Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Oh Hero

It has been an early christmas present.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Definitely enjoying it.

And when the threads eventually come together, I think meeting Burk is going to give Noah an aneurysm.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

If they come together. And if Noah actually meet Burk. And not just Gaston.
    Else. Another confirmation. Catz is a free magic user.
    And Malhart did train contingencies to deal with Cheryl.
    Except of course the empire screwed stuff up in the middle of their own city.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Aw I still appreciate it a lot! Hearing people discuss, enjoy & of course, occasionally praise my work is a big part of the fun for me in creating more content and pushing my story forward. So it always makes me happy to hear someone openly express enjoyment.
    Then have some more praise! Love your comic.

Here some analysis: The horse riding blood nightmare said "over a thousand have fallen to my kin" since they made their way down. If I assume she means since they travlled down the hospital, and that was maybe 1 hour including the time stop, ever 3.6 seconds some person dies.
    I think you can say 150 words in one minute, so every 1.44 5.2 words someone dies.
    In the USA 22% of the population are children, or around 1 in 5, or every 6.5 23.6 words someone speaks a child dies.
    Of all children about 26% are in the age group 0-4 years, or 1 in 4, so every 26 118 words spoken a small child dies.

The last page had 44 words, so 30 8-9 humans killed, including 2 children, and 1 or 2 a 1 in 3 chance that includes a small children or toddlers.

Edit: made a wrong calculation, corrected it

Also, had that hospital a maternity ward?

I think this is the only comic I can think of where the evil, authoritarian Empire actually has a point, and blowing up a city full of people might be justified. Only WH40K has something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Wow. That was brutal.
    My condolences for Skystroke's future children, they shall never be.

Gotta love Evyle though.
    "Abandon my wicked ways?
    Why do you think I named myself evil?"
    He'll be fine. We know that because we saw him "many weeks" later in one of Tobi's chapters.
    Nice foreshadowing of the cats btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    http://neorice.com/hoh_noah_2861

Final drop starts here! Not an entire chapter but still a decent amount of content!

Hope you guys all enjoyed the numerous drops! Over a 100 pages posted total this week.
    I always have a bad feeling when you drop "too many" pages. I follow webcomics since 2007 and remember the old times where hiatuses were the norm. I can never shake the fear that that means your puffer is gone. It never happened, and never will, but I made some baaaaad experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    If they come together. And if Noah actually meet Burk. And not just Gaston.
    Else. Another confirmation. Catz is a free magic user.
    And Malhart did train contingencies to deal with Cheryl.
    Except of course the empire screwed stuff up in the middle of their own city.
    The meeting will be interesting. Tobi's arc is weeks after Burks, so there needs to be a time jump. And I think we can assume that Burk is set after Noah, since Guy had to travel to a different continent to meet Burk in Eddstadt.

It wasn't the Empire directly, it was Ms Veda. I think she had her own plans she didn't tell her superiors from the Empire about. I wonder what happened to her.
    Last edited by Welf; 2022-12-06 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Wrong calculation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Here some analysis: The horse riding blood nightmare said "over a thousand have fallen to my kin" since they made their way down. If I assume she means since they travlled down the hospital, and that was maybe 1 hour including the time stop, ever 3.6 seconds some person dies.
    I will point out that the main thing that was taken away from that encounter was "dont thrust nightmares"

But yeah. It has been commented a few times already, most recently after the dentist. That perhaps blowing up the city wasnt a over reaction after all to Cheryl getting unleashed.

He'll be fine.
    We do know spirit healing is a thing.
    Skystroke looks like a rather adept spirit user. At least from how casually he Spirit Purged that clone.
    So yeah likely he makes a full recovery.

It wasn't the Empire directly, it was Ms Veda. I think she had her own plans she didn't tell her superiors from the Empire about. I wonder what happened to her.
    Veda did have her own plans. But clearly Mission: "Murder the kind old painter and steal his adoptive kids" were authorized all the way up.
    Since she had Royal Guard support to try and gank Malhart. Veda gets a double dose of blame for knowing the truth about Cheryls power but doing this anyway.

Also. I said it once before and ill repeat it. In another story Catz is the main character.
    Last we saw Catz, they were fighting their way through a military base to liberate their foster siblings and adoptive father.
    Now we find Catz even further down this messed up place, trying to get to Cheryl and put an end to this.

Well i had also wondered what became of them. It seemed likely noone had made them eat black crystal with Veda not around.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    My money is on her having become the Hollowman in some way shape or form. Or abducted by it at least so it could mock and torment her.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    My money is on her having become the Hollowman in some way shape or form. Or abducted by it at least so it could mock and torment her.
    Hallowman, as in holy, not Hollowman, as in hole-y.

And it is not impossible -- he is a new nightmare, or at least one that made himself known recently so the timeline of his appearance being somehow related to Veda's capture does fit.

Meanwhile, it seems we're back to thrice-weekly updates... That's alright, winter is kind of a low point for everybody, that's why we have all these celebrations to compensate for the gloom and the cold. Have good end-of-year holidays, Neo !
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

So.. Meow eye &%¤#ers

9. - Top - End - #549

Heh. MEOW.

Can't say I blame the nightmares for being a little spooked. Any cat big enough to make that noise is not one you want to **** with, especially since cats are one of the most perfectly-designed killing machines in nature.

Also, poor Noah. Really hoping he's not conscious for this, it's not like he needs more trauma, yeesh.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly i dont think Noah can get enough trauma in this story.

But at the same time. Interesting development.
    What is going on with Catz. Is there more than one of them?
    Are they twins?

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sadly i dont think Noah can get enough trauma in this story.

But at the same time. Interesting development.
    What is going on with Catz. Is there more than one of them?
    Are they twins?
    I think Catz just has company and they reacted to the "Is he dead" line.
    Basically, the buff cat got turned into a (video) phone, but without a speaker/screen function Team Noel and whoever is on the other end only get Catz part of the conservation.

Catz is definitely the coolest free(?) magic user so far.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

I have said it before and i will gladly state it again.
    Gaston and Catz are the heroic shonen protagonists we didnt get because this follows Noah instead xD

But yeah i see. Initially i got confused because the different color speach seemed to indicate 2 people.
    Though no it is just Catz with someone else.

13. - Top - End - #553

Catz is a piece of work, alright. Although I have to say, that's... not exactly how I imagined a cat of any sort would take out the nightmares.

And I love that this follows Noah. We've seen the heroic journey through shonen tropes many times before. The snarky bystander dragged into things against his will is (in my opinion) much funnier.

... that being said, something that is bothering me from a few strips back; Ciel is supposedly an extension of Noah's abilities, no? How is she so active while Noah is non compos mentis? How much autonomy does she have?

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

I think Ciel is a chaos spirit that was made (or summoned) by Noah's wish for an instruction manual, at least Noel seems to think she's something independant of Noah and potentially dangerous. Her autonomy is probably the same as any other spirit, it's just that most mages who have similar entities attached to them can't see or hear them,* and Noah is ignorant enough that he doesn't know any better.

Ciel might not either if she was made by Noah's power rather than existing beforehand, or she could be hiding her actual knowledge (and goals) behind a facade.

*Based on a sample size of one admittedly, but Infinite didn't seem aware of his spirit, and it seems like it isn't common knowledge among magic users which you'd think it was if every mage in the subset who have them was aware of it.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

We really dont have enough evidence to form any sort of conclusion on Ciel.

But from what we have seen from Chernyl, it seems clear mages can create/summon independent sentient spirit entities.
    And so it seems plausible Ciel is just like the nightmares.

Except with another purpose. It being to act as a guide for Noah/keep him alive. (not an easy task)
    Certain it seems clear she has whats best for him in mind. Even when Noah dont always have the same due to apathy.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

I will point out that the main thing that was taken away from that encounter was "dont thrust nightmares"
    I wanted to say "why would they lie?", but since that nightmare just tried to make Noel and Gaston fight, they do have a reason. And it's suspicious that they would give Gaston and Noel reason to just kill Chernyl.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah thats the problem.
    The nightmares are sociopathic monsters of the worst kind.
    If they can gain an advantage by lying it seems clear they will.
    And hyping up the danger Cheryl poses could have spiked a fight had Gaston not been smart about it.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Catz might tip the balance on the question of whether they kill Chernyl. I wonder how they will feel about it.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

I cant see what the pacifist who made bubble cats will pick, is a question
    What the real question is i think, is if Cherryl want to continue living after this.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Catz certainly is powerful, but he is not good at following simple instructions.
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm just guessing, but Catz might not be a Int-based caster.
    Could be Wisdom, but my money is on Charisma.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Ehh.. its actually harder than it seems, flawlessly repeating a message you hear without any warning.
    So far Catz has given the impression of being a fairly effective individual.
    I certainly think his escapes from the military base were pretty quick witted.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

He's also trying to pay attention to two seperate groups of people at once, anyone who's been on a phone call while someone else in the room won't stalk talking knows that to be hard.

Funnily enough had that experience just yesterday, my gran kept talking over my brother while I was on the phone because she's deaf and couldn't figure out I was on the phone. Made it nearly impossible to keep track of what my brother was saying even when I could hear him.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Ehh.. its actually harder than it seems, flawlessly repeating a message you hear without any warning.
    So far Catz has given the impression of being a fairly effective individual.
    I certainly think his escapes from the military base were pretty quick witted.
    Noel did warn Catz and told him to repeat the message word by word. I think Catz is very creative and a quick thinker, but not a focused person.

I just noticed Noah keeps bleeding from his mouth. I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't seem healthy.
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Its hardly warning when its in the same sentence. And Catz are already talking to both a "phone" and a person besides him.

But he still saves the day!
    Newer has it been so convenient to transport Noah around!

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe Noah's next wish should be that Ciel can carry him around.
    More convenient for everyone else.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Maybe Noah's next wish should be that Ciel can carry him around.
    More convenient for everyone else.
    But then he wouldn't get to share such a buff green bod! If Burk were here, he'd totally say to keep with the current Mewdroid plan instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest. Noahs main contribution is providing information, and being a spirit source for Noel.
    His main liability is the need to protect his physical body.

This is possibly the ultimate version of Noah.
    A secondary head on a massive buff cat body, to provide snark or warnings.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To be honest. Noahs main contribution is providing information, and being a spirit source for Noel.
    His main liability is the need to protect his physical body.

This is possibly the ultimate version of Noah.
    A secondary head on a massive buff cat body, to provide snark or warnings.
    Well, no. Not as long as he has that torture device in his mouth.
    Oh wait. You were talking about Ciel.
    In that case, yes. Yes, this might be Noah's ultimate form.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

This even cuts down on the snark!

Or well. It would not be a thing anyway now i think about it.
    Since he is seemingly unconscious from spirit use.
    Looking back at the comic, he did save the team with an unexpected float bubble.
    But seemingly knocked himself out with it.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2022-12-29 at 07:00 AM.