starts melting immediatly.

Having seen how quickly hot metal can go through ice, the cradle would hold, but only for a few seconds.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Creating big cube "supported" by a hair-thin "pillar" is that difficult? Seeing as all skills you named are INT-based shouldn't be a problem
    Is it? Since such an object doesn't actually exist the DM would set the DC, and ditto for the engineering check.

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    That is beginning to look like a lot of efforts for something that will do 7d6 damage on a failed DC 15 reflex save.
    Tell me about it

Sounds like two castings.
    1) Create ice cradle over the bad guys on turn 1. Rest of party does the wall thing to keep targets under cradle.
    2) Create HOT Metal on cradle. Cradle holds, but starts melting immediatly.

Having seen how quickly hot metal can go through ice, the cradle would hold, but only for a few seconds.
    Can you control the temperature of things you create though? This sounds like a "the rules don't say I can't!" moment.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Psyren,
    If you can't have at least a limited amount of control over temprature you can't get both ice and water. IIRC, there is a WOTC adventure with ice being used by a creation spell (other than wall of ice) to make part of the adventure while the surrounding area is water.

21. - Top - End - #51

Ice is naturally cold though. So it seems to me that you can summon something with the normal temperature for its given state, but not summon "hot metal/cold metal."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    7d6/CL

Is it? Since such an object doesn't actually exist the DM would set the DC, and ditto for the engineering check.
    Technically you're correct so... ok. But I wouldn't expect any DM to set high DC for one-legged cube.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A thing that's a solid block of osmium with a hair-thin leg can't be supported by the ground.
    But it can be and is. "Unfortunately," it can't support ITSELF. But the ground supports it just fine. That it breaks and assumes a new shape under its own weight is its own fault.

Though honestly, this seems like a lot of work when you can get similar effects from spells designed to do this kind of damage. Besides, you're a wizard: all about the prep. Prepare this ahead of time so you can unleash it at leisure. I believe Shrink Item is a popular method.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Psyren
    Then summon hydrogen in its natural state. Most hydrogen in the universe is either running around 3 Kelvin or a couple hundred thousand Kelvin. Either way you should either freeze the room solid or reduce the target to a gas.

Unfortunatly D&D and reality have never been on good speaking terms, so I don't think either would work well in game.

In reality I'm taking this tread as very light hearted. As a 7th level spell, why not just take limited WISH? This avoids a lot of the issues.

25. - Top - End - #55

Psyren
    Then summon hydrogen in its natural state. Most hydrogen in the universe is either running around 3 Kelvin or a couple hundred thousand Kelvin. Either way you should either freeze the room solid or reduce the target to a gas.
    Hydrogen is neither mineral, vegetable nor metal so it's out. And at least for the latter, there's no surface capable of supporting a star anyway.

You also run into the thorny issue of whether gases and liquids count as "objects," what sort of craft check would be required to create liquid hydrogen etc.

In reality I'm taking this tread as very light hearted.
    I am too. Some people have fun coming up with absurdities like this, and other people have fun poking holes in the creations of the first group. Both are pretty light-hearted approaches, imo.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #56

Hydrogen is neither mineral, vegetable nor metal so it's out.
    *cough* Technically, it's a mineral. Everything is mineral if it's not animal or vegetable. Metals are minerals.
    You also run into the thorny issue of whether gases and liquids count as "objects," what sort of craft check would be required to create liquid hydrogen etc.
    Indeed; can you create liquids with the spell at all?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by anacalgion View Post
    Yeesh. Now I feel dumb for posting anything. My bad
    Not your fault, you didn't realize what a can of worms you were re-opening.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    *cough* Technically, it's a mineral. Everything is mineral if it's not animal or vegetable. Metals are minerals.
    Metals are, but I would say nonmetal gases and liquids (at the very least, elements that naturally occur in those forms) are not.

And if the definition is indeed up in the air, we've run into yet another DM call.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hydrogen is neither mineral, vegetable nor metal so it's out.
    Hydrogen can indeed be a metal.

Grayed to protect cat-girls. Not for campaign consumption.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2013-09-23 at 11:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Psyren,

then get Metallic hydrogen! This has the advantage of only occuring under great pressure, so it should immediatly explode upon being brought into a low pressure atmosphere!

NOTE: Trying to match reality with what D&D tries to supply gives you some totally abusable concepts. I'll admit, I can't begin to figure out how much damage 1400lbs of metalic Hydrogen would do when it expands, but I'm betting it would be more than 7d6/lvl. Plus then it would react with the oxygen in the atmosphere.