New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

I did mean the Good Daedra when I referred to the restored Tribunal. I think their proper terms are technically the New Tribunal and the Reclamations, but I was blanking on the exact terms used by the temple on Solstheim at the time.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

I am a member of the Bards College trained by (name of DB contracted bard) give me the throne or I'll sing at you.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I am a member of the Bards College trained by (name of DB contracted bard) give me the throne or I'll sing at you.
    Fuuuus! Roooooohhhhh! Daaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! *jazz hands*
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Fuuuus! Roooooohhhhh! Daaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! *jazz hands*
    I was thinking the 1812 Overture, but with 'FUS!' in place of cannon fire.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    We can joke, but having access to a loyal propaganda machine like the Bard's college is probably worth more than almost anything else if you're trying to seize power.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    We can joke, but having access to a loyal propaganda machine like the Bard's college is probably worth more than almost anything else if you're trying to seize power.
    I think the bard's college has made it quite clear that they dont serve the king as his own personal propaganda machine. Youll have to genuinely earn the praise.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think the bard's college has made it quite clear that they dont serve the king as his own personal propaganda machine. Youll have to genuinely earn the praise.
    Which presumably you've done.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Colossus in the Playground

Which presumably you've done.
    Yeah, you got that holiday reinstated and found the missing instruments or three guys. What more could you do?

And honestly when the King is a member of the Bards College and friends with several bards tha'ts a different matter than the Bards working for a king who doesn't care.

"Hey, our buddy did a genuinely impressive thing, let's make sure people know about it" isn't propaganda, even if the buddy in question is the King.

Also, "find people you can trust to handle the day to ay stuff while you rule from the front, traveling the country to make sure your people are safe and evil is vanquished" isn't exactly a bad way to be King.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yeah, you got that holiday reinstated and found the missing instruments or three guys. What more could you do?

And honestly when the King is a member of the Bards College and friends with several bards tha'ts a different matter than the Bards working for a king who doesn't care.

"Hey, our buddy did a genuinely impressive thing, let's make sure people know about it" isn't propaganda, even if the buddy in question is the King.

Also, "find people you can trust to handle the day to ay stuff while you rule from the front, traveling the country to make sure your people are safe and evil is vanquished" isn't exactly a bad way to be King.
    I mean, my Dragonborn did a few more things than that. Maybe yours didn't.

Also, propaganda doesn't have to be inherently untrue. It can be as simple as playing up your good traits and not mentioning the bad ones.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, my Dragonborn did a few more things than that. Maybe yours didn't.
    Not Rater, but in my mind, the several guild questlines and daedric quests are absolutely not in the same "canon". The dragonborn MIGHT have joined the Thieves' Guild and the Companions, but never explicitly both, plus the Dark Brotherhood and the College.

I do this to cope with the fact that the guilds take any old idiot as long as they see the main character life bar above their head.

11. - Top - End - #1391

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Not Rater, but in my mind, the several guild questlines and daedric quests are absolutely not in the same "canon". The dragonborn MIGHT have joined the Thieves' Guild and the Companions, but never explicitly both, plus the Dark Brotherhood and the College.

I do this to cope with the fact that the guilds take any old idiot as long as they see the main character's life bar above their head.
    That might be the case in previous games, but in Skyrim the main questline actively directs you to join both the Thieves Guild and the college.

You can bypass this, but it's clearly not the intended way of doing so.

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's guild cross-reference each other, while the Dark Brotherhood also has a reference to the Companions.

The only questline that isn't either tied to the main questline or cross-reference with another faction quest is the Companions.

you are also required to join and progress all the factions in order to get certain words of power, that are in dungeons that are locked off until they get opened up during a Faction quest. The exception is the Dark brotherhood, since it only has the word Wall in their sanctuary, you can get the word by destroying them as well.

It very much seems that the intent of Skyrim is that you do every questline.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

That's modern Bethesda for you,obsessed with the idea that you miss out on some (gasp!) content.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

That might be the case in previous games, but in Skyrim the main questline actively directs you to join both the Thieves Guild
    Does it? I don't remember that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It directs you to talk with Brynjolf to find Esbern, but doesnt explicitly require you to actually join the guild. Bryn will only tell you where he is if you become at least associated with them though.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's not direct.

When you have to find Esbern in the Ratway you're instructed to talk to Brynyolf, but talking to him under normal circumstances will automatically start his own quest, and if you start his quest then you can't progress the quest o find Esbern until you complete his quest and join the Thieve guild.

This isn't a problem if you're already in the guild, and there are a couple of ways to bypass this, but the intent is clear.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's not direct.

When you have to find Esbern in the Ratway you're instructed to talk to Brynyolf, but talking to him under normal circumstances will automatically start his own quest, and if you start his quest then you can't progress the quest o find Esbern until you complete his quest and join the Thieve guild.

This isn't a problem if you're already in the guild, and there are a couple of ways to bypass this, but the intent is clear.
    I'd just like to point out that you arent properly in the guild until a couple quests later. I think its the Goldenglow hit where you fully become a member instead of just an affiliate thief.

17. - Top - End - #1397

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I'd just like to point out that you arent properly in the guild until a couple quests later. I think its the Goldenglow hit where you fully become a member instead of just an affiliate thief.
    I mean, you're doing jobs for the guild, so... I'd say more of a "junior member" or an "initiation period" situation rather than being an affiliate.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, you're doing jobs for the guild, so... I'd say more of a "junior member" or an "initiation period" situation rather than being an affiliate.
    Sure, but you do jobs for the guild to get in to the guild anyway. The distinction is semantic, youre not considered a full member.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    I do this to cope with the fact that the guilds take any old idiot as long as they see the main character life bar above their head.
    They do explain why though.

The Companions nominally accept anyone who can fight and see how they work out, though in the DBs case Kodlak also had a prophetic dream about them. You could literally show up as a farmboy turned mercenary and they'd at least see if you have what it takes.

The College of Winterhold accepts any applicants who can cast spells and approach them under the pretense of learning more.

The Dark Brotherhood are desperate and want to hire basically anyone who'll kill people and do as they're told.

The Thieves Guild are even more desperate and Brynjolf had a hunch that you'd work out, and at this point what does he have to lose?

The rapid advancement in each guild comes down to special circumstances, the College is the only organisation that's actually healthy prior to the Dragonborn's involvement, and they then, at the urging of the NPC students, stumble into what would have been disastrous circumstances without your presence.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Of the lot the only one I find jarring is the Thieves' Guild. You walk into Riften and Brynjolf walks up to a guy who's been in the city 30 seconds and says "PSST! Wanna be a thief!?"

It's ridiculous. Leave rumors that there is a Thieves' Guild about and make me go look for them. Preferably with some sneaky checks. Make me find Brynjolf's squat in the sewers, pick the lock on the door and then sneak up on him. Something like that.

Or have something like the Thieves' Sign from the Quest For Glory games where you can impress a thief elsewhere in the game enough that he sends you to Riften to be inducted.

21. - Top - End - #1401

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Of the lot the only one I find jarring is the Thieves' Guild. You walk into Riften and Brynjolf walks up to a guy who's been in the city 30 seconds and says "PSST! Wanna be a thief!?"
    And if only that was the most ridiculous thing about the entire Thieves' Guild questline we'd be doing well! Quite apart from anything else, is there a single thief in the Guild who, when you're forced to accompany them into a dungeon, actually does...you know...sneaky stuff? They all seem to run into the middle of the largest group of enemies around screaming taunts, get almost immediately knocked out and leave me to have to clean up the mess...

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Or have something like the Thieves' Sign from the Quest For Glory games where you can impress a thief elsewhere in the game enough that he sends you to Riften to be inducted.
    Haven’t played Quest for Glory so this may be unrelated, but they did go through all the trouble of putting Shadowmarks everywhere. A less obtrusive start to the quest line could have been ‘find and read the book describing Shadowmarks’ and then use that to find a building with the ‘Guild’ Shadowmark and either pick the lock or pickpocket a key for the building in question - which would both establish a basic level of relevant skills for your character and a willingness to break into places you weren’t invited into.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-07-05 at 04:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Requiring thief skills to join the Thieves' Guild?! Next, you'll say the Archmage of the College of Winterhold should be good at magic!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Banned

So speaking of Skyrim, I'm thinking of doing another run but I need a few mod recommendations. Firstly, I can't possibly motivate myself to do the normal intro through the point where you fight the giant spider thing, so I need a mod to skip all that while still letting my do the main quest later.

Secondly, I'd like something that fixes the level scaling. If I want to wander into something out of my depth and get punished for it, let me. Especially if the rewards are commensurate with the risk.

I'll probably grab some other quality of life mods too, but those are the biggest things. Thanks.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

So speaking of Skyrim, I'm thinking of doing another run but I need a few mod recommendations. Firstly, I can't possibly motivate myself to do the normal intro through the point where you fight the giant spider thing, so I need a mod to skip all that while still letting my do the main quest later.

Secondly, I'd like something that fixes the level scaling. If I want to wander into something out of my depth and get punished for it, let me. Especially if the rewards are commensurate with the risk.

I'll probably grab some other quality of life mods too, but those are the biggest things. Thanks.
    If by the giant spider thing you mean Bleak Falls Barrow, I'm not sure of mods that let you skip that, but Live Another Life is the most popular mod that lets you skip the Helgen sequence. There's also several mods that mostly undo level scaling: Morrowloot Ultimate is the one I use for that.

26. - Top - End - #1406

I'm sure there are console commands that can be used to put the golden claw and dragon stone in your inventory and mark the necessary questflags complete so you can complete those two quests without having to go to the barrow.

Not so sure about learning Fus though.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    If by the giant spider thing you mean Bleak Falls Barrow, I'm not sure of mods that let you skip that, but Live Another Life is the most popular mod that lets you skip the Helgen sequence. There's also several mods that mostly undo level scaling: Morrowloot Ultimate is the one I use for that.
    Does that remove level scaling for mobs too or just loot? I'd prefer both.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Does that remove level scaling for mobs too or just loot? I'd prefer both.
    It does both, though with more of a focus on loot. Skyrim Unleveled is a mod that focuses on the world and enemies, but it comes with some bigger combat changes, too.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And if only that was the most ridiculous thing about the entire Thieves' Guild questline we'd be doing well! Quite apart from anything else, is there a single thief in the Guild who, when you're forced to accompany them into a dungeon, actually does...you know...sneaky stuff? They all seem to run into the middle of the largest group of enemies around screaming taunts, get almost immediately knocked out and leave me to have to clean up the mess...
    One I have pointed out, in the Ancient Falmer quest, is "I've completed Dawnguard. Why do I have to sneak into Calcemo's Laboratory, again? I know an ancient Falmer. I can go ask him. He'll do it. He's lonely."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Haven’t played Quest for Glory so this may be unrelated, but they did go through all the trouble of putting Shadowmarks everywhere. A less obtrusive start to the quest line could have been ‘find and read the book describing Shadowmarks’ and then use that to find a building with the ‘Guild’ Shadowmark and either pick the lock or pickpocket a key for the building in question - which would both establish a basic level of relevant skills for your character and a willingness to break into places you weren’t invited into.
    The Thieves' Sign is a gesture that you use to identify yourself to other thieves. A sort of sneaky salute that identifies you in a way that nobody who isn't a guild member would recognize.

This being Quest For Glory, that gesture is patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.