New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Can we guess anything about what Miron's dodge effect in panel 4 is representing?
    That doesn't look like anything more than a successful save dodging V's ranged touch attack

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Can we guess anything about what Miron's dodge effect in panel 4 is representing?
    When the Giant described the Order's second fight with Miko he mentioned that V had "no real attack bonus on rays". V misses with disintegrate about as often as she hits even when not trance-deprived. In this particular case she was making a ranged attack into melee, and taking the requisite -4 penalty to her roll. I see no reason to read anything into the scene other than V simply rolling low.

EDIT: ninja'd.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-11-04 at 07:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Durkon doesn't have a pained expression, but he does have a shocked one (the same as Belkar, in fact, except that his mouth isn't open). Given his notable lack of reaction to most things since being vamped, I'd take that as strong evidence he was also affected.

I don't think that gives us anything definitive. It could be as simple as V failing to succeed on a touch attack with Disintegrate. It's assumed, after all, that even with AC 10 people are actively trying to dodge attacks.

ARRRRRRRGHHH DOUBLED NINJA'D
    Last edited by Emanick; 2013-11-04 at 07:54 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I figured as much, but we usually see that represented with a "miss" unsound effect, not the target dodging.

Incidentally, I think we can now peg Miron as an arcane caster (I'm guessing sorcerer, but still no proof on that) at level 15+.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-11-04 at 08:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    On Miron, all we can say for sure is that he has some sort of teleportation power. It could be Teleport, or it could be something like Dimension Door maximum range straight up (a common Contingency choice).
    People seriously do that? I've spent far more time in 1st and 2nd ed than the more modern flavors of D&D, but setting than up seems to be asking, if not begging, to get kicked when you're down.
    Last edited by runeghost; 2013-11-04 at 08:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is there any reason to think Laurin's attack isn't a massively augmented Inflict Pain? It can be augmented to hit multiple targets, but all targets need to be within 15 feet of another target, nicely explaining the need to hit Tarquin. It's a debuff, not damage, so it won't kill Belkar (or risk killing Elan or Haley).
    Last edited by runeghost; 2013-11-04 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Is there any reason to think Laurin's attack isn't a massively augmented Inflict Pain? It can be augmented to hit multiple targets, but all targets need to be within 15 feet of another target, nicely explaining the need to hit Tarquin. It's a debuff, not damage, so it won't kill Belkar (or risk killing Elan or Haley).
    I don't think the Order would react that strongly to a -4 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks. It looks more like a mass paralysis effect to me.

But of course, all bets are off until 929 comes out.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I don't think the Order would react that strongly to a -4 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks. It looks more like a mass paralysis effect to me.

Someone in the main thread suggested Mental Disruption. That one makes the most sense, but its the only mass "paralysis"-like ability I saw that is 360 degrees.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2013-11-04 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post

Speaking as the one who suggested Mental Disruption, Inflict Pain seems like the best fit so far. It doesn't cause damage, but it still makes the targets feel like they're getting hurt, thus the expressions on everybody's faces (and Tarquin, who knows the strategy, would be ready for it). It also explains the effect chaining from Tarquin to Durkon, because each target has to be no more than 15 feet from either the caster or another target.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

How's this:

Energy Burst
    Psychokinesis [see text]
    Level: Psion/wilder 3
    Display: Auditory
    Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 40 ft.
    Area: 40-ft-radius burst centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half or Fortitude half; see text
    Power Resistance: Yes
    Power Points: 5
    Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create an explosion of unstable ectoplasmic energy of the chosen type that deals 5d6 points of damage to every creature or object within the area. The explosion creates almost no pressure. Since this power extends outward from you, you are not affected by the damage.

Cold
    A burst of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold burst is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.

Electricity
    Manifesting a burst of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.

Fire
    A burst of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.

Sonic
    A burst of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.

This power’s subtype is the same as the type of energy you manifest.

Augment
    For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6). For each extra two dice of damage, this power’s save DC increases by 1.
    A Reflex save allows Belkar to live if he makes it with Evasion. It targets everone within an area, thus having the chance to get Tarquin (who is unconcerned because of feats/magic items/whatever). It can be augmented to include lots and lots of d6s.

What doesn't fit:

The possible chaining effect seen.
    The pained expression on Laurin.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-11-04 at 10:07 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    How's this:

Energy Burst...

What doesn't fit:

The possible chaining effect seen.
    The pained expression on Laurin.
    Unlikely, at best - the Energy-Whatsit powers are psionics' versions of Fireball/Lightning Bolt/Meteor Swarm/etc, and we've seen those kinds of blasty abilities plenty of times in the comic already. Whatever Laurin used doesn't look anything like that. The art suggests that what is going on here is a targeted effect, not an indiscriminate area like a Burst would be (again, compare to various Fireballs and other spells that cover a swath of panel regardless of whether there is anything to hit there), and having it go straight from Laurin's head to the target's heads and nowhere else implies a mind-affecting power. At least to me.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking through the SRD's power list, I see only three Psionic Powers that heal your own hit point damage, and two of them are Psychic Warrior vampiric buffs for your weapons. I think we can safely conclude Laurin has Body Adjustment, unless she decided to attack Miron.

Mental Disruption looks like a good fit: Easily augmentable to enhance range and save DC, it can also spare certain creatures its effects, hence why Tarquin was left alone. Also since it's an area of effect power, it explains those stray bolts of psionic power. However I haven't finished my read through of the power list, so I'm planning on waiting until either I finish or someone comes up with an even better fit.

I don't think it's Energy Burst. When Laurin disintegrated Nale, the only psionic display was around her head as the green beam sprang forth, whereas when she used that power on Haley, the display reached all the way to her. I think Energy Burst would be demonstrated with a display around Laurin's head, follower by fire/lightning/what have you.

Meanwhile Miron is definitely level 15 with the revelation of Horrid Wilting in his repertoire, and arcane with his Contingency, but it's still up in the air whether he's a wizard or a sorcerer. Unfortunately it may be we never get to find out now he's left the battlefield.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2013-11-05 at 12:34 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Mental Disruption looks like a good fit: Easily augmentable to enhance range and save DC, it can also spare certain creatures its effects, hence why Tarquin was left alone. Also since it's an area of effect power, it explains those stray bolts of psionic power. However I haven't finished my read through of the power list, so I'm planning on waiting until either I finish or someone comes up with an even better fit.
    I see no reason to make a call now, since we'll almost certainly get more details next strip.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, this is probably nonsense, but... up until this last strip, I thought Miron was sporting some kind of light cloth, all beduin-like. But V called it a scarf, and that paired with the spell he attempted made me wonder if he could be a necromancer or some related prestige class. Who wears a scarf in a desert? Someone whose body has started to go cold, maybe.

I do not know much about D&D, but I was curious enough about the idea to ask here... I dunno, those seem the kind of hints the Giant would use.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    Although if he could cast that Teleport, why did Laurin need to open a Wormhole?
    To take the dinosaur, Tarquin, and Laurin, he'd need to be 18th level; maybe he's not quite that high-level (though personally I find it unlikely). Or, more plausibly, he didn't prepare enough teleport spells to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Which means the spell his contingency activated was almost certainly teleport. Does that in turn mean that Miron knows teleport? Does your contingent spell have to be a spell you know?
    It does, but it could theoretically be greater teleport too.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2013-11-05 at 01:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    It does, but it could theoretically be greater teleport too.
    Not unless greater teleport stopped being a level 7 spell. Contingency can only activate spells of level 6 or lower, and can only activate spells that strong if the caster is level 18 or higher.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Not unless greater teleport stopped being a level 7 spell. Contingency can only activate spells of level 6 or lower, and can only activate spells that strong if the caster is level 18 or higher.
    Okay, yeah. It's definitely teleport then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm really rusty on some of my 3.5 foo having not played in years, but does 928 show that Belkar has Spring Attack? Or could he have pulled off that maneuver without it? Say with some sort of Tumble shenanigan?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-11-05 at 01:34 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given that Psionic Greater Teleport is lvl 8, I think unless there is evidence of at least one restriction for Wormhole that does not apply to Psionic Greater Teleport, we should assume lvl 8 for it as a minimum.

I agree that Inflict Pain is an excellent candidate for Laurin's attack power in 928. The chaining fits, the targeting of Tarquin, and if you look carefully at Durkon, he is surprised, but his mouth-shape is not noticeably altered - there's no evidence he is suffering from it, which would be consistent with his immunity to mind-affecting powers. There's no lightning or fire or anything on any of the people affected, suggesting that there's no elemental damage - particularly considering the art for the prismatic spray in 927.

Miron has eaten a lot of damage here, with no visible healing - any chance we can establish a baseline CON bonus?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post

Miron has eaten a lot of damage here, with no visible healing - any chance we can establish a baseline CON bonus?

He probably has damage reduction from his stuff, and possibly Toughness. Not a bad choice for a squishy caster who doesn't have a lot of long-range spells

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matt620 View Post
    He probably has damage reduction from his stuff, and possibly Toughness. Not a bad choice for a squishy caster who doesn't have a lot of long-range spells
    Toughness is always a bad choice. It's kind of the go-to example of a horribly underpowered feat. I'm not saying he didn't take it, given the Giant's statements about optimization, but I don't think we should put it in the running for anything unless it's explicitly mentioned.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, why are people saying that Tarquin has immunity to mind-effecting? I don't think we've seen any evidence of that, and the only item I know of that grants it sits prominently in the middle of the forehead, where we would have noticed it.

I agree with Porthos that Belkar has Spring Attack. He also appears to be tumbling in those panels, but tumbling won't let you move both before and after you attack, and he definitely appears to have moved afterward (he's nowhere near him when Haley pegs him).

Even more interesting is the fact that, even with movement, he still got at least two attacks in (one with each dagger). Anyone have an explanation for that? I don't think any Pounce ability would work here, since those only work on a charge, and I don't think you can combine a charge with a Spring Attack.

Oh, and we have enough information to list Miron. We don't know whether he's a wizard or a sorcerer (I'd guess wizard, since a sorcerer is unlikely to carry Contingency, but that's only a guess), but we do have a decent number of spells for him, and a minimum level high enough to be at least somewhat meaningful.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Point of order concerning Sorcerers and Contingency: Xykon has it.

I'd still prefer to see if anything shakes loose concerning Miron before making a final commitment. At this level of knowledge he's either Wizard 15 or Sorceror 16, with an Intelligence or Charisma of 18. That feels a bit vague to me, but I may be mistaken.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Would Xykon's hypnotizing of the MiTD in SOD,count as usage of it?.

Also, how much damage is Haley dealing with her arrows, if we take the icy burst effect into account?. And is the "frozen in ice" effect only available on critical hits, as it hasn't seen use since she took on the thieves guild?.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The block of ice (2d10 ice damage) only shows up on critical hits. The rest of the time she's dealing 1d6 base damage + 1d6 frost damage + 5 magic damage + Dex modifier. So, in summary, ow.
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-11-05 at 09:12 AM.
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually in D&D 3.5 you don't add Dex modifier to the damage of weapons like bows.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuro View Post
    Would Xykon's hypnotizing of the MiTD in SOD,count as usage of it?.

Also, how much damage is Haley dealing with her arrows, if we take the icy burst effect into account?. And is the "frozen in ice" effect only available on critical hits, as it hasn't seen use since she took on the thieves guild?.
    1d8 +1d6 cold damage (+8d6 Sneak Attack) +5 enhancement.

A critical hit with her bow triples the 1d8+5 part and adds another 2d10 cold damage.
    - The Flying Kipper

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually in D&D 3.5 you don't add Dex modifier to the damage of weapons like bows.
    This is what I get for trying to keep three different systems straight in my head.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Laurin could have been using True metabolism

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...Metabolism.htm

and wasn't complaining about having time to use her power, but having time to regenerate.

I believe Laurin's last power is Ultrablast

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ultrablast.htm

which nicely explains why she appears to be letting out a silent shriek of horror and some of the Order covering their ears.

(It's possible that as a joke Laurin's healing line could be the "psionic grumbling" which would be kind of funny)
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-11-05 at 09:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Laurin could have been using True metabolism

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...Metabolism.htm

and wasn't complaining about having time to use her power, but having time to regenerate.
    So she was expecting Tarquin to wait the two rounds it took for her Fast Healing to undo the damage the Red Spray did? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I believe Laurin's last power is Ultrablast

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ultrablast.htm

which nicely explains why she appears to be letting out a silent shriek of horror and some of the Order covering their ears.

(It's possible that as a joke Laurin's healing line could be the "psionic grumbling" which would be kind of funny)
    The problem with that power is it does 13d6 (or 6.5d6) damage to everyone, which could easily have killed Belkar, and doesn't explain why Tarquin would just smile it off. You'd think he'd at least frown or grunt in pain.
    - The Flying Kipper