New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether

There is a popping sound in the air as more pirates burst into flames. Then you realize it is the grenades they are carrying. The fire is causing them to burst open, making a popping sound as they burst. Though it is hard to make out the pops over the sounds of fiery death.

Suddenly there is another violent lurch beneath your feet. And another.

One of the ships is breaking apart!

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Idiots! What fool uses grenades in aethership combat?! Aimari thinks, hurling another pair of flames any enemy sailors she sees that aren't near her comrades. With the captain dead, her former plan was cancelled.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AoE someone(s).

D: (2d6+2)[6] Ref DC 16 half

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

Bart covers his face from some of the oncoming debris. "Dammit, Aimari! Stop blowing everything up!"
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

I hope the pirate ship is falling, Bellamy thinks to himself realising that he's become quite attached to the airship and her crew. "Right, you lot," he bellows at the top of his tiny lungs, "Yer ship is dead and about to fall. If you want to live then drop yer weapons and get over to the gangplanks and beg the crew for parlay. One chance only."

With that he turns in his saddle to Gadashon, "Give me your sword and get under a claw and I'll carry you to safety." Then he has Bruce scoop up the body of the captain and the man who was fighting her and launch into the air. If he doesn't surrender his weapon Bellamy just leaves him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if it's not my turn but I've completely lost track of events now.

Bruce: Free action to yell, move action to take the sword.
    Bellamy: Move action to grab the bodies, move action to launch into the air.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gadashon drops to a knee and presents his sword across both of his open palms to Bellamy.

"I have no quarrel with your crew."

The sailor then checks that Inigo is secured, one end around the unconscious Captain and the other around himself. Once he is satisfied of this, he allows himself to be picked up by the enormous bat. As he is lifted up into the air, his eyes come to rest upon the limp form in the creature's other claw... hatred burning unmasked behind the man's dark eyes.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran feels the shaking beneath his feet, and knows it for the death throes - of one of the ships.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) to work out which ship is breaking apart.
    (1d20+5)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

"That's the point! Their own weapons will spell their demise! Only a bit longer and they'll break apart!" Aimari replies, armor flashing in the light of the flames.

This is probably the most impressive you've ever seen her - hood drawn back, her crimson red hair on display, the red-gold armor she wears (it becomes apparent that it's made not only for protection, but also for looking good: the armor follows her curves closely) shining brightly. In her hands a pair of fires burn, and you can see that some of the shining light is actually a shifting blanket of tiny flames around her chest. Aimari's expression is a bit on the wild side, her eyes alight as if they, too, were about to burst into flames.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

Barty ducks out of the way of more debris and pirate bits. This was stupid, and coming from someone who claimed to know better than everyone else. "What if they take us with us? Or how about we capture their ship instead of blowing it up?! Aetherships can't be cheap, and I am sure the captain would be happy to have another one!"
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grym watched Aimari with a slight smile. She had taken back any hostilities she had towards the red-headed flame caster.
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

"Captain! Theres no time to gawk!

Erin charges into Kieran, knocking him back onto the Lady's Gambit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bull Rushing Kieran back onto the ship, instead of on the gangplank. Assuming Kieran doesn't resist (or loses the Str check) Erin moves Kieran back onto the ship (H28). If he wins by 5 or more, Erin also moves onto the ship (H28, putting Kieran at I29). If Erin loses the Str check, Erin is at G27.

Erin provokes an Attack of Opportunity from the sailor at I26 and Kieran.

Full Round: Charge (Bull Rush)
    (1d20+5)[13]

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

'Hhhnnggnhh'

Kieran has the breath knocked out of him as Erin thrusts him back aboard the Gambit.

'Arghh...good move Erin. I was jus' thinkin'...'

Kieran stands up suddenly, and rushes to the helm.

'Give me some canvas - we've got to get clear, in case her magazine blows!'

Kieran turns the helm, trying to move away from the pirate ship.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Sailors rush to the side rails, deck axes swinging as they start chopping at the ropes trying to clear the Gambit from the pirate ship.

Some of the pirates tried to make a frantic rush over to the Gambit, but in their rush many of them were shoved off the narrow gangplanks, to die a creaming death as they fall to the world below.

The last of the ropes snap as the Gambit pulls off, though her speed has been drastically reduced by the massive damage to her hull.

Spoiler
    Show
    Random DM checks:

(1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[15]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran looks up - he sees Aimari, looking majestic and commanding.

Lass really comes out of her shell in battle

'Erin, I need a damage report - get some men together and start fixing anything vital! See if Master Stoneforge survived, an' get him tae help ye'.

'Aimari, Mistress Grym and Master Barty! Get those sky-rats tied up an' under guard! Kill 'em if they try tae resist!'

'Melanie, can ye fly up an' around the ship? Especially the envelope - I need ye tae check fer leaks an' damage'.

'Master Saltfoot, take command o' the deck crew'.

'Arryl, help the wounded, an' get them tae the sickbay - Master Wainwright, give him a hand'.

'An' Rok....'

Kieran's voice trails off...as he looks about he cannot see the familiar hulking shape of his friend.

'Where's Rok?' Kieran's voice cracks and his stomach turns to ice.

Spot (1d20+1)[20]

'Rok? ROK!'

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you would notice Rok's missing before Maia.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin takes his sword, which had fallen to the ground when he rescued Kieran. He gives a proper salute from the ground. It would be comical seeing this from a large draconic creature on his knees, but Erin manages to pull it off majestically, and more importantly, with respect.

Calm. Subtle. As a wyrm. I can do this.

"Aye sir, I'll get right on that. Hm. You two, with me."

Dragons above and below, I need to start learning the crew's names.

Erin goes off to check the damage below, it would be the worst with all the cannonfire. He sends one of the men he just commandeered to find Stoneforge and bring the engineer to him.

When he notices the wide berth he's being given, he self-conciously wipes the blood off of his sword and sheathes it. Then he stows his shield and continues on with the duties set to him.

He shifts his presence ever so slightly, bringing out the sharp eyes of the crew.

Assume Aura of Senses (+1 Spot, Listen, Initiative)

Erin collects the information he needs to write up the damage report Kieran asked for.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

Barty begins to tie up any remaining pirates with Larry's assistance. Any pirate unfortunate to die from touching the Wight will be mourned with a "He was... uh... 'resisting.'". Larry is acting under orders that any new Wights are under Barty's control so he doesn't accidentally get the crew killed.

16. - Top - End - #976

Gadashon called up to the halfling flier.

"If you have need of hands, mine are currently idle, small one! I shall surrender the remainder of my weapons, for the time being, and can be of service to your crew. Your ship falling from the sky benefits me in no fashion anymore than you, I dare to say. I will be of no trouble to you."

With the moment of hesitation in Bellamy's response, the rogue looks to him with a pleading expression... filled with sincerity.

"Please. Allow me to help, while there is still time. I give you my word."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Larry

Larry looks at the rogue. "Can I kill this one? The words coming out of his mouth are sounding like resistance..." the wight growls. He rubs his hands together in anticipation.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari stalks the parts of the deck where the surrendering pirates gather, putting down anything she thinks looks too lively with a hateful glance and a brief surge of flame in one hand. Anyone actively resisting is roasted where he stands, probably putting an end to thoughts of joining him as the smell of his roasted flesh fills the air.

Still riding the rush of her rage, Aimari strides with wide steps and extended arms, her cloak billowing out behind her rather than shrouding her, the excellent design and vibrant colors on display. If anyone dies under Larry's fingers she snaps at him to step back and let others do the grabbing, glaring at him with obvious malice, before quickly searching the body for anything useful and dumping it on the deck. Then she dumps it over the side and blasts it with flame on the way down, seeming to delight in sending the flames from her outstretched fingers.

As Larry asks to kill the man brought in by Bellamy, Aimari turns to him again.

"Be quiet or I'll torch you where you stand, fool," she snarls, her voice filled with more hate than should be possible. "The captain will decide whether or not to kill him. Even if he does resist, let someone else handle it. You've always annoyed me and I won't miss the chance to see you roast," she spits at him.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-02-22 at 12:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Bruce lands easily on deck, depositing the captain and the other pirate unceremoniously in a heap. Bellamy hears the captain's orders and shouts a brief "Aye" in response.

"You there," he points a spear at Gadashon, "Whatever your name is, get your old crew onto our deck before she sinks. Make them drop weapons and tie each other up if you want them to live. Anyone holding a cutlass who isn't crew follows the floundering bird down. We may well both go burn anyway but trouble makers won't get the option."

To anyone not engaged in repairs or dealing with prisoners Bellamy yells at them to lend a hand. He doesn't know the crew that well but anyone that he's seen before with obvious skills who isn't working gets put on repair duty and anyone else has to deal with prisoners. When issuing orders he starts with "What can you do?" and "Why aren't you doing it?" In his experience most people know their jobs well enough and just need someone to tell them to get on with it. Bellamy is primarily a scout and not ship crew so he doesn't know their jobs and is wise enough not to pretend to.

From the advantage of his height on the back of Bruce he should be visible and have the authority to boss others around that his normal 3'1" wouldn't allow. Though in less stressful times he probably looks quite comical. As the surviving pirate crew are ushered below he grabs a hat from one of them and plonks it on his own head, "Pirates don't deserve such excellent headgear, he announces and then follows with an incredulous, "Where in the darkest hells does a pirate get hold of a fez anyway?"

If he can Bellamy will use his command over natural materials and the elements to damp out any fires, to repair serious tears in the envelope and to bolster the crew.

Spoiler
    Show
    Create Water can put out fires as long as they aren't oil based and Mending should be able to fix a torn or cut sheet or a broken bolt. Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace will help any crew member involved in securing cargo, tying off ropes or rushing about doing essential maintenance work. Healing is available to the seriously injured too.

How fast is the pirate ship descending? Is there any chance that we can salvage anything from her before she falls?

If not and she doesn't break up I suggest later that we send down recovery crews for salvage. Know Direction and a landmark on the ground below should fix the current position so we can find the debris again.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Larry

Larry can not help but grin. Aimari is probably the best friend the wight has ever had. "I would be so disappointed to not have the satisfaction... but if you want the thrill of the kill, go ahead, friend."

21. - Top - End - #981

Gadashon, repulsed by the wight's approach, visibly shrinks from the vile creature. When Aimari stays the undead's touch, he sighs and relaxes his shoulders.

"Many thanks, my lady.", the rogue says with a flourishing bow as he removed his turban.

When Bellamy gives his orders to the man, Gadashon replaces the headpiece and gives him a similar bow. He speaks softly to Inigo, "Stay here, old friend."

He then moves to the gangplanks and shouts, "You heard the halfling, you hellhounds... blades and irons overboard! Move your stinking corpses if you don't want to become one in the waste below! Lie down and put your noses on the deck if you value your life!"
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2013-02-22 at 12:37 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari turns from Larry to the captive, appraising him with a neutral glance, the fire in her gaze still present but not focused on him.

"I do not especially care for you or your life, but you've managed to make a good first impression," she says. "Now run along and do as the shortest foreigner says," Aimari adds, gesturing to Bellamy.

23. - Top - End - #983

"You care enough to spare it, for the time being... and that is all that I care about, also for the time being. I do, however inappropriate the timing, have the matter of my personal effects on-board the vessel we now depart from. Might I retrieve them?"

Gadashon knew this was a bold request, and made it obvious that he was aware.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

"Come with me then." Melanie states, the young girl dropping down out of the sky following her quick scan of the canopy. "Or tell me where they are and how to safely retrieve them. I don't much care which."

Her clothes and body are aflame with Light, a false wind playing through the strands of her hair. She glances at the pirate vessel beginning its steady descent towards the ground. "Now."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Ninja'd! Keeping it for the description, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aimari looks over at the partially-burning ship that is slowly growing further away.

"I'll consult the captain," the mage replies, striding off towards the aforementioned man and beckoning Gadashon to follow. By her tone, it seems like he's managed to avoid rousing her ire too much, although she seems annoyed. Her eyes don't burn as brightly as before, which might notice, being of equal height, before she turns from him. The dark red tattoos on her face seem sinister, making her appear more fearsome. From the front he can see that her hair is parted by crimson headpieces, separated into 5 triangular 'shafts' at her forehead, with the hair being led by the headpieces to hang in front of her nose.

After she turns, he can see that the rest of her hair is gathered back into a long braid that disappears behind her cloak until it billows up in the wind, revealing that it is wrapped around a golden ring, perhaps one hand's length in diameter, as if it were a hand grasping it. The beckoning hand, shrouded by flames, bears a shining golden ring on the middle finger.

Approaching Kieran, Aimari stops the flames around her hands burn out, simply disappearing as if they were never there.

"This man wishes to retrieve his belongings from the enemy vessel," she declares.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized I've been using the wrong color - Aimari's speech is actually Indigo.

Let's just use the text color to differentiate her normal, quiet, semi-insecure voice with the stronger, confident one she has now.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-02-22 at 01:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #986

"I thank you as well, my lady."

Gadashon took a secondary look at the unconscious Captain, lying nearby and exhaled deeply.

"Inigo, come.", the pirate commanded his rope as it unwound from its captive and snaked along the deck. He pointed at the fore boom of the other ship and the enchanted rope shot out across the open space and tied itself securely. He then looked back at Melanie and called out above the noise.

"Now hold on to Inigo and do not let go!"

The loose end of the rope wound itself into loops around both of the humans. With that, Gadashon took a running leap and began to swing towards the flailing ship.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2013-02-22 at 02:05 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie giggles at Gadashon's suggestion to hold on, and then promptly does the opposite. Grabbing Gad around his torso, she focuses her power and brings the two down gently onto the deck of the pirate vessel.

"Silly." She giggles. "Why use ropes when you can fly? Now where're your things? And..." She thinks for a moment. "Did you have a treasure room? The ship I mean. I'm sure that would be appreciated by some of the crew."

Spoiler
    Show
    Full mote allocation to Weightless.

Melanie has a fly speed of 30' with Perfect Maneuverability.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-02-22 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

28. - Top - End - #988

Gadashon lets out no small noise as he is lifted off of the ship and into the air.

He laughs loudly with wonderment, "Yours is truly a magnificent and gifted crew! My things are in the crew's quarters... below decks, as is the treasure hold."

The pirate quickly heads to where his things were stowed, gathering them with as much haste as he could manage. He then would lead Melanie towards where he knew the most valuable treasures to be kept. Gad knew that they would not be able to carry much with them... so they must choose quality over quantity.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Gad and Melanie

The pirate ship is little more than a wreck. As you go below decks you can see the amount of damage caused by your short battle. Much of the crew quarters is gone. Blood has stained the little decks that remain, and the Aether is but a pace away.

However, your room is still there, and you arrive as another death throe shudders through the ship.

Aboard the Gambit

A loud stream of curses can be heard from below decks as you take stock of the damage from the battle.

The vast majority is coming from beneath a section of deck that has fallen during the fighting, beneath which you can hear Stoneforge cursing as he struggles to free himself from the mess that landed atop him.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #990
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grym Did as Keiran asked and helped with the pirate round-up. She watched the interaction between Melanie and the stranger and stifled a hiss. She knew Melanie was smart enough and strong enough to handle herself, but as far as Grym was concerned she was still a kitten. Back on the Gambit she approaches Bruce and scratches him behind the ears. "You were very brave today." She looks over at Bellamy and gives him a smile. Looking over at Barty and Larry, She gives Barty a hearty slap on the back and gives Larry a disdainful look. Grym wished she could have done more, but knows she can't pity herself.
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar