New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Sandbox Hexcrawl world we create together

Welcome potential players as the photo above and the title states this game will be a Hexcrawl in which I hope we all can create a flowing part of a world. The photo above is of a small hamlet the players will be from named Idar Hole where the main building in the hamlet is a large farmhouse owned by the Idar family that founded the hamlet. The game will start out with a recent underground entrance being found in one of the fields outside the hamlet. Your task, explore the ruins and determine if it is a danger to the people of the hamlet or not. What could be in this ruins, ancient curses, lost arcane knowledge, a burial chamber of some forgotten king? Perhaps its a prison that was supposed to be hidden for all of time, no one knows and no adult in the hamlet is really willing to risk their lives finding out. Some of the elders say to just rebury it, however your small group of friends has chosen to explore it first, after all nothing exciting has ever happened in Idar Hole before and this may be the last chance you could get.

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 3.5/Pathfinder

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew Hexcrawl world of our own making through play

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I am looking for 3 players that can post at least 1/week. I have played in too many games where a large player group has killed the game and was orginally going to only make this a two person game but it would make ties on votes difficult so thus the 3rd person.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OotS forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1, you are fresh adventure's with basic training and gear in your field.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard starting gold for a level 1 character of your class.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    This is a small hamlet their is a hedge wizard and a cleric of the Lovers (think Wee Jas and Pelor as a couple, I can explain more if it comes up). Basically I'm asking that the party not be a bunch of wizards all trying to play as its unlikely a hedge wizard would have more then one apprentice.

Spoiler: Hedge Wizard
    Show
    The Hedge wizard in question does create potions that he sells for the town at a small profit. His specialized school of magic is Abjuration with Necromancy and Transmutation banned so he would not be able to teach you spells of said schools. For a familiar he has a badger named Byron (By-ron), and his own name is Ebis.

Spoiler: Shrine keeper
    Show
    The hamlets cleric name is Sister Elizabeth, she is a follower of the lovers and oversees all rites from birth, marriage, and burial. She is a pacifist who does everything she can to help the people of the hamlet.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Anything that can be found in the PHB is fine, outside of the PHB ask and i will decide. But again backwater hamlet.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    4d6b3 roll two sets of stats and you can move one of the numbers from set A to set B to determine your stats. Max hp at level 1

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    If the party is all evil thats fine, if the party is all good thats also fine. Just no chaotic Evil I did it because why not, Lawful stupid, you guys know the routine. Be a good player and its all good as I have seen a CE player not go full psycho.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Free multiclassing

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You guys roll your stuff I will roll what I need to and I will ask if I feel theres something I feel your character would possibly know.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    No homebrew please, if you ask I will more than likely just ignore any submission you submit afterwords. Pathfinder skills to save everyone a few extra skillpoints.

Note the below are d12 rolls

Spoiler: Make Camp
    Show
    When you settle in to rest, choose one member of the party to Manage Provisions. Then, if you eat and drink and have enough XP, you may level up. When you bed down in dangerous lands, decide on a watch order. Then, the GM chooses one person on watch during the night to roll +nothing: on a 10+, the night passes without incident; on a 7-9, the GM chooses 1 from the list below; on a 6-, everyone marks XP, and a Danger manifests. You’d better Stay Sharp!
    • The person on watch notices a nearby Discovery
    • One party member of the GM’s choice suffers a restless night
    • One or more followers causes trouble
    • A Danger approaches—it’s not immediately hostile, but whoever’s on watch had better Stay Sharp anyway
    When you wake from at least a few hours of uninterrupted sleep, and you ate and drank the night before, heal damage equal to half of your max HP.

Spoiler: Navigate
    Show
    When you plot the best course through dangerous or unfamiliar lands, roll +INT: on a 10+, you avoid dangers and distractions and make good time, reaching a point of the GM’s choosing before you need to Make Camp; on a 7-9, the GM chooses 1 from the list below; on a 6-, mark XP, and the GM makes a move.
    • You happen upon a Discovery missed by the Scout
    • The going is slow, or you wander off course. The GM says which, and where you end up on the map
    • You encounter a Danger; whether or not you’re surprised depends on whether the scout has the drop on it

Spoiler: Manage Provisions
    Show
    When you prepare and distribute food for the party, roll +WIS: on a 10+, choose 1 from the list below; on a 7-9, the party consumes the expected amount of rations (1 per person if Making Camp, 1 per person per day if making a Journey); on a 6-, mark XP, and the GM makes a move.
    • Careful management reduces the amount of rations consumed (ask the GM by how much)
    • The party consumes the expected amount and the food you prepare is excellent—describe it, and everyone who licks their lips takes +1 forward

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Skirt length is fine.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I am hoping for a mix of all three

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material?
    I reserve the right to say no to stuff. If its in pathfinder and 3.5 (example the fighter class) use the better option, besides that nothing that immediately jumps out.

Anyways once again welcome and thank you for taking your time to read this and possibly respond I look forward to seeing who applies.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2024-05-27 at 04:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Sandbox Hexcrawl world we create together

I'm in. Quick question though, would Dragonfire Adept be allowed?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ban View Post
    I'm in. Quick question though, would Dragonfire Adept be allowed?

I'm going to say yes, dragons are a part of any game of D&D in some shape or size. I will say that given the starting location is a Hamlet people will see breathing fire as a bit odd same for magic without schooling. But given you lived there for a long time people wouldn't chase you around with pitchforks for simply being you. Even if you did worship tiamat. So the down would be a bit closer to indifferent towards you where someone else might be welcoming if that makes sense.

4. - Top - End - #4

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    I'm going to say yes, dragons are a part of any game of D&D in some shape or size. I will say that given the starting location is a Hamlet people will see breathing fire as a bit odd same for magic without schooling. But given you lived there for a long time people wouldn't chase you around with pitchforks for simply being you. Even if you did worship tiamat. So the down would be a bit closer to indifferent towards you where someone else might be welcoming if that makes sense.
    Got it, thanks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I am interested in giving it a go.

Not sure what to play yet. I’ll put some ideas together, see what sticks.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Interested. Lets rolls some stats and see what we get!

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

@Ancient and Lentrax Any idea what you plan to play?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds interesting. how are we combining PF and DnD? There is a fair bit of diaries, how PF gives you full positive traits, more feats, allowing sundering armor, ect.

As for character concept... I'm not enthierly sure. Since we might have smaller group I'm thinking something more well rounded, perhaps a Druid, Factotum or Summoner
    Spoiler: Set A
    Show
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    Spoiler: Set B
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Seconded for the question from the above post. Are we staying away from traits, archetypes, FCB, etc stuff from pathfinder and sticking with pure vanilla for classes/core races that have PF equivalent? Sorcerer bloodline restricted to PF core book? I am leaning towards sorcerer, rogue or psychic rogue (if available).

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-25 at 01:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    Sounds interesting. how are we combining PF and DnD? There is a fair bit of diaries, how PF gives you full positive traits, more feats, allowing sundering armor, ect.

As for character concept... I'm not enthierly sure. Since we might have smaller group I'm thinking something more well rounded, perhaps a Druid, Factotum or Summoner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Seconded for the question from the above post. Are we staying away from traits, archetypes, FCB, etc stuff from pathfinder and sticking with pure vanilla for classes/core races that have PF equivalent? Sorcerer bloodline restricted to PF core book? I am leaning towards sorcerer, rogue or psychic rogue (if available).

Basically as Yas392 pointed out. Traits are normal from 3.5 as well as flaws (limit of 2), faster feat progression from Pathfinder. Staying more towards the vanilla classes core races from pathfinder as well as skills (Stealth instead of hide AND move silently for instance). And 3.5 allows for sundering of armor and weapons as well.

Psychic rogue is fine
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2024-05-25 at 01:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

@Ancient and Lentrax Any idea what you plan to play?
    In keeping with the spirit of adventure and exploration, I am thinking either a tom boy half elf ranger, or a mischevious orphaned halfling rogue. Either way, outsiders that don't feel quite like they fit in to the town and crave to see what is "out there."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

How the pantheon in this game? I'm looking at some Desna specific character options

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Interested as a Human Crusader who also is as a livestock farmer, butcher, and meat vendor. He has a dream of securing the hamlet from danger and being able to have kids and give them a safe life with plentiful food and comfort. To that end, he's going to this place in hopes of finding riches, glory, or something else to secure the future he dreams of.

He has heard tales of dragons as a child and wishes to have such power to protect his brood. He follows the ideals of Tamara and Obad-Hai.

Spoiler: Sets
    Show

Set 1
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Set 2
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Swap the 16 from set 2 into set 1 over the lowest roll.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2024-05-25 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    In keeping with the spirit of adventure and exploration, I am thinking either a tom boy half elf ranger, or a mischevious orphaned halfling rogue. Either way, outsiders that don't feel quite like they fit in to the town and crave to see what is "out there."
    A war did happen within the area and a lot of prior information about the larger world was lost so this would work perfectly fine in either situation.

How the pantheon in this game? I'm looking at some Desna specific character options
    Mostly 3.5 players handbook deities, I did look up Desna really quick and while not a perfect fit a few things are similar to the being simply known as the Mother.

Spoiler: The Lovers
    Show
    Not much is known about these two individuals even by the most learned of scholars. What is known and within mortal understanding is this. The "Father" was the one that created life in the world, it was he who created all gods that came after except for his counterpart the Mother. He is considered to be of mild nature and his favored weapon is a quarterstaff. Portfolio are life, creation, healing, Sun. The "Mother" on the other hand is known for death, balance, the moon, Community, and undead. While the clergy of the Lovers is sparce and far between many places often accept them as they offer houses of healing and maintain graveyards. It is said each person born is a flower the "Father" plants, or a gift, that is meant to grow and one day die and be given to the Mother at the exact moment they reach their most beautiful in her eyes. The clergy do not see undead as evil per say but as tools. Unintelligent undead were said to once grow the crops of the former empire before the Separation wars and when the empire was invaded by outsiders it was these that were the first to protect the kingdom trying to reduce the loss of life. Intelligent undead however are looked at as a blessing that when the task of the individual is complete are to return to the Mother. An example of this is a town that was under siege and the defenders knew they would not survive the night, instead of going into death and leaving their families to suffer they made a deal with the Mother and when their bodies fell defending the walls they rose again until the last soul of the place they were defending escaped.

If you are set on Desna I will allow it but she would not be considered Mother Moon.

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

I probably should roll now.
    Spoiler: Sets
    Show
    Set 1
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Set 2
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]

I'll move the 17 from set one to the 9 from set two.
    Last edited by Psycho Ban; 2024-05-25 at 03:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Here is a character sheet for my submission. I'll add more fluff stuff in the lower areas later.

Venator, the Friendly Meat Merchant.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly 3.5 players handbook deities, I did look up Desna really quick and while not a perfect fit a few things are similar to the being simply known as the Mother.

Spoiler: The Lovers
    Show
    Not much is known about these two individuals even by the most learned of scholars. What is known and within mortal understanding is this. The "Father" was the one that created life in the world, it was he who created all gods that came after except for his counterpart the Mother. He is considered to be of mild nature and his favored weapon is a quarterstaff. Portfolio are life, creation, healing, Sun. The "Mother" on the other hand is known for death, balance, the moon, Community, and undead. While the clergy of the Lovers is sparce and far between many places often accept them as they offer houses of healing and maintain graveyards. It is said each person born is a flower the "Father" plants, or a gift, that is meant to grow and one day die and be given to the Mother at the exact moment they reach their most beautiful in her eyes. The clergy do not see undead as evil per say but as tools. Unintelligent undead were said to once grow the crops of the former empire before the Separation wars and when the empire was invaded by outsiders it was these that were the first to protect the kingdom trying to reduce the loss of life. Intelligent undead however are looked at as a blessing that when the task of the individual is complete are to return to the Mother. An example of this is a town that was under siege and the defenders knew they would not survive the night, instead of going into death and leaving their families to suffer they made a deal with the Mother and when their bodies fell defending the walls they rose again until the last soul of the place they were defending escaped.

If you are set on Desna I will allow it but she would not be considered Mother Moon.
    Bettwen those two Desna is deffively more my speed. Given that she is good alighment and ofcuing on the postive aspects of the night, not too unlike D&Ds Eilistraee. Also, Desna's Shooting Star is quite a fun trick

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Exchanging the 9 with the 16 from set 2.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hows everyone coming along minus Aegis?

Aegis I have looked at the character and nothing seems to jump out on a quick glance. When everyone is done I'll do a deeper dive

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I got everything figured out, now all I need is to write it all down.

After some considersion, I ended up going with Ehlonna. With a character who moved into the hamlet to be closer to nature.

21. - Top - End - #21

Zombie

Are we using Dragon Magazine? More specifically, the Power Surge feat from Dragon 313 (it allows DFAs to use metabreath feats).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Are we using Dragon Magazine? More specifically, the Power Surge feat from Dragon 313 (it allows DFAs to use metabreath feats).
    Looking at the feat I don't see anything wrong with it ( not exactly sure how IT opens up metabreath weapons anymore then just taking a metabreath feat but it's cool.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

@dantiesilva Do feats outside of core needs approval or can we just use splat books?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The rules in Draconomicon specify that you need a Breath Weapon with a cooldown based in rounds to even take Metabreath Feats. DFA's is just at-will with no cooldown expressed in rounds. You as the DM could rule that the cooldown is just 0 rounds and that DFA can natively take Metabreath Feats in your game.

Without that explicit clarification folks will likely either seek out Power Surge to make the cooldown 1 round, or find a second source of breath weapon (Dragonborn of Bahamut is the best option, since 4 levels of Dragon Shaman hurts) to qualify to take the feats, and then apply them to the DFA's breath weapon once the character has qualified for and taken the feats with the second breath weapon.

The precise interaction or intention isn't laid out anywhere to my knowledge, so the base assumption tends to be DFA can't take Metabreath Feats without jumping through a hoop or two somewhere.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, there are a few feats that have requirement that boils down to "you can use it" and it feels silly when you can't take them because of technicality. Just look at different variants of improved flight across the books

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm willing to hand wave needing power surge to qualify for metabreath. So long as you meet all other requirements that is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Will we be tracking food?

28. - Top - End - #28

Zombie

I'm willing to hand wave needing power surge to qualify for metabreath. So long as you meet all other requirements that is.
    Thanks, in that case, I'll choose Maximize Breath.

29. - Top - End - #29

Zombie

Last question, could I buy a Magebred Mule to lug the party's stuff around?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Will we be tracking food?
    Yes but in the scale of the map each Hex is only 6 miles so it shouldn't be a huge investment early one for resources unless you plan on going in a straight line or something. After all you need food for there AND back again. Someone with survival though could spend some of their time gathering food and such (I have rules somewhere that tell how much you move if you are doing this while traveling).

Last question, could I buy a Magebred Mule to lug the party's stuff around?
    Ebis does not breed animals so you will not be able to buy a magebred animal. That's not to say you won't be able to find a place that does sell them eventually or that you cannot find a mine that has adamantine or mithral for instance, just that at the moment it is unavailable due to it not being something the hamlet can do. Armor for instance would geared more towards leathers and hides where you could special order something simple to be made by the local blacksmith or you could find another town/village. Weapons that are easy to find would be axes, bows, hammers and scythes/sickles as they are mostly tools the people use. A battleaxe might be harder to find but the same blacksmith that makes an axe or greataxe would have an idea how to make one.