New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Tuesday 26th January:

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So after all of this time of trying to make those two a thing... who else feels like those two have no real chemistry?
    Wednesday 27th January:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph Jacques
    No, they totally have chemistry! Look, this person who I just invented says so! You don't need to see it happen if a random stranger says so, right!?
    Not for the first time, I am wondering if Jeph reads this forum in disguise.... Either that or its a question that has been asked by more than one person as of late. I'm not sure which is better.

I hope that Clinton tells Willow to get lost. This is exactly the sort of behaviour that Claire indulged in that got them into a fight, and she had the benefit of being his sister and knowing enough about him to make an educated assumption; Strange women approaching you in the street distributing opinions is no basis for a system of romance!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-01-27 at 04:44 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I hope that Clinton tells Willow to get lost. This is exactly the sort of behaviour that Claire indulged in that got them into a fight, and she had the benefit of being his sister and knowing enough about him to make an educated assumption; Strange women approaching you in the street distributing opinions is no basis for a system of romance!
    Yes, I hope so too. That woman who's name I already forgot, sticks her nose where it doesn't belong and should be told so in no uncertain terms.
    However I feel, Jeph is gonna use this as a "Clinton making friends" scene, and we'll be seeing those three again

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

And here, Clinton takes a cue from Marten and being stalked into friendship.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So after all of this time of trying to make those two a thing... who else feels like those two have no real chemistry?
    I see no chemistry here, just awkwardness and Elliot being vaguely attracted.

To me, there's a growing sense of this being a sort of "obligatory relationship" to fill a spot on the representation bingo card.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Tuesday 26th January:

Wednesday 27th January:

Not for the first time, I am wondering if Jeph reads this forum in disguise.... Either that or its a question that has been asked by more than one person as of late. I'm not sure which is better.

Though I guess it works for acquiring monarchs.

But yeah. This one feels even worse because this person has seen pretty much nothing of them, so who is she to talk about their relationship? A relationship needs more than "he cute". Visual appeal works as a starting point, but for there to be chemistry they have to share at least some interest, that isn't a third person they're both pining for at least.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I see no chemistry here, just awkwardness and Elliot being vaguely attracted.

To me, there's a growing sense of this being a sort of "obligatory relationship" to fill a spot on the representation bingo card.
    I somehow doubt it. Jeph clearly thinks there's chemistry there, regardless of what we think.

Regardless, "Willow Dragonfang?" One, I hope that's a self-granted moniker, and two, even then that's the kind of thing I thought you outgrew at 23. Yes, I am aware that I'm saying that on an elfgame-centric webcomics message board while bearing a handle derived from a ~35 year old comic from the back of Dragon magazine.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-01-27 at 10:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937

Griffon

Well, this is a Meet-Cute if ever I've seen one.

....Goddammit.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Regardless, "Willow Dragonfang?" One, I hope that's a self-granted moniker, and two, even then that's the kind of thing I thought you outgrew at 23. Yes, I am aware that I'm saying that on an elfgame-centric webcomics message board while bearing a handle derived from a ~35 year old comic from the back of Dragon magazine.
    This is the comic that named an AI Police Officer Roko Basilisk. The 'referential names in extremely poor taste' bridge was crossed long ago.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #939
    Colossus in the Playground

I somehow doubt it. Jeph clearly thinks there's chemistry there, regardless of what we think.

Keep in mind most of the people we deal with are around college age in this comic, so growing out of a name at 23 is still possible. These arent a bunch of midlife crisis suffering 40-50 year olds or anything.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #940

Further evidence for my theory that this comic takes place in a world without the concept of personal boundaries.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #941

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Keep in mind most of the people we deal with are around college age in this comic, so growing out of a name at 23 is still possible. These arent a bunch of midlife crisis suffering 40-50 year olds or anything.
    Kind of justified in that baby AIs don't have names; they have serial numbers until they form enough of a personality to understand the concept of 'name' and choose one for themselves; they have no frame of reference except that which they have picked up along with their sentience, so a weird name (by our standards) for an AI is almost a part of their shared culture.

"Willow Dragonfang", however, is a Tumblr handle. Either that or her parents were seriously New-Age-Hippy-types, for which that alone validates their shunning from society.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan
    Further evidence for my theory that this comic takes place in a world without the concept of personal boundaries.
    Martin and Clinton are the only two to have successfully made the Quantum Leap from their own universe, where 'privacy' is more than just 17 points in a game of Scrabble. Arguably they may have picked up Sven along the way from the Inconsiderate Horndog Dimension, but it's hard to tell.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-01-28 at 08:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Right, her age is stated in todays comic. My point is that it sounds to me like something you start calling yourself at 14-16, and grow out of by 18-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    This is the comic that named an AI Police Officer Roko Basilisk. The 'referential names in extremely poor taste' bridge was crossed long ago.
    Well yes (although as previously pointed out, the AIs seem to be different from the humans in that regard), QC is clearly just in general a weirder universe than ours (this part not even being one of the weirder).

Well, this is a Meet-Cute if ever I've seen one.
    ....Goddammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    To be fair, the one super-constant of the strip is that it follows sitcom logic, and I could easily see this kind of thing happening to Pheobe from Friends or one of the Big Bang Theory guys or whatnot.

Now, given that the Brun-Clinton-Elliot threesome ship has been sunk, how quickly do you think Willow will be subbed in for a sizable chunk of Jeph's fanbase?

13. - Top - End - #943
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It already feels like Clinton has more chemistry with Willow than with Elliot. Not the least of which because Clinton x Elliot would kind of feel forced to me, especially when it feels like some characters are pressuring Clinton into it more than anything else.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    It already feels like Clinton has more chemistry with Willow than with Elliot. Not the least of which because Clinton x Elliot would kind of feel forced to me, especially when it feels like some characters are pressuring Clinton into it more than anything else.
    I thought it was just me. Although I think Clinton x Elliot would still make a really cute couple, but shipping instincts have never really cared about what the author wants to happen.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #945

Griffon

To be fair, the one super-constant of the strip is that it follows sitcom logic, and I could easily see this kind of thing happening to Phoebe from Friends or one of the Big Bang Theory guys or whatnot.
    I think that my only objection to that particular situation is that in the examples given, every single character referred to is a toxic narcissist and I loathe them. Just that, nothing huge

Seriously though, they're horrible people who bring suffering to themselves and everyone around them and the archetypes that they have spawned are a blight upon popular culture. It isn't "cute" to fetishize gay people and manipulate them into a relationship purely for one's own hobby/amusement, especially when they're so clearly as uncomfortable as Elliot and Clinton. They're the nigh-textbook example of two people who need to get their lives in order and figure themselves out before embarking on ANY kind of relationship - even Faye and Dora worked that one out, and they're dumbasses

In fact, this Willow character is putting me in mind of What's-Her-Face; Faye's sister's girlfriend, the one who no one had ever met before, but immediately took it upon herself to steer Faye into a course of action for which Girlfriend approved but otherwise had no significant details or context. I don't think that *anyone* liked that scene which was little more than a crowbar to the kneecaps of the story, so hopefully we aren't going to get a re-tread.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

I think that my only objection to that particular situation is that in the examples given, every single character referred to is a toxic narcissist and I loathe them. Just that, nothing huge

Seriously though, they're horrible people who bring suffering to themselves and everyone around them and the archetypes that they have spawned are a blight upon popular culture. It isn't "cute" to fetishize gay people and manipulate them into a relationship purely for one's own hobby/amusement, especially when they're so clearly as uncomfortable as Elliot and Clinton. They're the nigh-textbook example of two people who need to get their lives in order and figure themselves out before embarking on ANY kind of relationship - even Faye and Dora worked that one out, and they're dumbasses

In fact, this Willow character is putting me in mind of What's-Her-Face; Faye's sister's girlfriend, the one who no one had ever met before, but immediately took it upon herself to steer Faye into a course of action for which Girlfriend approved but otherwise had no significant details or context. I don't think that *anyone* liked that scene which was little more than a crowbar to the kneecaps of the story, so hopefully we aren't going to get a re-tread.

Since it would probably go way off topic fast, is this thing with 90s sitcom characters being "toxic narcissists" broken down anywhere?

It's been a long time since I watched any of those shows.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Since it would probably go way off topic fast, is this thing with 90s sitcom characters being "toxic narcissists" broken down anywhere?

It's been a long time since I watched any of those shows.
    Not a big sitcom person here, but it sounds like what I'd call "Seinfeld Syndrome". In the final episode of Seinfeld they're put on trial for being horrible people by every person they've screwed over the course of the series. While the Seinfeld cast are more horrible than most the same principle can be applied to other sitcoms. When you look at their actions under any kind of real-world analysis they come off as terrible people. They don't talk about their problems, they come up with a zany scheme. They insult each other, they cheat on each other, etc. etc.

Sitcom characters in general tend to go for what they want above all else, act in ways that would burn any normal relationship to the ground, and then get forgiven at the end of the episode with an "Awwwww" from the laugh track.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Not a big sitcom person here, but it sounds like what I'd call "Seinfeld Syndrome". In the final episode of Seinfeld they're put on trial for being horrible people by every person they've screwed over the course of the series. While the Seinfeld cast are more horrible than most the same principle can be applied to other sitcoms. When you look at their actions under any kind of real-world analysis they come off as terrible people. They don't talk about their problems, they come up with a zany scheme. They insult each other, they cheat on each other, etc. etc.

Sitcom characters in general tend to go for what they want above all else, act in ways that would burn any normal relationship to the ground, and then get forgiven at the end of the episode with an "Awwwww" from the laugh track.
    I get why the Seinfeld characters were considered horrible -- I found the show largely unwatchable.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You know what, I have to give it to Jeph Jacques, he has a system that works for him. Every once in awhile he just decides "I'm going to draw some new people, and if I like how the new people look, they're gonna become characters with names and all. Maybe they'll join the main crew, maybe they'll just hover around the edges for a week or so, who's to say! Also they will almost all be quirky females because this is my world and that's what I like to draw."

I want to stress as hard as possible that none of the above is intended as a criticism. QC's lasted a *long* time in large part because of the above - rotating in new characters with new problems and perspectives means that older characters can actually settle into relationships and enjoy their character development without internal conflict constantly rearing its ugly head and resetting the status quo (which so often leads to "How the hell are these people still friends after all that" syndrome that plagues a lot of long-running webcomics, sitcoms, etc.).

Yeah, sometimes I miss old characters that Jeph clearly ran out of material for (*holds up a milk carton with Raven's face on the side*) but I'm content with QC doing its thing.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    You know what, I have to give it to Jeph Jacques, he has a system that works for him. Every once in awhile he just decides "I'm going to draw some new people, and if I like how the new people look, they're gonna become characters with names and all. Maybe they'll join the main crew, maybe they'll just hover around the edges for a week or so, who's to say! Also they will almost all be quirky females because this is my world and that's what I like to draw."

I want to stress as hard as possible that none of the above is intended as a criticism. QC's lasted a *long* time in large part because of the above - rotating in new characters with new problems and perspectives means that older characters can actually settle into relationships and enjoy their character development without internal conflict constantly rearing its ugly head and resetting the status quo (which so often leads to "How the hell are these people still friends after all that" syndrome that plagues a lot of long-running webcomics, sitcoms, etc.).

Yeah, sometimes I miss old characters that Jeph clearly ran out of material for (*holds up a milk carton with Raven's face on the side*) but I'm content with QC doing its thing.
    It's a strategy that has its upsides and downsides. He introduced 3 library interns to give Marten something to do. He liked writing Claire and Emily but couldn't figure out anything to do with Gabby, so Gabby was quietly written out eaten by an allosaurus. Claire turned into one of my favorite characters, while Emily just became Raven 2.0 and never evolved beyond "lolrandom".

Heck, go all the way back. Hannelore was just a random chick Marten met at a bar.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In this particular case I feel like Clinton has enough unresolved issues that adding a new character to his story isn't the best idea.

21. - Top - End - #951

We can just pray that Emily and Raven never meet. I don't think the universe could handle it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    We can just pray that Emily and Raven never meet. I don't think the universe could handle it.
    The cast page, after literal years of terminal inaccuracy, actually got updated recently. Raven was downgraded into the 'deprecated characters' category. So a meeting, or in fact any appearance by Raven at all, is unlikely.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The cast page, after literal years of terminal inaccuracy, actually got updated recently. Raven was downgraded into the 'deprecated characters' category. So a meeting, or in fact any appearance by Raven at all, is unlikely.
    There's a cast page?

The comic's front page doesn't seem to have a link to it.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's a cast page?

The comic's front page doesn't seem to have a link to it.
    Its in the very top row, between ABout and Merchandise

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Its in the very top row, between About and Merchandise
    Ah, have to allow the site's scripts to run.

OK, that's a little sad seeing some of the characters who've been shoved into "might never see again" in favor of more Melon, Lemon, and whoever these new random goofs are.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Bugbear in the Playground

:reads the cast page:

Marigold's surname is actually Farmer?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    :reads the cast page:

Marigold's surname is actually Farmer?
    Yeah, Jeph thought he was clever giving her a WoW name joke.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #958

When on earth did Tilly start dating Station?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    When on earth did Tilly start dating Station?
    I acknowledge the stupid dad joke I could make, but I’ll show restraint and just say that we learned that things were at least headed that way last time we saw Tilly talking to Hanners.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

30. - Top - End - #960

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I acknowledge the stupid dad joke I could make
    rackum frackum walked into that didn't I hmmph
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show