New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fears 4: The Whisper Killer - Game start on Page 7

Recruitment is now closed. The game has begun here

Welcome to the Recruitment Thread for Fears 4. Some of you may remember the original three Fears games from the days of the long-long ago, but for those that don't: Fears is a horror-themed WW game set in the fictional city of Haven. The series has a on-going continuity of characters (both my own and your RP) and setting that spans all three existing games and will be continued into this one. This game's setting is built just as much from your input as it is mine.

But maybe I'll just let the previous games speak for themselves. Without further ado:

Fears 4: The Whisper Killer
    Previous games:
    The Fears of Pegasus Manor
    Fears 2: Nightfall
    Fears 3: Full Circle

Five years have passed since the Pegasus Manor burned to the ground and ended the ambitions of Taylor Soyer, the man that called himself the Master. The monsters known as Fears had vanished alongside the horrid building, leaving behind only destruction and a very scared populace.

We tasted their terror...

But people are nothing if not resilient, and five years is a long time in today's day and age. Buildings were rebuilt, starting at the ruins of the Manor and working out. Concrete spires and parkland soon covered the scars the old manorhouse left behind. Long-standing city landmarks like Cooks were re-furbished and opened to a populace eager for something, anything, to distract them from what just happened. Soon enough, the people resettled into new routines as neighborhoods slowly started returning to normal and the dead were buried. Even the events of the Night and Taylor's reign thereafter began to fade, at least from the public consciousness, as news started to focus on other things and the day-to-day incidents of an average American city. Soon even the survivors of those final months couldn't be heard over the resurgence of day-to-day concerns and normalcy. And when the man that had been dubbed "The Whisper Killer" arrived no one was willing to listen to those that said something was very, very wrong.

There was nothing we couldn't see...

The Whisper Killer evaded police with ease, no one could even come close to finding out nearly anything about him. Even the idea that the Whisper Killer was male was just investigators playing the odds. The killings made the news both for their brutality and the fact that the Whisper Killer was seemingly unstoppable.

We rose from nothing before...

But an encounter in the old park changed things. This time the Whisper Killer's intended target survived.

Divided we were weak...

The attack on Victoria Reid came without warning, and the very first thing that happened was something filling Victoria's head with wave after wave of crippling fear: an ability that both Masters, Taylor and Sacha, and shown. How Victoria escaped is unknown, she refuses to talk about it. She remains the only known survivor of the Whisper Killer.

I tried to send warnings...

Victoria gathered allies, other survivors that hadn't forgotten or fled the city. There was no mistaking that power, and no mistaking what it meant.

But now it might be too late...

The evidence was there for anyone that wished to see: the Whisper Killer was exhibiting the same powers as the Fears had, and the sobering possibility that the power that once bought the entire city to near-ruin was returning was all too real.

If the Whisper Killer was somehow attempting to revive that fell power, then he had to be stopped at all costs.

I suppose that's my cue...

Roles and other rules:

Village:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victoria Reid (Baner)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victoria was the first person to uncover the possibility that the Whisper Killer may have something to do with the power of the Manor that was destroyed five years ago. She survived the events of the Night and an attack from the Whisper Killer, and has been putting those skills to use protecting potential targets.

Scries as Victoria Reid/Baner

You won't take another!: Once per night Victoria may choose a player to protect from night kills.

Amateurs!: If Victoria prevents the Copycats' Night Kill, she gains a single Scry action for each successful bane.

Rook (Seer)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man with all the answers, at least that's what he would have you think anyway. If there's one thing Rook has, it's info, and if he doesn't have it he knows where to get it. Between his own shapeshifting abilities and web of informants there's little that escapes him.

Scries as Rook/Seer.

A little bird told me: Rook's contacts and abilities allow him to scry one player per night to learn their role.

Agents (Masons)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The eyes and ears of Rook. Your group has currently gone to ground, so you have become isolated from Rook and the others.

Scries as Agent/Mason.

Networked: The Agents start the game knowing who the other members of the team are.

Aaron Marsh (Voider)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there's one thing that could get the attention of Aaron Marsh, it's rumors of the power behind Tayler Soyer somehow re-awakening. He barely escaped the last time five years ago and the destruction Soyer wrought was bad for business besides. The disturbing similarities between this "Whisper Killer" and the former Master of Pegasus Manor have brought the old immortal out of the shadows again.

Scries as Marsh/Voider.

I stopped you once...: Aaron has the capability to interfere with the abilities of the numerous scouts and spies of the Whisper Killer. Once per night he can attempt to nullify the night ability of another player. He will not be told if he was successful and this cannot nullify a night kill.

Cross (Fool)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cross was too engrossed with his "studies" (read: conspiracy theories) to notice what was going on with the Whisper Killer until it was right in front of his face, and now that he knows he simply must be involved. Unfortunately for everyone else involved Cross is constantly trying to force everything into his pet theory of the day, making his advice unreliable at best.

Scries as Cross/Fool.

But it must be this!: The player will be told they are the Seer. Once per night he may scry a player, but will receive a random result save for the seer, who will always scry as the fool. Scrying the same player more than once will give the same result each time.

Victim (Villager)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A victim of the Whisper Killer. Scries as Victim/Villager.

Renee Devereux (Meddler)
    Spoiler
    Show
    An on-again/off-again contact of Rook. While she primarily uses the info broker as a fence, she can be persuaded to put her talents to use if the right incentive is involved (hint: the right incentive is usually money).

Scries as Renee/Meddler

Pain in the...: Once per night she can select one player, if the Devil, Shadow, or the Seeker, Hunter, scries that player the result will come back with an Interference result. Or, the player Renee selected will be protected from the Master's Scream for Me! ability. Renee only selects one player and one ability per night.

Safehouses: Every 2nd night, Renee may choose a player to be protected from Night Kills.

Wolves:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Whisper Killer (Master):
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one knows exactly who the Whisper Killer is or where he came from. No one's even sure it's a he. At first they were written off as just another serial killer, but then the Whisper Killer started showing abilities similar to the ones both Sacha and Tayler Soyer had shown people started to take notice. Is this person somehow connected to what happened five years ago? Has the power that caused the Night returned?

Scream for me!: Every night phase, the Whisper Killer selects another player to target with their fear-causing ability. A player affected by this ability cannot point in the next phase (this cannot be used to force an autolynch) or make any night actions in the next night phase. If this ability targets Hunter or a Copycat, the Whisper Killer will be informed that they've targeted a wolf.

Lies and shadows: The Whisper Killer scries as a Victim as long as Hunter is still alive.

My next victim: The Whisper Killer nominates one player for the night kill.

Shadow (Devil)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initially little more than a theory until just recently, Shadow appears to be the "man behind the man" so to speak of the Whisper Killer. The fact that this person appeared just as the Whisper Killer started showing his abilities and that they appear to be following the naming style of certain Fears from five years ago is not lost on people like Marsh and Reid...

Scries as Shadow/Devil

There's nothing I don't see: Shadow scries one player per night to learn their role.

Right-hand man or man behind the man?: Shadow is the only role that will start off knowing the Whisper Killer and vice versa.

Blinded: If Rook is killed by the Whisper Killer, Shadow gains a single Night Kill action.

Hunter (Seeker)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The other half of the mystery duo that's appeared behind the Whisper Killer. Even less is known about Hunter than Shadow, but he's always there. Waiting.

Scries as Hunter/Seeker

Your true colors: Once per night Hunter can use a limited form of scrying. He will only be told whether or not the target is a Wolf. This counts as a Scry for the purposes of the Scry Interference Rule.

Lies and Whispers: As long as Hunter lives, the Whisper Killer will scry as a Victim.

In the Blood: If Victoria Reid is killed by the Whisper Killer, Hunter gains a single full Scry action.

The Broken One (Disguiser)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not even the Whisper Killer knows exactly what or where this man (if it is a man) came from. He speaks in multiple disjointed voices and never seems to look the same way twice.

Scries as Broken One/Disguiser

Who are you today?: Once per night, the Disguiser may choose one player and choose what result anyone scrying that player will receive.

Copycats (Wolves)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every killer seems to spawn them, and the Whisper Killer is no different: copycats, hangers-on, and rabble. The copycat killers are opportunists exploiting the Whisper Killer's spree in order to get their own kicks.

What's strange is that after a while it was almost like they were becoming organized...

Murder!: The Copycats send in a vote to the Narrator for their own Night Kill.

Indiscriminate: The Copycats' Night Kill will kill whomever it targets unless they are protected by a Bane. This means they may kill a fellow Wolf.

Scries as Copycat/Wolf.

Other Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Days are 48 hours, nights 24.

Autolynch happens after missing 2 consecutive voting days.

Helgraf's Scry Interference rule is in effect.

The wolves are blind.

The narrations will not reflect if a person was protected by the baner. If there was no night kill for whatever reason the only information given will be "No one was killed tonight."

In the event of a tie vote, the player that reaches the fatal number first will be the one eliminated.

Do not post Role PMs, real or forged, in thread.

When changing a point in the day phase, please cross out the old point.

Player List:
    {table="head"]|Player|Killed On|Role
    1|Tanar Aerdoth||
    2|Zar Peter||
    3|Zjoot||
    4|Mordokai||
    5|The Phantom||
    6|The Fiery Tower||
    7|C'nor||
    8|LoP||
    9|Fleeing Coward||
    10|Abhorsen||
    11|Lex-Kat||
    12|Sabeki||
    13|HedgehogRanger||
    14|BasketofPuppies||
    15|EmeraldRose||
    16|bladescape||
    17|Shadowcaller||
    18|Penguinator||
    19|Kalrany||
    20|reaverb||
    21|DarkLightDragon||
    22|Yumori123||
    23|Bunny of Faith||
    24|Chessgeek||
    25|usourselves&we||
    26|Diva De||
    27|Murska||
    28|Mustiado||
    29|Count Dingdong||
    30|Haruki-kun||
    31|DukeGod||
    32|smellie_hippie||
    33|Supagoof||
    34|Trog||
    35|Shadow||
    36|Andre Fairchilde||
    37|Atreyu the Masked LLama||
    38|Mauve Shirt||
    39|Skippy||
    40|Mountain Faerie||
    41|Reinholdt||
    42|Cuthalion||
    43|Alarra||
    44|Helgraf||
    45|Philistine||
    46|Zeb The Troll||
    47|Dallas-Dakota||
    48|banjo1985||
    49|52.5 Lemons||
    50|mangosta71||
    51|Grue Bait||
    52|Kneenibble||
    53|Madmal||
    54|Ur-Quan||
    55|Castaras||
    [/table]
    Last edited by Alarra; 2014-03-31 at 01:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fears 4: The Whisper Killer - Recuitment

I'll join this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

And I take joy by beating Mordokai in signing up first second.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure, I'll give it a go.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    And I take joy by beating Mordokai in signing up first second.
    *punts the gnome* And trust me, I'll be doing this a lot from now on!

*sigh* Once more into the breach. Beam me up, Scotty.

Or, sign me up bro. You know I'm a glutton for punishment, couldn't do anything else.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

6. - Top - End - #6

Here I am, ready to play again.

7. - Top - End - #7

Alright, I'm in.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It is... Somewhat intimidating to join this late in the series, but this looks like it'll be an amazing game, so I'm in.

9. - Top - End - #9

I know nothing about the past games, which makes me even more excited for this one! Looks like fun. In.

10. - Top - End - #10

Count me in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds fun! Add me to the list.
    Tyrael
    ~~~
    "I am a necromancer, but not of the common kind.
    Where others of the art raise the Dead, I lay them back to rest
    —And those that will not rest, I bind."

~~~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

In as Alyssa Ophedyll.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

13. - Top - End - #13

In, as Aiden Birosch.
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll join this.
    Thanks to Dirtytabs for the Avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

WE ARE IN!

EDIT: So, are there any rules for giving yourself a name? Because I think that I don't need one.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2014-01-06 at 07:35 PM.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    WE ARE IN!

EDIT: So, are there any rules for giving yourself a name? Because I think that I don't need one.
    Fears 1 had a killer kitty, so no, no rules. It's my job to make it work. Yours is just to have fun.

10 more players and I'll be at the minimum that I'd like. Awesome!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's do this.

Fleeing Coward. Because he always does it.

Ok, what's the premise. *goes back to read*
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2014-01-12 at 06:49 PM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

18. - Top - End - #18

Throw me a line coach, I'm in as the investigator with a blind second eye, Oliver Rennings.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

19. - Top - End - #19

Holy crap. Fears 4?

It has been a looong time since I looked at structured but I'm going to give this a shot if only since I have been in the other three.

20. - Top - End - #20

Just to clarify for myself:

The Copycat/Wolves don't know anything and don't do anything (no NK vote)... they are basically waiting to be contacted by the Shadow or the Hunter.

Neither the Shadow nor the Hunter have a NK vote.

The Whisper Killer is the only one who actually kills, but doesn't know anyone.

The Shadow knows the Whisper Killer.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by LoP View Post
    Just to clarify for myself:

The Copycat/Wolves don't know anything and don't do anything (no NK vote)... they are basically waiting to be contacted by the Shadow or the Hunter.

Neither the Shadow nor the Hunter have a NK vote.

The Whisper Killer is the only one who actually kills, but doesn't know anyone.

The Shadow knows the Whisper Killer.
    Yes to everything except the last. I should clarify that the Whisper Killer knows Shadow at game start too.

#edit: I should further clarify that if the Whisper Killer dies, his night kill ability is passed on to Shadow, then to Hunter, and then to the wolves. The wolves will not be without a nightkill at any time.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2014-01-06 at 10:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'll bring back Vincent the paranormal naysayer from Monster Mash.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please sign me up! I will think on the character I want to play for this. (To be posted later.)

EDIT: Oh my! Just finished reading games 2 and 3... I am amazed! I hope the RP is at least on the level of 3, though there was much more in 1. But the narrations were awesome and the storyline interesting. Will the SEU be back? Or is there a different flavor to this? Will it be more of a murder-mystery style?
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2014-01-08 at 12:55 AM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll join this. I've never done a WW game before and I'm not really a role player, but this sounds fun.

25. - Top - End - #25

Excellent! With 20 players we've got the minimum I feel comfortable playing at. I'll hold recruitment open until this coming Saturday night, then we'll get started on Sunday.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'll give this one a go.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Fears 4: The Whisper Killer - Recruitment

I'll join this.
    Hello there, fine sir~! I am Yumori.

Yu-mo-ree

Spoiler: Hello
    Show
    there.

28. - Top - End - #28

Sign me up, please!

29. - Top - End - #29

Slight change of plans: going to keep recruitment open until Sunday rather than closing Saturday night. Game still starts on Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    EDIT: Oh my! Just finished reading games 2 and 3... I am amazed! I hope the RP is at least on the level of 3, though there was much more in 1. But the narrations were awesome and the storyline interesting. Will the SEU be back? Or is there a different flavor to this? Will it be more of a murder-mystery style?
    Thanks!

The S.E.U. won't be back for this one, but mostly because of the smaller scope of the setting (a single murderer vs. a world-threatening maniac) rather than not wanting to do another crossover.

I'm not sure exactly how the flavor will develop as the game goes along. I'm hoping I can get a murder-mystery going but it's really all going to depend on what happens in-game.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I'll give it a go.