New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

You're focusing on the worst case scenario, and ignoring all the ways it could be helpful as a result.

So, ways in which it could be helpful. Prevents discriminatory policies against trans-people, less awkwardness when a parent has to take their opposite-gender child to the restroom, and some places won't put baby-changing stations in all restrooms, sometimes just the female ones.

As a comparison point, are you opposed to airplanes? Or any sort of heavy-machinery including cars?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2020-08-19 at 10:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I did explain. You hand-waved it away as "that's different" without really extrapolating (well, on the second example. The first example you just didn't address at all). Not much more I can add, really; I think I've summed it up as well as I could.
    My whole problem with unisex bathrooms is that some people who want to make out with other people in a predatory way in which some people are very vulnerable to be a target as a victim.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's different. But I find it very odd in that man and woman wants to share the bathroom together if they have an opportunity to flirt with each other in a predatory way. That my whole issue with that. I'm sorry but not sorry for expressing my strong opinions on that. If you think that my argument is wrong with that note then please explain to me. Maybe I might change my opinion but I still stand what I said.
    Separated bathrooms do not stop determined predators currently. So, the very few fringe cases where someone would do it in a unisex bathroom, compared to separated bathrooms... it's not necessarily a reason to discount an entire idea. Which basically doubles the amount of bathrooms available to everyone, and, as a bonus, makes people who do not conform to the stereotypical cisgender gender binary (appearance-wise or otherwise) more comfortable - everyone's just in one place.

It's similar to the arguments about allowing transgender people in the correct bathrooms. Studies have repeatedly shown that that does not noticeably increase issues of assault or anything else. (And that's even discounting the fact that disallowing transmen into the men's washroom keeps men in with the women.)

And as Peelee said, there's more than just male on female assault and harassment.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Colossus in the Playground

My whole problem with unisex bathrooms is that some people who want to make out with other people in a predatory way in which some people are very vulnerable to be a target as a victim.
    Guess you better burn your house down, since it has a unisex bathroom in it.

Anyway, I just spent a good amount of time watching Owl House because I heard that there was some cute lesbians in it (and there are) but also it's just really damn good. Highly recommended.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    You're focusing on the worst case scenario, and ignoring all the ways it could be helpful as a result.

So, ways in which it could be helpful. Prevents discriminatory policies against trans-people, less awkwardness when a parent has to take their opposite-gender child to the restroom, and some places won't put baby-changing stations in all restrooms, sometimes just the female ones.

As a comparison point, are you opposed to airplanes? Or any sort of heavy-machinery including cars?
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Separated bathrooms do not stop determined predators currently. So, the very few fringe cases where someone would do it in a unisex bathroom, compared to separated bathrooms... it's not necessarily a reason to discount an entire idea. Which basically doubles the amount of bathrooms available to everyone, and, as a bonus, makes people who do not conform to the stereotypical cisgender gender binary (appearance-wise or otherwise) more comfortable - everyone's just in one place.

It's similar to the arguments about allowing transgender people in the correct bathrooms. Studies have repeatedly shown that that does not noticeably increase issues of assault or anything else. (And that's even discounting the fact that disallowing transmen into the men's washroom keeps men in with the women.)

And as Peelee said, there's more than just male on female assault and harassment.
    Ok that a fair and valid argument and point. Maybe I was very closed-minded about unisex bathrooms. I'm sorry everybody.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-08-19 at 10:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

Ok that a fair and value argument and point. Maybe I was very closed-minded about unisex bathrooms. I'm sorry everybody.
    It's understandable. We're taught that things are a certain way, and that's the way they should be, and other ways are bad. It's good that you were able to challenge your preconceptions and learn!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

It's understandable. We're taught that things are a certain way, and that's the way they should be, and other ways are bad. It's good that you were able to challenge your preconceptions and learn!
    This very much did n not give me issues coming to terms with my identity.

But yeah, I have recently seen such arguments used to oppress people in the real world. If I'd still been awake I likely wouldn't have been as nice as people have been.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This very much did n not give me issues coming to terms with my identity.

But yeah, I have recently seen such arguments used to oppress people in the real world. If I'd still been awake I likely wouldn't have been as nice as people have been.
    Yeah, it's frustrating that assumed defaults can tend to lead to people dismissing things because it's not matching the norm. And that it can dissuade people from self-introspection, too. It's nice to see a bit more of a shift in the general populace towards stuff like that, but there's still a long way to go. It's an uphill climb, but progress, at least is being made.

...I know that's not the most comforting speech ever, but I'm bad at comforting. >.>;

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

I know Dark souls is hardly the most realistic game out there.

But I feel like even things that are not technically alive should be 'killed' by having the head of a scythe shoved longways through them.

It just seems wildly detrimental to the whole idea of continuing to exist.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I had a night of weird dreams, interrupted by a phone call from the GIC's psychotherapist, who told me I was meant to have an appointment. I couldn't find the letter listing my appointments, or an email for setting up a video appointment (it's going to be resent).

So, that's no therapy call for me this month. FML.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's frustrating that assumed defaults can tend to lead to people dismissing things because it's not matching the norm. And that it can dissuade people from self-introspection, too. It's nice to see a bit more of a shift in the general populace towards stuff like that, but there's still a long way to go. It's an uphill climb, but progress, at least is being made.

...I know that's not the most comforting speech ever, but I'm bad at comforting. >.>;
    Oh, don't worry, I've come to terms with it. I'm just upset that there's so much resistance to helping other people sort it all out.

Blasphemy time' Earthsea is just better than Lord of the Rings.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #822
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are you comparing a series of novels and short stories with a single novel in three volumes, or are you comparing TV and movie adaptations of each?

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

I want to be angry but I haven’t read Earthsea yet, so I can’t.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Me too, I've even bought myself a copy to read to my kid, but his to young yet so for know I'm waiting, I hope in half a year I will be able to read him Hobbit : P

15. - Top - End - #825

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Are you comparing a series of novels and short stories with a single novel in three volumes, or are you comparing TV and movie adaptations of each?
    Categorizing LOTR as one extremely long book honestly makes the comparison worse in Earthsea's favour. The LOTR books are dense and bloated in ways that any editor would be able to point out as being "eeeh". Consolidating all three books as one large mega-book makes all of the problems LOTR DOES have come off as way, way worse.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Categorizing LOTR as one extremely long book honestly makes the comparison worse in Earthsea's favour. The LOTR books are dense and bloated in ways that any editor would be able to point out as being "eeeh". Consolidating all three books as one large mega-book makes all of the problems LOTR DOES have come off as way, way worse.
    Yeah, this. Looking just at the literature, Earthsea is faster paced and tighter, and at least to me explore more interesting ideas. While you could argue that Lord of the Rings is the better story, it's presented more poorly and that matters a lot in a book.

Adaptation wise Earthsea has had the short end of the stick, with the terrible TV movie duology, passable Ghibli film, and Ms sauce okay I've not listened to them BBC radio dramas. Lord of the Rings meanwhile has two excellent adaptations and the mediocre Peter Jackson films, plus a fairly poor musical and the lost BBC 6.5 hour radio treatment.

Show

17. - Top - End - #827

Lizardfolk

What's the whole point of having unisex bathrooms in the first place anyway? I find it very cringe and strange.
    As a nonbinary person uh... I find the idea of Unisex bathrooms.. less cringe and strange.
    Although, granted, as someone who lives in a place with quite a few unisex public bathrooms, and doesn't use any public bathrooms at all.. My opinion may be less valid.
    Last edited by Wizard_Lizard; 2020-08-20 at 02:50 PM.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wow, you really want to change the subject, but OK, I'll bite.

Are you talking about the original Earthsea trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore), or are you including the two novels LeGuin wrote much later (Tehanu and The Other Wind)?

IMHO, the first two were very good. They had a bit the opposite problem of LOTR, in that they were too taciturn, too little description, but I agree they were very good. They had a moral complexity that LOTR lacked. The third was good as well, though I always found it a little too phantasmagorical for me.

I didn't like the last two. I know LeGuin was looking back at her early works, and seeing the problems with them. I can even see the problems with them (the un-examined sexism of "only men can be wizards"). But it felt like she wanted to just burn the whole thing down, turn Ged into a pathetic old fool because she didn't like her earlier worldbuilding. I disliked the last two in direct proportion to how much I liked the first three. She wasn't allowing the readers to keep the things that were good and beautiful about the first three; in her determination to deconstruct her old mistakes, she deconstructed everything else. I dunno, I only read the last two once because I disliked them so, but that was my feeling at the time.

I do like LOTR, despite many flaws there as well. (The complete lack of moral complexity, because Sauron is just evil with no other features and because the orcs are born evil so it's OK to kill them; the lack of female characters; the sometimes overly-long descriptions; the way Gandalf coming back feels like a cheat.) It still makes you feel like there's a world there, a world with size and history (so much history) and depth and texture, and that's something few other authors do as well as Tolkien.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    As a nonbinary person uh... I find the idea of Unisex bathrooms.. less cringe and strange.
    Although, granted, as someone who lives in a place with quite a few unisex public bathrooms, and doesn't use any public bathrooms at all.. My opinion may be less valid.
    I didn't know that you were non-binary. I always thought that you were a guy. Interesting.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know that you were non-binary. I always thought that you were a guy. Interesting.
    Why does this seem to apply as a general rule? If you don't continually radiate girl vibes or have short hair people will assume you're male.

Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Why does this seem to apply as a general rule? If you don't continually radiate girl vibes or have short hair people will assume you're male.
    That's a societal issue that is waaaaay too fraught with real world stuff to properly discuss here.

Suffice to say, it's a problem and needs fixed.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Not all men have short hair.

23. - Top - End - #833

Case in point: I knew a young man through middle and high school whose hair was cut short in the eighth grade... And from the day I met him he never got a haircut.

By the time we graduated the hair on his head was literally down past his thighs.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Not all men have short hair.
    I'm not saying they do. But it's the thing that gets me called Miss most often, despite only being shoulder length.

I want a sailor fuku. But I need to lose weight before I'd look good in one.

Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm not saying they do. But it's the thing that gets me called Miss most often, despite only being shoulder length.

I want a sailor fuku. But I need to lose weight before I'd look good in one.
    Have you ever corrected them by saying that you're not a woman?

26. - Top - End - #836

PirateCaptain

*Desperately rummaging through the filing system in my brain looking for a new topic*
    Politics, politics, religion, politics, religious politics, ah!

Mayonaise-flavoured ice cream: yay or nay?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    *Desperately rummaging through the filing system in my brain looking for a new topic*
    Politics, politics, religion, politics, religious politics, ah!

Mayonaise-flavoured ice cream: yay or nay?
    We already have that conversation for so many threads ago. To answer your question......I don't know.

28. - Top - End - #838

Lizardfolk

I've had other people on the internetland assume I'm a girl too so I dunno.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I've had other people on the internetland assume I'm a girl too so I dunno.
    I've just kind of assumed that you were a magical reptile.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

30. - Top - End - #840

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I've just kind of assumed that you were a magical reptile.
    Well I mean.. you're not wrong.. I'm just a non-binary magical reptile...
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.