New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy: Limit Breaks

Are we going to see the Flurry of Blows!Omnislash that Cloud used in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, or is that going to remain a movie effect?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    ... that works really well, it's almost like...

Oh god! Chuck Norris is Cthulhu! It all makes sense now. Everything is meaningless! Only in death can we escape!

*hangs self*

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlechicory View Post
    Are we going to see the Flurry of Blows!Omnislash that Cloud used in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, or is that going to remain a movie effect?
    Um, that's pretty much the standard Omnislash, as presented in post #93 of this thread. What, 15 automatic critical hits in one round isn't enough for you?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Ungarmax (Ex)
    You can perform up to 18 ranged attacks in 1 round, each automatically hitting the opponent of your choice; these may be split among any of your opponents within reach (30’ from your initial starting point).

Prerequisites: No spellcasting classes; must use some type of ranged weapon; must have performed Satellite Beam 6 times; must be able to perform Big Shot, Mind Blow, Grenade Bomb, Hammer Blow & Satellite Beam.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Waterkick (Su)
    You can automatically hit 1 opponent with your Flurry of Blows, provided you do not attack anyone else in that round. In addition, you gain 2 extra attacks in your Flurry of Blows, the second of which inflicts an additional 1d8 cold damage due to a blast of water at the end. Roll 1d6 & consult the following list:
    • 1 = “Miss” (you fail to use the Limit Break, thereby wasting it)
    • 2/3/4/5 = “Hit” (you use the Limit Break, but none of the hits are critical)
    • 6 = “YEAH!” (you use the Limit Break & all hits are critical)
    Prerequisites: No spellcasting classes; your party must have defeated 96 opponents with you present; must fight unarmed; must be able to perform Beat Rush & Somersault.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Whip Kick (Su)
    You leap into the midst of your enemies, delivering a series of spinning kicks before sending a blast of air at them; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 5d8 points of force damage to each. In addition, if you make a successful Charisma check (DC15), you perform another Limit Break that you know for free; the DC increases by 2 for every extra Limit Break you have already performed.

Prerequisite: BAB +8; must be able to perform Feral Strike.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

White Whorl (Su)
    You conjure a cyclone of raw magical power; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 5d8 points of force damage to each. In addition, if you make a successful Dexterity check (DC15), you perform another Limit Break that you know for free; the DC increases by 2 for every extra Limit Break you have already performed.

Prerequisite: BAB +8; must be able to perform Red Spiral.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Zanmato (Ex)
    You can use a slashing weapon to automatically hit any one opponent, severing the head of any creature it strikes. Some creatures, such as many aberrations & all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems & undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off.

Prerequisites: Must be an Outsider; must use a slashing weapon; cannot have any other Limit Break.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Um, that's pretty much the standard Omnislash, as presented in post #93 of this thread. What, 15 automatic critical hits in one round isn't enough for you?
    Whoops, didn't look at the details closely enough. My bad!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    ... that works really well, it's almost like...

Oh god! Chuck Norris is Cthulhu! It all makes sense now. Everything is meaningless! Only in death can we escape!

*hangs self*

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question. This refers to all your Limit Breaks for Tifa's Limit Breaks.

Isnt Multiple automaic Criticals Overpowered? First off, You get to make a crit with all attacks in a furry of blows. and a 6 isnt that hard to roll. Also If I remember correctly, You had to stop three reels. Like Wakka's Attack Reels.

Just some thought.
    My WorkMy Current Projects
    Spoiler
    Show
    NONE
    My Future Projects
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time Mage
    Dimensional Fighter

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Each reel on Tifa's Limit Break represented ONE of her learned attacks. It gets up to 7 reels. Each hit/Yeah/miss affected only one of her Limits. I should note that I have encountered two variations of her reels actually, one where each non-miss activated the next in the chain, the other where each reel only represented one specific attack. In the former you had to get 7 successes to do Final Heaven, the other just had to succeed on the last reel. And the reels weren't hard either.
    Spoiler
    Show

PsyBlade, Ayna, and Baiyan by GryffonDurime

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deshrimp View Post
    Question. This refers to all your Limit Breaks for Tifa's Limit Breaks.

Isnt Multiple automaic Criticals Overpowered? First off, You get to make a crit with all attacks in a furry of blows. and a 6 isnt that hard to roll. Also If I remember correctly, You had to stop three reels. Like Wakka's Attack Reels.

Just some thought.
    Considering the rarity with which these abilities can be used (much have 100 OP's), combined with the fact that one has to meet other prerequisites (in Tifa's case, must have 1 level of Monk, cannot be a spellcaster of any sort, must fight unarmed, & must take all of the previous breaks in order to gain the next one in the chain) in order to use it, I don't see it as being any more overpowered than playing a gestalt character or using action points.

As for the mechanics, I will admit that I simplified that one. It is less accurate than most other Limit Breaks presented here. I may retool it, if I have time & the demand to do so is high.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Limit Break Feats

Double Overdrive
    [General]
    Prerequisites: Limit Break(s), BAB +20
    Benefit: You double the amount of OP that you accrue via any means.

Triple Overdrive [General]
    Prerequisites: Limit Break(s), BAB +25
    Benefit: You triple the amount of OP that you accrue via any means. This feat does not stack with the Double Overdrive feat.

S.O.S. Overdrive [General]
    Prerequisites: Limit Break(s), BAB +15
    Benefit: You double the amount of OP that you accrue while your current HP is 10% or less than your maximum HP.

Overdrive --> XP [General]
    Prerequisites: Limit Break(s), BAB +10
    Benefit: You convert all of your OP to XP; 1OP is worth 10XP.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

How much damage does a Zanmato do to opponents such as golems and undead which can survive the loss of their head? What happens if you use it on something which has more than one head, like a hydra or an ettin?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    What, 15 automatic critical hits in one round isn't enough for you?
    No .

But on the question that these are gained like feats: How do you handle Epic-ness?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

To IvoryRaven: See the vorpal rules here.

To Korias: Well, you can gain a new Limit Break basically anything you can gain a non-bonus feat. So that results in a grand total of 7 Limit Breaks (1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, & 18th) before going epic. I would say that past 18th level, you cannot gain any more Limit Breaks. Seven of them is enough for any one character, really; you only gain bonus feats as an epic character anyway. FFVII characters gain more than in any other game, & they have 7 at most.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Bonus Material: Final Fantasy VI Desperation Moves
    In most cases, you can use the Desperation Attack Limit Break without issues. However, for campaigns that seek to emulate the style & flavor of FFVI as accurately as possible, this Limit Break alone may not be enough (especially for a large cast of characters, like that found in FFVI). So, for fans of that game (myself included), I have elaborated on the Desperation Moves as much as one reasonable can. Please feel free to use these Limit Breaks instead, as they should be balanced with the other ones list above.

This also explains why I only did 1 Limit Break per post. The spacing here is unpleasant & the formatting took forever. It was much better doing only 1 at a time.

Riot Blade (Su)
    You can conjure a number of sharp metallic blades, which you cast at your enemies; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 5d8 points of force damage to each. In addition, any opponent struck by it is exposed to poison (black adder venom; Injury type (DC11), initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage 1d6 Con).

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must be either an Aasimar or a Tiefling; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Mirager (Su)
    You can pounce on an enemy, catching them by surprise; automatically hits 1 opponent, dealing critical (2×) damage. In addition, this attack catches an enemy flat-footed, denying them any Dexterity bonus to their AC & allowing you to add in your Sneak Attack damage (which is not multiplied by the critical hit).

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must have the Sneak Attack special ability; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Royal Shock (Su)
    You can create searing light rays, which blaze through your enemies; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 8d8 points of force damage to each.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must be of royal blood; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Tiger Break (Su)
    You can pounce on an enemy, pummeling them with your fists; automatically hits 1 opponent with a free Flurry of Blows, provided you do not attack anyone else in that round.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must have the Flurry of Blows special ability; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Spin Edge (Su)
    You can throw your sword at your enemies, spinning as it slices & returning to your hand like a boomerang; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing critical damage to each.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must use some type of sword; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Shadow Fang (Su)
    You can pounce on an enemy, catching them by surprise; automatically hits 1 opponent, dealing critical (3×) damage. This attack does not allow for the addition of Sneak Attack damage, however.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must have the Sneak Attack special ability; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Back Blade (Su)
    You can launch into a series of hacking sword swipes, carving up your enemies; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing critical damage to each.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must use some type of sword; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Moogle Rush (Su)
    You can pounce on an enemy, pummeling them with your fists; automatically hits 1 opponent, dealing 5d8 points of force damage.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must be a Monstrous Humanoid; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Red Card (Su)
    You can conjure razor-sharp playing cards to throw at your enemies; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 5d8 points of force damage to each.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; must use some type of ranged weapon; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Star Prism (Su)
    You can create three star-like points of light, which surround an enemy; 1 random opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC40) or die.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; only spellcasting classes; cannot have any other Limit Break.

Sabre Soul (Su)
    You can channel magical power through your weapon, killing an enemy with it; 1 random opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC40) or die.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; only spellcasting classes; must use some type of melee weapon; cannot have any other Limit Break.

X-Meteor (Su)
    You can conjure a storm of meteors, which crash down upon at your enemies; automatically hits multiple opponents (up to 4), dealing 5d8 points of force damage to each.

Prerequisites: Your current HP must be 10% or less than your maximum HP; only spellcasting classes; cannot have any other Limit Break.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, these are awesome, seem relitivily balenced (Some need tweaking. Fury. ) One question. How do you acquire these? I'm sure it's been written, I just haven't seen it.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

I like them Zeta Kai, Great job!

19. - Top - End - #139

A query: what about FFIX's trance attacks(Zidane's anyway)? Those are pretty much limit breaks.
    Last edited by Nu; 2007-08-31 at 01:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fualkner Asiniti View Post
    Okay, these are awesome, seem relitivily balenced (Some need tweaking. Fury. ) One question. How do you acquire these? I'm sure it's been written, I just haven't seen it.
    Information for acquiring Limit Breaks is denoted at the bottom of post #4. It was always there, but I've added a large bolded title so that it can be seen more easily.

And as for Fury (post #62), what would you change?
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2007-08-31 at 05:22 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    A query: what about FFIX's trance attacks(Zidane's anyway)? Those are pretty much limit breaks.
    While it is true that as Gralamin said he did make an entry for them, I find it not matching the game as well as I would had foolishly hoped... Seeing it broken down for each of the characters in the game might have been NICE but wouldn't really have fit the D&D classes very well in most cases (Zedane's being the exception). Other than that I think the duration is a bit long since major FF battles tend to run longer (in rounds) than major D&D fights. For the duration I would say 1 round plus one round per 4 (3?) character levels might be ABOUT right... I was especially (and again foolishly) looking forward to seeing Freya Crescent's Trance ability (her jump attack hits every enemy every round and she doesn't come down until the Trance ends). The reason I was especially looking forward to that was that I did up Freya's abilities as a Prestige Class and I wanted to see Zeta Kai's take on it. (And yes, even though I have seen several versions of Dragoons on this board, I guess I really should get around to posting mine some time soon).

Suggestions to Zeta Kai:
    Double White should probably allow casting of any clerical spell... I mean in the game it allowed buffs and the rarer debuffs and attack to be spammed out just as well, then again there might be too many good combos without that limitation.... but no parallel limitation was placed on Double Black for wizards. Also "for free" makes it sound like they are not consumed... which would be nice, but doesn't match the game and is probably too powerful. I would just say "May quicken one spell as it is being cast each round, without increasing its casting time, nor altering the spell level."
    Lastly, I am SURE it is a typo that you are doubling the Sorcerer's INTELLEGENCE bonus... I would give them Double Black (same as wizards), or swap the abilities you currently have between the Sorcerer and the Wizard.

All in all an very impressive peice of work (from the skimming I have given it so far).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Bravo. The elemental deathblows from Xenogears could probably be made balance in the same manner.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

the only comment I have is that the feats you made are impossible to get. after 20th level, it's considered a bonus to attack isn't it? I do not have that book with me at the moment. so to get the 25 BAB you'd need to be a non human.

just a minor nitpick
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, BAB increases every other level once epic. So if you were a fighter, 25 BAB is possible by level 30.
    Spoiler
    Show

PsyBlade, Ayna, and Baiyan by GryffonDurime

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

My mistake. I concede the point
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

27. - Top - End - #147

Chimera

Phew... that's a lot.

I really like these! You obviously put a lot of effort into making them. So, after getting my praise out of the way, here are some notes I jotted down:

Blade beam, big shot, and many, many others, need some sort of effective range

Stuff like dynamite needs an area of effect, also

(If you don't feel like going through every LB and assigning a range, something like "unless otherwise noted, an LB using a ranged weapon uses the weapon's first range increment as range" might work)

Why do some of them have "you can't take any more limit breaks after having this one?" I understand it's because they're the FF characters' "ultimate" breaks, but isn't that what the whole prerequisite system is for? If someone gets Blitz Ace, a powerful limit break, as early as they possibly can (level 9, I suppose), why would they even want to use something as comparatively weak as Beat Rush?

And if they do want to get this weaker limit break after having Blitz Ace, why stop them? Or are you trying to make it so anyone who uses this system has to exactly follow FF character progressions? If so, then maybe you should space out the the levels you get limit breaks (and bump up the capstone LB's power), because if all of the LB's are part of a "tree" of prerequisites, almost everyone is going to stay on the path of the first LB they take. Meaning that no one will be getting a new LB after like, level 12, because they will have gotten their capstone. Why not get rid of the whole "you can't take any more limit breaks after this" thing?

The stuff about killing 72 enemies, or whatever, seems unneccessary, and cumbersome. Although, it IS one of those "Final Fantasy" flavored things...

Is Desperado a burst, like a fireball? Since it's "an explosive sphere", do the enemies have to be grouped together?

Is Dice too powerful? I haven't worked out the math, but it seems like it does an awful amount of damage. Might just be my imagination, though.

I won't lie, I sort of started skipping ahead after a while- there's just too many! The ff XII limits are interesting, as is Trance. The various blue magic limits seem like too much trouble to bother with, but it's still cool that you included them.

All in all, good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

*creates thread zombie*

What about the Aura spell from FFVIII?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    *creates thread zombie*

What about the Aura spell from FFVIII?
    Ah, the status effect that increases the odds of getting a Limit. Yeah, I forgot about that. I'll have to whip up something to address that. Thanks for the reminder.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

I may be being stupid about this, but do OPs accrue from one encounter to the next, or even a day to the next?
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."