New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

eek The Simpsons Predicted Just About Everything

Does anybody ever notice that The Simpsons predicted just about everything? For example, they predicted Toys R Us going out of business, even they predicted the Coronavirus and even among other predictions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Simpsons Predicted Just About Everything

This is a prevalent theory, and is actually a prime example of Confirmation Bias.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Simpsons has been going so long that the probability of them identifying any particular trend is begining to become likely, especially as more topical humour will tend to look at current trends and extrapolate from there.

Some 'surprises' to the general public really aren't to people in the know, because they have access to the data we don't, and it's not impossible that a large media corporation might tap contacts within industries for ideas for plots.

Also, The Simpsons really doesn't have a much better track record than, for example, Doctor Who, which made come accurate predictions (the UK switching to decimal currency), some inaccurate ones (most of them escape me, but I'm sure somebody who's recently seen a 'near future' episode could point some out) and some massive mistakes (like most science fiction media it did not see the massive leap in computing technology in the 90s).

I think the best explanation is that in the same article where he declared that it was impossible to predict the future Douglas Adams correctly predicted sattelite navigation systems. The Simpsions is just lucky, and has over twenty years of content with which to 'predict' a lot of things.

Like, if I was to write a science fiction story set in 2050 I'd likely predict that genetic engineering of plants and animals has taken off, anti-aging drugs can increase healthspans by five to ten years, and prosthetic limbs are near perfect replacements of the real thing. These are all perfectly valid advancements to draw from the trends I'm currently seeing, but any one of them could easily be horribly, horribly wrong (however, if we develop AGI in the next 100 years I will eat every work I ever write, because I believe that it's a practical impossibility).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Coronavirus Simpsons meme is using photoshop images

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN21112V
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Simpsons has been going so long that the probability of them identifying any particular trend is begining to become likely, especially as more topical humour will tend to look at current trends and extrapolate from there.

Some 'surprises' to the general public really aren't to people in the know, because they have access to the data we don't, and it's not impossible that a large media corporation might tap contacts within industries for ideas for plots.

Also, The Simpsons really doesn't have a much better track record than, for example, Doctor Who, which made come accurate predictions (the UK switching to decimal currency), some inaccurate ones (most of them escape me, but I'm sure somebody who's recently seen a 'near future' episode could point some out) and some massive mistakes (like most science fiction media it did not see the massive leap in computing technology in the 90s).
    The "Simpsons predicted X!" trend also gives incredible leeway to the word "predict"; a Simpsons episode where an event happens and later on a similar event happens in the real world counts as a prediction in these claims, instead of episodes taking place in the future. So literally everything that happens in the show can be called a prediction if a similar event happens in real life, while when thing's don't happen, they're not counted as failed predictions; only events from episodes taking place in the future can be eligible for that.

It's a massive amount of selection bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    The Coronavirus Simpsons meme is using photoshop images

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN21112V
    I looked up the images in question. The writing on the box looks Japanese, not Chinese (and that fits in with the fake disease name "Osaka flu"), so even the real images aren't terribly accurate for this "prediction".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The "Simpsons predicted X!" trend also gives incredible leeway to the word "predict"; a Simpsons episode where an event happens and later on a similar event happens in the real world counts as a prediction in these claims, instead of episodes taking place in the future. So literally everything that happens in the show can be called a prediction if a similar event happens in real life, while when thing's don't happen, they're not counted as failed predictions; only events from episodes taking place in the future can be eligible for that.

It's a massive amount of selection bias.
    Oh, I'm not saying it's not massive selection bias, but it's been running for so long that if you took everything fairly, having a fairly high prediction rate (say 0.2, one correct prediction for four wrong ones) wouldn't be unexpected. Although let's be honest, it's really just average, with twenty years giving a lot of time for predictions to come true.

You're looking at it from a 'how do people use the phrase angle', I'm looking at it from a 'what does the phrase mean' angle, and I'd give a 'present day' episode about a year to predict something and still count as a prediction (got to give those trends a bit of leeway). I bet I could go back to the bird/swine flu epidemics and find at least one show that 'predicted' a global pandemic would happen, but those in my system would be wrong predictions because they'd be about the very near future (and/or commenting on public opinion).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

(however, if we develop AGI in the next 100 years I will eat every work I ever write, because I believe that it's a practical impossibility).
    What's AGI?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    What's AGI?
    Artificial General Intelligence, think 'Strong AI'. Essentially science fiction AI, instead of the algorythyms we have today.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think there is a decent chance for AGI myself, but I feel similarly strongly about interstellar travel. Nothing suggests we are ever going to leave this rock, the universe is just too strict.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think there is a decent chance for AGI myself, but I feel similarly strongly about interstellar travel. Nothing suggests we are ever going to leave this rock, the universe is just too strict.
    Leaving the rock isn't the problem. Getting to other rocks isn't even that big of an issue. Getting to a rock near another fireball, now that's the problem!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Given a few millennia (say 20-100) I'd say relativistic or generation ships aren't out of the question, although I'd argue they're unlikely to see use until this star system is as good as dead. I do agree with you for FTL, every theory for it I've seen has ended with a 'but we don't know how we could do that'. We'd of course need the supplies to terraform whatever rock we'd settle on, which means a pretty darn large payload section even before we add in enough humabs for a self sustaining population and enough supplies for the trip and terraforming, probably need to disassemble a couple of gas giant moons for the ship and a couple more for fuel and remass...

I think interstellar travel is possible. I don't think it would ever be easy or practical, and that you'd need a lot of raw materials to do it.

My disbelief in AGI stems from having studied the basics of AI, and while I'd not argue that it's outright impossible I'm convinced we're not going to get there. Partially because I'm not convinced it can be done in a digital medium, and there's little point to developing analog electronics.

I do, however, predict very powerful weak AI, because we already have it. It's going to get better, it's going to learn how to do more tasks, and it's going to be very important.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

many "predictions" come true because the interpretation of the words "prophets" under a specific situation changes.
    Cheers!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

As South Park explained in the relevant episode: there has been so much Simpsons that they have had storylines about pretty much everything. The examples they used were all criminal plots and pranks, from the mundane to the mightily far-fetched, but the same point stands for predictions. {scrubbed}? Yeah, that's an impressive stroke of predictional luck, until you realize that the Simpsons fires off things that can be interpreted as a prediction from an automatic shotgun, then it becomes much more reasonable that some of them manage to hit the actual future.

Simpsons did it!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-03 at 12:47 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

When it comes to a lot of events, the Simpsons's (Simpsons' ? I'm not sure if you should count the title as singular or plural) prediction is based on "Company or person has been talking about this off and on for a long, long time before actually doing it, and the show made jokes about it when the talk first began." rather than any amount of luck.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Leaving the rock isn't the problem. Getting to other rocks isn't even that big of an issue. Getting to a rock near another fireball, now that's the problem!
    Yep. We have the technology to reach Mars easily. Reaching Mars and coming BACK is a bit tougher. We also have the current technology to build a generational ship that would reach another star system... eventually.

Finding an actual habitable world to GO to, though, is much tougher.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A woman did become Prime Minisiter of the United Kingdom in the eighties (or was it the seventies?) but there was a noticeable dearth of black Welsh astronauts in 1980.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lascivooctavio View Post
    many "predictions" come true because the interpretation of the words "prophets" under a specific situation changes.
    "Always predict the worst and you'll be hailed as a prophet." - (the legend that is) Tom Lehrer
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Rapid-fire predictions and see what sticks" is a technique used by phony psychics, palm-readers and similar, I believe. Here it's not purposeful or malicious, just a matter of sheer volume. But it does show how this works - people remember the "correct" predictions and discard those that never came to pass.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-04-01 at 08:29 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "Rapid-fire predictions and see what sticks" is a technique used by phony psychics, palm-readers and similar, I believe. Here it's not purposeful or malicious, just a matter of sheer volume. But it does show how this works - people remember the "correct" predictions and discard those that never came to pass.
    Yeah that is my thought after all.
    Same with Nostradamus, whose “predictions” are basically vague quotes being plugged in with contexts of any events any one can thought of.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

If The Simpsons’ producers had the power to predict the future, they would never have done an episode that depicted Mel Gibson as a beloved icon and Robert Downey Jr. as a crazed criminal shooting it out with the cops.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-04-01 at 10:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    If The Simpsons’ producers had the power to predict the future, they would never have done an episode that depicted Mel Gibson as a beloved icon and Robert Downey Jr. as a crazed criminal shooting it out with the cops.
    Or Michael Jackson voice a guy who hung out with Bart. And I swear I remember a Bill Cosby appearance (probably one of their voice actors rather than Bill himself).

Also they've perpetuated urban legends, misunderstood science, most notoriously some really regrettable stereotypes. Frankly we should consider the show as a success story and not try to fault it for things retroactively, but pretending that it is more than the best a room full of Hollywood writers (with more comedic chops than generalized brilliance) can do is frankly a disservice, not service, to the show.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Fiction doesn't just predict inventions; it causes them.

It starts when an author thinks "wouldn't it be cool if..." and writes a device into a story without bothering to think about the implementation details.

Then an inventor comes across the story and thinks, "hey, I could actually do that someday."

And someday, the technology to do it becomes available, and the inventor remembers the idea and builds the device.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

700 episodes with a new issue every single one means a lot of random guessing. The saying goes even a stopped watch is right twice a day. Then you have stuff that actually has an explanation, like, {scrubbed}. They had an episode YEARS before about that. Omg, simpsons predicted it! Except no, they didnt, {scrubbed} so it was fresh in their minds. A lot of the rest is just semi reasonable extrapolations of then current events and guesses about the future.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-03 at 12:46 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Throw enough spaghetti at the wall and some of it will stick.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It's not even the first time, sort of. I immediately thought of the Panda virus Bart gets from a mosquito in a Krusty toy.

As Lvl2 Expert said, Southpark made a good point with Simpsons Did It!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

My first thought was Bart's dream of Lisa being elected US President {scrubbed}. {Self-Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-03 at 12:48 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I should note that while The Simpson’s “predicted” {scrubbed}, they also predicted Lisa would be the first straight female President.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-03 at 12:50 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I should note that while The Simpson’s “predicted” {scrub the post, scrub the quote}, they also predicted Lisa would be the first straight female President.
    They haven't been proven wrong in that regard yet.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-03 at 12:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    They haven't been proven wrong in that regard yet.
    Wait, they predicted that there would be a lesbian president before Lisa? (Because the "straight" seems an unnecessary addition if she was the first female president ever)

Now, that does seem unlikely, but with zero female presidents as of yet, it might still happen.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2020-04-03 at 07:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Wait, they predicted that there would be a lesbian president before Lisa? (Because the "straight" seems an unnecessary addition if she was the first female president ever)

Now, that does seem unlikely, but with zero female presidents as of yet, it might still happen.
    Or bi. But yes, that would be the implication.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.