New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Project: Super Smash (A Vote Up Adventure)

PROJECT: SUPER SMASH
    A VOTE UP ADVENTURE

So, after briefly mentioning my reasons for not posting much around here in the "Are these forums the homebrewiest" thread, I felt the urge to post more around here. It was a conundrum. An itch I couldn't scratch. I couldn't think of anything to homebrew. I had the desire, but not the inspiration. Finally, gazing upon the wondrous avatar of the equally wonderful Lix Lorn, I found that inspiration. What I at first took to be a woman farting a heart, I was informed quite quickly that it was in fact representing Princess Peach, and her famous hip smash attack from the acclaimed Smash Bros series! This was the inspiration I needed! A chance to homebrew material based on these amazingly entertaining games! This is the reason we're here, folks.

What I want out of those viewing this thread are votes. Votes which will decide what direction I should take this project. My first thoughts were base classes FOR EVERYONE! I then moved on to creating the Save the Princess discipline, although some misgivings were voiced over simply representing the game and characters through Tome of Battle derived Disciplines. I wouldn't want to homebrew a product that offers anything less than 100% customer satisfaction now would I? That's where you come in, fellow forumers! You will decide exactly what I should homebrew and how.

Voting works like this: I will present a number of options each round. Before starting each round I will ask you guys for options that I have forgotten to include that might be relevant to the current round. Once the list of options is finalized I will begin the round and set a deadline. At the end of each round the winning option will be something I definitely include in the project and will receive the most of my attention during the design process. The runners-up will receive consideration given their placement (2nd place has a high chance of being included in some capacity, 3rd place a fair chance, and so on).

This thread will be updated with the results of polls and with new polls as they are devised. Anyone is welcome to vote at any stage of the project, even if they haven't voted on it before. Are we ready to begin? I think so!

Round 1

NOTE: Options will be scored based on first, second, or third choice. When voting you may include first, second, and third choices. If you only post one option I will consider that your first choice. First is worth 3pts, second 2pts, and third 1pt. The option with the most pts at the end of the round wins.

Which of the following would you most want to see designed in this project?

1. New 20-Level Base Classes
    2. Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
    3. New Prestige Classes
    4. New Tome of Battle Disciplines
    5. New Monsters (and/or Races)
    6. New Items (including Legacy Items)
    7. New Spells
    8. New Feats
    9. New Skills
    10. Entirely new battle mechanics ("casting" systems, alternate rules, etc)
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2010-09-28 at 12:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Project: Super Smash (A Vote Up Adventure)

Slight Alternate suggestion here before you get in too deep. Look at Mutants and Mastermind 2nd Edition. The way damage is handled as a save is PERFECT for simulating increasing damage percentages without actually killing the opponent.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Are races in the same section as monsters? Because you might want races.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Good point, Ness. I'll include them with the Monsters option.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

New battle mechanics followed by classes and monsters.
    Super Kami Guru allows this signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

1-Classes
    2-Items
    3-Feats

Also if the class option is chosen I pledge myself to help doing it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Don't you mean "A Vote Up Campaign Setting"? Because that is what this seems like. Also actually not as much "voting" as it seems like you want this to be a community project.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-09-22 at 06:54 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Don't you mean "A Vote Up Campaign Setting"?
    Why do you think this would be a campaign seting? The whole idea of SSB is to get characters from diferent setings togheter, so any material produced here should be capable of be inserted in your average campaign whitout much trouble, instead of spending effort trying to explain why Link and Samus are having tea togheter at Peach's castle.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-22 at 06:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Why do you think this would be a campaign seting? The whole idea of SSB is to get characters from diferent setings togheter, so any material produced here should be capable of be inserted in your average campaign whitout much trouble, instead of spending effort trying to explain why Link and Samus are having tea togheter at Peach's castle.
    It's not because of the way SSB is that I think that, but because of the first post. Eberron is a campaign setting. Red Hand of Doom is an adventure. Yet while Eberron presents a new base class, PrCs, monsters and races, RHoD I'm fairly certain does not. Because the OP wants to make all that, it seems to me as if he wants to create a campaign setting moreso than an adventure, or rather that he first wants to make a basic campaign setting for the adventure to take place in.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Because the OP wants to make all that, it seems to me as if he wants to create a campaign setting moreso than an adventure, or rather that he first wants to make a basic campaign setting for the adventure to take place in.
    A campaign seting is more than that. You need a seting to start with, then stories, plot hooks, NPCs, spells, feats, skills, ect, ect. The OP would do only 2-3 of those to start with because of his limited time.

After all, a lot of homebrews on this forums include classes, feats, equipment and races at the same time yet don't call themselves campaign setings.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

@M-Bark: I only used the word Adventure because I've never done a Vote-Up thread before, making this an adventure for me. Also, I don't necessarily want to make all of the options. I included them for completeness and out of consideration for the other people on the forum. If something I wasn't necessarily looking to design gets a lot of votes, well, then I'll probably design it.

@Everyone else: So, I suppose nobody else thinks I've missed anything with the options?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

1.New 20-Level Base Classes
    2.Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
    3.New Prestige Classes
    4.New Tome of Battle Disciplines
    5.New Monsters (and/or Races)
    6.New Items (including Legacy Items)
    7.New Spells
    8.New Feats
    9.New Skills
    10.Entirely new battle mechanics ("casting" systems, alternate rules, etc)
    Out of this list you gave, I think Alternate Class Features are most interesting. You just have to figure out which characters need those to be appropriately statted (Link seems to me like a Fighter/Mystic Ranger - OoT - or Fighter/Wildshape Ranger - TP - or variations of that depending on which game we're talking about). Samus deserves her own class, but if you want to save work you could ask Prime32 for a link to his class based off her.

Out of the list, my votes go:

1. Alternate Class Features (for existing Published Classes)
    2. New Prestige Classes
    3. New items (DEFINITELY DO WANT, although I won't put it as the top priority)
    4. Feats (because just about every project needs a feat or two at least)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to see all of the above, but some characters are pretty well covered already. I would think that certain characters (Bowser, for example) would be Monsters, while some only have individualized disciplines and classes.

Samus deserves a class. Link does not. Link can be (somewhat) emulated by use of certain classes and concepts. Samus cannot be emulated without a lot of meandering magic stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What I'd do, is I'd right out all the base mechanics, attacking, right out a few adventures and bad guys, etc.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Save the Princess is a discipline currently being developed.

I have seen Samus's armor done as a artifact (with upgrades).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, the initial deadline for voting Round 1 will be Midnight, Monday September 27th. If there's steady interest going after then I'll move on to the next Round of votes.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. Is there no more interest in the project?
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

One idea - crib 10-level base classes off of D20 Modern. I mean, seriously, trying to pack most Brawlers into 20 levels is gonna be a lotta dead levels/extra crap. 10 level base classes followed by some PrCs that represent various play styles (like Item Master or something) would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

duplicating the joysticks and everything might be a good idea.

make it like a customizable, adaptable character. have main attacks, special attacks, and make these tradeable as you level until everything's better, like for link his bombs would be stronger, for kirby he could duplicate a move of his choice, for roy his fiery up+b move would be harder to intercept.

each character starts as the basic character, make it so you emulate the actual player getting better.
    thanks to Vrythas for the Venser avatar!

Die Again, a Zombie Survival RPG

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Could I get stats for Master Hand and Crazy Hand, for an ECL 65 party?

1-PRC's
    2-Items
    3-Monsters/Races (I want to play with bowser!)
    Last edited by Chess435; 2010-09-28 at 03:50 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Chess435; 2010-09-28 at 03:52 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Shame this seems to been closed
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

The final votes were as follows:

Items - 11pts
    New Races - 8pts
    Alternate Class Features - 6pts
    New Battle Mechanics - 6pts
    Prestige Classes - 5pts
    New Base Classes - 5pts
    New Feats - 4pts
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2010-10-20 at 05:07 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel I should preface my post by saying I've haven't played a whole lot of SSB (I know, I know, shame on me), but nevertheless this is a brilliant idea.
    Votes as follows:

ACFs - 3 points: Easiest to work on, possibly the most bang for your homebrew buck, and as has been mentioned a lot of the characters are pretty close to the existing classes out there. A great starting point for the project I think.

Items - 2 points: Because I love the hammers. That is all.

Feats - 1 point: It came down to this and skills, and I think feats building off existing skills can cover a lot more ground without overlapping anything that already exists. Also a good starting point for prestige classes and the like.

So! Don't get discouraged, I'm sure a lot of people would love to see this project get started, and once you get the ball rolling there'll be a lot more interest.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thumbs up Re: Project: Super Smash (A Vote Up Adventure)

3 points: Monsters. Because I think it will be the easiest, and just this one step can make your players feel like they have just entered the game playing there own charicter. (Kirby versus, Lidda at final destination!)

2 points: Items. This was a hard second, I almost put it first. In fact I did put it first, but then started writing about monsters instead... which told me I must have had a different opinion then I thought I had. But any way, I would like to see items for most of the same reasons I would like to see monsters I just think monsters progress you FAR more quickly along your goal than items do. However, items are even easier to make; plus wouldn't it be cool to find a pair of, Bunny ears of uncontrolled hast and hoping.

1 point: feats and/or spells. I find I can not decide weather I would reather see spells based on the game(Leomund's, Final destination, would be so cool) but on the other hand feats would probably be more balanced useful for every day play, more accessible and in the end probably more consistently cool.... hmmm actually it sounds like feats just won out I guess, put my last 1 point behind feats.
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2010-10-14 at 06:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can I just put all my votes into battle mechanics? :P
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I would just like to contribute this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, okay, so you guys convinced me! I'll keep monitoring this for the next few days. If we continue to get votes in I'll leave it open until next Friday (Oct 22nd), if not I'll start working on this as early as Wednesday!
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

3 Points monsters
    2 points Items
    1 Point Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I gotta say, I'm a little bit surprised by the direction the votes have taken us, but looks like I'll be working on Smash Bros Items first and foremost! I guess I ought'ta get to it!
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2010-10-20 at 06:13 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show