Spoiler
    Show

It's 2019!

Love the critters, so cool!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #1188 - The Discussion Thread

Wholesome! Some set up for further down the line and a tiny dose of character development.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sphinx pot appeared in which page? I do not remember it.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    it’s been pretty clearly getting better, starting to recognize that other people’s lives matter beyond “funny man will stay funny” and “sex with them would be nice”
    Again, that's not prioritizing being a better person, that's prioritizing not being an annoying little runt.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Take that, Sphinx Pox! Shoulda loved Hel and propagated faster.

This is a nice wholesome break for our team. Truly, everyone has come so far.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It could be summer. Far enough north the sun never sets in summer.
    Actually, it is somewhere between the first week of January to early March. There's actually a good chance of there being no Sun at all during the day.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    The sunset is in the west, they are traveling north. Which is Perpendicular to the sunlight as sunset. I get what he means, its just they set course 2 pages ago and would have fit better there. Though that title was a better use than this one.

eh, minor gripe at best. (edit: my griping, not anyone elses).
    The joke, IMO, is that they would be sailing off into the sunset, but going to the north pole gets in the way of narrative conventions.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It could be summer. Far enough north the sun never sets in summer.
    But does it go west before the end of the "day"?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think the old stuff holds up just as well as the new stuff, and often better.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    The joke, IMO, is that they would be sailing off into the sunset, but going to the north pole gets in the way of narrative conventions.
    Thank you, that’s the best explanation I’ve seen so far, and actually made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo386 View Post
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think the old stuff holds up just as well as the new stuff, and often better.
    Unpopular with me anyway. The gag-a-day stuff seems vastly shallower than the drama does for me (admittedly, I’ve only actually played 5e.). I usually skip book 1 when doing a reread.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-11-26 at 06:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Again, that's not prioritizing being a better person, that's prioritizing not being an annoying little runt.
    ...Isn't prioritizing not being an annoying little runt still being a better person than before? No, I'm being totally serious.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Also, the Sphinx Pox couldn't have been resolved more dramatically.
    It was perfect. The Sphinx Pox got exactly the drama it deserved given the existence of a high level cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    And finally, the Bag of Tricks fulfills its purpose: assisting drunk people.
    Hey! It has a purpose! Yeah!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So if they are lining up their abilities and priorities, and sailing north, perpendicular to the sunset they are . . . Polarized.

I think maybe Belkar will end up petrified like that Dwarf from the Order of the Scribble, but I could be wrong.

I vote that V is writing their ex. Maybe seeing Durkon and Hilgya coming to some sort of accommodation (and the kid! V has kids!) sparked some similar idea in V's mind.

Great strip!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But does it go west before the end of the "day"?
    Does it go east-west in Stickworld to begin with?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Isn't prioritizing not being an annoying little runt still being a better person than before? No, I'm being totally serious.
    "Better" in what sense? Because I'm arguing its not better in the "Good-Evil" sense, which is where redemption would come into play. Dream Shojo told Belkar to play the game or they'd boot him from the table. That doesn't equate to "don't be Evil."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid

15. - Top - End - #135
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I know I might be overthinking it but did Durkon use the spell on Roy? The middle panel with Roy sounds a bit ominous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I don’t see cute animals tucking Roy in.

I see a disease vector Durkon may have forgot to cure: hidden animals in a magic bag.
    It reads a lot less ominously if you imagine the transition between the last two panels as having a record scratch sound effect.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    It reads a lot less ominously if you imagine the transition between the last two panels as having a record scratch sound effect.
    I also want to say that I really appreciate the scorch marks from Blackwing’s deliberate UMD mishap still being there on V’s desk area. Giant could have just said “oh they replaced the table” and drawn less, instead we got a nice little continuity check.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-11-26 at 07:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Yeah, it did seem like a waste of a Chekhov's Gun. I can't help but think that as glad as Elan will be that no one is going to die, seeing a potentially dramatic plot device not be used would break his heart.

On the subject of drama, however, its going to be a nerve-wracking week as we wait for the end of the book on Monday. Something tells me that one's going to end on a big wham!
    I think it was used as a joke about Hel and an example of her immaturity which the forums conflated
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does it go east-west in Stickworld to begin with?

"Better" in what sense? Because I'm arguing its not better in the "Good-Evil" sense, which is where redemption would come into play. Dream Shojo told Belkar to play the game or they'd boot him from the table. That doesn't equate to "don't be Evil."
    Belkar has moved far beyond Dream Shojo’s advice, because he’s not just faking friendliness and helpfulness, he’s starting to show empathy to people, that gnome shopkeeper didn’t get a date because Belkar felt weird about it, Greg was attacked because he stealing Durkon’s body, and the best way to be redeemed is to realize that you hurt others and that it was bad to do that, instead you should help them, and trying to be helpful and kind does equate to not being an annoying little runt.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Pox: Thor could've told him off-panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I think maybe Belkar will end up petrified like that Dwarf from the Order of the Scribble, but I could be wrong.
    You can clip that "could" if you like. Kraagor (the dwarf in question) wasn't petrified, he was locked away with the Snarl; and the statue of him is a memorial, not his remains. As far as we know, anyway.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LordSith View Post
    Sphinx pot appeared in which page? I do not remember it.
    Sphinx Pox: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1081.html

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Color me skeptical.
    I'm aware of the existence of that strip, but I still think it's more important for Vaarsuvius to contact the Order's allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "Last breath ever" makes this less likely, but I do like the idea of subverting "redemption=death", particularly for a character like Belkar.
    I like the idea of subverting it too, but in the "death but no redemption" sense. Belkar is more three-dimensional, which does not necessarily equate to less evil. Plus, we have a character who says redemption is a rare and special thing, and we have a character who needs redemption and actively acknowledges that they did a terrible thing.
    I agree with this, especially because as a trope redemption=death is overused to an excessive degree, while it’s not a completely useless trope and many great redemption stories use it we usually don’t get to see the character doing good later and a sense of symmetry, just one climactic moment where they sacrifice their life, now they’re good, trust us (but Belkar’s definitely getting it, and I’m cool with it in this situation)
    I try to stay away from bringing up tropes in criticism because it's an easy road to walk to get you where you're evaluating a work largely by whether it subverted, inverted, or refried tropes. Whatever happens to Belkar will work or not for me based on whether it is plausible based on his character and effective based on the needs of the drama.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

At last we can put this Sphinx Pox thing to rest :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    My guess is that, after hearing what Hilgya plans to do when the **** hits the fan, Vaarsuvius remembered V's parental responsibility and is sending to Aarindarius to warn the elven village of the potentially impending end of the world and ask Aarindarius to planeshift Inkyrius and the kids out.

25 words wouldn't be nearly enough to explain things to Inkyrius, but "The world is doomed! Flee, you fools!" should get the point across to another wizard, with plenty space to explain that the world might not end, and V will come to the plane of ranch dressing to pick them up when/if the danger is over.

I don't think Aarindarius will participate in any climactic battle that V is in, too. Mentors ought not to meddle in the protagonist's adventures. But planeshifting all the elves Aarindarius knows personally and cares about to a safe place will keep Aarindarius busy for a while, and at the same time show that V was wise enough to ask for help.
    This is a more plausible case to me than that V is going Stevie Wonder sending to Inkyrius.

I gotta disagree-- if Belkar is starting to recognize that other people's lives matter, that is clearly a step toward being a better person, even if it is one he should have made a long time ago. Isn't one of the fundamental traits of Good "a concern for the dignity of sentient beings"?
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-11-26 at 08:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Sphinx Pox: Thor could've told him off-panel.
    And here I thought I was going to be the one saying this. :/

I suspect V is Sending to OChul, but the Sending could also be to that one priestess back at the Godsmoot as well.

Thing is, what could they say in 25 words to relay what's happened?
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

26. - Top - End - #146

Objection. I still find the "level" vs "level" joke fun.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    but the Sending could also be to that one priestess back at the Godsmoot as well.
    They can't, because the clerics at the Godsmoot are blocked from communication: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1023.html

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    And here I thought I was going to be the one saying this. :/

I suspect V is Sending to OChul, but the Sending could also be to that one priestess back at the Godsmoot as well.

Thing is, what could they say in 25 words to relay what's happened?
    The magic quarantine of the Godsmoot blocks communication spells. V is not contacting Veldrina.

29. - Top - End - #149

I'm starting to wonder what Belkar would have to do before you would look at that and say "Yep, that's some redemption progress right there."

Belkar has:

1. Experienced empathy towards other living creatures and altered his behavior accordingly (Gnome Shopkeeper).
    2. Expressed remorse for previous actions and made attempts at restitution towards those he hurt (apologizing to Durkon).
    3. Is likely engaging in introspection about his other misdeeds ("Hardcore Introspection").
    4. Is actively changing his behavior in light of the above (Seeing Elan in this strip).
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-11-26 at 09:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The magic quarantine of the Godsmoot blocks communication spells. V is not contacting Veldrina.
    My guess is V learned something from Durkon, and is trying to be a better parent by writing postcards to their children.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-11-26 at 09:30 PM.