New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XVIII: "That's only sort of good news"

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    This is in fact how it works when a coffee shop has two people working behind the counter and it's not super busy. You've never worked in one, I'm guessing?
    Specifically in a coffee shop, no; in customer service, behind a counter, serving foodstuff to people, I have. Maybe it's just a different ethic, but its really weird to me for a customer to ask one person for service, and for that person not to serve them - otherwise someone is taking orders one after the other (the "easy" part), while the poor sod at the other end is preparing and bagging stuff frantically and unable to keep up.

Even the coffee shops that I go to, on the rare occasion that I use them, the barista serving me will take my order and then prepare it, going round-robin with the other baristas who are doing the same thing to make sure that one order gets finished before piling up another.

Then again, it was also very normal for me to be serving customers and for a colleague to be stood 5 feet away having an unrelated chat with their friend, not at all unlike Hannelore and Marigold. Claire isn't usually passive-aggressive, but a similar tiny hint of "hey, stop screwing around and do your job" wouldn't be out of place where I worked....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #212
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Though for all we know, its in their training. Terrible service is part of Coffee of Doom's branding and always has been.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was at a Starbucks where this happened literally an hour ago. One person handling the drive through orders and working the till, the other person making drinks. It's also a regular occurrence at other coffee shops I frequent - especially if you are with a group. Barista #1 takes the orders, passes on a couple of drinks to Barista #2 while they sort out any food and payment, then once the customer no longer needs direct service they'll go and make any extra drinks. In busy Starbucks locations they will often have someone specifically manning the till with a multi-person staff focusing on making drinks.

Also keep in mind that it's almost certainly not just Claire and Hannelore there - Penelope, Cossette, Emily, and possibly Dora will also be there "just off panel" like the gag we've seen previously.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I thought it was a bit more sanitary for one person to be handling the money, while another person handles the food & drink preparation. That seems to be a common recommendation.

And Aurelia was ranked #516 in female baby names in 2021 by the US Social Security Administration. Claire was #59. Clinton was #915 among male baby names. Neither Marigold nor Hannelore was in the top 1000 of female baby names.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

2021 babies aren't ordering coffee. You'd have to work out the set for 1970-2007 or so to get a worthwhile answer.

Though in this case, it isn't that Marigold thinks "Aurelia" is a strange name, just that she suspects that this is the Aurelia she's just exchanged contact info with.

6. - Top - End - #216

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    2021 babies aren't ordering coffee. You'd have to work out the set for 1970-2007 or so to get a worthwhile answer.
    I was figuring that QC was set some time in the future, what with Station and all of the robots. Is there any indication when?
    And "Aurelia" was less common back then -- it doesn't show up on the top 1000 list at all until 2012.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I was figuring that QC was set some time in the future, what with Station and all of the robots. Is there any indication when?
    And "Aurelia" was less common back then -- it doesn't show up on the top 1000 list at all until 2012.
    In the beginning, the strip was pretty clearly current-time, as the music references were not-just-current, but with brand-new/up-and-coming bands being such in-comic. It quickly became similar to Marvel comics or the Simpsons, in that it had a sliding 'now,' in that the characters didn't age appreciably, but it stayed current in real-time references. Other than Marten having a walking, talking PC, there weren't many sci-fi elements in it. Those have been retroactively added as they've been introduced. Best guess is that the strip is either 'now*, but with...,' or an MST3K-ish 'Next Sunday, A.D.'
    *Exception -- there does not seem to be any references to the Covid-19 pandemic.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

One thing that wasnt brought up but would be an issue for most cashier type businesses. Generally speaking one person operates on cash register and is responsible for taking payments and giving change, because at the end of your shift you have to make sure everything adds up and if three people are all using the same register, it is a lot harder to identify who is screwing up at best, stealing at worst. Probably a less important issue here as its a small shop run by friends, not just random employees.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    One thing that wasnt brought up but would be an issue for most cashier type businesses. Generally speaking one person operates on cash register and is responsible for taking payments and giving change, because at the end of your shift you have to make sure everything adds up and if three people are all using the same register, it is a lot harder to identify who is screwing up at best, stealing at worst. Probably a less important issue here as its a small shop run by friends, not just random employees.
    Not that I've worked this kind of customer service, but ... 1) as a customer, I see this happen all the time - multiple people working the one register, where the receipt comes out saying "you were served by X" implying that some kind of register sign-in was required. Quite often the name on the receipt matches the name-tag of a staff member who didn't serve me. So it looks like many businesses ignore this issue.
    2) from what I read on Not Always Working, it quite often is an issue.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #220

So Aurelia repeatedly stressed how important it is to maintain anonymity, but her real first name is known enough that when she is recognized, her first thought is "must be a random fan" and not "must be the person I just told my name to, who actually lives in the same town".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So Aurelia repeatedly stressed how important it is to maintain anonymity, but her real first name is known enough that when she is recognized, her first thought is "must be a random fan" and not "must be the person I just told my name to, who actually lives in the same town".
    She's a bit slow on the uptake in this situation, thats all.

I think her worries are more of a Claire -style anxiety where she gets caught in her thoughts and then spirals into a self-feeding worries and concerns. She has a better handle on it than Claire though, since she has developped the instinct to just jump in these situations (her 20-something lovers, her dog, her pot, her channel)

12. - Top - End - #222

Griffon

Ironically, sending a code to "BurgerOni's 'phone" will not prove that Marigold is BurgerOni, only that she was the person who Aurelia spoke with earlier.

If Marigold is someone pretending to be BurgerOni from the very beginning, all she's doing is deepening the illusion because she's assuming that the number belongs to BurgerOni, so if Random Internet Stalker answers the 'phone, then it must be her!

Next up, Marigold asks for Amazon vouchers, as was her plan all along when she first started streaming.....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-07-07 at 04:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you look back a couple comics, Aurelia mistakenly thinks that it was her voice that's recognized. She doesn't realize it's her name.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently Aurelia, in addition to her many other talents, is also a crossfit Mom. Not really a surprise exactly, but I'm starting to wonder if this woman ever sleeps.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

15. - Top - End - #225

I like these two. They're best friends now.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Apparently Aurelia, in addition to her many other talents, is also a crossfit Mom. Not really a surprise exactly, but I'm starting to wonder if this woman ever sleeps.
    She wouldn't need to mellow out at 4:20 each day if it weren't for all the uppers she takes the rest of the time.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Ironically, sending a code to "BurgerOni's 'phone" will not prove that Marigold is BurgerOni, only that she was the person who Aurelia spoke with earlier.

If Marigold is someone pretending to be BurgerOni from the very beginning, all she's doing is deepening the illusion because she's assuming that the number belongs to BurgerOni, so if Random Internet Stalker answers the 'phone, then it must be her!

Next up, Marigold asks for Amazon vouchers, as was her plan all along when she first started streaming.....
    I have never in my life seen somebody put an apostrophe at the start of "phone." Thank you for this brief, astonishing glimpse into your world.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is it just the art shift distortion again, or is Aurelia shrinking? She's the same height as Marigold, who's never been portrayed as particularly tall.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Is it just the art shift distortion again, or is Aurelia shrinking? She's the same height as Marigold, who's never been portrayed as particularly tall.
    A few pages ago she was taller than Marigold, so I THINK whats happening here is that she's hunched over a little bit to look Marigold in the eye. Or Marigold found a box.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #230

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I have never in my life seen somebody put an apostrophe at the start of "phone." Thank you for this brief, astonishing glimpse into your world.
    It's a holdover from the days when one had to specify between a telephone and a cellphone. I'm aware that I don't need to do it, and it's not even just 'a British thing' any more, but I'm old and don't like change.

In an unrelated subject, I was previously complaining that no one was selling anyone a coffee in a coffee shop - having seen Aurelia's behavious just by standing in the room, I rescind my request that someone give her caffeine, for all our safety.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In an unrelated subject, I was previously complaining that no one was selling anyone a coffee in a coffee shop - having seen Aurelia's behavious just by standing in the room, I rescind my request that someone give her caffeine, for all our safety.
    I agree. She would be better off getting one of those tees Bubbles orders to mellow out.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

I initially misread that as "cat milk" rather than "oat milk" and was really confused about why and how Marigold would opt for cat milk.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I initially misread that as "cat milk" rather than "oat milk" and was really confused about why and how Marigold would opt for cat milk.
    Well, she's doing pretty nicely for herself, cash-wise. Cats are small, so it'd be pretty inefficient to milk them and do all the stuff that makes milk safe(ish) to drink, which I assume would make it very expensive. Maybe ordering cat milk would be her way of subtly flexing her money? I mean, I can't see Marigold actually doing that, but the mechanics of it are easy enough to sort out.

24. - Top - End - #234

Far as today's strip goes, this "meme rot" is absolutely a thing and it makes normal communication impossible sometimes. Like, I don't care what face some character from some sitcom made 20 years ago, I asked you a question, could you please answer it like a human being? That and just saying "mood" to everything like I'm supposed to parse what that means. Aurelia is excellent for not succumbing.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Well, she's doing pretty nicely for herself, cash-wise. Cats are small, so it'd be pretty inefficient to milk them and do all the stuff that makes milk safe(ish) to drink, which I assume would make it very expensive. Maybe ordering cat milk would be her way of subtly flexing her money? I mean, I can't see Marigold actually doing that, but the mechanics of it are easy enough to sort out.
    I suppose if I saw "cat milk" in a shop I'd assume it's milk for cats, rather than milk from cats. That certainly seems like something that'd be a lot more likely to actually exist without being excessively weird.

Far as today's strip goes, this "meme rot" is absolutely a thing and it makes normal communication impossible sometimes. Like, I don't care what face some character from some sitcom made 20 years ago, I asked you a question, could you please answer it like a human being? That and just saying "mood" to everything like I'm supposed to parse what that means. Aurelia is excellent for not succumbing.
    pog based lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I suppose if I saw "cat milk" in a shop I'd assume it's milk for cats, rather than milk from cats. That certainly seems like something that'd be a lot more likely to actually exist without being excessively weird.
    I have friends with sickly cats that give them cat milk (marketed as such), and it is indeed milk intended for cats, not produced by cats.

27. - Top - End - #237

MindFlayer

Far as today's strip goes, this "meme rot" is absolutely a thing and it makes normal communication impossible sometimes. Like, I don't care what face some character from some sitcom made 20 years ago, I asked you a question, could you please answer it like a human being?
    AOL. *
    Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel. **

---
    * "I agree" -- taken from common Usenet postings of America OnLine customers.
    ** General reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Darmok", where the Tamarians appear to speak exclusively in literary references, such as "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra".
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2022-07-13 at 04:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Man, I feel sorry for anyone who has to milk a cat. Stitches galore!
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

29. - Top - End - #239

Griffon

To be fair, the dangers of minion-meme abuse cannot be overstated. Although I still think that Aurelia knows way too much zoomer/internet lingo for someone whose sole reason for leaving the house today was to go and learn zoomer/internet lingo and then specifically didn't. Jeph forgetting his characters' motivations is one thing, but this way brought up ~5 minutes ago in-universe!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSch
    AOL.
    Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel.
    To this day, I remain the only person I know of who actually owned a physical copy of Zero Wing. That's the 'All Your Bases Are Belong To Us' game, for the record - I was gamer brain BEFORE it was a thing

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Man, I feel sorry for anyone who has to milk a cat. Stitches galore!
    That's why you need milk from GMO goats to fashion yourself a spider silk suit or at least long gloves.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.