New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VII

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Depends on the creature, buuuut for the vast majority, no.
    Would it depend on the worshipper being an ensouled mortal, instead of the sort of "born of the plane" elementals that typically populate the Inner Planes?

I'm working on an endgame that involves Shothragot attempting to free Tharizdun, and one of the previous threads discussed that if Shothragot actually made it into the Ethereal, the gods could just send out divine salient abilities and/or solars en masse to **** it up. While this is a good idea for a failsafe, I'd like to figure out a way to keep the gods from doing that. However, when I think up stuff that could distract the gods from the possible releasing of Big T, anything big enough to keep their attention seems like it would be an objectively bigger problem than Tharizdun. So my question is, what kinds of things could keep a pantheon's attention and forces occupied while not over-shadowing the Ebon God?

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
    I'm working on an endgame that involves Shothragot attempting to free Tharizdun, and one of the previous threads discussed that if Shothragot actually made it into the Ethereal, the gods could just send out divine salient abilities and/or solars en masse to **** it up. While this is a good idea for a failsafe, I'd like to figure out a way to keep the gods from doing that. However, when I think up stuff that could distract the gods from the possible releasing of Big T, anything big enough to keep their attention seems like it would be an objectively bigger problem than Tharizdun. So my question is, what kinds of things could keep a pantheon's attention and forces occupied while not over-shadowing the Ebon God?
    A tactical/careful deployment of an Elder Evil with the Impervious to the Divine malefic property might work. Sertrous for example. He can't really threaten deities directly, but none of their divine spells, spell-likes or SU abilities work on him. Also has Anathemic Secrecy, which makes him notoriously difficult to keep track of.

If he were to turn up at a really inconvenient place at the right time, doing something he can not be allowed to do, it might provide a window of opportunity for old Shotty. Of course that doesn't cover the how or what, but it might be a start.
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

3. - Top - End - #933
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So, set an Elder Evil to cover for an Elder Evil?

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

It's, probably, was already asked at some point, but still: number of effects in the game are referring to a "soul" or "spirit" - such as Astral Projection, Imprison Soul, Magic Jar, Trap the Soul spells, or Astral Seed power.

But Elemental and Outsider types are say:
    Unlike most other living creatures, an ... does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an ... is slain, no soul is set loose.
    So, what's will happen if creature of one of those types are affected by such effect?
    (Say, does it mean if a Huge fiend would be slayed with a thinaun sword, its corpse would be sucked into the blade completely, and leave nothing behind?)

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I mean it's not, since if you have the book with the dogai in it, you have the explanation...

And that's where murder devils come from.
    What?? I even re-read the entry on dogai before asking to prevent exactly that! How did I miss that?
    Thank you for the answer. Generally, I don't think I thank you often enough, so again: Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Would it depend on the worshipper being an ensouled mortal, instead of the sort of "born of the plane" elementals that typically populate the Inner Planes?
    Precisely.

So my question is, what kinds of things could keep a pantheon's attention and forces occupied while not over-shadowing the Ebon God?
    I mean your problem there is that a pantheon would risk destruction to stop Tharizdun's return if they knew about it and that was the cost required. Shothragot itself is much too large and obvious a problem spot. It's better suited being a distraction for some other plot to breach the binding. Get something in there with some color and personality to it. Something like...

The lore of Shothragot is rare and hard to find; untold centuries would be needed to find more than scraps that mention the herald of dead Tharizdun. For the wizard Ynoc'belial, whose sleep is haunted by the dark promise, those centuries have been worth every moment. A drow male who rose to prominence only to be humiliated by the priestesses of Lolth, Yoliel Cban changed his name and his face and fell in with forces more terrible than the Demon Queen of Spiders. His contempt for the drow matriarchy was stoked into a bitter and nihilistic hatred, for his new cohorts steered the wizard away from any opportunity for self-reflection and the path to redemption at every turn, selling violence and terror as the solution to Ynoc'belial's aimless grudge.

Turning to the teachings of dread Tharizdun, Ynoc'belial became an agent of the ancient nightmare, his reverie-filled trances connecting him to the bliss of Tharizdun's all-consuming hate. Now the wizard has hatched a grand scheme that will violate the nature of the Multiverse and channel historical atrocities long believed lost to time, all by manipulating the agents of the gods to test their mettle against the abomination that is the Dark God's Herald.

Ynoc'belial knows that Shothragot was nearly destroyed during the time of the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire. By allowing it to emerge to threaten the world and preparing a ritual to capitalize on its wounding when the forces of Good invariably respond, Ynoc'belial hopes to use the weakened fabric of realities at the stone circles of Tovag Baragu to connect the present to the past and unleash the full force of the Twin Cataclysms, funnelling the burning of a world into a sacrifice to empower and hopefully release the Author of Wickedness from his Demiplane of Imprisonment. The gods cannot perceive Shothragot directly, and in the face of the herald's threat, they will never notice the threat from beyond time coming their way - not until it is far, far too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    It's, probably, was already asked at some point, but still: number of effects in the game are referring to a "soul" or "spirit" - such as Astral Projection, Imprison Soul, Magic Jar, Trap the Soul spells, or Astral Seed power.

But Elemental and Outsider types are say:

So, what's will happen if creature of one of those types are affected by such effect?
    For the most part, they do in fact just up and vanish - they don't leave a physical form behind. The one that this is weird with is magic jar - obviously the demon physically slipping into the host is a time-honored trope and perfectly fine (and this is usually exactly how it goes down, one way or another) but technically if you displace the demon's soul and magic jar into its body... there shouldn't be a body there to enter. I don't believe the rules have addressed this. Would be interesting to find out.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wonderful, great stuff, awesome! That's very evocative and inspiring.

Are there any more references to the Elder Elves who opened the Vast Gate beyond Dungeon 330 (wherein Cerebrotic Blots are described) and Elder Evils (wherein Father Llymic came through the Vast Gate)?

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Wonderful, great stuff, awesome! That's very evocative and inspiring.

Are there any more references to the Elder Elves who opened the Vast Gate beyond Dungeon 330 (wherein Cerebrotic Blots are described) and Elder Evils (wherein Father Llymic came through the Vast Gate)?
    You'd be wanting Gates of Firestorm Peak, which was about the Vast Gate itself.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Many thanks.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

That is a very interesting pick-up regarding the Dogai.

Is the implication here then that they are reformed Ancient Baatorians?

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    That is a very interesting pick-up regarding the Dogai.

Is the implication here then that they are reformed Ancient Baatorians?
    Well, deformed, since Asmodeus had them smelted, but yes.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What is the distinction between a cleric who worships nature and draws divine energy from it and a druid who worships nature(?) and draws divine energy from it?

what is the nature of a divine proxy, or avatar or aspect?

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

What sort of thing would be the magical-knowledge equivalent of "fluent in Rongorongo"
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-23 at 02:19 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Bugbear in the Playground

Polygot feat from ELH is fluent in all non-secret languages. Druidic fluency is likely closest if you consider it a secret language. There is also words of creation from BoED.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Polygot feat from ELH is fluent in all non-secret languages. Druidic fluency is likely closest if you consider it a secret language. There is also words of creation from BoED.
    I meant metaphorically.

Now that I'm looking back, though, I suppose "metaphorically fluent in Rongorongo" isn't really a reasonable description of anything. I'm not sure why I thought asking it would be a good idea.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you mean access to knowledge or tools which are otherwise completely inaccessible, there are a reasonable number of examples.

Spell Weavers, for example have culture/history/etc but never communicate outside their race and are immune to most attempts to find it out, so they might be an example of sources of information which is technically not lost, but is mostly inaccessible without a lot of effort (and presumably never discovered in-setting bar PC action).

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

What is the distinction between a cleric who worships nature and draws divine energy from it and a druid who worships nature(?) and draws divine energy from it?
    So we're talking non-deity cleric/non-deity druid, then?

Simplest answer would be the cleric is drawing on essential beliefs about nature and is being empowered through Outer Planar conduits; the druid is tapping into the underlying forces of nature and is being empowered through Inner Planar conduits.

what is the nature of a divine proxy, or avatar or aspect?
    Those are three very different things. A proxy is an individual who has been endowed with power by a deity to speak in their place and represent them to mortals when needed (the power itself being much too overwhelming for mortals to be around). An avatar is a remote extension of the deity, much lesser in scope but still part and parcel of the same being. An aspect is an outsider created to act as a temporary local representation of the deity and is not the same being; it does not have access to salient divine abilities and is functionally just a powerful herald in the shape of the deity. Aspects rarely exist more than 24 hours, are aware of their existence as aspects and desirous to return to the source when their task is over, and do not have a two-way connection with said source to transfer information directly - the god who dispatches an aspect will only learn what the aspect learned when the aspect is reabsorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What sort of thing would be the magical-knowledge equivalent of "fluent in Rongorongo"
    Comprehension of Juna magic would probably do it.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Howbdo i navigate to earlier threads?

19. - Top - End - #949
    Pixie in the Playground

1. What's the largest good-aligned Planar city? (I'm looking for equivalents of Zelatar, Dis, etc.)

2. Is there any lore about planes with infinite cities?

20. - Top - End - #950
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is the aspect of a Demon Lord/Archdevil/Elder Evil/etc the same situation? A separate "super-herald"?

Would it be accurate to list their levels of power (assuming the same original entity) as Avatar/Aspect/Proxy in descending order?

Does an Aspect have the memories and knowledge of the original power, even if it knows it is an aspect? Would this be an appropriate set-up for some sort of "clone doesn't want to be re-absorbed" plot, or is there a level of mystic subservience in place?

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

-is there a way to counter the wild magic trait of the far realm with a spell? i was theorising planar buble or Planar Perinarch but casting those wile there already causes Wild Magic...

-Since the plane itself is highly morphic can you morph it into a steady magic zone as you do on Limbo? Or would you need the spell Planar Perinarch for this?

-Are SLAs/SU subject to Wild magic or only spells?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

22. - Top - End - #952
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    -is there a way to counter the wild magic trait of the far realm with a spell? i was theorising planar buble or Planar Perinarch but casting those wile there already causes Wild Magic...

-Since the plane itself is highly morphic can you morph it into a steady magic zone as you do on Limbo? Or would you need the spell Planar Perinarch for this?

Planar Shepherd, Acorn of Far Travel, and there's an item that'll make you always count as being on your home plane too. Those *should* work. But its the Far Realm, it plays by it's own lack of rules.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylfr View Post
    They are linked in the first post of this very thread, my friend. Godspeed, there's a lot of reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylfr View Post
    There are links to them embedded in the first post of this thread, where Afroakuma says "The last six threads have covered..."

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Since Elder Evils from the book of the same name are just a collection of weird things powerful and interested enough to end campaigns, would there be anything planar-ly "wrong" with writing up something like an Aspect of Tharizdun (or some other deity who cares) as an Elder Evil (with the signs and anathemic secrecy)?

Although now I have the question what gives something anathemic qualities?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Hi. I see that this is the 7th thread. Im pretty new here. Could someone please tell me how navigating to prior related threads works? Id like to peruse the older ones. Links are acceptable too but not prefered as learning how to navigate in the manner i at firat mentioned would greatly increase my over all proficiency with the site as may pertain to future threads of interest i wish to do the same thing with. Thankyou in advance to whoever is willing to assist me.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    There are links to them embedded in the first post of this thread, where Afroakuma says "The last six threads have covered..."
    I didnt see this at first. Thankyou.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
    1. What's the largest good-aligned Planar city? (I'm looking for equivalents of Zelatar, Dis, etc.)
    Of those documented, the answer would appear to be Yetsirah.

2. Is there any lore about planes with infinite cities?
    Nothing comes to mind.

Is the aspect of a Demon Lord/Archdevil/Elder Evil/etc the same situation? A separate "super-herald"?
    Essentially, yes.

Would it be accurate to list their levels of power (assuming the same original entity) as Avatar/Aspect/Proxy in descending order?
    That would be accurate in terms of amount of divine power invested, but proxies tend to be extraordinary individuals to begin with and when empowered are likely stronger than an aspect.

Does an Aspect have the memories and knowledge of the original power, even if it knows it is an aspect?
    It has such memory and knowledge as it needs to accomplish its charge, and no more than that.

Would this be an appropriate set-up for some sort of "clone doesn't want to be re-absorbed" plot, or is there a level of mystic subservience in place?
    It would not be appropriate, no. Aspects are not designed to exist for long periods of time and prefer to return to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post

If you can pass the wild magic check, planar bubble and planar perinarch will both function in the Far Realm. Usually. The highly morphic trait of the Far Realm does not respond to acts of mental control, so you would need planar perinarch to do this.

SLAs yes, supernatural abilities no.

Since Elder Evils from the book of the same name are just a collection of weird things powerful and interested enough to end campaigns, would there be anything planar-ly "wrong" with writing up something like an Aspect of Tharizdun (or some other deity who cares) as an Elder Evil (with the signs and anathemic secrecy)?
    Tharizdun can't dispatch aspects or avatars from within the Demiplane of Imprisonment. An aspect would not be an Elder Evil; the thing projecting it would be. Remember that an aspect is a highly temporary phenomenon.

Although now I have the question what gives something anathemic qualities?
    Elder Evils played fast and loose with that particular issue, so much so that the essential answer is "the DM."

29. - Top - End - #959
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oof, sorry, now I gotta ask if Tharizdun could empower a Proxy from inside his Purple Crystal of Time-Out.

Also, maybe I misread something in an earlier thread, but wasn't some sliver of Tharizdun related to the corruption of the Queen of Air and Darkness?

Regardless, thanks for the answers, I appreciate it.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Oof, sorry, now I gotta ask if Tharizdun could empower a Proxy from inside his Purple Crystal of Time-Out.
    The answer is either "Absolutely not" or "He did once; their name was Shothragot" and I'm pretty sure the former is more likely.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.