New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1302 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    D&D is a game I play to live out unrealistic fantasies. Like being able to get up off the floor in less than six seconds.
    Thank you for a deep laugh. (^_^)b

As someone with treatment-resistant MDD that's finally in remission (who's going to share this joke with fellow nerdy TRD'ers being treated for it), I would note that it can be a wildly-unrealistic timeline to try to turn over and get out of bed.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can get out of bed, hit snooze on my alarm, and return to bed in six seconds.

But somehow the first part by itself takes much longer than the rest.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

3. - Top - End - #213

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Thank you for a deep laugh. (^_^)b

As someone with treatment-resistant MDD that's finally in remission (who's going to share this joke with fellow nerdy TRD'ers being treated for it), I would note that it can be a wildly-unrealistic timeline to try to turn over and get out of bed.
    Glad you appreciated the joke :)

4. - Top - End - #214

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    So i'm almost scared to ask, but why do you hate Bloodfeast exactly?
    I'm not a big fan of animal mascot characters, especially when we already had two of them. There is also Calder factor as the writing, in my opinion, unintentionly made him an underdog, which compels me to root for him.
    Last edited by Precure; 2024-05-18 at 08:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

I also rooted for the underdog* Sauron when the good guys rudely kicked him out of Dol Guldur just as he was trying to pull himself together after a very long slumber
    *underwolf?
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #216

Flumph

Nah, the whole third age is Sauron trolling the middle earth with his minions while he himself was sitting on his ass, probably watching them while eating popcorn with a four fingered hand.
    Last edited by Precure; 2024-05-19 at 08:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I also rooted for the underdog* Sauron when the good guys rudely kicked him out of Dol Guldur just as he was trying to pull himself together after a very long slumber
    *underwolf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Nah, the whole third age is Sauron trolling the middle earth with his minions while he himself was sitting on his ass, probably watching them while eating popcorn with a four fingered hand.
    You guys missed the real hero of the story. He fed false info to the dark lord for years, ganked his doods just when they got the lewt drop they had been farming for, and set up a sacrificial distraction attack exactly timed, (perfectly timed,) to pull his forces off the actual line of attack.

Did anyone thank him or give him a fair share of the lewt? Nope. They forced him to respawn, ransacked his base, and drank his brews. And then, to make things worse, when he was pwning noobs for low-level gear, they ganked him.

Saruman rage-quit and never got back into the game. I hear he's farming speed-runs in Call of Duty now, and has unfriended his old guild.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

I like "underwolf."

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I like "underwolf."
    Ah, the things you learn from random bored Googling. Apparently Sesame Street did a parody of "House of Cards" which featured Frank Underwolf trying to get into the three little pigs' White Brick House.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...-parody-98443/
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

10. - Top - End - #220

Ah, the things you learn from random bored Googling. Apparently Sesame Street did a parody of "House of Cards" which featured Frank Underwolf trying to get into the three little pigs' White Brick House.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...-parody-98443/
    The parody is amusing; I enjoy all of the Sesame Street parodies of adult media. That article in Rolling Stone... needs a competent editor. Two homophone errors: "Underwolf sets his sites on the White Brick House" and "Beau Willimon did not seem phased by the online chatter." And "overtakes" is not the right word.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    *underwolf?
    But the truth is Sauron has never been much of a threat. It's nothing but propaganda by men and elves that Sauron as the aggressor in the second age. Mordor was at peace for 1,500 years before Ar-Pharzon landed with the largest army of Numorians ever assembled.

And what the Numorians did is regarded by every expert to be a genocide. They invaded a peaceful, sovereign nation and basically destroyed it.

Also, I'm going to suggest an umulut for ünderwolf; pronounced with a phoney Bavarian accent.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

12. - Top - End - #222

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    But the truth is Sauron has never been much of a threat. It's nothing but propaganda by men and elves that Sauron as the aggressor in the second age. Mordor was at peace for 1,500 years before Ar-Pharzon landed with the largest army of Numorians ever assembled.

And what the Numorians did is regarded by every expert to be a genocide. They invaded a peaceful, sovereign nation and basically destroyed it.

Also, I'm going to suggest an umulut for ünderwolf; pronounced with a phoney Bavarian accent.
    1500 years of peace, or 1500 years not covered by the author?

/Haven't read Tolkien beyond The Hobbit and LOTR so that question is at least half serious, I know Silmarillion covers a lot.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    The parody is amusing; I enjoy all of the Sesame Street parodies of adult media. That article in Rolling Stone... needs a competent editor. Two homophone errors: "Underwolf sets his sites on the White Brick House" and "Beau Willimon did not seem phased by the online chatter." And "overtakes" is not the right word.
    Let's be fair here, Willimon probably wasn't phased either.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Thank you for noticing, and for saying something which let me know it wasn't just me. The first one actually gave me an eyebrow raise. (0_o)

Very silly thought: I wonder if Flu-Know-Who preferentially hits certain types of brain cells (thus goofing up specific circuits after the initial inflicting of brain fog and accelerating the process of aging [both documented])? I've noticed my own brain has been oddly susceptible sometimes to weird homophone errors, like typing fours when intending to type force. I quickly catch them, but it still really weirds me out.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Halfling in the Playground

Late to the party, but can we infer anything from Calder's lack of reaction to the mention of Xykon? Or does Calder at least know who Xykon is?

The part about "greater glory" suggests he knows Xykon is stronger, but it could also mean that Calder thinks Xykon is a bigger "loot pile" and nothing more.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    1500 years of peace, or 1500 years not covered by the author?
    After skimming the wiki a bit I think it's 1,500 not covered by the author.

I expect Tolkien's intention was that it was 1,500 years of oppression, war with insignificant neighbors, and low grade civil strife endemic to feudal societies.

But if we interpret is as an unreliable narrator (as the webcomic does), then we have 1,500 years without anything bad to say, by someone who loves saying bad things about Sauron/Mordor.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Late to the party, but can we infer anything from Calder's lack of reaction to the mention of Xykon? Or does Calder at least know who Xykon is?
    Probably doesn't know who Xykon is. Calder was suspended for a long time, and Xykon was pretty low profile before Azure city.

Back in order of the scribble times, Xykon might have been much weaker, to.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2024-05-20 at 02:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post

Numoria is a peaceful nation which has never invaded anyone, and this Are Pharzon guy never even went to high school there.

During those missing 1500 years, Sauron was peacefully engaged in teaching history, economics, and leadership in Numenor, while occasionally partnering with elves to teach them jewelry crafting.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Numoria
    1. Númenor.
    2. Unterwolf in case you were wondering how to compound a German noun.

Auf Englisch
    the word wolf sounds like volf. It means the same thing:
    3. Sauron has a long and well earned reputation as a liar, going back to the First Age. Suggest you not fall for his propaganda.

Spoiler: About Unter and how to move that to English
    Show
    1. {dative} (= unterhalb von) under; (= drunter) underneath, below; (Unterordnung ausdrückend) under; (= zwischen, innerhalb) among(st); (= weniger, geringer als) under, below

2. {accusative} under
    bis unter das Dach voll mit … full to bursting with …
    unter Verbrecher geraten to fall in with criminals

For Quizatz: if you believe that, I've got some prime real estate to sell you in the Everglades.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-20 at 06:15 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #229
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

The part about "greater glory" suggests he knows Xykon is stronger, but it could also mean that Calder thinks Xykon is a bigger "loot pile" and nothing more.
    I don't think we can infer any of this. Calder is just reacting to Roy's reduction of his grandeuer down to a mere resource waste.
    In Calder's instance it's an especially sic burn. Kudos to Roy!
    Last edited by alceryes; 2024-05-20 at 06:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    2. Unterwolf in case you were wondering how to compound a German noun.

Auf Englisch
    the word wolf sounds like volf. It means the same thing
    Not metal enough. It needs to be Dås Üntervølf at the very least, or people will mistake it for Unterwehr.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Not metal enough. It needs to be Dås Üntervølf at the very least, or people will mistake it for Unterwehr.
    I guess that some of those metal bands went a bit too far with umlauts, etc.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

22. - Top - End - #232

Thank you for not acknowledging the godawful pun, on reflection that's probably for the best. (^_^)º

23. - Top - End - #233

If any human being can actually read your band's name on the cd cover, then you're not metal enough, apparently.

Calder was trapped at least 60 years ago. At that time, Xykon was just some random 50 years old human sorcerer trying to figure out what his big bid for power would be. A mid-to-high level murderous creep, sure, but not a global threat, and probably not on anyone's radar.
    Xykon would become a lich and a real threat 30 years after Calder was put in stasis. And even then, as pointed out by Quizatzhaderac, he was "just a lich", not really famous until he destroyed Azure City.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-05-21 at 04:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Flumph

I wouldn't be surprised if Xykon and Calder turned out to be old coffee buddies.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I've seen dragons treating coffee seriously outside the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don't think I've seen dragons treating coffee seriously outside the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.
    Many zoologists contend that this is why you don't see dragons anymore on Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by arimareijii
    Thank you for not acknowledging the godawful pun, on reflection that's probably for the best. (^_^)º
    It did get a smile out of me.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

How dare you besmirch Spinal Tap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    If any human being can actually read your band's name on the cd cover, then you're not metal enough, apparently.
    Now you're getting into subgenres. And if we do that then NWOBHM is the best, and they have quite legible album covers.
    Truth.
    Many zoologists contend that this is why you don't see dragons anymore on Earth.
    Eh, those zoologists minds are probably addled by being addicted to a mediocre beverage.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

28. - Top - End - #238

Flumph

Well, how many coffee enjoyer sorcerers have you seen outside of Xykon? Their unusual common interest in coffee would be the thing that make them a perfect pair.
    Last edited by Precure; 2024-05-21 at 09:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

I don't recall that detail, which means that it's probably time for a re-read. Cherries Jubilee, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Well, how many coffee enjoyer sorcerers have you seen outside of Xykon? Their unusual common interest in coffee would be the thing that make them a perfect pair.
    The Dark Lord of Derkholm, IIRC. Who would not in any way have tolerated spending time with either Xykon or Calder.

30. - Top - End - #240

I imagine them drinking tea with uncle Iroh.