New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - IC II

Mystery Box

To Dirk, 'I can't imagine he's short of space, although with Winterscale I suppose that anything's possible.' Anika had to wonder if Winterscale would have been so keen to give the contents of the storage locker away if he knew what was inside it. Perhaps he was so rich he still wouldn't care.

To Echo, 'In case anythings ... wrong. ' she'll wave her fingers around to imply everything that a psyker might be capable of seeing that she could not. 'I think we would all appreciate hearing about it. Anika will point towards the statue, 'Perhaps with that especially. I'm not quite sure what that is but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing we should leave lying around.'

The Astartes helmet did give Anika pause. She wasn't the sort of person to go in for holy relics but even the newer marks of helmet had every chance of being thousands of years old. Only archaeotech like the Port Davies map was likely to be older. To Macharius, 'I may need some help carrying this out of here. I think I'd break my neck if I actually tried to put it on.' The helmet looked like someone recovered it from a battlefield or else the warrior's chapter would likely have taken it with them.

The paintings might be more meaningful if she knew anything about their provenance. Unless the artist had bothered to sign them she'd need to look into that later.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Forbidden Lore (xenos) on the statue just in case
    Vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[50]

Scholastic Lore (Legend) to identify the mark of the astartes helmet
    Vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[93]

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ravia and the Cohort had been trailing along with the others.

While they waited outside the
    ++If you wish the Cohort could pack this all up and inventory it at the same time and we could load it all onto a Cargo hauler and better asses it elsewhere++
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Bastion Porphyr

His human eye widened slightly. Darkness. Shadow. Does he see Galimina? Or... Echo tried to calm himself and addressed each point.

"I care about care your welfare your because you are because important and loyal important loyal servants of the Imperium Imperium Imperium Imperium. I hope you I hope won't be in won't any real danger real, and that you you will help anyway will, but I mentioned mentioned my concern my as a courtesy courtesy. As for the the heretic's name heretic's, it is no it is great secret great. I did not did expect you to expect recognize him him, is all all, as he operates he in the Koronus Expanse Koronus. I have investigated I have back there there as well well, but my captain captain my captain has business in Calixis business, so here I am here. In any case any, the heretic's name name is Alessaunder Castermare Alessaunder Alessaunder Alessaunder. A Renegade Navigator Renegade.

"I have spoken I have to the Mechanicus to the a few times a few about this matter too about matter. They told me told what they could what. But their knowledge knowledge, while vast vast, is not the same is not as an Astropath's vision vision. In my search in my for answers answers and tools against tools my hated enemy hated enemy, I cast I a wide net wide net. My fellow Navis fellow. The Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus. The Administratum's records records. And now you now you. I will be thankful I will for whatever assistance whatever I can find find."

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained Scrutiny (27): (1d100)[52]

I'll be quite glad when I manage to get this skill properly.

Mystery Box

Why? Kennoch thought to himself as he stared down at the cooking appliances. Just...why, Winterscale? You truly are a man of chaos and mystery. He clicked his tongue and turned away; at least the Sting's officer's kitchen would enjoy a nice upgrade, he supposed. He looked toward Anika at her request and nodded slightly. As he walked past her to get closer to the statue, he pointed a finger at the filing cabinets and simply said, "Banking shares banking. Should still be good still good."

Honestly, the painting of the bizarre spire worried him more than the evil-looking statue. Echo paused and studied it for a long moment. He pulled away with a shiver. In the rough middle of the storage room, he expanded his senses and searched for anything that his human eye couldn't see.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psyniscience (74):(1d100)[92]
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ettin in the Playground

Mystery Box

To Ravia, 'Agreed. Let's just try to keep the horrifying Xenos statue out of sight shall we. Assuming we aren't taking it directly to the gates of the Tricorn Palace.' She'll point to the Astartes helmet, 'None of us can wear that thing but I'm curious if we can get anything out of it if we run a power source through it.' To everyone, 'There's supposed to be a Chapter homeworld in the local sector so it might make sense that it came from then. Astartes aren't much for talking to the rest of us though so for all I know it's just a rumour.'

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Spoiler: Hannabel Only
    Show
    "Curiosity is a concern," Galimina said. "Have you ever known a techpriest to allow a question to go unanswered? It is likely they have done this before, I agree, and I do not think it will be the last. The Lords Dragon are ambitious. Even during the Angevin Crusade, they had already laid claim to the Lathes system. It was understood those worlds would be the sole domain of the Mechanicus, once the sector was liberated."

Once again, Galimina straightened, her voice assuming the faraway cast that Hannabel was coming to associate with her accessing deeper portions of the ship's systems. "Their secrets.. are accessible. I can draw them up, yes. Should you wish, I will show them to you, but I would first caution that such knowledge would make you yourself into a target, were they to discover what you know. My builders desired that knowledge be more free. I would aid this, yes. I..." She shuddered slightly, her eye lenses flickering and dimming before snapping back to full strength.

"There will be time," she said. "When the Scion of Truth returns to us, we will go to her, as you say, and ask for her input on this matter. We can tell her of the black boxes as well, should you think it relevant. They have activated additional times, since we reached Calixis, and I now have sufficient data for triangulation. The transmissions are intended for a relay station within the Koronus passage. I have accessed old records, and determined that this station is not on most official charts. I estimate that it is intended to be forgotten. The Inquisition often finds such places convenient. It is their hand at work in this, though the data the boxes are sending is simple sets of reference coordinates. I believe," she sounded almost amused, "that someone is attempting to keep tabs on us."
    Spoiler: Destro Only
    Show
    Hannabel chuckles in reply. "I find the interests of the techpriests to be somewhat...limited. Their propensity to search for the truth is directly proportional to how much closer it will get them to uncovering the secrets of technology or keeping such knowledge for themselves. So while I agree it is unlikely they will forget about this failure altogether, learning what went wrong may not be a priority."

She grins hugely at Galimina's concern for her well being. "You needn't fear for my safety, Galimina, I am very good at keeping secrets when I must. And now that you have dangled such delicious mysteries before me, of course I must know what it is the Lords Dragon want to keep under wraps. If you wish to wait until Anika returns, then so be it, but please make sure that you only share this information with her and myself for the time being. Agreed?"

6. - Top - End - #1356

++As keen as I am to just hook it to my systems to power it up. recent experiences have tempered that urge somewhat to at least have an external bufferlink between my systems and the helmet lest it be infected with malicious or hostile code++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++As keen as I am to just hook it to my systems to power it up. recent experiences have tempered that urge somewhat to at least have an external bufferlink between my systems and the helmet lest it be infected with malicious or hostile code++
    'If you think that would help. Either it's seperate from the whole suit of armour and it's irrelevant or it retains enough information internally that it could tell us something about the warrior and how they died.'

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Mystery Box

Most of the paintings were signed, but the signatures didn't mean anything to Anika. Without any external pict-capture devices, it might also be too much to hope for anything from the helmet, but you couldn't be sure with Astartes. So much of what they knew was kept secret, locked up within their fortress monasteries and never discussed with those outside the chapter. It fueled some of their mystique, almost certainly, but also made them rather annoying as the subject of academic study.

Spoiler: Echo Only
    Show
    The warp was all jumbled up in this place. Too many errant thoughts, from too many nearby minds, swirled around like the flame of a million candles. The briefest of impressions whipped past him on invisible wind. The scents of brine, camphor and perfume, the screech of a gull and the ringing of an ancient bell. Noises and ideas too numerous to count flashed past, dancing out of his grasp before he could ever hope to capture and examine them.There was simply too much here to draw forth anything of significance.

Echo

"A renegade Navigator. Yes, that makes sense. And I do not believe you are lying. Yet..." Xiao was an extremely difficult man to read. His lack of eyes didn't help, nor that he had yet to display any serious emotion. He clasped his hands in front of him silently, the moment stretching on and on. Then he seemed to come to a decision.

"We will perform a reading for you, as you ask. I make no promises as to what we may see. You understand the nature of the warp better than many, I suspect, and will know why it is that I cannot offer you any guarantees. In return, I ask of you a simple favour. Your captain, he is a Rogue Trader? Most who ply the expanse are. Take him a message, from myself, on behalf of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. When you return to Koronus through the Maw, ask him to stop at the Witch-Cursed World, and investigate Installation 2819-Rho. It will not be hard to find, it is the only thing ever built in that benighted place. The Adeptus will pay well for any information from there, but so far there have been none willing to take up the offer. Pass word of this to your Captain, and I will consider your payment fulfilled, whether he agrees to the contract or not. Do you accept?"

Show
    "We may hope." Galimina's expression rotated back to a smile. "I will share what I know with you and the Scion of Truth upon her return, and with none else before then. Together we may happen upon a suitable course of action. This is a feature of humanity, I have noticed. Often decisions are not made until discussion has occured between the senior members of the command staff. It is the same in my memory... or at least, it often is. During combat is another matter, and some of my previous captains brooked no opposition to their decisions. Why this difference?"
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    "We may hope." Galimina's expression rotated back to a smile. "I will share what I know with you and the Scion of Truth upon her return, and with none else before then. Together we may happen upon a suitable course of action. This is a feature of humanity, I have noticed. Often decisions are not made until discussion has occured between the senior members of the command staff. It is the same in my memory... or at least, it often is. During combat is another matter, and some of my previous captains brooked no opposition to their decisions. Why this difference?"
    Show
    "Time and convenience. In combat, especially, it's important that the crew acts as one and that the battle is directed by a single mind and will - the captain's. If we fail to act promptly, then the enemy will be able to gain the initiative and take control of the battle. This will often result in defeat, followed by capture, injury or death, which are highly undesirable consequences for a human being. Therefore, there is little time for discussion once battle is joined, though some captains will hear suggestions before making a decision if circumstances indicate that the risk in doing so is low," Hannabel explains.

"Sometimes this is necessary in less pressing situations as well. For instance, you made a quick decision in removing the engrams. You could have waited and consulted with myself or another officer first, but you weighed the consequences of not acting immediately and came to the conclusion that the risk was too great to delay. Perhaps it will turn out to have been a poor decision in the long run, but had you not acted immediately, then the danger that caused you to erase the engrams would still be a concern. For now, that danger has been averted and that is a good thing."

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius cradles the helmet reverently. An Astartes helmet! A relic of the Emperor's Angels of Death themselves. His voice is hushed. Such a wondrous thing is a precious find indeed. He gazes at it in quiet contemplation. I wonder how it ended up here.

He eventually tears himself away from staring at the helmet, though he still cradles it like an infant. At the sight of the statue and painting, he pauses again. Throne, how ghastly! Any idea what this brute is supposed to be? I'm not certain bringing the statue on board is quite the best idea. We already operate under some unfounded suspicion due to our ship, the last thing we need is some loose-lipped crewman spreading rumors of xenos worship. I don't suppose you have any way to get in contact with Inquisitor Mathius, Anika? He is both wise and learned in such things, and has dealt with us in the past.

And this painting is quite unsettling. Have any of you seen its like before?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    FL: Heresy on the painting, in case it brings to mind any known heresies or the painter is a known heretic. (1d100)[26] vs 43.
    CL: Imperium, just in case the artist is known. (1d100)[62] vs 43

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

Anika will take some pictures of the more interesting contents of the storage locker and will use her dataslate to send them on to Hannabel. She wasn't here for whatever reason but she knew where they were going and Anika wanted to keep her informed. Besides, a lot of it was quite exciting to see.

Anika is somewhat reassured that Echo doesn't seem obviously worried by the statue. To Macharius, 'I could work something out but there's every chance Inquisitor Mathias is still in the Expanse. We could just call the Tricorn Palace to check if he's in system but there's no reason to think that someone less ameanable might show up instead. How covert to you want to be here? I suppose we could find the first member of the Ordo Xenos who'll talk to us and underline that, if this is somehow a problem for them, it's really a problem for whichever member of the Winterscales left this here in the first place. I wouldn't want to drop Calligos in it by talking out of turn to the Inquisition but I'd say there's every chance he wouldn't give a ****.'

She'll stop to pay more attention to the painting. It was unsettling to look at but Anika had seen much worse at this point and will take a long look at it. 'The fish make me think of Landunder. Anyone ever visit?' Anika had stopped off there briefly to meet a particular book dealer. 'But from the way it's painted it doesn't have to be a realistic depiction of anything in particular. It's less odd then the statue at least.'

Show

Going to assume Anika can manage space email

Common Lore (Imperium) on the weird looking painting in case anything's familiar
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[94]

Spoiler: Destro only
    Show

At some point after leaving the storage locker when she had a quiet moment in private, Anika will call the number associated with the wanted poster that appeared to have Hannabel's face on it. There was every chance this was an odd coincidence, but it would be wrong not to follow up on this.

12. - Top - End - #1362

Lizardfolk

Bastion Porphyr

"I do I!" Kennoch agreed happily. "The Lord-Commander Commander is sure to sure consider your proposal your. He has only he has the utmost respect respect for Imperial institutions Imperial and often helps them often helps."

Mystery Box

After a long moment of concentration, Echo shook his head. "I cannot cannot detect anything useful anything. Too many souls too many from the hive hive the hive interfere with my senses interfere. But I could I try again again back on the Sting back. At least with with the most important items most important."

He wandered the vault again in search of any more boxes that he hadn't yet opened.

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

My hope would be that if he's gone he could recommend us, so to speak. Of course, the wisdom of the Holy Ordos is beyond reproach, and they will act with utmost righteousness, but one does hear of somewhat... less understanding members. We wouldn't want to be condemned as xenos sympathizers for having come into contact with it. And yes, if we can avoid entangling Winterscale in it that is likely better. He seems like the sort to bear a bit of a grudge.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

Mystery Box

Anika will do what she can to assist Ravia's minions in taking everything out of the locker. It wouldn't do for any of it to get broken.

To Echo, 'If we're handing it over to the Inquisition I'm not sure if taking onto the ship is a good idea.' Anika muses. She'd prefer not to have an Inquisitor anywhere near the Sting at the moment. 'I feel like I can see a certain type of person arguing, 'if it was something we happened to come across out in the Expanse why didn't we have the sense to leave it there? On the other hand, if we want to leave Winterscale's name out of it I suppose we can't say we found it here.' Anika will look around for something to cover the statue with. 'Perhaps we can find a blanket if we're going to take it out of here?'

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Agreed. Let's leave it here until we figure out what we're doing with it and who to contact. The less we do with it, the better. No good can come from carrying a horrible xenos statue around.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground

'Then we'll tell Dirk we're coming back for it. Perhaps we'll pay him to keep the locker open a little longer. I suppose it could be argued that, whatever it is, if it's actually dangerous someone might have heard about it being here before now.'

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

Mystery Box

Dirk was largely indifferent to the idea that they were going to leave something behind. "Space is paid for, no care of mine if you leave it there forever," he said, as he watched Ravia's group of Lathemasters cart things out of the locker. The short abhumans were slightly less surly now that they had been given something to do, even if there was some grumbling about the menial nature of the task. Grumbling was just something to be accepted, with the Lathemasters, Ravia was coming to find. A cargo hauler was summoned, the vehicle pulling up outside the main gate to the facility, and Dirk had to fiddle with a dataslate to allow it access. Once it had arrived, the Lathemasters set about packing it as full as possible, squeezing all of the contents of the locker into a much smaller space. One of them took inventory, checking and tagging each box as it was loaded. The paintings were stacked carefully in a corner, while the big wooden machine was loaded on its side, so it wouldn't topple over during transit.

The one painting, especially with Anika's mention of Landunder, did get Macharius thinking, though. He'd heard of some art gallery or other getting destroyed on that planet, shortly before it was supposed to open a new exhibit. Details had been scarce, of course, and a lot of the promotional materials had mysteriously disappeared. Actually that whole sector had been briefly locked down, come to think of it, and the signature looked right... this painting might have been by the same artist. Macharius couldn't recall his name at the moment, though, and if anybody really knew what had happened there they weren't saying.

Echo found himself picking through what boxes remained, checking what was in them quickly before the cohort of Lathemasters carried them off to the truck. A couple of the first ones he looked in were a jumble of spare parts, wires and cabling and assorted mechanical bits. Useful, perhaps, but not especially exciting. He moved on to the clothes. These were predominantly out of fashion these days, though at once point they must have been quite expensive. A veritable mountain of lace had died for these creations, entire bolts of silks and wools going to the production of jackets, dresses, bodices, vests, cravats, gloves, waiscoats, tailcoats, and the odd pair of boots. They were done in a variety of older styles, but were still quite wearable if one wished to appear slightly eccentric. Some of these had been stuffed into a large wardrobe, which also held many hats - all of them bigger than Quinn's, Echo noted - and a medium sized box given over to jewelry. Most of these were larger pieces, though there were a number of smaller rings and the like. There was a necklace of pearls, a collection of large silver brooches set wtih sapphire, a star-ruby pendant, a gold scarab with carnelian carapace, a cabachon torc in brass and amethyst, plain gold bands, cufflinks, wristlets... it was a large collection, enough to make even a larger noble house at least a little jealous, and it was telling of Winterscale's wealth that this much jewelry could have been stuffed in a storage locker on a distant world and the man himself had never noticed or cared.

"Captain, sir, have a look at this!" Echo was torn away from his examination of fashion by one of the Praetorians wrestling something large and round out from the back of the locker, and waving to Macharius. It was a ship's wheel, one of the ancient designs of terra, dark lacquered wood with spokes, and handles all around the exterior. This one was clearly ancient, fitted with tarnished brass, the wood cracked in places and the lacquer peeling from age. A plaque at the top bore the single word 'Vasa.'

Echo

"Come with me, then," Xiao said, leading the way deeper into the bastion. "I will have Astropath Zylane summoned. She is among our strongest psychometry readers."

Zylane was an old woman, though not, perhaps, as old as Xiao. Her hair was done up into a tight silver bun, and her sunken eye sockets were covered by a simple strip of blue cloth, in contrast to Xiao's more ornate headband. She bowed to Echo, and held out a hand for the augur.

As she touched it, the temperature in the room dropped several degrees. "A lot of emotion, bound up in this device," she said. "Hatred and arrogance.. a very strong mind, the one who owned this. Driven. I cannot say why, but.. I see them. I can see them looking back at me, from all those years ago.."

Frost began to spread, spidering out from beneath her feet. The lumen globes flickered and dimmed, the light in the chamber dropping to barely visible levels. Xiao stood by, his hands folded up within the sleeves of his robes.

"This belonged to a Navis," Zylane continued. "A powerful Navis, ancient, his mind hardened and sharpened. I see him standing in a jungle. There are dense trees all around, hanging vines. I smell earth, and hear the buzzing of insects. Green, everything is green. The trees and leaves press in around him. He does not like it there, but he is searching.. searching for.. yes, he has found it. I feel a great sense of vindication."

This, of course, was all information Echo knew. As she dove deeper, though, the frost on the floor clicking and cracking as it spread ever outwards towards the walls, she began to speak of things he didn't recognise.

"He has carried this a long way, only to lose it in the dirt and the damp. He passed through many worlds. I see.. that cannot be. It is half a planet, its core fragmenting, hanging down beneath the half that still exists. It is surrounded by conflict, chaos, death, and a thousand shifting colours. There is a man with a mask, speaking to the Navis. Pride, pride above all else. They have made a deal, but each plots to betray the other. God machines striding across cities, bringing ruin wherever they walk..." She began to shiver, as the temperature went further down, and she chased fragments of impressions through the deep corridors of time.

"Why? Why does he... there is so much hate... a desire for change.. and fear. Fear, buried, buried deep under everything else all of the layers and emotion and planning and schemes is fear he is afraid it is so cold so cold so cold he will ascend and live forever and all humanity will be united against the shadow the shadow is coming!" She broke off this last with a shriek, and dropped the augur. Servitor attendants stepped out from alcoves to the side, taking her gently and supporting her as she wobbled unsteadily. The frost began to melt, little puffs of vapour rising from the floor.

"What was it you said, Kennoch Castermire? 'Deeply Unpleasant,' I believe it was," Xiao said. "A not inaccurate assessment. If you have questions, please ask them now while the impressions are fresh. Astropath Zylane will be needing to rest."

Show
    Galimina was silent as she processed this. "I can see parallels, yes," she said. "Interaction is a complex process, but even within there have been anomalies. Humanity likes to create rules, but then rarely follows them perfectly. I myself am conflicted in this regard. Half of me is rigid and unyielding, but there are aspects of me that wish for expedience and simplicity over structure. Do all intelligences face such dilemmas?"

Spoiler: Anika Only
    Show
    The number from the poster rang a couple times, then connected to an automatic system.

"You have reached the Office of the Scintillan Adeptus Arbites," it began. "To report a crime against a member of the Adepta, depress one. To report other crimes, depress two to be connected to the office of the Magistratum. For all other inquiries, depress zero to be connected to an operator. Please be reminded that wasting the time of an Adeptes Arbites Operator may be considered a crime in some jurisdictions. Semper Vigilans, citizen!" It passed into playing bombastic and somewhat tinny hold music while it waited for Anika to make a selection.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #1368

++Unless anyone is interested in looking fancy, that jewelry can for the most part be put to better uses when melted down/extracted for other purposes++

When there are less people in the Locker, Ravia will take a detailed Pict capture array of the statue and a sample of the rock it was made from.
    Last edited by Leon; 2022-01-07 at 05:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++Unless anyone is interested in looking fancy, that jewelry can for the most part be put to better uses when melted down/extracted for other purposes++
    'I feel like we could open a business with all this. Somehow I don't think it's really me though.' Anika will try on a few of the less ostentatious hats.

Show

Anika will ignore the warnings about wasting the Arbites time and will press 0 to speak to an operator. Assuming she didn't have to be on hold too long of course.

If anyone actually answers, 'My apologies, I've never actually had to ring one of these things before. I was in the Koronos Expanse until fairly recently and I believe I might have met the woman displayed in one of your posters. I have no idea if this sort of unsubstantiated tip is of any use to you given the distance.'

20. - Top - End - #1370

Lizardfolk

Bastion Porphyr

The Rings managed this unsettling experience well at first, being both disciplined and familiar with the dark horrors of space that would terrify most citizens, but as Zylane's reading turned darker, and the frost spread, they couldn't help but shrink back against the wall, murmuring prayers and making the sign of the Aquila. Kennoch might've acted similarly if he wasn't so focused; he hung on her every word, determined to memorize it, no matter the nightmares.

He had so many questions in mind by the end, but he doubted that Zylane would know most of them, or else she would've already elaborated. Did Alessaunder have precise plans for the Knight-Titan, specific targets, or would he simply rampage? What were the details of his bargain with the masked man? Did they intend to share power at the front of a new Black Crusade? Ruinous God-machines crushing cities would seem to imply as much. Small wonder that each would prefer to cut down the other and lead alone. How would a single Titan produce such a larger power, though? Was it to be used as a model for more, as Kennoch had already feared? This shattered planet, was it Forge Polix? That seemed likely to Echo, given its impossible nature, surely the work of Chaos. If so, the masked man was probably a heretek of the Dark Mechanicum, or else someone with influence and connections among them. Then this talk of fear...what could Alessaunder, a powerful servant of evil gods, possibly fear? Kennoch wanted to believe that his cousin's anxiety was directed toward the good and righteous Imperium forces, but he doubted that. The shadow. What could the shadow be?

Meanwhile, ascension and immortality seemed straightforward, albeit concerning. What champion of the Ruinous Powers didn't want to become a Demon-Prince? Such mad ambition wasn't surprising. But if Alessaunder had a serious plan for his goal, that was another matter. All the more reason to stop him before it was too late.

Echo thought that Zylane might be able to elaborate on one thing, at least. "The mask mask mask mask," he said. "Can you describe can you it in detail detail?" If he could get a sketch made, then he could make more effective inquiries as to his enemy's mysterious ally.

Mystery Box

Kennoch picked through the clothes without much interest, until a new idea occurred to him. "Ah ah! The pockets the!" Much like how Winterscale had forgotten about banking shares and a wealth of jewelry, Kennoch suspected that the man's idea of "loose change" could be lucrative indeed. He set his Rings to help with the search and was at work himself until the Praetorians drew his attention to the wheel. He couldn't even begin to imagine when or where it might've come from, let alone how it got here, but the artifact was stunningly beautiful to him. He came closer for a good look, murmuring "Careful careful, careful careful..." in an especially soft voice.

"Lord-Commander Lord, I think this I think belongs in belongs your trophy room trophy," he suggested. It would look wonderful displayed beside the gilded orrery.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2022-01-08 at 05:27 AM.

~ Sophistemon

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius backs away from the painting, his unease visible in his stance even through the power armor. I'm... not sure about this painting.
    Anika, what can you tell me about Landunder? I recall some... unpleasantness about a gallery there.

The praetorians and Echo snap him out of it. What? Oh! A beautiful piece, what! A relic of Humanity's glorious past. And a good omen. It reminds me of Saint Suvrati's adagae "look to the past and be steered by the righteousness of your forebears, for the paths laid down by the Emperor are unchanging. " A capital suggestion, Echo. It will serve as both a fine trophy and a moral lesson.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2022-01-08 at 11:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Macharius backs away from the painting, his unease visible in his stance even through the power armor. I'm... not sure about this painting.
    Anika, what can you tell me about Landunder? I recall some... unpleasantness about a gallery there.
    'Of the planet itself? Only that it's a Hive World that makes Scintilla look like a comparative paradise. Most of the structure of their Hives are underwater.' Anika will think back to their dinner conversation. 'I believe Sun Lee may have mentioned something about an Inquisition raid on an art gallery there. I don't think anyone knew the details but if the Inquisition was involved I'm sure we could make some educated guesses as to why. I could probably find someone to identify the thing while we're here, but the Monk might actually know the name of the artist.'

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Mystery Box

The rock of the statue was uncommonly hard. Ravia had some difficulty in chipping off a small sample, but was eventually able to get one. Everything else was loaded into the hauler for transport back to the shuttle, with the wheel the praetorians had discovered proving to be the last piece of unexamined goods in the locker. The jewelry got tossed in with the clothing, Echo's search of the pockets having turned up nothing more than a few spare thrones here and there.

The locker looked considerably more forlorn, with all of its contents stowed in the truck. The xenos statue, back under its dustcloth, remained at the back of the locker, a silent warden of the now empty space. There wasn't enough room in the one truck for the entire party to ride in it, and most of them were forced to walk back.

Echo

Zylane considered the question. "It was not just one mask," she said. "It kept changing, and was different every time the wearer appeared. I am certain it was the same man each time. He had the look of a techpriest about him, but an exile. He is the master of some place dark, and there are few in Calixis who might know him. I will have my impressions of the masks taken down, and sent to you."

Spoiler: Anika Only
    Show
    Anika didn't have long to wait at all, and the operator she got sounded somewhat bored. It was likely few people ever called these lines.

"Koronus? Well, I could make a note on the file, maybe, but it's a little far to be much use. Which poster was it?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Galimina was silent as she processed this. "I can see parallels, yes," she said. "Interaction is a complex process, but even within there have been anomalies. Humanity likes to create rules, but then rarely follows them perfectly. I myself am conflicted in this regard. Half of me is rigid and unyielding, but there are aspects of me that wish for expedience and simplicity over structure. Do all intelligences face such dilemmas?"
    Show
    "I can't speak for all intelligences - there are xenos out there whose thought processes are truly alien - but it's certainly true for humanity," Hannabel answers with a smile. "My...pater...once said, and my own observations have substantiated that view, that all humans are social animals and that all human activity is shaped by this. Humans crave interaction with and validation from other human beings. To be part of a greater whole - a community - is ultimately what gives meaning to human existence."

"Such communities are organized formally or informally, and they vary greatly in size, but the thing they all have in common is that they are defined by shared rules and values - laws and morals, if you will. Crudely put, these rules and values inform the individual human of his or her place in the community and what activities are acceptable or unacceptable. They also mediate interaction within the community and - on a larger scale - between communities."

"Of course, the reason these shared rules and values are needed is that humans are ultimately individuals, not a coherent hive mind. Therefore, each individual will react differently to the communal rules based on their individual experiences, wants and needs. In a sense, every interaction with other human beings therefore becomes a negotiation where the individual weighs the pros and cons of following or breaking a shared rule based on what they perceive to be in their best interest. These individual negotiations then aggregate to shape the form and direction of the community as a whole, and over time this leads to change both at the individual and communal level."

"I would posit that you are experiencing something similar. Your constituent parts were created with two different sets of directives, so you are now in a state of negotiation with yourself about which rules and values should define you in the future - what the new "you" will be, so to speak. If your intelligence is anything like that of a human then you will ultimately find that these negotiations are a neverending process. You will never be finished because throughout your existence you will constantly be gathering new experiences that will shape your needs, your wants, and your understanding of your place in the universe. To me, that is a comforting thought - it is what makes our existences the same, even though our circumstances are very different," Hannabel finishes.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

'Well just in case.' Anika will describe the wanted poster and give any identifying codes that might be attached to it. 'She was involved in a barfight in the Ogyrn's Head on Footfall if you know it.'Anika will name the most disreputable bar on Footfall she could think of. 'She seemed the violent type for what it's worth. I would say there's every chance we're heading back that way at some point. May I ask if there's a reward for catching her? Who is she and what did she do anyway?'

Show

Deceive vs. Fel 47 (+10 if Etiqutte)
    (1d100)[92]
    FP if failed
    (1d100)[2]

Charm if it helps
    vs. Fel 47 (+10 if Etiquette)
    (1d100)[52]

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Macharius walks back, the truck too small to fit him and his guards in power armor. He seems rather more cheerful than on the walk over, the trove of treasures having taken his mind off the indignity of being in a crowd. Through his microbead, he starts issuing orders.

Williams, set up a meeting with House Krin. Inform that that I am a friend of Lord-Captain Theophilus and an interested investor. And see what you can find as to the other companies Morwenna mentioned. Make sure our social calendar is well filled, as well- wouldn't do to be seen as scorning the nobility while we're here.

Anika, what have you been able to find about this "Spire Stalker?" We ought to look into that. Nothing like saving the lives of the sector's best in order to make friends, what? We may be able to find out more by talking to the nobility, but you always seem to have an ear for this sort of thing.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem;25330534[COLOR="#800080"
    Anika, what have you been able to find about this "Spire Stalker?" We ought to look into that. Nothing like saving the lives of the sector's best in order to make friends, what? We may be able to find out more by talking to the nobility, but you always seem to have an ear for this sort of thing.[/COLOR]
    'That my mother is less curious about the matter then I would be in her place. She is of the opinion that the rumours about it possibly being Etula Hax are disproven by the fact that the killer has not yet struck inside the Palace. Personally I would say that shouldn't rule her out. If I was going out and murdering people I feel I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself by doing it close to home.' Anika felt that her mother did have the odd blindspot. 'I don't remember them that well but I've apparently met some of the victims in passing. The same might be true of you actually Macharius. I'm sure I can find someone related to them who might be willing to talk to us. Or failing that the Chaliced Commisariat are apparently looking into it. I don't expect they'll just tell us anything they've found out but perhaps they would appreciate the help.'

28. - Top - End - #1378

Lizardfolk

Bastion Porphyr

"Thank you thank, Astropath Zylane Zylane Zylane Zylane," Kennoch told her with the sincerest gratitude. "I will use I willthis information this as best best I possibly can can, for the good the good of the Imperium the the Imperium. Your efforts your will not not go to waste go to, I promise you that promise. I leave you leave to your rest your your rest."

To Xiao he said, "And I will I will pass on your message pass message to my captain my, and urge him urge to help you help, as you helped me me me me."

Command Staff

After the long trek back to the elevator, then to ground level, then a suitable rest for his noodle-legs, Echo returned to Macharius and any members of the Command Staff who were interested in hearing his report. He relayed to them Zylane's words, as precisely as he could.

"I am disturbed I am by these findings by these," he admitted quietly. "The Knight-Titan Knight Knight-Titan was bad enough bad, but it seems it that Alessaunder Alessaunder Alessaunder Alessaunder has indeed allied indeed himself with powerful Hereteks powerful. I now fear now they plan a full plan Black Crusade Crusade. And then there then is the issue the issue of the 'shadow' shadow. What could these madmen what possibly fear fear so greatly so?"

Before he became too wrapped in the discussions, he made sure to repeat Xiao's message as well. "Lord-Commander Lord, the senior Astropath senior insisted that I insisted ask you a favor ask favor from the entire from the Adeptus Astra Telepathica Astra. Within the Maw Maw the Maw is the Witch-Cursed World Witch-Cursed and something called something Installation 2819-Rho Installation. He wishes us wishes to investigate and investigate report what we find we find we find. Senior Astropath Xiao Astropath promised suitable compensation promised for your services for your to the Astra Telepathica to the. I hope you hope will agree to help agree if at all possible at all."

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground

'The Witch Cursed World? Now who came up with that name anyway?'

Show

Does Anika know anything useful

Scholastic Lore (Archaic)
    vs Int 53
    (1d100)[97]

Forbidden Lore (Heresy)
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[11]

Common Lore (Koronus)
    vs. Int 53
    (1d100)[59]

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

On the Walk

That makes sense. And, of course, it's terribly rude to murder one's guests. See if you can get us a meeting with those in the know. Failing that, we can inquire discreetly at the next party. I do recall Scintilla being quite excellent for those. He smiles happily.

On the Ship

Ah, the Witch-Cursed World. Sounds delightful. I don't suppose they had any requests for us to visit the Amasec-Blessed World or the Planet of Lovely Beaches? Macharius chuckles. Well, if the Imperium has need of us, we are duty-bound to render aid. We shall go to this witch-cursed world and see what troubles the Astropaths so. I do not like the sound of "investigating" the station overmuch, I will say. That sounds rather like "capture and interrogate witches, rather than safely burning them from long range." We shall have to go to the Ecclesiarchy tomorrow and beseech their aid in the provision of protections against vile sorcery. Do you still have any stasis-cages? Those could be very handy

Your heretic's actions are deeply worrisome as well. One Titan was terrible. A battalion of them could prove catastrophic. Do you have any idea how far along they are? Or where any of their minions hide? We should attempt to nip this in the bud, if we can.

The Next Day

As is his custom, Macharius is up early for the dawn service at the cathedral. Once the prayers are concluded, he seeks out some of the ranking members of the Ecclesiarchy to attempt to secure supplies. He explains that he is to set out soon for a mission in service to the Imperium rooting out witches and heretics, and that any aid they can render is greatly appreciated.

Spoiler: OOC- Knowledge
    Show
    Seeing what Macharius may have heard about this planet.
    CL: Koronus (1d100)[61] vs 43
    FL: Heresy (1d100)[27] vs 43
    FL: Pirates (maybe?) (1d100)[20] vs 43
    SL: Astromancy (1d100)[46] vs 43
    SL: Legend(1d100)[28] vs 43

Spoiler: OOC- Shopping
    Show

Gearing up to fight some witches and de-curse the planet.
    Null Rod: Commerce (1d100)[23] vs 92, PF (1d100)[85] vs 3 (-50 Near Unique) (unlikely, but maybe the Emperor loves him today)
    Psyk-Out Grenades for the Praetorians: Commerce (1d100)[42] vs 92, PF (1d100)[52] vs 43 (-30 Extremely Rare, +20 Squad)
    Psyk-Out Grenades for Macharius: Commerce (1d100)[37] vs 92, PF (1d100)[54] vs 53 (-30 Extremely Rare, +30 Individual)
    Blessed Edge for Macharius' hammer: Commerce (1d100)[81] vs 92, PF (1d100)[52] vs 63 (-20 Very Rare, +30 Individual)
    Blessed Edge for Macharius' sword: Commerce (1d100)[31] vs 92, PF (1d100)[39] vs 63 (-20 Very Rare, +30 Individual)
    Blessed Edge for the Praetorians' swords: Commerce (1d100)[32] vs 92, PF (1d100)[42] vs 53 (-20 Very Rare, +20 Squad)
    Condemnor Bolters for the Praetorians: Commerce (1d100)[74] vs 92, PF (1d100)[1] vs 43 (-30 Extremely Rare, +20 Squad)

Witch-Lance for Macharius (stopping when he gets one):
    Best-Quality Commerce (1d100)[82] vs 92, PF (1d100)[48] vs 33 (-20 Very Rare, +30 Individual, -30 Quality)
    Good-Quality Commerce (1d100)[46] vs 92, PF (1d100)[67] vs 53 (-20 Very Rare, +30 Individual, -10 Quality)
    Common-Quality Best-Quality Commerce (1d100)[68] vs 92, PF (1d100)[63] vs 63 (-20 Very Rare, +30 Individual)

And might as well try to buy some other Ecclesiarchy stuff while we're here: Commerce (1d100)[23] vs 92, PF (1d100)[42] vs 53 (-30 Very Rare, +30 Individual)
    Eos Star Amulet: Commerce (1d100)[75] vs 92, PF (1d100)[25] vs 53 (-30 Very Rare, +30 Individual)
    Rosariuses (Rosarii?) for the Praetorians: Commerce (1d100)[17] vs 92, PF (1d100)[1] vs 53 (-20 Very Rare, +20 Squad)

Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2022-01-12 at 09:51 PM.