New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A (by RAW) IX

Q 402

Can a cleric/wizard benefit from the practiced spellcaster feat?

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 402 Certainly.

You should note that you must select one spellcasting class for Practiced Spellcaster to apply to. A Cleric/Wizard could take the feat twice.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 403

A Scout uses a move action to cover some distance (10 ft+) and then readies an action to shoot at a spellcaster when he starts casting. Does that work and does he get the Skirmish damage (provided the caster is within reach) when he then hits the caster (who started casting).
    Last edited by Amiria; 2009-07-27 at 03:53 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #904

GnomeWizardGuy

A 403

Yes if you attack in the same round as you moved.

Q 404

Can practiced spellcaster be used to increase the amount of spell you can cast? And also with it can you get higher level spells?

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

A 404

No - Practiced Spellcaster only increases your effective caster level for variables such as damage, duration, dispelling etc. It does not grant bonus spells or access to higher level spells.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Troll in the Playground

A 404 Not Found

Practiced Spellcaster only increases your CASTER LEVEL, not the level of spells you know or can cast per day anything like that.

Thus, a Wizard 4/Fighter 3 with Practiced Spellcaster still has as many spells per day as a 4th level Wizard, but his caster level (that determines, for instance, how long mage armor lasts, how much damage burning hands does, etc.) is 7. (That is, CL 4 from his Wizard levels, +3 from Practiced Spellcaster, which specifically can't improve it beyond your character level.)
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-07-27 at 04:35 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 404 additional info

In the special case of a Cleric using a properly aligned Candle of Invocation to prepare spells, the higher caster level (from the Candle, Practiced Spellcaster, and other CL boosts) will allow preparing and casting spells as if their Cleric level were the same as their caster level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle of Invocation
    He can even cast spells normally unavailable to him, as if he were of that higher level, but only so long as the candle continues to burn.

8. - Top - End - #908

Q 405

Anyone know of a list of constructable constructs out there? I have a wizard that is crafting specialized and I'm trying to find all the golems/constructs I can make. Aside from the clockwork mender, the earliest construct that I can see that I can make is a flesh golem and then a clay golem. But I'm not evil so I can't make the flesh golem.

A 405
    EDIT: Found it here on page 20.
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2009-07-27 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Found the answer
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

A 405 (sort of)

The Effigy template can be found in Complete Arcane on page 153/154. It will allow you to make a Construct version of almost anything you feel like.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 406

When failing to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, do you lose a charge or not? As a matter of fact, Eternal Wands? Staffs? Scrolls?

11. - Top - End - #911
    Orc in the Playground

Q 407

Silly question I know...

a) Is Warshaper immune to crits and stunning only when she is in alternate form or is she immune always?

b) Can she use the other supernatural abilities (Morphic Weapon, Body, Healing, Reach) only when she shapes or can she use them in her natural form too?

Thank you
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

A 407

The Warshaper class description specifically says that its class abilities only apply when the character is in a form other than his own.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 406 No.

Use Magic Device cannot use a charge from a device if the check is insufficient to use the device. Nothing happens.

14. - Top - End - #914

Q 408
    by RAW can Iron heart surge (ToB) be used to disable an Antimagic field.
    an antimagic field is a spell that is affecting you. when used effect imediatly ends.
    thus does it stop affecting everyone or just you?
    How about dominate humanoid? if someone has cast dominate humanoid can you take a standard action to iron heart surge it away?

Remember by RAW.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 408 No.

The Iron Heart Surge maneuver will immediately end "one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." As this specification is grammatically distinct from "1 round or longer", the Surge is only effective against impediments with a stated duration of some number of rounds; durations expressed in minutes or other units of time are unaffected. Antimagic Field has a duration of 10 min./level.

There is no clear answer as to whether the Surge ends the effect just for you or for everyone, so that's a matter of DM discretion.

I don't know any Dominate Humanoid spell. Perhaps you meant Dominate Monster? That has a duration of 1 day/level.

EDIT: I've searched all the D&D spells I could find and have not found Dominate Humanoid.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2009-07-28 at 09:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #916

Q 408 Clarification.
    sorry i ment Dominate Person.
    1/day per lvl is greater than one round per lvl?
    since one round is just another way of saying 6 seconds.

Assuming the person dominating you leaves room for you to take a standard action in your orders.
    Eg they say don't move.
    Iron heart surge is mental so you can do it without moving.
    would it shake it?

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Dominate Person
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One humanoid
    Duration: One day/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject’s mind.

If you and the subject have a common language, you can generally force the subject to perform as you desire, within the limits of its abilities. If no common language exists, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “Come here,” “Go there,” “Fight,” and “Stand still.” You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically.

Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival (such as sleeping, eating, and so forth). Because of this limited range of activity, a Sense Motive check against DC 15 (rather than DC 25) can determine that the subject’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (see the Sense Motive skill description).

Changing your instructions or giving a dominated creature a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.

By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as interpreted by the mind of the subject, though it still can’t communicate with you. You can’t actually see through the subject’s eyes, so it’s not as good as being there yourself, but you still get a good idea of what’s going on.

Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.

If you don’t spend at least 1 round concentrating on the spell each day, the subject receives a new saving throw to throw off the domination.

Protection from evil or a similar spell can prevent you from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so warded, but such an effect neither prevents the establishment of domination nor dispels it.
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-07-28 at 09:18 AM.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    Q 408 Clarification.
    sorry i ment Dominate Person.
    1/day per lvl is greater than one round per lvl?
    since one round is just another way of saying 6 seconds.
    Yes, it's greater; however, that is irrelevant because of the specific language used. The Surge is limited to effects with a duration listed in rounds. If they had specified "1 round or longer" an effect with a duration of 1 day/level would be affected; however, they specified "1 or more rounds". The language used does not allow for numeric equivalencies, and thus Iron Heart Surge can do nothing to Dominate Person.

For an analogy, consider names. Enrique is the Spanish equivalent of Henry. However, there was no king Enrique VIII with six wives in England; there was only Henry VIII.

18. - Top - End - #918

I've started a new thread. There's a ruling from The Sage that it doesn't matter how the duration is measured and that the language in question simply means it does not apply to instantaneous effects. (No comment on whether you could end it for more than one person or for an AOE that doesn't target you like antimagic field)

Q 409

RAW: You make a Use Rope check +10 to oppose someone's Escape Artist check who you have tied up. You make the check at the time they attempt to escape, not at the time you tied them up.

My question: if your Use Rope bonus has changed in any way between when you tied them up and when they try to escape, which bonus applies?
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-07-28 at 10:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 409

You use the modifiers in place at the time of the check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Rope
    You don’t even make your Use Rope check until someone tries to escape.
    (Just because it doesn't make sense is irrelevant. That's the RAW.)

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 410

Do spell effects on a creature end when the creature dies? A spell like Owl's Wisdom targets only creatures, so does it end if you die? (I'm assuming a corpse is an object and not a valid target for Owl's Wisdom, correct me if I'm wrong in this regard). What if the creature is resurrected before the duration of the effect expires? What if the creature has a contingent resurrection spell that triggers the instant they die?
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2009-07-28 at 11:33 AM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 410

Unless specified otherwise, the spell continues. The target for a spell is only required to be valid at the time of casting.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Banned

Chimera

Q411
    Could someone clarify how a warblade regains manuvers? The text is a bit confusing it sounds like you can do a do a regular attack and then use a swift action to recover all your manuvers OR you can spend a standard and swift action to recover them.

Like I said the text was a bit confusing but that was what I got out of it.
    Last edited by Samb; 2009-07-28 at 02:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 411

As a Warblade, the only thing you have to do to recover your maneuvers is to do a full-attack. You can then recover them as a swift action. Do note that you cannot change which maneuvers you ready, you only recover the maneuvers you had readied.
    Last edited by Cedrass; 2009-07-28 at 02:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

A 411 Correction

A Warblade must use a swift action to recover all his maneuvers, which must be followed by either a melee attack or a standard action to do nothing. You can not recover maneuvers after making a full attack in the same round. You must take the swift action first.

Q 412

For the purposes of Persistent Spell, what constitutes a "fixed range"? Does it have to be a non-variable number like 30 feet or 1 mile? What about Touch range?
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2009-07-28 at 03:00 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 412

Fixed is fixed; i.e., specified exactly in the spell description without any computation or external reference required. "Touch" works at your reach (a variable distance based on size, normally from 0' to 30') and thus it does not qualify for Persistent Spell.

26. - Top - End - #926

A 412

Cannot be applied with Touch range - but you can stack Reach Spell to give it a fixed range of 30'.

Fixed range means just that - a number that doesn't change. It doesn't apply to the range categories like Long or any X ft./level range.

Q 413

Inspired by Curmudgeon's A412

Can Touch spells be cast with a Reach weapon (and gain the benefit of the weapon's reach)? If not normally so, is there a feat to allow this?
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-07-28 at 03:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A412

RAW is unclear on whether Touch range qualifies, and I've seen quite a number of people argue each side of it.

Other than that, yes it has to be a non-variable number. If a spell's range could be different depending on your caster level, it doesn't qualify. In particular, the Close, Medium, and Long ranges do not qualify.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 406 No.

Use Magic Device cannot use a charge from a device if the check is insufficient to use the device. Nothing happens.
    A 406 continued

Unless you get a mishap result on the "activate blindly" usage of the skill, which states that "magical energy gets released but it doesn’t do what you wanted it to do".

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 413

A metamagic feat to do so is Smiting Spell (Players Handbook II). There's also the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability, which does exactly what you want.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 406 continued

Unless you get a mishap result on the "activate blindly" usage of the skill, which states that "magical energy gets released but it doesn’t do what you wanted it to do".
    This is true, but Activate Blindly doesn't actually state if a single charge or charges are used up in the process, or if the magical energy comes from the structure of the device independent of the charges it holds. (You could destroy a scroll with Activate Blindly in any case, because on failure you can incur the normal scroll failure mishap.)