New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1247 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    Does the fact that V was targeted with a mind-effecting beam mean that Serini's knowledge of the Order does not extend to the day-to-day level, or did V just get lucky?
    I have my doubts that V's assessment is accurate. I think that the beam had some effect that wasn't immediately apparent.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I’d be glad to see that if she wasn’t making the protagonists look entirely incompetent in comparison. About the only thing the Order’s legitimately achieved through skill here is getting Sunny to blink and Haley kicking Serini down to the floor. And she got out of all of that as well.
    This is a comical strip. Having the protagonists looking entirely incompetent is totally normal and in-character for them.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

So, at this rate, next we should get a darkmantle, a gelatinous cube in a square hole, two dozens variety of mimics and some umber hulks int he walls ? :p

Seriously tho, while i don't mind that Serini, the epic level rogue, easily evade the order in the dungeon she herself filled with traps and monsters, that make sense to me, this particular page felt a little like filler-y to me. Am i the only one ?
    (Yeah V being pendat is cute and the joke at overanlalysis was funny but still not enough to make the page for me). I just kinda hope the rest of the chasse, if it keeps going on, is handled with either a montage page or mostly offscreen with occasional close in while we get to see something else.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2021-11-01 at 09:12 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Locnil View Post
    I keep forgetting that V's character development didn't include learning to be concise.
    V is for Verbose
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    So Serini is friends with lots of monsters, I get it. But doesn't it seem most of them are pretty old D&D canon?
    Ain't it great?
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Belkar's the one to suggest NOT to kill. Yep. Nothing wrong there.
    Is this along the lines of "Belkar's acting like a Ranger, we're doomed!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The creature that fell on V is likely a Lurker Above, one of several Gygaxian creations that depended on adventurers rushing ahead without checking the ceiling (like V did.)
    Ain't it great?
    Does the fact that V was targeted with a mind-effecting beam mean that Serini's knowledge of the Order does not extend to the day-to-day level, or did V just get lucky?
    V was prepared for a different threat (Xykon) - this threat is a lesser included case. Sometimes, "luck" means that preparation meets situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    wait, you can have a wand of dimdoor? Sweet! I want one!
    My bard does also (5e). She's been swallowed by a purple worm, and a kraken. (Yes, she had to burn a spell slot to DD out of each one of those).

Belkar: back to being comic relief. Good!

Thank you Giant!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    This is a comical strip. Having the protagonists looking entirely incompetent is totally normal and in-character for them.
    Yes, but up until the last book they actually were fairly competent. This one rolled them right back to Blood Runs In the Family, if not earlier.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

This one's fantastic. Love both Belkar's quips and V's indignant pedantry. "You circumvented my bubble!" is so delightful.

I’d be glad to see that if she wasn’t making the protagonists look entirely incompetent in comparison. About the only thing the Order’s legitimately achieved through skill here is getting Sunny to blink and Haley kicking Serini down to the floor. And she got out of all of that as well.
    Really, you think this fight has made the Order look incompetent? They had the deck stacked against them in a nasty ambush with cheesed tactics, and they turned it completely around and even sent the ambusher herself into full retreat. That feels pretty darn competent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    I am really annoyed by V's behavior at this juncture. Just running/flying ahead like that, without even checking their surroundings. Whatever happened to basic adventurer paranoia, though? It's like these people have never had a ceiling come to life and try to smother them before!

If that's an intentional callback, it's a great one

All jokes aside, I'm loving this group dynamic. We've already seen Haley & V and also Haley & Belkar, but all three of them together (plus some character growth) makes for a fun skillset and decision-making mentality.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    So, at this rate, next we should get a darkmantle, a gelatinous cube in square hole, two dozens variety of mimics and some umber hulks int he walls ? :p
    Seriously tho, while i dodn't mind that Serini, the epic level rogue, easily evade the order in the dungeon she herself filled with trps and monsters, that make sense, this particular page felt a little filler. Kinda hope the rest of the chasse, if it keeps going on, is handled with either a montage page or mostly offscreen with occasional close in while we get to see something else.
    I believe this is a case of one getting spoiled from reading one page at a time over the course of weeks. Once we are reading it on the bulk, as part of a story it will flow more naturally.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

V wasn't targeted with a mind effecting beam. Haley moved her out of the way of one beam, but this made another beam hit V instead.

I also want to say, I agree with everybody who liked Vs pedantic response to the burst the bubble pun and Belkars last comment.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but up until the last book they actually were fairly competent. This one rolled them right back to Blood Runs In the Family, if not earlier.
    Blood in the family had Elan and Durkon failing to recognize that Elan's father and Mallack were evil , Roy and Belkar getting defeated and then taken prisoner.

The previous arc had the whole party (Minus Belkar) actively helping vampire Durkon.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Blood in the family had Elan and Durkon failing to recognize that Elan's father and Mallack were evil , Roy and Belkar getting defeated and then taken prisoner.

The previous arc had the whole party (Minus Belkar) actively helping vampire Durkon.
    Yes, but the Dining Room fight actually feels legit; sure they blew their saves but it feels like they lost that one fair and square.

This fight feels like those preschool fights where the other guy makes up new rules on the spot.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The Order just repelled an ambush by an Epic rogue and a beholder in their home turf, I honestly don't see how this qualifies as incompetence.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but the Dining Room fight actually feels legit; sure they blew their saves but it feels like they lost that one fair and square.

This fight feels like those preschool fights where the other guy makes up new rules on the spot.
    Since we are arguing feeling I'll just say it doesn't feel that way to me
    Last edited by zinycor; 2021-11-01 at 09:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I don’t really see how the Order is going to accomplish anything with three separate epic factions on their ass, which is why I’m eager to see this threat at least overcome sooner rather than later.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t really see how the Order is going to accomplish anything with three separate epic factions on their ass, which is why I’m eager to see this threat at least overcome sooner rather than later.
    It's the beginning of the arc, that feeling is purposefully there

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    WAs that a shot from the giant to the forums there at the top? Love it!
    I, for one, very much appreciate the lampshading that how dispel rules were a little bent (still shouldn't have dispelled multiple spells from a single person for an area dispell, though :p ). It makes easier for me to not get hung up on the inconsistency and move on.

(Where's Blackwing?)
    Still outside on his perch among the snow, he never joined them in the cave. If at least one character maintained the telepathic bond after the dispel, they can still communicate with him.

Quote Originally Posted by internisus View Post
    I have my doubts that V's assessment is accurate. I think that the beam had some effect that wasn't immediately apparent.
    I mean, we pretty much know what are the effects of each and every one of Sunny's eyes (the effects are similar to the standard beholder, but they lack the finger of death and the inflict wounds eyes). None of the rays have delayed effects; 4 out of 8 rays are indeed mind-affecting (charm monster/person, sleep, fear), other 4 we would notice immediately (disintegrate, flesh to stone, slow, telekinesis)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

ROM NOM NOM

I need to remember that next time I get to drop something on the players.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Somebody specc'ed into Beast Heart Adept, I see...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Your mileage may vary. I, for one, feel like they're showing more competence here than in the second half of the Dining Room fight. They had a strong start with the chaos giraffes, but as soon as the vampires used Dispel Magic (a pretty predictable tactic) they were dead in the water. I don't necessarily feel they were incompetent in that fight, but I don't think they displayed any worse decision-making here. And in fact, I feel they've gotten demonstratably better at thinking on their feet and improvising.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Locnil View Post
    I keep forgetting that V's character development didn't include learning to be concise.
    V's character development doesn't seem to have included "listen to Haley." Which is odd, because Haley is V's closest confidante. I guess on matters of tactics V only listens to "Roy Big Hero Guy."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Your mileage may vary. I, for one, feel like they're showing more competence here than in the second half of the Dining Room fight. They had a strong start with the chaos giraffes, but as soon as the vampires used Dispel Magic (a pretty predictable tactic) they were dead in the water. I don't necessarily feel they were incompetent in that fight, but I don't think they displayed any worse decision-making here. And in fact, I feel they've gotten demonstratably better at thinking on their feet and improvising.
    By competent I mean “able to do crap”. They… haven’t actually done much because Serini keeps pulling out contingencies out her ass. Ten quatloos says that another of her monsters is trying to eat the rest of the Order right now.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

A Serini who's constantly pulling contingencies out of her ass is a Serini who isn't neutralizing/knocking out members of the Order. She's retreating - she's on the back foot.

Repelling an ambush does count as "doing crap," even if it's not a flashy, conclusive victory.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

By competent I mean “able to do crap”. They… haven’t actually done much because Serini keeps pulling out contingencies out her ass. Ten quatloos says that another of her monsters is trying to eat the rest of the Order right now.
    It seems to me that the Order is doing quite a bit - they've overcome everything that Serini has thrown at them and forced her to flee.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

23. - Top - End - #53

MindFlayer

To me this seems like this whole things is about to be over any second now.
    It's probably not a coincidence that Roy, Durkon and Minrah - aka the three lawful characters were left behind alongside Elan the childish member of the party who is least likely considering that sometimes things need to be done the hard way.

Haley, Belkar and V are far closer to Serini's mentality that they might actually start having a dialogue soon.

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Seriously tho, while i don't mind that Serini, the epic level rogue, easily evade the order in the dungeon she herself filled with traps and monsters, that make sense to me, this particular page felt a little like filler-y to me. Am i the only one ?
    It's not a filler, it's a setup.
    Last we saw them, the party split up and we saw what happened back with Sunny, now we are shifting to the other half of the party, so you need an establishing strip at the very least.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

They were fighting newly-born vampires then. Even if one of them was his goddess' High Priest, it was matched in power level.

Here they're fighting an epic rogue several levels above theirs, in her own dungeon, after giving her more than enough warning to prepare an ambush. That they managed to overcome the ambush at all is alreasy a success in itself.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Update. Aw yeah.

V getting trapped in the jaws of that Monster I Cannot Identify Because I Don't Play A Lot Of DnD reminds me of like, when people get rolled up into carpets.

Does that make sense? I doubt it.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    To be fair you were already tired of that approximately minus eleventy minutes after it started.

Serini needs to be competent.
    She's indeed great at stalling without accomplishing anything of substance.

I do find it interesting that she only popped 10-20ft. away from the bubble instead of taking the opportunity to blink 400ft. away. Does she not know her own dungeon that well, or is she luring them to something specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    It means two things
    - Serini's knowledge is pretty good, but not 100%, and anyway, Sunny decided which ray to use without her guidance.
    - The Giant wanted to poke at the over-analyzing ways of this forum, just a little bit

For my part, I just love this comic, in particular V's and Belkar's hilarious lines, and the super-cute little lurker!
    Alternatively, and hear me out on this one, Sunny is not Serini.

Quote Originally Posted by internisus View Post
    We know what all 8 of them do, so no.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-01 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #57

Is Belkar the most experienced dungeon crawler of the group?

Anyways, I think the past couple of strip is setting us up for a rogue on rogue game of cat and mouse. Haley seems to have the best grasp by far about what they may be dealing with, and circumstances seem to be setting her up to take the lead in organizing the chase party to go after their foe.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I’d be glad to see that if she wasn’t making the protagonists look entirely incompetent in comparison.
    Shes not. She's an epic level rogue with a home field advantage, fighting against people who were wholly unprepared for such a fight (in no small part due to her never answering their calls, and thus not confirming whether she was even alive, much less actively disinterested in their help).

Thst doesn't make them look incompetent. That's completely understandable, based on the setup. If someone sucker pinches you, that doesnt mean you're a bad fighter. That means you were caught unprepared.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

She's indeed great at stalling without accomplishing anything of substance.
    She’s also doing an excellent job at ensuring that the Order won’t be able to stop Xykon.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    Is Belkar the most experienced dungeon crawler of the group?
    I'd honestly put Haley above him but he's up there.

She’s also doing an excellent job at ensuring that the Order won’t be able to stop Xykon.
    I'll be fair here, that "ambush Xykon at the portal trap by ourselves with no help from the architect of the dungeon" plan had a pretty high chance of ending with Order Pizza. Getting a surprise round was better than a straight-up fight, but not by much.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-01 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)