New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1351
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Ah, a shame. Alright, I'll post something when I come up with something else. (I wanted to do a ghost of a Construct thing).
    Books and the people who read them.
    Sometimes, a little madness is a good thing.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be talking about the creatures from "From Beyond" would you? They certainly would seem to fit the contest well. But then I didn't think they were minor old ones. Oh well.

Owrtho

Nope. This would be a unique critter
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just posted the pituku. I just hope it's SFW enough for the boards. Someone posted a creature once which was an unliving fetus or something, so I think it should be fine.

And no, it has nothing to do with unliving fetuses. It just says "genitals" .

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Woror:
    I realize they are a work in progress, so I am just attempting to help with that progress. I would suggest that the will save be limited to once per round against any given effect, otherwise they can zig-zag between two squares (one in, one out of the effect) after reaching a given effect, until they either make the save, or run out of movement for the turn (and then try again the next round).

For logistical reasons, my entry will also be posted much more as a W.I.P. than I had originally intended.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heh, the Work in Progess wasn't mean't to discourage criticizing. It just seemed easier to put that in so people wouldn't grade it half finished, then assume everything is the same afterward when it came time to vote.

I'll rework the ability to clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Your manly chin makes Jay Leno weep.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry for the double post.

Your Free Spirit is interesting, Draco. It's got an Uatu the Watcher feel to it. Assuming it's meant to be CR 15 (based on SR and HD), the creature is rather overpowered. I imagine it'd be overpowered on up through epic levels. It makes +21 touch attacks which damages Wisdom, deafens and blinds. Blinding makes further touch attacks much more likely to strike. Due to the fact that it nearly has omniscience, the Spirit should get the surprise round, making the first touch attack nearly impossible to miss. Then round one, it gets /ten/ touch attacks against the now blind foe. Deafening is usually a minor detail, but on top of blindness, it's insurmountable and the -4 to init is likely killer here. It will, on average, deal 19ish wisdom damage per round. Any creature that takes 19 wisdom damage is either helpless or impotent afterwards. Add to this the fact that it can charge from one thousand feet away, has greater teleport at will, has regeneration and that it is well within it's power to plane shift to the ethereal plane to trail a foe, wait until it's guard is down and sneak attack again, it is nearly impossible to beat in combat.

You basically have to deal 72 hp to it in one round without whoever it attacked to beat it. Most groups fighting it won't know what it is until the TPK is already done so will likely try a ton of stuff it is immune to. The rogue is useless against it, the magi won't know what to use and the fighter merely has to hit a 28 AC with a 50% miss chance.

It might be possible to trap on of these in a Planar Binding, I'm unsure if Freedom of Movement trumps that or not. All and all, this seems like something that could TPK without breaking a sweat.

I feel fights should be a puzzle. Sometimes the solution is merely "Whack monster with sword" or sometimes the solution is slightly more obscure, but there should /be/ a solution and the players should be reasonably expected to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Your manly chin makes Jay Leno weep.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyace View Post
    Heh, the Work in Progess wasn't mean't to discourage criticizing. It just seemed easier to put that in so people wouldn't grade it half finished, then assume everything is the same afterward when it came time to vote.
    Same goes for mine approximately...

I just didn't want you to be like "Yes, YES, I KNOW... I will get to it sometime between the other 20 things I have noticed that I can improve about it..."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-10-06 at 04:19 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm...

The theme reminds me of the Name and the Soul. Which was mostly spirit and no flesh (with some truename mixed in it), but it was corporeal.

Ah well... I guess I'll mix music with incarnum this time.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Your Free Spirit is interesting, Draco. It's got an Uatu the Watcher feel to it.
    I didn't know what Uatu was for sure... now I do. Here is the Wikipedia page.

Assuming it's meant to be CR 15 (based on SR and HD), the creature is rather overpowered. I imagine it'd be overpowered on up through epic levels.
    I am not targetting a specific CR in this case... in fact I almost never do it that way.
    Pardon me while I philosophize a bit.. this is supposed to be a thread for learning after all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Targetting a specific CR is a find and dandy way to build a creature... just not the way I tend to work. Designing for a CR is good for building a world maybe... and of course is a primary consideration when designing a unique creature for a specific adventure that you have already worked out... in this forum, however most of the creatures are designed independant of a specific campaign, and if their is a setting (such as a video game or whatever) it is something with the power levels already described in that work. This results in much more creative designs in my opinion.
    In any case there are two ways I usually do creature design:
    -The first is to take what the thing does and work from there. Wing Dragons, for instance, are masters of flight. An individual may lose to a Roc, but it will not be because the Roc outflew them... they are Tony Hawk crossed with Chuck Yeager, and amped up on methaphemines (but without the shakes or whatever), they are HOT-SHOTS. If I ever get access to a decent version of 3.5 Spell-Jamming i am going to make a PrC that will let the spell-jam.
    -The other way is to take what something is and build around that. Hopping Stomachs are undead stomachs... Ok, so what is an undead stomach going to do what will make it interesting and effective? I settled on emulating an Acid Arrow.

IOn this case I started with what this thing does... I might totally change my decision of what this thing looks like, but I know what they DO. They observe things. Do they also interact much or are they aloof? I haven't fully decided. The SR is very much up in the air, and the HD is a minimum based on the idea that a nigh unstoppable scout shouldn't be able to be acquired with anything less than Planar Ally, Greater or Planar Binding, Greater (and even that might not be enough for where these things seem to be ending up... might need to push it up to where you need Gate).
    In short, regardless of the HD, this may very well end up an Epic CR creature.
    It makes +21 touch attacks which damages Wisdom, deafens and blinds. Blinding makes further touch attacks much more likely to strike.
    Due to the fact that it nearly has omniscience, the Spirit should get the surprise round, making the first touch attack nearly impossible to miss.
    There nature is not aggressive usually... the PCs are going to probably attack IT to drive it off or kill it so that it doesn't blab on there activities. Granted approaching undedected is an exercise in futility, but I don't think I gave it gobs of Sense Motive... wandering towards it and then suddenly drawing your sword to charge is a perfectly plausible way for a battle to start.
    Then round one, it gets /ten/ touch attacks against the now blind foe. Deafening is usually a minor detail, but on top of blindness, it's insurmountable and the -4 to init is likely killer here.
    Eh... 10 might have been a bit much... I thought it seemed kinda wimpy of an attack so I thought I would have to make it up on quantity...
    It will, on average, deal 19ish wisdom damage per round. Any creature that takes 19 wisdom damage is either helpless or impotent afterwards. Add to this the fact that it can charge from one thousand feet away, has greater teleport at will, has regeneration and that it is well within it's power to plane shift to the ethereal plane to trail a foe, wait until it's guard is down and sneak attack again, it is nearly impossible to beat in combat.

You basically have to deal 72 hp to it in one round without whoever it attacked to beat it. Most groups fighting it won't know what it is until the TPK is already done so will likely try a ton of stuff it is immune to. The rogue is useless against it, the magi won't know what to use and the fighter merely has to hit a 28 AC with a 50% miss chance.
    I will note that a single Heal can get the person it dropped the first round back in the fight, (note that it can't kill) and if that was the cleric... well the cleric isn't the one who has the offense abilities that can smush this thing anyway... either way it loses a round of effectiveness. And even if I "only" set it to the CR 15 you are thinking of, then the cleric could theoretically have prepared (or have on a scroll) Heal, Mass which can basicaly start the party back to full strength every time.

It might be possible to trap on of these in a Planar Binding, I'm unsure if Freedom of Movement trumps that or not.
    I assume that you can Bind/Ally it perfectly well...

All and all, this seems like something that could TPK without breaking a sweat.
    So... CR 25? 30? What do you think?

I feel fights should be a puzzle. Sometimes the solution is merely "Whack monster with sword" or sometimes the solution is slightly more obscure, but there should /be/ a solution and the players should be reasonably expected to find it.
    Eeeeeeh.... yes and no... CRs should be picked so creatures are beatable... but some things are more "plot points" and "stage dressing" than anything else... or maybe the first encounter for a party with these things, the solution is "Just leave it alone, it is only curious."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-07-08 at 06:17 PM.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

My Furnace Shadow's up. It was inspired by the hour I had to spend in a lecture theatre with no heating this morning.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Okay I have a couple of ideas

A Great Old One

A unique possessor spirit

spectral abominations

or ghost bears
    http://k43.pbase.com/u4/roamer8/larg...lbinoKoala.jpg

any preferences?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have to say the first or third. There's nothin like creatures that drive you insane with their mere appearance. Though couldn't you kinda say that feature of the old one makes them abominations (thus in this case the first is just a more specific version of the third)?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Typo toward the end of Furnace Shadow in the "combat" section. They should allow COLD blooded opponents to flee not WARM blooded.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Typo toward the end of Furnace Shadow in the "combat" section. They should allow COLD blooded opponents to flee not WARM blooded.
    Whoops, thanks.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Firbolg in the Playground

NOW they're done!

I'd deeply appreciate comments on what works, what doesn't, where I need to improve, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

So, does anyone have criticism on my submission? If so I'd really appreciate it.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    So, does anyone have criticism on my submission? If so I'd really appreciate it.

Owrtho
    I'll be going through all of them over the course of the next few days, no worries

18. - Top - End - #1218

Sorry about the spammage; it has been fixed!

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #1219

Preliminary work for the Unspoken Chorus is up...hopefully I'll finish within the next few days.

And Gareth? Read the bit at the top of the entry, won't you? I think it demonstrates quite nicely why we work well together.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

20. - Top - End - #1220

Hahaha. Good to see you, man! Post in Ashbringer!

Aside from that, how've you been? I'd offer comments on your monster, but it/they aren't done yet :p

My extended homebrew sig

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, my first monster ever is posted. Please point out anything that doesn't seem quite right (besides the overall concept, that is )

22. - Top - End - #1222

I'd comment on it, I really would, but it's just so - so rediculous! I can't take it seriously long enough to examine it >.<

My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'd comment on it, I really would, but it's just so - so rediculous! I can't take it seriously long enough to examine it >.<
    Success! The more ludicrous the better, I say.

(Yes, this terrible idea was spawned during a late-night Rock Band 2 session p: )
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-10-09 at 03:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Banned

I am so entering this contest. I gotta get to work on a critter right away.

25. - Top - End - #1225

The Unspoken Chorus is now finished. Any critique?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    The Unspoken Chorus is now finished. Any critique?
    I certainly like them. The feel is chilling, and they look simple to use without dulling down on creativity. I sure as heck wouldn't want to fight these things (I'd love to run them, though )

Good work!

(Hey, has anyone else noticed that this competition contains a monster that makes multiple nut jokes, as well as an incorporeal demon bug that devours human genitals? What kinda competition you runnin' here VT?)
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-10-10 at 11:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    (Hey, has anyone else notice that this competition contains a monster that makes multiple nut jokes, as well as an incorporeal demon bug that devours human genitals? What kinda competition you runnin' here VT?)
    Just wait till we get to the GITP Moncomp XXX. Oh yeah, you know it.

Chikka chikka wow wow...

Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-10-10 at 11:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    I certainly like them. The feel is chilling, and they look simple to use without dulling down on creativity. I sure as heck wouldn't want to fight these things (I'd love to run them, though )

Good work!
    Thanks! What I'm mainly concerned about it how deadly they can be though...sure, they take a while to actually put their victim in any real danger, but they can't be seen or heard, and the victim can't communicate to explain what's wrong. It's what I was aiming for, but I was afraid I may have gone to far.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

29. - Top - End - #1229

No, they're fine on the deadliness level, but you should note what happens if the victim is rendered deaf somehow. Another thing to consider is the Swarm Attack trait; Swarms, as a subtype, all have it. Also, is it wisdom DAMAGE or wisdom DRAIN?

(I'm about to call you)

My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #1230

Unfortunately, I'm about to not answer, as, as I stated, I'm with a bunch of people...I may have a computer, but I'm still rather busy. I'll give you a call when I'm not.

As for the advice, thanks. I have forgotten about Swarm types, and should include that deafness negates the attacks (rather strange to deafen your ally, but it is a valid strategy). It's also Wisdom Drain, as it says in the attack description.

And I'll have a review of the Daughters of Silence up for you shortly.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions