New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    As (I think I) mentioned, I don't like to extrapolate for the entries (as opposed to the kind of interpolation necessary for summarizing), in much the same vein as my refusal to pass judgement on something the Giant's said; my view is that the Index should be providing neutral information for readers to make their own subjective interpretations from.

To that end....The Giant enjoying his ignorance of the "Tarquin is a Swordsage" theory is a personal preference that does not touch on the comic directly; for an entry this has no value one way or the other. Same with...whatever sequence of words is encompassing the Blue Carbuncle. Conversely, Wrecan technically being a Crusader does touch directly on a character in the comic and specific wording used in the comic; in the (highly likely) case the post gets an entry, that will be all it mentions.
    Fully agree on all counts.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Given that Rich has confirmed fan questions before (e.g. Girard's alignment) and given more detailed answers to certain questions even in this answer set, I think "No" to "Is Tarquin a Swordsage?" is a logical and safe extrapolation from his answer.

I think #7 if included would be better served with the full answer by way of explanation.

I'll have to think of any other possible suggestions on other questions.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Given that Rich has confirmed fan questions before (e.g. Girard's alignment) and given more detailed answers to certain questions even in this answer set, I think "No" to "Is Tarquin a Swordsage?" is a logical and safe extrapolation from his answer.
    I concur, and do not see any logical way to read "I was unaware of both theories" to not indicate "no, I did not mean to convey either of the two things you just asked me about." If he meant for Tarquin to be a swordsage then it wouldn't be a theory and him being unaware of it would suggest he's suffering from profound amnesia.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I vote Yes for 6, 8, 12, and F1, and no for all the others.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly, I don't see any reason not to include all.

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    Also, I feel like that was specified in the comic, but I can't find it somehow.
    Just for the record, it's this strip. Though I agree that - speaking as someone who did assume that was referring to the class, but who also barely knows anything about said class - it's a sufficiently ambiguous reference that it does no harm to add the post.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, I get it! You know how a lot of strip titles have a double meaning, right? Sometimes The Giant does it because readers often see the strip title first, so he wants the strip title to not spoil the strip contents. The title of #1288 is “Plus They're Not Even Blue” has a double meaning in a different way. It was about the Carbuncle from GDGU the whole time!

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

wrong thread?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

8. - Top - End - #638

No, not the wrong thread.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

In case anyone's missed it, there's a new answers post over on Patreon; and a new forum post over...here, "cleverly" labelled as F1 on the table to keep everything together:

# Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 How do you feel about OOTS remaining (D&D) 3.5?
    Great.
    6 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid, LadyEowyn
    2 What makes a good magic system?
    Lack of bad drama.
    7 2 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn
    3 Would you ever appear on a tabletop gaming stream?
    No.
    6 4 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium
    4 Is the Open Gaming License an issue for the comic?
    No.
    6 5 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, b_jonas
    5 Why is your Patreon avatar Elan?
    Representative accuracy.
    7 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium
    6 How did you pick which Norse Gods made it into the Northern Pantheon?
    Matching names to reasons.
    9 1 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c
    7 Did you know Christopher Walken was going to appear in a Dune movie?
    No.
    7 4 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Joerg, Kish, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Sir_Norbert
    8 Why was Tarquin obsessed with Elan and Nale?
    He saw extremes of personality.
    10 1 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

9 Do you read the forums anymore?
    No.
    8 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, b_jonas
    10 Do you speed the plot up after reader feedback?
    Not anymore.
    8 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

12 Does Neutrality fit death gods better than Evil?
    Only sometimes.
    9 1 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

F1 Wrecan is technically a Crusader.
    ...yes.
    12 0 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Ruck, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

Against:

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    ...though I would prefer a wording like "what is the actual reference in that strip".
    To be clear, as this has come up twice now and I did change this from the verbatim question copy/paste the color-coded summary tables have used for almost...four years (geez): the overly terse question paraphrases are not the final entry text; I write those up later, once dispositions have started settling. The primary purpose is hinting at question content so people don't have to go look at the Patreon post every time a question number comes up...though it appears that the ancillary goal behind the change, highlighting where my interpretation of what's the important part is contested, is paying for itself in spades.

"Given that the Giant has answered fan questions before, I think this thing that doesn't answer a fan question is logically an answer to a fan question"...? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I concur, and do not see any logical way to read "I was unaware of both theories" to not indicate "no, I did not mean to convey either of the two things you just asked me about." If he meant for Tarquin to be a swordsage then it wouldn't be a theory and him being unaware of it would suggest he's suffering from profound amnesia.
    While I can follow this, what's unstated is the implicit leap from "I did not mean to convey either of the two things you just asked me about" to "I did mean to convey the absence of the the two things you just asked me about"...<insert platitude about "absence of evidence" here/> Perhaps more importantly, I find it entirely plausible that the Giant did not nail Tarquin down to a specific class build...a scenario in which "Tarquin is not a Swordsage" would be technically accurate but also misleading.

In any case, as of yet I'm unmoved to laxen my standards for the Index that are intended to obviate me having to make these subjective calls let other people make these subjective calls themselves.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #640

While I can follow this, what's unstated is the implicit leap from "I did not mean to convey either of the two things you just asked me about" to "I did mean to convey the absence of the the two things you just asked me about"...<insert platitude about "absence of evidence" here/> Perhaps more importantly, I find it entirely plausible that the Giant did not nail Tarquin down to a specific class build...a scenario in which "Tarquin is not a Swordsage" would be technically accurate but also misleading.
    Sure, that's why I wouldn't phrase it that way, but would include the information that Rich did not intend Tarquin to be a swordsage or the carbuncle to be a Blue Carbuncle, which is relevant to both those characters. And would still let a reader conclude "Swordsage comes under fighter, so Tarquin can be one," if they believe the stated premise there.

(Which does not imply I do not now understand that you don't intend to.)

11. - Top - End - #641

The Carbuncle is blue. If you zoom in on the Monster Class design you can see it has a blue stone in its forehead.

This is the entirety of the "theory": That Rich would draw a Carbuncle living in Azure City as blue instead of red. Every description of it insists it has a red stone in its forehead, probably because "Carbuncle" is also a word for any red stone.

My goof was thinking the whole thing would be blue instead of just the stone.

The relevance to this thread is that Rich had a bag full of blue carbuncles he wanted to sell off when he told us that he'd never heard the "theory" before.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

12. - Top - End - #642

Ox, if he didn't use scare quotes, don't use scare quotes on one word he used, unless you actually want to try to convince the thread "sometimes Rich lies" should be a premise here.

(Unstated sub-bedrock premise for the ox's asserted hypothesis here: Rich must recognize that the world holds normal carbuncles with red stones, and a separate species of Blue Carbuncles with blue stones, not simply carbuncles with stones of some color or other.)

13. - Top - End - #643

Ox, if he didn't use scare quotes, don't use scare quotes on one word he used, unless you actually want to try to convince the thread "sometimes Rich lies" should be a premise here.

(Unstated sub-bedrock premise for the ox's asserted hypothesis here: Rich must recognize that the world holds normal carbuncles with red stones, and a separate species of Blue Carbuncles with blue stones, not simply carbuncles with stones of some color or other.)
    I did not call it a theory, Rich did. That is not a lie, but it still merits making a distinction.

Also, I am embarrassed to call, "Maybe the Azure City Carbuncle will be blue," a theory.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2023-12-02 at 11:08 AM.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

14. - Top - End - #644

If by "Blue Carbuncle" you mean nothing more than the tautological "his stone would be blue if he was drawn in color," sure.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, that's why I wouldn't phrase it that way, but would include the information that Rich did not intend Tarquin to be a swordsage or the carbuncle to be a Blue Carbuncle, which is relevant to both those characters. And would still let a reader conclude "Swordsage comes under fighter, so Tarquin can be one," if they believe the stated premise there.

(Which does not imply I do not now understand that you don't intend to.)
    So not the hard no I saw when the subject was brought up here and thought everyone was talking about.

Hmm...That's a viable approach for Tarquin, I think.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Should the description of #12 allude to the confirmation that Nergal is not Neutral? I know I've been involved in more than one debate on that point in this forum
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Should the description of #12 allude to the confirmation that Nergal is not Neutral? I know I've been involved in more than one debate on that point in this forum
    That one'll probably get multiple entries, one of which is going to be like "Malack (and Nergal) are Evil".

I would be remiss not to mention the potential usefulness for Tzardok's deities thread, as well.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'll link the post there as soon as the comment has been properly archived here; the current proof for Nergal's Evil alignment (the "unholy will" quote) is a bit thin.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I'll link the post there as soon as the comment has been properly archived here; the current proof for Nergal's Evil alignment (the "unholy will" quote) is a bit thin.
    Imean I'd argue the whole "desire for industrialized continental holocaust" bit would settle things but I'm an optimist.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-12-02 at 05:13 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean I'd argue the whole "desire for industrialized continental holocaust" bit would settle things but I'm an optimist.
    One should think so, but I had enough people argue that this is just be Malack's plan, who would be mistaken about what his god actually wants. Solid evidence is always better. *shrug*

21. - Top - End - #651
    Barbarian in the Playground

You're saying this at the same time as he's pointing out an instance of a character using verbal slight of hand, saying something completely accurate which doesn't actually answer the question?

22. - Top - End - #652
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

One should think so, but I had enough people argue that this is just be Malack's plan, who would be mistaken about what his god actually wants. Solid evidence is always better. *shrug*
    Ah, the ol' "Cap'n Crunch: Whoops, All Mass Murder!" defense.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    You're saying this at the same time as he's pointing out an instance of a character using verbal slight of hand, saying something completely accurate which doesn't actually answer the question?
    What motive would Rich have to deceive us?

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

TBF, though the specific circumstances here made it pretty unlikely a LN god having a LE cleric is explicitly normal within D&D rules. (There's actually a much more reasonable - at least until Utterly Dwarfed, IMO - debate over whether Redcloak is fully acting in accordance with the Dark One's will despite them both being LE.)
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2023-12-03 at 11:21 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

What motive would Rich have to deceive us?
    He's misled to preserve surprises before but that doesn't really apply to a question he could simply have chosen to not answer.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    He's misled to preserve surprises before but that doesn't really apply to a question he could simply have chosen to not answer.
    Indeed, it does not.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see....

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 How do you feel about OOTS remaining (D&D) 3.5?
    Great.
    6 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid, LadyEowyn
    2 What makes a good magic system?
    Lack of bad drama.
    7 2 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn
    3 Would you ever appear on a tabletop gaming stream?
    No.
    6 4 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium
    4 Is the Open Gaming License an issue for the comic?
    No.
    6 5 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, b_jonas
    5 Why is your Patreon avatar Elan?
    Representative accuracy.
    7 3 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, ti'esar

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium
    6 How did you pick which Norse Gods made it into the Northern Pantheon?
    Matching names to reasons.

7 Did you know Christopher Walken was going to appear in a Dune movie?
    No.
    7 4 Vote-able In Favor: 137beth, Gwynfrid, Joerg, Kish, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, LadyEowyn, Sir_Norbert
    8 Why was Tarquin obsessed with Elan and Nale?
    He saw extremes of personality.
    10 1 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

9 Do you read the forums anymore?
    No.

10 Do you speed the plot up after reader feedback?
    Not anymore.

12 Does Neutrality fit death gods better than Evil?
    Only sometimes.
    10 1 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, hrožila, ti'esar

F1 Wrecan is technically a Crusader.
    ...yes.
    12 0 Include In Favor: 137beth, Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid, Kish, LadyEowyn, Metastachydium, Ruck, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas, ti'esar

Against:

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

Seems stable enough that I should get started on entries....Ooh, fun; looks like we could be breaking the threshold into four posts o_o

Tenative Updates
    🍍🍌Elan and Nale's Parentage
    How did it affect their alignment? The Giant can't fully answer because of events yet to be revealed. Elan spared Nale's life because of Elan's understanding of what it means to be good. See also here(#8) ("They are his only kids").
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌Elan's Dune Comment in #689(#7)
    "...it's a reference to the music video for Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice, which quotes Dune."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌Malack (and Nergal) are Evil(#12)
    "He never actually says that either he or Nergal is Neutral, merely that it would be logically consistent if they were."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌On Death Gods and Neutrality(#12)
    "What Malack says is entirely reasonable, but so is the idea that a culture could fear death so much that they conceive its personification as inherently malevolent...."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌On Not Updating Past D&D 3.5(#1)
    "...I feel absolutely great about sticking with 3.5".
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌On What Makes Good Magic for a Story(#2)
    "I like my magic like I like my Star Trek technology: Full of nonsense terms that the audience has to infer the meaning of based on contextual clues."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍍🍌On the Forum and the Comic(#9)
    "I don't read the GITP forums at all anymore, either in or out of the OOTS context." See also here and here.
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌Selecting the Northern Deities(#6)
    "I mostly worked backwards from how I wanted the vote in the Godsmoot to shake out".
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍍🍌The Comic Cannot Be Posted on a Consistent Basis(#9)
    "What you're suggesting is not something I can actually do." See also here(#10) ("So the remainder of the comic is going to take as long as it takes....")
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍍🍌The Comic Is Not a Game Manual(#4)
    "...and has never had anything to do with the OGL at all".
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌The Giant Will Not Be Streaming D&D(#3)
    "...but I can't help consider whether or not I would have ever tried D&D if I had thought the games might be broadcast publicly. I sincerely think not."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌The Giant on Using Elan as His Avatar(#5)
    "...for situations where the character image is going to...possibly be interpreted by newcomers as a depiction of me, I think it's better for everyone if I...use someone who matches me demographically."
    #1291 2023/11/30
    🍌Wrecan is a Crusader
    Also, Tarquin wasn't envisioned as a swordsage.
    #1291 2023/11/27

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    While the mental image of HPoH's gaze working through the Giant's screen, compelling him to press the "Submit Reply" button, is amusing....I don't think choosing to reply is the determining factor you're after

28. - Top - End - #658

Flumph

Exclude all. I don't see any new information.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

While the mental image of HPoH's gaze working through the Giant's screen, compelling him to press the "Submit Reply" button, is amusing....I don't think choosing to reply is the determining factor you're after
    For the record, I think "Tarquin wasn't envisioned as a Swordsage" is fine. (I think it's true, and if we don't want to say "no" because he didn't definitely say "no," then I think this is a fair compromise that represents his intentions.)

30. - Top - End - #660

Indeed, sounds good.