New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread V: The Final Countdown

Info on Dandan? You must really be relishing your recently-appointed role as ringleader, Zeta.

I spot a typo, though: immense has an i in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.
    There's never enough bear.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread V: The Final Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    Info on Dandan? You must really be relishing your recently-appointed role as ringleader, Zeta.
    Evidently. And yet, there's still a sense of a dark shadow hovering behind him, glowing blue, keeping a close watch on things...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

An Interactive Fantasizing Experience (#1)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rules
    Step 1
    Activate the music link and let it swish around in your brainspace.
    Step 2
    Click on the image links in order, but take any amount of time to contemplate them.
    Step 3
    Now contemplate yourself playing in the world you imagine, with the prompting of the imagery and music.

Mood Music
    Storyteller
    Painting of Najmah
    A sendoff for a journey
    A mysterious woman, a mysterious beast
    An enchanted shrine
    Half-ghul...
    Siege...
    A bound servant genie
    And another
    To market...
    ...among the wonders of the bazaar
    A pit stop
    ...before moving on
    A sorcerer's survey...
    ...or an assassin's strike
    From the wild free desert...
    ...to the mythical oceans of night...
    ...the paths and cracks between the worlds...
    ...and the wonders built by those who live there...
    The worlds of the Kamala await you.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Another Interactive Fantasizing Experience (#2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rules
    Step 1
    Activate the music link and let it swish around in your brainspace.
    Step 2
    Click on the image links in order, but take any amount of time to contemplate them.
    Step 3
    Now contemplate yourself playing in the world you imagine, with the prompting of the imagery and music.

Mood Music
    The cities alive with magic...
    The nations surviving by surmounting their world...
    Wonders built in ancient days
    Across the plains below an ever-dark sky...
    ...the world of Najmah sits below dancing stars...
    ...its works golden wonders piercing the eternal night.
    Heirs of the dancing blood, the narsabi...
    ...are the descendants of the true blood, the efreeti...
    ...whose domain is the flame and whose power burns like the desert winds.
    An efreeti festival...
    ...draws audiences towards a magical doorway between Siraaj and Najmah.
    The exotic works of the efreeti...
    ...cannot compare to the simple elegance of the dao’s craft...
    ...whose magic is passed along to their descendants, the tarisabi.
    The lush verdance of Najmah’s jungles
    A houri woman
    A deva priestess
    The luxurious wonders of Najmah's great cities...
    ...and mighty ancient palaces...
    ...are under threat, both by those who would steal paradise for their own greed...
    ...and those who would use their power to tyrannize.
    A firestorm crackles across Najmah.
    The secrets of magic...
    ...and the power they conceal...
    ...from exotic beings both wondrous...
    and terrible...
    ...to everyday people, leading extraordinary lives...
    ...and adventurers, bringing sword and sorcery...
    ...across the harsh realm of day...
    ...and the fantastic realm of night...
    The worlds of the Kamala await you.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I think, out of all three, I rather prefer the second one.

Any other opinions?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't actually do the fantasizing experiences so much, but DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN DANDAN. Holy CRAP. That thing frightens me, and I'm the DM.

Though, is it just me, or does the 4e stats seem...I dunno, less RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Maybe it's just the statblock setup, makes it seem like an XP chunk. Resurrection is missing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

At last, Dandan, my aquatic overlord! There's no bigger fish than this.

And now to experience the experiences again...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Though, is it just me, or does the 4e stats seem...I dunno, less RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Maybe it's just the statblock setup, makes it seem like an XP chunk. Resurrection is missing too.
    I noticed that too. On the other hand, the 3.5 version doesn't have the whole deal of if Dandan dies while you're swallowed you potentially are "ripped from time and space". Also, the pulse ray on the 4e version is a ranged attack, yes? So shouldn't it have a range?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't actually do the fantasizing experiences so much, but DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN DANDAN. Holy CRAP. That thing frightens me, and I'm the DM.
    And this is why this is a desert setting. Nobody wants to go anywhere near water for fear of this thing.

Resurrection is missing too.
    I am noticing a distinct lack of "You can use wish or miracle to keep it dead" in the 3.5 stats.
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I noticed that too. On the other hand, the 3.5 version doesn't have the whole deal of if Dandan dies while you're swallowed you potentially are "ripped from time and space". Also, the pulse ray on the 4e version is a ranged attack, yes? So shouldn't it have a range?
    You're already fighting a loot-less monstrosity, we don't need no death throes.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

You're already fighting a loot-less monstrosity, we don't need no death throes.
    Instead you need it to come back from the dead for you to possibly fight again?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Neither wish nor miracle can keep Fishy down. It eats genies; I don't know why anyone would deliberately go looking for it.

But then, I've always been of the opinion that underwater adventures are the most disorienting and terrifying.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Instead you need it to come back from the dead for you to possibly fight again?
    Damn straight.

My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Neither wish nor miracle can keep Fishy down. It eats genies; I don't know why anyone would deliberately go looking for it.
    I'm thinking it's less likely to be used when parties go deliberately looking for it so much as being attacked by it on otherwise-unrelated seafaring trips.

Considering this thing is a horrible, genie-eating, unkillable monstrosity, I'm left wondering what the hell Big Z was thinking when he made this thing/let it into his Kamala.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking it's less likely to be used when parties go deliberately looking for it so much as being attacked by it on otherwise-unrelated seafaring trips.

Considering this thing is a horrible, genie-eating, unkillable monstrosity, I'm left wondering what the hell Big Z was thinking when he made this thing/let it into his Kamala.
    He wasn't a Tarrasque fan?

16. - Top - End - #76

"Man, this would make a great alternative to getting my smite on!"

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Except from what I can tell, Dandan doesn't have a particular affinity for eating people who piss off Big Z: he just eats whoever he gets near.

And of course, he can't even have people think that Dandan goes after people who piss off Big Z, because nobody knows he exists.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the Dandan seemed to have provoked a response. Good. Now to answer a few questions (as well as foment a few more):

I am, actually. I'm too busy with finishing the setting to really appreciate it, but it's nice.

I spot a typo, though: immense has an i in it.
    Fixed. Odd, my spellcheck never caught that. Then again, Word's checker usually gives up on me after about 50 pages of nonsense words like ghul & kobold & sabi.

Evidently. And yet, there's still a sense of a dark shadow hovering behind him, glowing blue, keeping a close watch on things...
    Aye, & an oppressive on at that. To think, I had finally considered myself safe from your predations. I see now that in killing you, I have only made you stronger...

I think, out of all three, I rather prefer the second one.

Any other opinions?
    Well, the second one has the best music, & the third one has the most fitting text (chosen to capture the purest essence of specific features in the setting), but it's a toss-up between the latter two over which one has the "best" images. And I can't forget that the first one was very original, & set the tone for the others to follow. I'll be using this technique in other projects, I'm sure.

Thank you. It's intended to fill the role of the Tarrasque, but without all of the Big T's glaring weaknesses. Putting it in the ocean was a natural consequence of the RL mythology, but that helped immensely to add a dangerous level of maneuverability that the Tarrasque sadly lacked. The Dandan's immunities & ranged attack covers most of the other needed improvements.

And this is why this is a desert setting. Nobody wants to go anywhere near water for fear of this thing.
    That's a potentially valid perspective...

I am noticing a distinct lack of "You can use wish or miracle to keep it dead" in the 3.5 stats.
    Yes, that is intentional. There exists an artifact, called Cycle’s End, that does nothing else but negate the Dandan's Resurrection ability. For 24 hours. And is destroyed in the process. That's it. It's up to the players to do the rest. And it's up to the DM whether they can even obtain Cycle’s End in the first place; I'd make its acquisition an adventure unto itself.

...I've always been of the opinion that underwater adventures are the most disorienting and terrifying.
    Agreed. Taking people out of their native element & putting them into the cold, dark, crushing, unbreathable depths is a potent way of inducing fear, if done with a bit of care & skill. It's an alien environment that a surface-dweller can never get used to. You won't adapt to it, & it won't accommodate you, no matter what. And who knows what lives down there, waiting & hungry...

Yup, that's how I'd use it. You could introduce the Pahari first, & discuss their plight with the Dandan, & lead them to a means of ending the cycle of destruction. But I'd rather put the PCs on a boat, & then spring the Big D on them without warning; assuming that they survive, then I'd relate Pahari’s Bane to them, as it would have much more of an impact. But that's just me.

As you may one day discover, Zihaja has a long track record of unintended consequences & disastrous interference. It's part of the reason that he only works through proxies in the modern era, staying far from his creation.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Aye, & an oppressive on at that. To think, I had finally considered myself safe from your predations. I see now that in killing you, I have only made you stronger...
    Clearly. I have merely dispensed with the inadequate mortal form to reveal my majestically-maned, awesome self. Cower, mapmaker.

Here's a terrifying puzzle for you: if ever we do this again, what new form shall I take? Will you know me before it's too late?
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2010-11-06 at 12:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

As you may one day discover, Zihaja has a long track record of unintended consequences & disastrous interference. It's part of the reason that he only works through proxies in the modern era, staying far from his creation.
    You know, I'm starting to hope for the publish just so I can find out what's tying the Big Z's hands so badly, as he's starting to sound less and less competent by the day.

My extended homebrew sig

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh God Zeta, why did you link to something from Mind's Eye? I haven't watched that since I was in preschool man! Now I'm gonna' be up all night trackin' it down... You wonderful person.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I'm starting to hope for the publish just so I can find out what's tying the Big Z's hands so badly, as he's starting to sound less and less competent by the day.
    You can hardly blame him. He has a delicate balance to maintain, and no matter how surgical your precision when doing damage control, you're still cutting something away which might have been needed in another capacity. Were it not for an externalized concern, Zihaja would have, shall we say, significantly less problems with disposal of irritants.

But, as I said, he's got a balance to safeguard, and that makes things very difficult to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Oh God Zeta, why did you link to something from Mind's Eye? I haven't watched that since I was in preschool man! Now I'm gonna' be up all night trackin' it down... You wonderful person.
    Don't you dare give him the credit. Don't even think of it. I spent years tracking down the three cassettes. Mine. Mine mine mine.

/is led off in a straight jacket ranting about "mine"
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2010-11-06 at 10:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

For 24 hours.
    This kind of reads like all the artifact does is delay its resurrection by a day, which seems to imply that it's a rather wimpy artifact.

I'm hoping that's the incorrect reading, and it actually means that the creature actually stays dead if killed while its resurrection is suppressed.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-11-06 at 12:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Delay? Nope. It unbubbles the fish for a single 24-hour period. If the fish dies in that time it's done for good. If not... well, if not then you're probably fish poo.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I correct in reading "artifact" as "unique object"?

So, if anyone, ever, throughout the course of Kamala's history, decided to end Dandan's existence and didn't manage to do it within that one 24-hour period, now Dandan is literally un-end-able forever?

Mine. Mine mine mine.
    Indeed. When it first came up, we spent a good few pages on nostalgic reminiscing and alienating the non-Canadians in the audience.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-06 at 04:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. When it first came up, we spent a good few pages on nostalgic reminiscing and alienating the non-Canadians in the audience.
    Nothing wrong with alienating.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it was fun.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow... it's almost done.

Part of me is ecstatic and another part wishes that I had found a way to help out more than I did.
    Also, sorry again about that fiasco of of post I made last year...
    Afroakuma/Zeta Kai: You guys are totally awesome!
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Shadow's on the Build Team too!
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-07 at 05:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Shadow's on the Build Team too!
    Yes, & he's awesome, too. Awesomely under-appreciated, considering that I threw him to the wolves of 4E. Poor bastard.

Moving on, what do you want to see next? We've just done a monster, & a city before that, & some religious dogma before that. Hmmm... how about some clerical domain? Tell you what, you guys tell me which domain you want to see, & I'll post it, along with any original spells for that domain. Deal?

Here's the list of new domains. Vote for any single one:
    In case of a tie, I'll be the one breaking it. Enjoy & discuss.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-11-10 at 05:59 PM.