New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

Finally onto something that may actually have LA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Finally onto something that may actually have LA!
    I somehow doubt elves will get a positive LA.

Drow, perhaps.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #603

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post

Drow, perhaps.
    That was what I was referring to: seeing as how they are under Elf.
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

4. - Top - End - #604
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Drow, perhaps.
    That would be the only one worth a question: Drow LA.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Elf

Surprise update!

High Elf

The poor high elf: not only maligned for its constitution penalty, but also subject to various weed-related jokes. That said, +0 LA fits.

No more explanation is required: reviewing player races is boring anyway.

Half-Elf

More sub-par elvish material! You could give those guys a bonus feat and they'd still only be marginally better than humans. That said, +0 LA.

Aquatic Elf

Apparently D&D needs three different aquatic elves: the MM, Unearthed Arcana and Stormwrack all have their own flavor. Not bad for a race that's essentially 'elves, but underwater'. +0 LA.

Drow

Now we're getting somewhere! Right now, drow are at +2 LA, but that seems excessive. The SLA's are either underwhelming or easily obtainable, the SR is a double-edged sword and darkvision is overrated. +1 LA seems like it'd work fine.

Gray Elf

Elves with two extra stat changes: woo-hoo! +0 LA.

Wild Elf

Favored class (like anyone uses those) is sorcerer instead of wizard, stat penalty is intelligence instead of constitution. A slight nerf and a slight boost: +0 LA still applies.

Wood Elf

Just how many subraces did WotC feel the need to include? That said, wood elves are surprisingly nice for melee. Think about it: a dragonborn wood elf has +2 strength, -2 intelligence, access to all juicy elf PrC's and feats and standard dragonborn goodness. I'm surprised it doesn't pop up more often, to be honest.

Also, +0 LA.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe half-elf deserves -0? They are just so ridiculously underwhelming. Not underwhelming enough to get a real negative LA, but "why would you play this?" definitely applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Maybe half-elf deserves -0? They are just so ridiculously underwhelming. Not underwhelming enough to get a real negative LA, but "why would you play this?" definitely applies.
    Well, there's still half-elf-specific ACF's and feats, some of which are actually pretty nice (half-elf bard comes to mind). It makes them niche, but so are many other monsters.

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there's still half-elf-specific ACF's and feats, some of which are actually pretty nice (half-elf bard comes to mind). It makes them niche, but so are many other monsters.
    The Eternal Blade PrC from Tome of Battle is easiest to get into by a half-elf, as otherwise you'll take multiclassing penalties - since neither Warblade nor Crusader are favored classes of any race and half-elf has Favored class: Any - or jump through a lot of hoops like taking flaws or burning a ton of feats on Martial Study. Unless you don't use favored class rulings at all, that is.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #609

Also worth noting that half-elves get into eternal blade without a con penalty, which is a big deal for a melee front liner. Some of the elf subraces can as well, but half elf makes it work the best IMO.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The Eternal Blade PrC from Tome of Battle is easiest to get into by a half-elf, as otherwise you'll take multiclassing penalties - since neither Warblade nor Crusader are favored classes of any race and half-elf has Favored class: Any - or jump through a lot of hoops like taking flaws or burning a ton of feats on Martial Study. Unless you don't use favored class rulings at all, that is.
    How does entering Eternal Blade cause multiclass XP penalties? No multiclassing is required to enter, and PrC's don't count for XP penalties.

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

How does entering Eternal Blade cause multiclass XP penalties? No multiclassing is required to enter, and PrC's don't count for XP penalties.
    Oh yeah, you're right. However, entering it as Warblade/Crusader makes qualifying a bit easier.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, you're right. However, entering it as Warblade/Crusader makes qualifying a bit easier.
    I fail to see how it does. The prerequisites are:

Base Attack Bonus: +10
    Race: Elf
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Any)
    Martial Maneuvers: Any two Devoted Spirit or Diamond Mind maneuvers.
    The BAB is equally easy to get no matter if you're playing a warblade, crusader or warblade/crusader. The race is irrelevant to your class, and so is the feat. Finally, all three martial adepts can use DS or DM maneuvers, making it irrelevant which one you are there.

Tell me, what advantage does a warblade/crusader have over a single-classed character?

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

all three martial adepts can use DS or DM maneuvers, making it irrelevant which one you are there.

Tell me, what advantage does a warblade/crusader have over a single-classed character?
    Uh... no? Devoted Spirit is Crusader-only and Diamond Mind is for Warblades and Swordsages. It's not impossible to get in on a single-class chassis, but you'll have to take Martial Study twice. Only Stone Dragon can be taken by all three adepts.

As for advantages, not too many, but you are more flexible and get more maneuvers - maneuvers that are still powerful enough to be useful, since maneuvers known, maximum maneuver level, and initiator level stack with half your HD(round down). Plus, you can use the Warblade manever recovery method to recover Crusader maneuvers, so bonus points there as well.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #614

Uh... no? Devoted Spirit is Crusader-only and Diamond Mind is for Warblades and Swordsages. It's not impossible to get in on a single-class chassis, but you'll have to take Martial Study twice. Only Stone Dragon can be taken by all three adepts.

As for advantages, not too many, but you are more flexible and get more maneuvers - maneuvers that are still powerful enough to be useful, since maneuvers known, maximum maneuver level, and initiator level stack with half your HD(round down). Plus, you can use the Warblade manever recovery method to recover Crusader maneuvers, so bonus points there as well.
    It's two of one or the other. You don't need two of both, so neither multiclassing nor martial study are needed.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    It's two of one or the other. You don't need two of both, so neither multiclassing nor martial study are needed.
    Ah cr*p. Sorry for failing that Spot check, but I could have sworn that I've seen at least one post that said so...

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Ethereal Filcher

Another for the 'what were they smoking' category, the filcher has a number of... interesting design choices. A single foot would be weird for an ethereal creature, let alone for a material one. If the thing on its torso is its face, then what's that wormlike thing atop its body? Why is an underground creature colored brightly green?

Their appearance aside: filchers aren't exactly strong. The 5 aberration HD suck and there's only three (middling) skills to spend points on. The dexterity bonus is huge, but the intelligence penalty is especially unpleasant on what will probably end up being a skillmonkey. The bite attack is weak, though it shouldn't be hard to convince the DM that filchers can wield weapons, opening up several interesting tactics.

The skill bonuses (+8 to SoH, +4 to Listen and Spot) are pretty large, and Detect Magic at-will has its uses (though of course, a mere 2nd-level warlock can do that and much more). I guess the chief reason for playing a filcher will be Ethereal Jaunt, which turns you ethereal for a round at the time with nearly no actions lost.

Can a viable build be made here? I think the answer is yes. The ability to be ethereal whenever it's not your turn is pretty huge, and the other abilities have at least some use. Still, I think +0 LA is enough.

Next are Ethereal Marauders!
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-22 at 10:11 AM.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #617

The filcher is tricky - a lot of low-level hazards can be bypassed completely by going ethereal and then making a mad dash through the locks, traps, enemy encounters, and so forth. Imagine a party of ethereal filchers. Hell, they could pilfer all sorts of goods, hide them in the Ethereal, and then come back for them when the heat died down. It really is a shame that their skills are so awful.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The filcher is tricky - a lot of low-level hazards can be bypassed completely by going ethereal and then making a mad dash through the locks, traps, enemy encounters, and so forth. Imagine a party of ethereal filchers. Hell, they could pilfer all sorts of goods, hide them in the Ethereal, and then come back for them when the heat died down. It really is a shame that their skills are so awful.
    Think that's bad? Wait until you see the next beasties.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Ethereal Marauder

More wacky-looking ethereal monsters!

The chassis is quite attractive, with two magical beast RHD. Stat boosts are less great, but still positive overall (+4 strength, +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom, -4 intelligence). Speed is above average, and NA is not bad.

The bite attack is weak, but that matters little: any self-respecting meleeer would be using a Mouthpick weapon already. Finally, there's the skill bonuses: Spot and Listen are always useful, but Move Silently is useless for a certain reason.

That reason? Ethereal Jaunt. Marauders can shift to the material as a free action, then back to the ethereal as a move action. Amongst other things, this guarantees a surprise round that places you next to an opponent, near-perfect scouting, great puzzle-solving and awesome in-combat defenses.

So what LA to give? If it weren't for Ethereal Jaunt this would be an easy -0, but with it the situation changes. +2 seems best right now, but all alternate perspectives are welcome.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-24 at 01:51 AM.

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #620

The bite attack is weak, but that matters little: any self-respecting meleeer would be using a Mouthpick weapon already.
    Isn't Mouthpick a +1 property? So you'd need an 8000gp weapon, which is hardly achievable at level 3.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Turning ethereal at will with action economy like that seems a lot stronger than ECL 3. Imagine what kind of class levels you'd have to have to duplicate that ability.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I considered +2. Should I change it to that?

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Turning ethereal at will with action economy like that seems a lot stronger than ECL 3. Imagine what kind of class levels you'd have to have to duplicate that ability.
    I don't think it's necessarily fair to judge things that way. Instead, you should look at the sort of challenges that such an ability overcomes, and the CR of the threats that are capable of countering such an ability.

I would compare this ability to incorporeality - a lot of threats are unable to do anything against it, it can bypass many obstacles. But unlike incorporeals, this creature can be defeated in combat by readied actions.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Compare the blink dog, which is at ECL 5. Etherealness is more powerful than anything they get. I would honestly lean towards +3.

25. - Top - End - #625

It's useful, sure, but it's not enough to make a swing from the -0 without up to a +2 or more with.

Sure, it can use a Mouthpick weapon ... but the Ethereal Marauder doesn't really have any other viable form of manipulating anything else. Plus, it's going to be lacking magic item slots - it doesn't have forelimbs, which means no bracer or glove slots.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626

Honestly, it's a bit of a weird creature. I don't see it as being very strong in a typical D&D fight (does damage too slowly, won't contribute to the party much). It completely negates traps and a lot of dungeon delving encounters.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

+4 Strength is plenty enough to contribute damage as an initiator. Your bite is only 1d6 base, but it still deals 1.5x Strength, and it's not like you're full attacking anyway.

Readied actions aren't a major threat because if they ready an action, you can see them doing nothing on their turn, so you get to just take a free buff round by hanging around an extra turn on the ethereal while your allies punish them for skipping their action. If you have any kind of fast healing, you can even stay there indefinitely to lick your wounds if they ever manage to hit you, so that you're either going down in one round or not at all. Or, blink onto the material and ready an action to blink back to the ethereal if they attack you, while using your swift action to give an ally an extra turn with White Raven Tactics. I dunno. Etherealness is super powerful.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

It's a craptacular chassis, but I have to agree that etherealness is just too good for ECL. I'd go LA +3 myself, but I could settle for LA +2.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

So what would fit this guy? Etheral Jaunt fits some sort of sneaky character, so maybe a Swordsage with Assassin's Stance? Skillmonkey might be difficult with that Int penalty, and Marauders get a bonus to Wis.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

So what would fit this guy? Etheral Jaunt fits some sort of sneaky character, so maybe a Swordsage with Assassin's Stance? Skillmonkey might be difficult with that Int penalty, and Marauders get a bonus to Wis.
    Swordsage seems to be fine. Enough base skill points to get points in the important stuff, abilities that complement blinking (free action shift, swift action boost, standard action maneuver, move action shift), and even some ability synergy.

Also, I changed the LA to +2.

Extended signature!