New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXIII: Plotting, ranting, and menacing the countryside

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Not only can Bang not use explosives, but the only thing that gets burned is her.
    I think it was more of a slow roasting than a burn, but your mileage may vary. Either way, I like the implication that Bang should stop trying to convince Gil to just destroy the robot because all her reasons also apply to herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

WOW that was a good burn on bang. I swear those two have such serious sibling energy and I love it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #33

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think it was more of a slow roasting than a burn, but your mileage may vary. Either way, I like the implication that Bang should stop trying to convince Gil to just destroy the robot because all her reasons also apply to herself.
    Not only that, Bohrlaika is almost certainly rational, which doesn't necessarily apply to Bang. Now, she's rational based upon the information supplied to her by Klaus, and that's what needs to be corrected. If you asked me which of the two is redeemable, I'm going with the Clank.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Not only that, Bohrlaika is almost certainly rational, which doesn't necessarily apply to Bang. Now, she's rational based upon the information supplied to her by Klaus, and that's what needs to be corrected. If you asked me which of the two is redeemable, I'm going with the Clank.
    On the other hand Bang's the one I'd trust to make paperclips
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    I know we're only on page 1 of the new thread set, but title suggestion already: It would be a lot simpler if I could fight her with explosives
    Noted. I'm pretty sure we've had much earlier suggestions.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    On the other hand Bang's the one I'd trust to make paperclips
    You would? I'd be rather weary of getting some deadly weapons instead of office supplies as regular paperclips would bore her to death. Pastry production on the other hand? Any time - Bang understands and appreciates cake. Also, she has a personal aversion to poisoning it.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    You would? I'd be rather weary of getting some deadly weapons instead of office supplies as regular paperclips would bore her to death. Pastry production on the other hand? Any time - Bang understands and appreciates cake. Also, she has a personal aversion to poisoning it.
    Why pastry production then? most cakes aren't pastry.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Why pastry production then? most cakes aren't pastry.
    That's my English comprehension lacking then. Sometimes I miss small nuances of word definitions.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    That's my English comprehension lacking then. Sometimes I miss small nuances of word definitions.
    I was going to put up some wikipedia page links, but Duckduckgo is having a problem today.

Cakes are confections and almost always sweet, pastries are made of pastry and include most pies, which may be savory, and tarts and other things like eclaires which may be counted as cakes. Basically, it's complicated.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-05-23 at 08:35 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Terminology varies around the world, even within what is called the English language. In the US, I'd never think of Kendal Mint Cake as being cake.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Terminology varies around the world, even within what is called the English language. In the US, I'd never think of Kendal Mint Cake as being cake.
    Sure, there are some big anomalies, for instance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowcake

The links I would have wanted to find include:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-05-24 at 07:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

SamuraiGuy

And the famous Marie Antoinette "Let them eat cake" referred to the substance found on the interior of baker's ovens - it was "caked" onto the side, therefore, cake. One of those cases where an English word has two different meanings as a noun and a verb; a cake you eat, but something can cake onto the side of something else. You can have a ship caked in barnacles.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

And the famous Marie Antoinette "Let them eat cake" referred to the substance found on the interior of baker's ovens - it was "caked" onto the side, therefore, cake.
    Not sccording to Wikipedia, and I've not heard that version anywhere else either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

One of those cases where an English word has two different meanings as a noun and a verb; a cake you eat, but something can cake onto the side of something else. You can have a ship caked in barnacles.
    Or boots caked in mud, but that may well come from a different root, though I am guessing about that.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Or boots caked in mud, but that may well come from a different root, though I am guessing about that.
    If I were to hazard a guess the modern usage of cake to refer to sweet, often fluffy, baked desserts is probably derived from using it to refer to denser hard baked cakes of some kind.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

You can also have cakes of something (like soap, for example) - I thought that's were the cake in Mint Cake came from, but apparantly it isn't.

The "let them eat cake" is a bit of a mistranslation - the actual work is brioche, which is essentially a luxuary form of bread.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #46

Not sccording to Wikipedia, and I've not heard that version anywhere else either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake
    I have heard a similar version only with cake being the crust left in bread pans (which may not have even been a thing in the 1780s). I don't have any source for that though.

It is interesting that in Mr Peabody and Sherman they rip apart the Washington and the cherry tree myth, but promulgate the cake fallacy.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The "let them eat cake" is a bit of a mistranslation - the actual work is brioche, which is essentially a luxuary form of bread.
    This is basically what I heard, and that it mostly illustrates how out of touch the French nobility was at that point.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This is basically what I heard, and that it mostly illustrates how out of touch the French nobility was at that point.
    Reading the linked wiki article, it seems to have been created by a french writer when Marie Antoinette was 8 and applied to her a half-century after her death. Basically, any time someone tries to tell you how things went with a historical figure, it is best to actually check the history books before repeating it.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Reading the linked wiki article, it seems to have been created by a french writer when Marie Antoinette was 8 and applied to her a half-century after her death. Basically, any time someone tries to tell you how things went with a historical figure, it is best to actually check the history books before repeating it.
    Guess why it's my first time repeating that in like six years.

My friends who learnt history are doomed to watch me repeat it. it.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I just want it to be true so all the jokes work.

Marie Antoinette: Let them eat cake!

French person #1: Cake, like pastry?

French person #2: No, she clearly means brioche!

French person #3: No, she means the stuff in ovens!

*Civil War ensues*

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I just want it to be true so all the jokes work.

Marie Antoinette: Let them eat cake!

French person #1: Cake, like pastry?

French person #2: No, she clearly means brioche!

French person #3: No, she means the stuff in ovens!

*Civil War ensues*
    That wordplay doesn't work in french, though. The french word for cake does not refer to cooking/baking at all. ^^

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I quite like the composition on this page. But perhaps this is an indication that this was a bad plan?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    I quite like the composition on this page. But perhaps this is an indication that this was a bad plan?
    All hats are firmly in place in known locations. Seems fine to me.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    All hats are firmly in place in known locations. Seems fine to me.
    Well... the plan is just beginning and as usual is the first casualty of a battle.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    In fairness, this is probably better than letting her wake up in an unfrozen Mechanicsburg, because at least this way she only has one direction to come from.

Might have been a good idea to try and disguise Agatha and Tarvek though, so Gil can get the drop on her.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Borlaika's rampage has spread beyond the confines of Mechanicsburg - the webcomic server is down. Damn her!
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

27. - Top - End - #57

And the famous Marie Antoinette "Let them eat cake" referred to the substance found on the interior of baker's ovens - it was "caked" onto the side, therefore, cake. One of those cases where an English word has two different meanings as a noun and a verb; a cake you eat, but something can cake onto the side of something else. You can have a ship caked in barnacles.
    This would certainly make sense if Marie Antoinette and the French people circa 1789 were speaking English in their day to day lives; but as surprising as it might seem, they weren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oops.
    Let's hope that thingy that just got aged to dust wasn't zoo important.

Also, what kinda trouble did they run into this time?
    The giant time-monster? Something the Castle caused?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

So did mini-Kestle just get trapped in the time field?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Also, what kinda trouble did they run into this time?
    The giant time-monster? Something the Castle caused?
    The lady clank that is obsessed with preserving Gilgamesh Wulfenbach safe, at any cost.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]