New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll (Deirdre McCoy)
    Show
    You mentioned noticing this, so Vittorio mentioned the Italian word for Devil, and the final passage is in reference to the Devil... perhaps there's some sort of similarity between the passages and the words he said? Although it'd probably be more helpful if you could ask someone who knew Italian...

Lois shudders, "Yeah, seems we might be goin' up 'gainst actual people 'ere. As fer the flippin' I didn't notice anythin' but then again, I'm not very good on readin' people, so if ya' say so, Izzy."

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Izzy finishes the remainder of his coffee in one long sip. “Well, I suppose whatever we’re facing, —there’s no point in putting it off further. Shall we head to the house?”

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

idea: (1d100)[88]

"I guess so.. as long as we have some daylight left?" Deirdre says, pretty reluctantly.

4. - Top - End - #424

DruidGirl

”Let’s plan to be out of there by sunset, for sure. “

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, Jus’ wish I knew what pages he landed on, n’ wat ‘e was sayin’.” She nods towards Yitzhak, “If tha’ was important, like ya’ were sayin’.
    ——

Ok, well, just let me know when you’re ready to go! Also note that sunset is still around 4:40, which leaves you maybe twenty minutes to explore the house... (if you’re leaving by sunset)

6. - Top - End - #426

DruidGirl

”Ah, I forget how early the sun sets this time of year. Maybe it’s best to go in the morning...”

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre looks at Lois. "I think he was muttering something in Italian..?"

"Conea arma lasuel stressa petunia diablo?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois looks confused for a moment, but then thinks... (as Zing makes an Idea roll for her) "Huh, well, 'arma' is uh..." She flips out her switchknife and then puts it away. "That. Blade, weapon, or somethin'. 'Diablo'... well... sounds like devil." Her face then turns darker. "Meanwhile ya' got petunia. Doesn't mean anythin' really... but... he mighta' said 'pettinato'..." She looks down, "Slang. Means combin,' but... uh... sometimes it can be in reference to combin' a' other parts." She draws a hand across her throat. "Heard that one a lot..." However she then tries to put on a bit of a brave face. "But uh... 'conea'? I don't think that really means much, 'cept might be 'con ea' or 'with it's at...' doesn't make much sense. Meanwhile, 'lasuel'? That I don' have a clue 'bout. Although..." She thinks harder... "'La' is an article ya' know, like 'the,' basically. N' 'suel' sounds like some sorta possessive, ya' know, his, hers, its, theirs, whatnot. Ya' can tell 'cause most everything tha' begins wit' 'su''s a possessive. Sadly I got no idea 'bout 'stressa.'"

With all that out of the way though, Lois nods, "Yeah, comin' in tha' mornin' probably wouldn't be too bad."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

"He's searching for a strong weapon against the devil?"

(assuming stressa is some kind of root related to strength)

"Would make sense if.. I think all the passages he pointed to in the bible had to do with driving away the devil or killing someone evil..."

"So... I.. I honestly don't think I want to go in that house, but I suppose, just to be sure, we could go in there for a bit together. Tomorrow, in broad daylight. And if we feel that evil presence there or get a plate thrown at us, just report back to Mr. Knott and give him the bad news. I mean, there's no way we could prove the house isn't haunted if.. well, it actually is."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-11-06 at 05:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois shrugs, "If that's whatcha want. Can't help but feel bad for Mr. Knott... Seemed like 'e really wanted ta' sell tha' place." She then looks towards Yitzhak, "'Ey, Izzy, didn't ya' say there was some way to exorcize the place or whatever? Maybe that'd stop tha' hauntin'... altho' why'd 'e be searchin' for a weapon, it it's some sorta ghost. Can a weapon kill ghosts?"

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not mundane weapon, like a gun or a switchblade, Lois. For instance, do you think a fish liver is any kind of a decent weapon?"

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois looks confused, but then realization dawns on her face, "Ah, yeah, I getcha..."

Spoiler: Extreme Idea (Intelligence) Roll (Yitzhask Laskov)
    Show
    All of this talk of weapons suddenly makes you think of something... back in Arkham, what feels like nearly two weeks ago, there was something else about weapons and spirits...

13. - Top - End - #433

DruidGirl

Extreme idea: (d100)[100]

Edit: BWAHAHAHA
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-06 at 05:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434

DruidGirl

That damn migraine -- twice in a couple days! What is going on?

Izzy grimaces, and shields his eyes. "Let me.. unf..look into it. If my... head clears up, I can ...tonight....the library, or my own texts.. "

Izzy asks the proprietor if he has any strong headache medicine --opioids work best-- but stays pretty quiet for the rest of the trip back (unless/until his migraine lifts)
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-06 at 05:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And with that I think Yitzhak is ready to leave, what about Deirdre?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Yea lets make like trees and get outta here.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yitzhak is able to pick up some medicine (they have aspirin on hand for a cent or two, but should he wish, he might be able to find some opioids in the local pharmacy [although normally requiring a prescription, this is not a very large town]). Thus, the trio eventually depart from Roxbury, both more learned and left with more questions than when they initially came.

On the Tracks, 4:21 PM, Thursday, November 3rd, 1921

The train ride back is quite quiet. Several other passengers on board give the lot of you strange glances (along with Yitzhak who winces every time there's a bump on the way), but nevertheless, you're mostly ignored. Thus, the train travels on... and on...

Boston, 4:35 PM, Thursday, November 3rd, 1921

You step out back in Boston and its South Station. The sun is setting on the horizon, and you doubt there's much light left in the day. Yitzhak still feels quite poor, but nevertheless, you all can probably make it back to the Parker House Hotel. Lois nods once you enter, "Good luck, Izzy." She then heads over towards the dining area, ready for a short dinner, a quick run, and then a long rest... it's going to be a long day tomorrow...

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

"I was going to suggest maybe we should try a different place for dinner, but you aren't looking too well.." Deirdre says.

"Oh well! Guess I could try something different..." she blithely continues. She tries the dinner special of the day: shrimp scampi.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois shrugs, "If ya' want..."
    ----

You are free to head somewhere else should you choose. Lois just believes in ease and efficiency, and this is most certainly the easiest method of obtaining dinner. Otherwise...
    ----

The shrimp scampi is nice; of course, overall your stay here has been quite excellent. You'll have to thank Mr. Knott for his generosity. After the meal (Lois ordered a burger), Lois plans to continue her original idea. Getting ready to head out.
    ----

Is there anything else you'd like to do? Or would you simply like for me to fast forward to Friday?
    ----

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Meanwhile you head back to your room. Eventually, thanks to the medication your headache subsides, as you begin to look over your own texts.

Spoiler: Successful Occult Roll
    Show
    As you're looking over your research, something stands out to you. Maybe it's because of your headache, or maybe it's just due to fact of this sudden realization, but your mind focuses on the Spirit Trap. Suddenly, something clicks. You look over your notes on Tibetan culture and one copy stands out to you. All this talk of weapons and what not, blades, and everything. It seems rather strange that the Tibetans also believed in the Phurba, the ritual dagger used to release an evil spirit by plunging it into them.

Spoiler: Failed Occult Roll
    Show
    You honestly can barely focus as is, and so you simply go through your notes one more time. The research you did on Tibet, the research you've done previously concerning the Dybbuk, and more, but nothing really seems to stand out for you (unless you draw a conclusion I did not note).

20. - Top - End - #440

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Occult: (d100)[25]

Edit: Is there any info on what makes it a phurba, instead of a plain ol’ knife?
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-06 at 07:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Something about special treatment, engravings and whatnot, but nothing that would actually provide instructions for making such a thing. Although it does note that the Phurba must be made with a "pure" metal, generally some kind of brass or iron treated to remove impurities.

22. - Top - End - #442

DruidGirl

(I’m all set to fast forward to Friday breakfast.)
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-06 at 08:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Boston, 7:29 AM, Friday, November 4th, 1921

Lois emerges from her room as the three of you head down for breakfast. You've all woken up quite early today, after all, it is the last day of your investigation. There's a part of you that's somewhat anxious, as despite the fact that you've only been investigating for a week, it seems like forever. And yet still, another part of you wishes that it could continue, maybe that's just the curiosity of the unknown inside of you, maybe that's just how you're feeling on this particular Friday morning, but one thing is for sure. Such an occasion constitutes the mightiest of breakfasts: pancakes (don't at me).
    However, there is an almost somber attitude in the air. Everything so far has pointed you towards the fact that this house is occupied. Someone, or something dwells there. What you will find inside, however, remains to be seen...

"So, ya' both ready for today?"

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

"The truth? Not really..." Deirdre says. She sighed and stirred her coffee far more times than was necessary.

25. - Top - End - #445

DruidGirl

Izzy looks up from the breakfast knife he was, oddly, gazing at; and grins.
    ”Not ready, but good enough.”

“I was able to do a little research last night. I didn’t find much. But: Interestingly, the Tibetan texts mention stabbing an evil spirit to get rid of it; which maybe aligns with what some of Vittorio was saying? The Tibetans use a ritual knife, which is made of “a pure metal”...”

“...I’m wondering if this tableknife is close enough to pure silver?”

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois shrugs, "Weird... maybe? I don' know..."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre frowns and says, "I don't know.. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that simple.."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois eventually finishes her meal and subsequently stands, holding her silverware knife as she does. "Only one way ta' find out I guess..." Her face grows stern, "Now it's time ta' kill a ghost!" She says the last part hopefully out of earshot of any other patrons. However this seriousness changes to confusion, "Wait... tha' doesn't make any sense... Exorcise it? Banish it?

Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    This is most certainly a front, as hinted by a slight collapse of her grim demeanor. Lois herself is terrified of this prospect, but having been the rough and tough girl of the group, she's clearly doing her best to try and be brave.

Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    There's also something else too, a hint of reservation? No... respect. Respect for whatever is haunting this place, just how a soldier might respect an enemy on the battlefield.
    ----

Just let me know when you all are ready to go!

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's bring the flashlight you bought the other day," Deirdre says. She smiles at Lois's confusion.

Psychology: (1d100)[1]

----

Leggo!

30. - Top - End - #450

DruidGirl

Psych: (d100)[22]

Ready!