New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: OOTS #667 - The Discussion Thread

One factor RE: Tiamat. The fiends gave V the soul splice knowing that it was going to be used against at least one black dragon. Assuming they knew the spell lists of the souls, familicide was a distinct possible outcome as well.

It could be that Tiamat is more angry at them than V, but that's usually not how grudges between higher powers like this works, so I'm still guessing V is still going to be the actual target of any godly venting.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theboredone View Post
    Your math is off.
    the 3 min 6 seconds is how long the necromancer remained tied to V for the splice. The 20 min 35 sec is how long the other 2 stayed spliced to V.

44min and 16 seconds is how long total V has to be in service to the demons.
    3 min 6 seconds for the one who spliced the necromancer.
    20min and 6 seconds for the 2 who spliced the other 2.

20 min and 35 seconds is the maximum time that V spent with any of the splices. Please correct me if my math is off to.
    ...?

Unless I misunderstand, you basically said the same thing as the quoted text.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theboredone View Post
    Your math is off.
    the 3 min 6 seconds is how long the necromancer remained tied to V for the splice. The 20 min 35 sec is how long the other 2 stayed spliced to V.

44min and 16 seconds is how long total V has to be in service to the demons.
    3 min 6 seconds for the one who spliced the necromancer.
    20min and 6 seconds for the 2 who spliced the other 2.

20 min and 35 seconds is the maximum time that V spent with any of the splices. Please correct me if my math is off to.
    The point is, a round is 6 seconds in DnD. AKA 1 minute is 10 rounds exactly.
    3 minutes and 6 seconds is therefore exactly 31 rounds.
    but 20 minutes and 35 secs doesn't work. (36 sec would be a full round)

So either its a typo from the Giant, or an indication that the splices where knocked out of V before the round was over. He was about to cast Teleport and got hit by a Smash of Opportunity. Or... the Giant simply didn't pay attention to it, and just picked some numbers.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

AWESOME! A great strip.

Spoiler
    Show
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Very nice little strip with a good ominous ending.

Hopefully V will soon contact Kyrie to let him/her know that he/she is ok and/or apologise.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
    I wonder why V is refreshed all of the sudden. by the time she got the soul splice she hadn't "slept" for weeks or months even, big red eyes, dark under-eye circles, confused and all ... nothing of that is left.
    The fiends specifically stated that the splice would rejuvenate V (including allowing him to replenish his spell slots without having to trance)...I guess the rejuvenating effect remained even though the splices are all gone.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, V. After a moment like that, I just want to...

...kick the thrice-damned moron in the head.

It hasn't once crossed the elf's mind that actions committed within the last hour (let me emphasize "within" before anyone comments on 20 minutes and 35 seconds) might possibly have drastic consequences for the rest of the team, hmm? Even if there's only a remote chance of this going south for everyone, this is not the sort of thing one should keep private.

Earning a kick in the rear now would have been better than what's going to happen when someone comes looking to kick in teeth, even if there's no way to avoid the latter.
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Durkon is always fantastically written.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    Aw, V. After a moment like that, I just want to...

...kick the thrice-damned moron in the head.

It hasn't once crossed the elf's mind that actions committed within the last hour (let me emphasize "within" before anyone comments on 20 minutes and 35 seconds) might possibly have drastic consequences for the rest of the team, hmm? Even if there's only a remote chance of this going south for everyone, this is not the sort of thing one should keep private.

Earning a kick in the rear now would have been better than what's going to happen when someone comes looking to kick in teeth, even if there's no way to avoid the latter.
    It's possible that V fell for the fiends' bluff, and actually believes that the dominion on his soul by them will be posthumously- so he thinks it's just a personal problem.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Why did Tiamat take up 5 lines instead of 5 phones on the same line?
    Oh, yeah, for the punchline.
    Also, the breath weapons were a nice touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Tiamat is clearly angry, it is interesting that the director's secretary didn't first ask the directors whether they'd take the call. Secretaries routinely lie to unimportant people about someone not being available. This suggests Tiamat has the political or social power to make the fiend's lives uncomfortable if she wanted to.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

HILARIOUS!

When I first saw this comic I thought that Timat was angry because she wanted some time with the Elf, but then I Remembered all those black dragons....

Oracles not gonna be happy next time he sees the OOTS.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    As Tiamat is clearly angry, it is interesting that the director's secretary didn't first ask the directors whether they'd take the call. Secretaries routinely lie to unimportant people about someone not being available. This suggests Tiamat has the political or social power to make the fiend's lives uncomfortable if she wanted to.
    Well, Tiamat is a fairly prominent goddess; she certainly doesn't fall under the category of "unimportant people."

14. - Top - End - #224

ouch, v should really tell them allready. ^^
    and nice art upgrade for him. is that yellow thing his headband of intellect? was it ever a headband of intellect or just a regular headband?

also we know how much time he owns to the fiends. i would say, 27 minutes are not that bad, but i think we all know better than that.
    Last edited by Eric O'Really; 2009-07-03 at 09:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The word 'boned' does not BEGIN to describe V's current situation. Depending on just how vengeful Miss T is, or if the IFCC can placate her...
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sotris View Post
    It's possible that V fell for the fiends' bluff, and actually believes that the dominion on his soul by them will be posthumously- so he thinks it's just a personal problem.
    Sure, that's quite likely. The problem is that V has also managed to stir up two other hornet's nests with Xykon and Tiamat.

I can even understand how V is oblivious to all three of these events. It's well within character. Nevertheless, it's annoying.

Granted, some of the bitterness I'm feeling is because...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...this strip might touch on the means by which Durkon will fulfill two prophecies. We already know the kind of death and destruction V, with the right backers, is capable of delivering.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Something just occurred to me: Tiamat might not be calling the IFCC to complain about the familicide.

She might be working with them!

Remember, Tiamat grants the Oracle's ability to see the future, in an apparently perfect way. Now, why would she give such an ability to an underling unless she had (or could give to herself) the same thing?

This means, TIAMAT KNOWS EVERYTHING THAT WILL HAPPEN! (That had to include the dragon genocide.)

While I'm sure she's pissed over losing so many dragons, being evil, she probably cares more about getting control over the Snarl.

I do *not* like this idea. I hate unchangeable futures or all-knowing characters. Plus, no version of Tiamat I've ever seen had such perfect foresight. I'd prefer to think that the Oracle gift *somehow* only works for him though Tiamat grants it.

...Though that still would allow her to question him as needed, no?

Let's see if Rick addresses this...
    Opinions are like butts- everybody has got one, but nobody thinks theirs stinks.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also a bit confused about how some readers don't understand that the point of "Ms" is that a woman's marital status is generally none of your business. Those who use the term use neither Mrs nor Miss to describe themselves.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not about to surge into a winded debate about this, but I'm of the belief that Tiamat only has CERTAIN aspects of control over seeing the future. The Oracle's messages to the heroes are generally pretty cryptic (which we all know led Belkar to kill that mangy little Kobold), but I wouldn't be led to believe that Tiamat's not dispensing everything she has to the Oracle; after all the Oracle itself (herself?) is a gift to the draconic races, and therefore, little more than a servant, one could presume.

I could further this by believing that Tiamat's powers have certain extension over the draconic races; hence the Lizardmen popping up at the opportune time to resurrect the Oracle, followed by receiving info on when next to return.

Knowing everything = a form of omnipotence. I don't think any of the gods have that kind of power.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #667 - The Discussion Thread

*applause*

Analysis will wait until I have time to read through the thread.
    Last edited by Rhuna_Coppermane; 2009-07-03 at 10:00 AM.
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes

Member, Redcloak Fanclub

21. - Top - End - #231

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kairamek View Post
    Takhisis... I mean Tiamat on five lines. BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHA*snort*HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAAHAHA

As a fan of Dragonlance I am naturally a fan of Takhisis and that extends to the OGL remake of her in Tiamat (nicely adapted to OotS). That's awesome stuff right there.

OGL remake?

Huh? Tiamat (the D&D dragon goddess, not the Babylonian one) dates back to the AD&D Monster Manual. The Dragonlance reworking of her as Takhisis came well after.
    "All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    The point is, a round is 6 seconds in DnD. AKA 1 minute is 10 rounds exactly.
    3 minutes and 6 seconds is therefore exactly 31 rounds.
    but 20 minutes and 35 secs doesn't work. (36 sec would be a full round)

So either its a typo from the Giant, or an indication that the splices where knocked out of V before the round was over. He was about to cast Teleport and got hit by a Smash of Opportunity. Or... the Giant simply didn't pay attention to it, and just picked some numbers.
    actually, 20 minutes 35 seconds is exactly 9 rounds after 19 minutes 41 seconds(the time the splices quoted before V teleported to Xykon), so the important time was measured in rounds, but somewhere between killing the dragon and teleporting to Xykon, V's initiative changed, simple as that

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dear me, Tiamat is mighty unhappy. Apparently she was immune to the familicide (which is probably the only reason any dragons are still alive at all anywhere in the world(s)) but I'd say she is still quite displeased at what just happened to a whole bunch of her children. V really didn't think of that, did he? From what I've read about Tiamat, she probably isn't going to care much about the fiends' long-term plans for evil. She could easily choose to just obliterate V, his family, and probably the entire hemisphere they're in just for good measure.

Really, irritating a chaotic evil goddess is just begging for it.
    I am... no one.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Dear me, Tiamat is mighty unhappy. Apparently she was immune to the familicide (which is probably the only reason any dragons are still alive at all anywhere in the world(s)) but I'd say she is still quite displeased at what just happened to a whole bunch of her children.
    Familicide had a limited range of targets, killing an estimated fourth of the Black Dragon population. Nowhere were V near targeting all dragons, or Tiamat herself (not being a black dragon, but rather, you know, a goddess...)
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, reading the first page, I wonder why you'd think the yellow field would be the one with 3 minutes time only.
    I read from the gestures that the violet fiend is the one with the least time. And looking through the archives, he was the one who provided Haerta, so that would make sense.
    "yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Thog want more a-pee-ranse!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by motub View Post
    Well, it seems like the "cooldown" comics are "one-on-ones", we've got just Elan and Belkar left, though I can't imagine what they might have to say to each other. In fact, I don't know who Belkar has to say anything to (since Haley-- who does have something to say to him, but has already had her "turn" with Roy-- can't say anything to hm, since that would reveal that she knows his character development is fake). :.
    Back in the early days of the comic, Elan and Belkar seemed to have a Beavis and Butthead relationship (the strip where they drew on Roy comes to mind). Or Elan could thank Belkar for not abandoning Haley.
    Thank you Ceika for the avatar

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I do not like the ponytail on V.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

Just curious - How would a typical Good-aligned cleric react to the news that one of his teammates made a deal with a triumvirate of infernal beings in order to add the power of three very evil spellcasters to his/her own, and the fact that he/she owes each of those beings favors?

M84

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Great comic. I missed too.

Not to spoil anyone's theories, but isn't it possible that the Tiamat line is just a last panel joke and not the start of some uber problem for V? Aren't the fiends enough for her to deal with and isn't Xykon (and the Linear Guild, for that matter) and the Snarl enough for the Order to deal with? They hardly need a new big bad.
    "Mr Scruffy, get the caster!"

"Me miss me."

"Tchklgrkickt Q. Mrchnkonson, is that you?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vargtass View Post
    Familicide had a limited range of targets, killing an estimated fourth of the Black Dragon population. Nowhere were V near targeting all dragons, or Tiamat herself (not being a black dragon, but rather, you know, a goddess...)
    Actually the spell tatgeted the FAMILY of the Black Dragon. After all we see half dragons getting killed as well. It was teh relationships to mama dragon that decided if you where effected. That's also why V had to undead the mama dragon as she needed a "taget" for the spell to work.