New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default how best to utilize 'Contingency' spell

What are your favorite uses of the Contingency spell (both the spell cast and trigger)?

At a table I was playing at, a Player had Greater Invisibility with a simple code word trigger so at the start of a significant combat they said the trigger word (no action cost), went invisible and then cast a big spell on the same turn with near counterspell impunity.

What other sorts of shenanigans can be created?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: how best to utilize 'Contingency' spell

Your table, your rules, but I think you're stretching the definition of circumstance a bit. I'd rule that "I say <word>" is not a circumstance, it's an event. "I am surrounded by enemies", "I am below 50% hp", and similar are circumstances. If they want Power Word: Greater Invisibility, then put in the research time and create the spell. Then they can cast it multiple times per day and only consume 1 spell slot each casting.

I'm not saying it's not a cool way to make the spell useful, because I personally don't like the spell as it's designed.

You might be able to have some fun with Fire Shield or Stoneskin. Dimension Door and Misty Step would be nice but can't be used due to the "place you can see" part. Several other potentially useful spells are already reactions.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeowulf View Post
    Your table, your rules, but I think you're stretching the definition of circumstance a bit. I'd rule that "I say <word>" is not a circumstance, it's an event.
    He's not stretching anything. A circumstance is an event that determines another. First definition of the word in Merriam Webster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

4. - Top - End - #4

BarbarianGuy

"I define the circumstance to something I create" is cheesy. You've changed it from a spell that has an external trigger (even if unwanted) to an on-demand reaction spell. It can be allowed, but that doesn't make it less cheesy.

Then again, the spell itself is almost trash so go nuts.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Your table, your rules, but I think you're stretching the definition of circumstance a bit. I'd rule that "I say <word>" is not a circumstance, it's an event. "I am surrounded by enemies", "I am below 50% hp", and similar are circumstances. If they want Power Word: Greater Invisibility, then put in the research time and create the spell. Then they can cast it multiple times per day and only consume 1 spell slot each casting.

I'm not saying it's not a cool way to make the spell useful, because I personally don't like the spell as it's designed.

You might be able to have some fun with Fire Shield or Stoneskin. Dimension Door and Misty Step would be nice but can't be used due to the "place you can see" part. Several other potentially useful spells are already reactions.
    Wait, what? How are you saying that DD and MS don't work with Contingency?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

Both of them say "to a place you can see". Contingency states you cast the contingent spell at the time you cast Contingency... which means you define your destination when you cast Contingency and not when it triggers.

Like I've been saying, though, I hate the spell as it's written but that doesn't change how it's written.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I almost always think of Contingency as a reactive defense spell. The classic (and maybe one of the best) use that comes to mind is "cast Dimension Door when I am reduced to 30% or fewer of my hit points."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Both of them say "to a place you can see". Contingency states you cast the contingent spell at the time you cast Contingency... which means you define your destination when you cast Contingency and not when it triggers.

Like I've been saying, though, I hate the spell as it's written but that doesn't change how it's written.
    It works with DD like this, since you can describe where to DD to.
    "I DD 500' straight up"

Quote Originally Posted by spell text
    You teleport yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You arrive at exactly the spot desired. It can be a place you can see, one you can visualize, or one you can describe by stating distance and direction, such as "200 feet straight downward" or "upward to the northwest at a 45- degree angle, 300 feet."

You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn't exceed what you can carry. You can also bring one willing creature of your size or smaller who is carrying gear up to its carrying capacity. The creature must be within 5 feet of you when you cast this spell.

If you would arrive in a place already occupied by an object or a creature, you and any creature traveling with you each take 4d6 force damage, and the spell fails to teleport you.
    My bard had that as her contingency, and since she always had Feather Fall prepared, she didn't fall 500'.
    You don't have to see anything for DD. (I can see your point on MS, though).

And as I read through it, yeah, as written it's a bit clunky.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-26 at 12:50 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think my wizard's Contingency was, "If I am rendered unable of taking or choosing to take actions, cast 5th-level Dispel Magic."
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    I think my wizard's Contingency was, "If I am rendered unable of taking or choosing to take actions, cast 5th-level Dispel Magic."
    So it triggers when you go to sleep, or when you get surprised or anyone else takes a turn in combat?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    So it triggers when you go to sleep, or when you get surprised or anyone else takes a turn in combat?
    Fortunately my DM had some common sense, so...no.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

12. - Top - End - #12

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Fortunately my DM had some common sense, so...no.
    I'm not sure what does common sense have to do with letting a player get away with extremely bad wording on an ability that require precise language, but if you say so...
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

No matter what your contingency is you're going to want DM buy in (especially since as has been noted the spell is kinda wonky as written.).

Anyways my go to Contingency is "Resilient Sphere should anything aside from natural sleep be about to cause me to become incapacitated." After talking to my DM he agreed to allow it to work similar to Shield in that I would be able to roll the save or see the attack or whatever and then if I should fail the contingency would take effect and protect me from becoming incapacitated in the first place. This is not a wording or use of the spell that I would expect everyone to be okay with. If you get DM buy in though, it's great. Protected my guy from so much stuff. A less contentious version where you pop the sphere before rolling a save or being attacked would be almost as good but of course in that case maybe you would have made your save and didn't need to stop concentrating on whatever you were already concentrating on.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

"If I die, teleport my corpse and everything it is wearing or carrying to the location where my clone is waiting."

Designate the location to be one with ample security features to take out any extra threats or surprises that were forced onto your corpse. Now, you have all your stuff when you step out of the clone vat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

limited to level 5 spell max.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm not sure what does common sense have to do with letting a player get away with extremely bad wording on an ability that require precise language, but if you say so...
    contingency doesn't require precise language. it just says that "You describe that circumstance when you cast the two spells." nothing about that implies that there's some devilish lawyer listening to the casting and using the precise verbiage you use to decide when the contingency takes place. it doesn't even differentiate whether the "you" is referring to the PC or the player.

All that is required is that the player describe to the DM what it is they want to trigger the contingency, and the DM understand what they mean. everything else is extra.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kazaryu View Post
    contingency doesn't require precise language. it just says that "You describe that circumstance when you cast the two spells." nothing about that implies that there's some devilish lawyer listening to the casting and using the precise verbiage you use to decide when the contingency takes place. it doesn't even differentiate whether the "you" is referring to the PC or the player.

All that is required is that the player describe to the DM what it is they want to trigger the contingency, and the DM understand what they mean. everything else is extra.
    Yes, and it triggers the first time those circumstances come to pass, whether you like it or not at that point, so being specific IS important. "The DM understands what you mean" does not apply, because the DM can't read your mind at the moment you cast the spell if you desrcibe the circumstances badly.

If you say "It triggers when I'm unable to take or choose to take an action", the spell triggers the first time that happens, you don't get to argue "But I obviously didn't mean unable to take an action because I'm asleep or knocked unconscious by damage or poison" (and that's being generous and assuming you're using in-character language, because otherwise "when I am surprised" or "when it's someone else's turn" is perfectly valid situation when you can't take an action) just because Dispel Magic does not help with that.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2024-05-27 at 10:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    limited to level 5 spell max.
    Huh. I thought I recalled it upcasting for higher levels. Woops.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    What are your favorite uses of the Contingency spell (both the spell cast and trigger)?

At a table I was playing at, a Player had Greater Invisibility with a simple code word trigger so at the start of a significant combat they said the trigger word (no action cost), went invisible and then cast a big spell on the same turn with near counterspell impunity.

What other sorts of shenanigans can be created?
    1. Grow a cloned body in a Demiplane. Delete your current body and inhabit the new one. You are now a native of the demiplane

2. Cast Contingency with Banishment as the contingent spell. Set the trigger to whatever you like. Mine is "I say the keyword 'evacto', sign 'evacto' in sign language, or become incapable of performing either action."

Once activated you have a full minute in your demiplane to decide if you want to just stay there or if there's something you can do to prepare yourself for whatever situation you just escaped from. All you need to do within that minute is release your concentration on Banishment. To keep yourself there indefinitely just let the spell last the full minute.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    1. Grow a cloned body in a Demiplane. Delete your current body and inhabit the new one. You are now a native of the demiplane
    The logic is incredibly suspect. Physically, a clone, is identical to the original...so if the original is not extraplanar, it would follow neither is the clone.

But if your DM and your group is ok with some logical lapses, enjoy your fun!

21. - Top - End - #21

Yes, and it triggers the first time those circumstances come to pass, whether you like it or not at that point, so being specific IS important. "The DM understands what you mean" does not apply, because the DM can't read your mind at the moment you cast the spell if you desrcibe the circumstances badly.

If you say "It triggers when I'm unable to take or choose to take an action", the spell triggers the first time that happens, you don't get to argue "But I obviously didn't mean unable to take an action because I'm asleep or knocked unconscious by damage or poison" (and that's being generous and assuming you're using in-character language, because otherwise "when I am surprised" or "when it's someone else's turn" is perfectly valid situation when you can't take an action) just because Dispel Magic does not help with that.
    i mean...you obviously do get to argue, or rather, disagree, with your DM. thats just basic table etiquette. obviously there's also etiquette that covers how much arguing is appropriate, and that varies from table to table. But...hot take, i guess? you're allowed to disagree with the DM. within the bounds of etiquette and not ruining the fun for everyone involved. and more importantly, clarifying meaning should nearly always be allowed, noone likes to be misunderstood.

but, more importantly, the dm understanding what you mean is all that matters. and that doesn't require that they interpret your words through the lense of lawyerese. Just because that is the phrase they ultimately rested on as the "in character" description, doesn't mean that there wasn't enough discussion for the DM to understand what was meant.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    The logic is incredibly suspect. Physically, a clone, is identical to the original...so if the original is not extraplanar, it would follow neither is the clone.

But if your DM and your group is ok with some logical lapses, enjoy your fun!
    If you really need to jump through some extra hoops on this one you could always use reincarnate on the demiplane. Reincarnate specifies it makes you an entirely new body. You'd have to take a few extra days to make sure you get a body you like, but meh.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    If you really need to jump through some extra hoops on this one you could always use reincarnate on the demiplane. Reincarnate specifies it makes you an entirely new body. You'd have to take a few extra days to make sure you get a body you like, but meh.
    The core rules are silent on what can change a creature's plane of origin.
    A DM could rule that a PC that reincarnates inside a Demiplane, still has the Prime Material Plane as their plane of origin, because that is where their soul was formed.

5e's version of Planescape might have further guidance on Petitioners, that I am unaware of, that might allow for alterations to one's plane of origin after death.

Under Core rules, it is up to the DM, and they might reject your suggestion, Damon.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-05-29 at 05:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    The core rules are silent on what can change a creature's plane of origin.
    A DM could rule that a PC that reincarnates inside a Demiplane, still has the Prime Material Plane as their plane of origin, because that is where their soul was formed.

5e's version of Planescape might have further guidance on Petitioners, that I am unaware of, that might allow for alterations to one's plane of origin after death.

Under Core rules, it is up to the DM, and they might reject your suggestion, Damon.
    The DM can reject whatever he wants, he's the DM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

A couple of boring, but useful uses for Contingency:

- Cast False Life upcasted to lv5 when you are at less than 10 HP
    - Cast Polymorph on yourself into a Spinosaurus whenever you are at less than 10 HP and not concentrating on anything (Tome of Beasts has added some very good forms for Polymorph, better than the T-Rex).
    - If you have access to Cure Wounds, setting up a Contingency to heal you whenever you are at 0 HP is a good option, it saved me a few times.

Personally I don't think Dimension Door should be allowed as Contingency, because it doesn't target you. Nor does it feel safe to teleport yourself 500' away without knowing where you will end up. But every table is different.
    Last edited by follacchioso; 2024-05-30 at 10:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

If using anything that pops you up from 0hp, make the trigger be being at 0hp at the start of your turn. You don't want to be re-downed.

Or maybe upon your first death save result. This will trigger on your turn regardless of the result, and also the first time someone hits you while at 0hp, since that is a failed death save.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    Personally I don't think Dimension Door should be allowed as Contingency, because it doesn't target you.
    disagree, but no biggee.
    Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    Nor does it feel safe to teleport yourself 500' away without knowing where you will end up. But every table is different.
    He who will not risk cannot win.
    My "500' straight up" carried with it the risk that when it triggered that space would not be available, and I'd take the damage for a failed DD.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-30 at 03:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    My "500' straight up" carried with it the risk that when it triggered that space would not be available, and I'd take the damage for a failed DD.
    There's a greater risk of not being able to cast Feather Fall, either because you've already used your reaction, because you're out of slots, or because of an incapacitating condition.
    *splat*

29. - Top - End - #29

RangerGuy

My current one is Resilient Sphere when "I am able to concentrate on a spell having forcibly lost concentration"

Its mostly intended to kick in after a failed concentration check but it could kick in after being stunned and then recovering or pretty much anything that causes concentration to drop. The key is that having lost concentration my wizard will neither be locking down the enemy nor have defences up so will be vulnerable. This switches her to mostly invulnerable until she's had time to consider her options and do something about it.

Its not perfect, nothing is. But its quite neat and has saved her once or twice.

One of the real limitations of Contingency is how few really good defensive spells are non-concentration and actually work out of sequence. Which seems like a good piece of design to me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If using anything that pops you up from 0hp, make the trigger be being at 0hp at the start of your turn. You don't want to be re-downed.

Or maybe upon your first death save result. This will trigger on your turn regardless of the result, and also the first time someone hits you while at 0hp, since that is a failed death save.
    I'd consider put the pop point higher, maybe 20% or lower, to try and avoid being downed at all. You are better able to defend yourself from follow up if you're not incap, not prone. Might even still have a reaction or save a spell you're concentrating on. If they enemy has muti-attack, there are more than one, they have AoE, etc you are basically a sitting duck and could easily go from down to dead before your next turn starts, even if the contingency goes off on the death save.