New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You've got your A/2/III thing, I've got my direct/overview/amuse thing; it all stems from there, no matter how much we might slip up on the way to our musallaneous and sundry ends.
    Fair, but that line was less a rrwuest/demand to you and more a [insert X here] comment on my third point not being a joke on bananas. I could have written it better.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-04-11 at 01:36 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fair, but that line was less a rrwuest/demand to you and more a [insert X here] comment on my third point not being a joke on bananas.
    Obviously. Responding was funnier, though
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #603

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Obviously. Responding was funnier, though
    I do see the appeal.

4. - Top - End - #604

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: RISE FROM THE GRAVE, OH THREAD OF OLD!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: RISE FROM THE GRAVE, OH THREAD OF OLD!
    "But Answers Post Day? Well... I like Answers Post Day."

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

New 2023-11 answers post on Patreon. It's not very long, and most of the questions aren't relevant to this thread. We should probably include question 8 that says Tarquin only has two children. We might include question 7 about a Dune reference and 12 on what Malack says about Nergal. We absolutely have to exclude question 4 due to forum rules, and should probably exclude question 10 too to be safe.

Update: We should also consider adding an entry for a recent forum answer saying that Wrecan is a Crusader, whatever that is.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-11-30 at 06:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Crussader is a class from Tome of Battle. Like the other martial initiator classes, the swordsage and the warblade, it uses martial maneuver, but it has a religious flavour.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Colossus in the Playground

Include all. I'm unaware of any forum rule saying "don't mention the OGL," and while I wouldn't personally find it tragic if #4 and 10 weren't included, I can see why people asked them and why people may still wonder about them if they don't see the answers.

Also include "Rich had no idea anyone thought Tarquin was a swordsage."
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-11-30 at 08:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Crussader is a class from Tome of Battle. Like the other martial initiator classes, the swordsage and the warblade, it uses martial maneuver, but it has a religious flavour.
    Also, I feel like that was specified in the comic, but I can't find it somehow.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

10. - Top - End - #610

Greg called him "crusader." What was ambiguous until Rich posted that, was whether he meant "heavy-armored guy from the Tome of Battle" or "guy who crusades and will be biting off more than he can chew if he tries to crusade at me."

11. - Top - End - #611

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Greg called him "crusader." What was ambiguous until Rich posted that, was whether he meant "heavy-armored guy from the Tome of Battle" or "guy who crusades and will be biting off more than he can chew if he tries to crusade at me."
    Or someone who goes on some damned-fool idealistic crusade.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Or someone who goes on some damned-fool idealistic crusade.
    I believe that was the implication of the second description, that vampire!Durkon would help him find out just how foolish if he continued.

Anyway, I think in this case we can reasonably say "it can be two things!"

13. - Top - End - #613

What is the OGL?

Was "swordsage" a popular theory or just one person's idea?

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I believe that was the implication of the second description, that vampire!Durkon would help him find out just how foolish if he continued.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

15. - Top - End - #615
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    What is the OGL?

This page explains the OGL and the controversy that raged in the D&D community in January of this year.

For the "swordsage" theory, as I don't follow the relevant threads, I don't have the faintest idea.

About the answers in today's post:

#1 should not be included. It's redundant with this quote, and even more so, with answer 2B in the Geekademia interview.

#11 should also be left out. It's not about the comic. Also, it's going to be obsolete soon enough.

I think all the others should be included, as well as the one about Wrecan being a Crusader.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I was wondering when the new procedure would get its first run....

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    #11 should also be left out. It's not about the comic. Also, it's going to be obsolete soon enough.
    It also runs afoul of Rule B3, being exclusively about merchandise availability, and on that basis I will not be considering it for inclusion.

Similarly, #13 cannot be done justice in this format would also run afoul of Rule B3.

Now let's see, in theory this can handle non-numeric labels so let's try the post as "P1" to distinguish the forum post from the Patreon answers post....

# Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 How do you feel about OOTS remaining (D&D) 3.5?
    Great.
    1 1 Vote-able In Favor: Kish

Against: Gwynfrid
    2 What makes a good magic system?
    Lack of bad drama.
    2 0 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish

Against:
    3 Would you ever appear on a tabletop gaming stream?
    No.

Against:
    4 Is the Open Gaming License an issue for the comic?
    No.
    2 1 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: b_jonas
    5 Why is your Patreon avatar Elan?
    Representative accuracy.

Against:
    6 How did you pick which Norse Gods made it into the Northern Pantheon?
    Matching names to reasons.

Against:
    7 Did you know Christopher Walken was going to appear in a Dune movie?
    No.

Against:
    8 Why was Tarquin obsessed with Elan and Nale?
    He saw extremes of personality.
    3 0 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish, b_jonas

Against:
    9 Do you read the forums anymore?
    No.

Against:
    10 Do you speed the plot up after reader feedback?
    Not anymore.
    2 1 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish

Against: b_jonas
    12 Does Neutrality fit death gods better than Evil?
    Only sometimes.

Against:
    P1 Wrecan is technically a Crusader.
    ...yes.
    3 0 Include In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish, Ruck

Against:

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I'm in favour pf including all that are in the table.

18. - Top - End - #618

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    More than one person was advocating it, but where it came from I never knew. It showed up long after his last appearance in the comic.

But since more than one person was advocating it, I do urge actually including that Rich said "no" to it, not just that Wrecan is a Crusader.
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-12-01 at 06:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the main takeaway from #9 is not "I don't read the forums anymore" (which is not new information), but rather "uh yeah maybe take my forum posts with a grain of salt"
    ungelic is us

20. - Top - End - #620

Okay. This one's a lot less informative than I hoped, but hey. Not gonna complain about New Word of the Giant! Anyway,

3; 4; 5: I find these supremely irrelevant; voting AGAINST including them.

6; 8; 9 especially if hroþila's suggested modification of the takeaway is considered); 10; 12; P1: should take their rightful place in the index; voting IN FAVOUR of including them.

I'm aggressively MEH on 1; 2; and 7; I'll officially ABSTAIN on those fronts.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote include 7 (Dune), 8 (Tarquin's children), P1 (Wrecan is a Crusader).
    I vote exclude 4, 9, 10, 11, 13. (The M:tG card Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug is a good enough representation of Laser Snail for me.)

22. - Top - End - #622

More than one person was advocating it, but where it came from I never knew. It showed up long after his last appearance in the comic.

But since more than one person was advocating it, I do urge actually including that Rich said "no" to it, not just that Wrecan is a Crusader.
    He didn't actually say no.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    So, does this nix "Tarquin is a Swordsage"? Cuz that Ballista Throw and the constricting stance were nova hot.

OMG, it nixes the Blue Carbuncle, too. Unless that's an ordinary Carbuncle.
    I honestly enjoy having had no awareness of either of these two theories.

EDIT: Wrecan is technically a Crusader so there's still some flexibility in each category anyway.
    I believe he didn't say no because I was wrong about the Blue Carbuncle and he didn't correct me. I told him it was nixed, he did not say it wasn't nixed, and then I found out the Carbuncle in the picture was actually a Blue Carbuncle.

So I'd say he's in full poker face here and not to be taken at face value. I won't go into semantics in this thread, I'm only asking that the quote not be summarized as, "No."
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

23. - Top - End - #623

Voting exclude #7 (too trivial), include all the rest.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Vote against all except the Crusader & swordsage ones. The latter of which I add my voice to Kish's to actually include.

As truly minor note: could you change the crusader id to F1? P being both initial of "post" and "patreon" is not helping.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-12-01 at 01:59 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #625
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I vote to exclude 3,4, and 7

I vote to include all others.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I think the main takeaway from #9 is not "I don't read the forums anymore" (which is not new information), but rather "uh yeah maybe take my forum posts with a grain of salt"
    That's not new information either, though.
    This is why I'm sorta starting to hate the out-of-context quoting; because I tend to exaggerate when speaking extemporaneously and describe things out of proportion to what I really intended when I wrote the scenes. I should learn to just stop talking about it, because everytime I say something I end up changing everyone's view of the events in the story, and I would be better served letting the story stand on its own and ignoring the critics.
    And, given the borderline histrionics that occurred when the Giant asked us not to index posts outside the OotS subforum unless they had something to do with OotS (which was only three months before the quoted section above), I'm a bit leery of trying to focus on the subject.

Still, what's everyone else think?

I won't go into semantics in this thread, I'm only asking that the quote not be summarized as, "No."
    I have a distaste for extrapolation when it comes to the entry descriptions, if that's what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As truly minor note: could you change the crusader id to F1? P being both initial of "post" and "patreon" is not helping.
    Done.

So that brings us to....
    # Question In Favor Against Disposition Posters
    1 How do you feel about OOTS remaining (D&D) 3.5?
    Great.
    4 2 Include In Favor: Aidan, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid
    2 What makes a good magic system?
    Lack of bad drama.
    5 1 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Grey_Wolf_c
    3 Would you ever appear on a tabletop gaming stream?
    No.
    4 3 Vote-able In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Metastachydium
    4 Is the Open Gaming License an issue for the comic?
    No.
    4 4 Vote-able In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Metastachydium, b_jonas
    5 Why is your Patreon avatar Elan?
    Representative accuracy.
    5 2 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, Metastachydium
    6 How did you pick which Norse Gods made it into the Northern Pantheon?
    Matching names to reasons.
    6 1 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

7 Did you know Christopher Walken was going to appear in a Dune movie?
    No.
    4 3 Vote-able In Favor: Gwynfrid, Kish, Tzardok, b_jonas

Against: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Sir_Norbert
    8 Why was Tarquin obsessed with Elan and Nale?
    He saw extremes of personality.
    7 1 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas

9 Do you read the forums anymore?
    No.
    6 2 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, b_jonas
    10 Do you speed the plot up after reader feedback?
    Not anymore.
    6 2 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

Against: Grey_Wolf_c, b_jonas
    12 Does Neutrality fit death gods better than Evil?
    Only sometimes.
    6 1 Include In Favor: Aidan, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok

F1 Wrecan is technically a Crusader.
    ...yes.
    9 0 Include In Favor: Aidan, Grey_Wolf_c, Gwynfrid, Kish, Metastachydium, Ruck, Sir_Norbert, Tzardok, b_jonas

Against:

Spoiler: Breakdown by Poster
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm in favor of including #7, though I would prefer a wording like "what is the actual reference in that strip".
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #628

I'm in favor of including all of them.

29. - Top - End - #629

I believe he didn't say no because I was wrong about the Blue Carbuncle and he didn't correct me. I told him it was nixed, he did not say it wasn't nixed, and then I found out the Carbuncle in the picture was actually a Blue Carbuncle.
    I'm not seeing where you found that out, Ox.

That said, I would prefer it be phrased as "Rich never knew that anyone thought Tarquin was a swordsage or the carbuncle from Good Deeds Gone Unpunished was a Blue Carbuncle," which covers exactly what he said while still allowing people to treat "swordsage" as a type of "fighter" if they so choose (which, to be clear, I never would. Average BAB, only proficient in light armor, proprietary access to the Shadow Hand discipline: if Tarquin was on the Rogue poster then I'd be saying "huh, maybe there's actually something to the swordsage idea").

That said, this seems to be being ignored anyway and I am confused. Jasdoif?

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

That said, this seems to be being ignored anyway and I am confused. Jasdoif?
    As (I think I) mentioned, I don't like to extrapolate for the entries (as opposed to the kind of interpolation necessary for summarizing), in much the same vein as my refusal to pass judgement on something the Giant's said; my view is that the Index should be providing neutral information for readers to make their own subjective interpretations from.

To that end....
    So, does this nix "Tarquin is a Swordsage"? Cuz that Ballista Throw and the constricting stance were nova hot.

OMG, it nixes the Blue Carbuncle, too. Unless that's an ordinary Carbuncle.
    I honestly enjoy having had no awareness of either of these two theories.

EDIT: Wrecan is technically a Crusader so there's still some flexibility in each category anyway.
    The Giant enjoying his ignorance of the "Tarquin is a Swordsage" theory is a personal preference that does not touch on the comic directly; for an entry this has no value one way or the other. Same with...whatever sequence of words is encompassing the Blue Carbuncle. Conversely, Wrecan technically being a Crusader does touch directly on a character in the comic and specific wording used in the comic; in the (highly likely) case the post gets an entry, that will be all it mentions.